Butterflysaurus rex

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Butterflysaurus rex

Re: Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Thank you Wurzel :D yes I was angry and upset when I saw what they had done. There's a lot of heavy handed "management" of the countryside around here, not at all helpful when it comes to wildlife :evil:

But hope springs eternal, with any luck things continue to improve there, unfortunately the butterfly friendly Fleabane has all gone from the site.

At least I found a new good spot for Common blues not far away :)

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Butterflysaurus rex

AT LAST

I finally got my season started today with the help of Badgerbob, I saw my first Small Tortoiseshell of 2014 as it flew past. After that things just got better and better when Bob kindly showed me some Wall Brown Larvae at his local spot.

Bob located 5 in under an hour, without his help I would still be out there looking.

When we next encounter these as adults they certainly won't let us get this close for a photo :wink: Thanks for a brilliant afternoon Bob :D

The first two are of a little'un.
Wall larva 1.JPG
Wall larva 2.JPG
This one was approximately twice the size.
Wall larva 3.JPG
B'saurus

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Hey James, good to see you got some great shots of them. A good couple of hours spent and glad we found some and you got your first butterfly of the year, adult and baby!!

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Nice shots of the Wall Brown larvae James :D

Mike

Butterflysaurus rex

Thanks very much Bob I'm very glad you found some :D I'm really pleased with the photos. It was nice to see my first butterfly of the year in such good company, usually I'm alone when I see my first one of the year so it made for a nice change.

I'm off to a great start :D

B'saurus
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Butterflysaurus rex

Thank you Mike :D it was fantastic to photograph a species that I've only ever seen as an adult, Wall Browns are one of my favourite butterflies so I'm rather chuffed.

B'saurus

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good to see you got your Wall cats Rex, and cracking shots they are too :D And you're off the mark too -ace!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Butterflysaurus rex

Cheers Wurzel :D Keep an eye out for my next post when I cautiously start my "sightings" Diary for 2014. With it only being early March I don't know how many more entries I'll be able to make but I had a great day today so......more to follow in a mo :D

Butterflysaurus rex

With signs of spring showing everywhere, and a gloriously warm and sunny afternoon on offer today I could not help but be tempted to venture outside for a couple of hours. There were two things that I was hoping to accomplish today and amazingly I managed to do both of them..... today was a good day :D

The first of these was to get a proper look at some butterflies, I saw one fly past "at speed" on Tuesday with Badgerbob but nothing settled meaning no photos. As soon as I arrived at the path leading to my ultimate destination I disturbed what I thought it was a Small Tortoiseshell. After tracking it for a while it landed and I got my first shot of the year, not a Small Tort after all! But a very tired and tatty Red Admiral, what a little warrior!
Red Ad.jpg
Further along the path I caught a glimpse of a Peacock chasing after a Small Tortoiseshell, things are definitely looking up I thought to myself :D

After another hundred yards or so I reached my destination. I've been telling Badgerbob about a spot near me where we get very good numbers of Wall Brown and that it would be a very good place to search for some Wall Larvae. There was a cool but gentle breeze the sun felt nice and warm so I was hoping against the odds that it would tempt a Wall caterpillar into view. I didn't fancy my chances much, I'd only just seen my first Wall Larvae thanks to Bob so finding one in a totally different location and flying solo this time I felt it would be some task. Nevertheless I intended to give it my best shot, if I failed then at least I'd managed to get my first butterfly photo of 2014.

Attempting to locate a Wall Brown Larva is exactly like trying to find a very small needle in an enormous haystack!

After searching for about 15 minutes something caught my eye, it looked like a larva but it was very dark, definitely not a Wall then - I thought. On closer inspection I appeared to have found a vacated larval skin. If anyone has any idea what it is/was please let me know.
Caterpillar skin.jpg
After that false alarm I stopped for a spot of lunch. Feeling refreshed I resumed my search, maybe the food had sharpened my senses but "I think it was pure luck" my efforts were rewarded with my first solo discovery of a Wall Brown Larva in a local place where I had suspected that there simply had to be some.

Compared with the ones I saw 'thanks to Bob' the size of this little fellow was roughly somewhere between the small one and the large one in last Tuesday's post.

This is where I found him/her enjoying some early spring warmth :)
Wall larva in habitiat March 6 2014 - 1.jpg
Wall larva in habitat March 6th 2014 - 2.jpg
I then managed to carefully isolate the larva on it's blade of grass before returning it safely to the place I'd found it.
Here's the larva on a blade of grass with my finger for scale, as you can see it was pretty small.
Wall lava & me March 6th 2014.jpg
And finally a few more shots of my little new found friend :D
Wall larva March 6th 2014 - 2.jpg
Wall larva March 6th 2014 - 3.jpg
Wall larva March 6th 2014 - 5.jpg
With that wonderful discovery I happily started back for home, on the way I spotted another Small Tortoiseshell, I couldn't resist stopping for a quick record shot.
Small Tort.jpg
It was a really enjoyable afternoon, and I promise that's it for Wall larva for now...... well maybe one more, but next time it will be just for fun :wink:

What do ya reckon Bob not too bad for a beginner eh? :D

B'saurus
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Butterflysaurus rex

Well you've heard of "spot the ball" competitions. This ones called SPOT THE WALL :D

Just for fun can anyone spot the wall larva, sorry no cash or real prizes. I hope it's not too easy........ good luck :wink:
Spot the Wall.jpg
B'saurus

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

I can see 5 in there!!! Only joking, but well done on finding your own little chap.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Even better sightings Rex plus self found Wall larvae :mrgreen: :D Mind you I've hurt my eyes playing your "spot the Wall" game, blooming Mozilla only zooms in a tiny bit :(

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Butterflysaurus rex

badgerbob wrote:I can see 5 in there!!! Only joking, but well done on finding your own little chap.
:lol: Well I can believe that Bob :wink: perhaps I should have said "spot the most obvious Wall larva" :D

B'saurus
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Butterflysaurus rex

Wurzel wrote:Even better sightings Rex plus self found Wall larvae :mrgreen: :D Mind you I've hurt my eyes playing your "spot the Wall" game, blooming Mozilla only zooms in a tiny bit :(

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Sorry about your poor eyes Wurzel, I'll give you a clue, it's down form the top, up from the bottom, right a little, left a little, and it's somewhere in the grass :wink:

Honestly there really is one in there, if it's a bit too hard I can post a slightly easier version. However if you go out looking to find a Wall caterpillar this is what it's like but on a much bigger scale! :shock:

B'saurus

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

No wonder I have never found a Wall caterpillar in the field!

Butterflysaurus rex

Hi Nick :D the camouflage on these little guys is just fantastic. You either need loads of patience and dedication (or like me) have a bit of good luck. I think my find had a lot more to do with the latter :wink: The one thing I have going for me (other than pretty good eyesight) is the knowledge that there are usually very good numbers of Wall Brown in that area 'almost every year' so I thought I had a pretty reasonable chance of finding one.

Best Wishes

B'saurus
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Butterflysaurus rex

8th of March 2014

Today I made my first trip of the year to Park Corner BC reserve in weather more akin to early April than early March!
Only a few minutes after arriving I spotted my first Comma of 2014 and it was in fabulous condition too. I saw a few more Commas during my time there
including a pair of males spiralling high up above my head, always a lovely sight :D
First Comma PCH March 8th 2014.JPG
There were also Male Brimstones aplenty ceaselessly patrolling (in vain for the moment) for females, it's a sight that makes my heart sing every spring.
Predictably they were almost impossible to photograph so I just sat back and enjoyed the spectacle occasionally being treated to a flypast at close quarters.

With these two species in the bag I've seen all of our resident hibernators in the space of a week :D

In what has been a week of firsts I saw my first Adder of the year - this individual was beautifully marked.
They are rather tricky to approach when it gets warm but this one allowed me a few shots before slinking off into the undergrowth.
PCH Adder 2 - 8th March 2014.JPG
I've had a really good week so far and the forecast says more glorious weather is in store for Sunday, heaven knows we need some sunshine after all that rain.
A great start to 2014 for me, I hope it continues..................

B'saurus

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great sot of the Comma and the Adder is lush Rex :D :mrgreen: I to hope that this continues and we don't have a repeat of 2012 when it all wnet cold and damp again after a few great weeks in March :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Butterflysaurus rex

I've been thinking the same thing Wurzel, I suppose we can only hope that the jet stream behaves itself this year. I got lucky with the Comma and Adder encounters, they were both in tip top condition. Thank you for the compliment :D

B'saurus

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

OK James, are you going to put us out of our misery as I now have a headache from staring at your photo :lol: Like Wurzel I can't magnify it much - my best guess would be on the blade of grass that is almost horizontal, slightly to the right of the photo with the vertical blade crossing it - but it could just be a trick of the light?

Return to “Personal Diaries”