Long tailed Blues in Kent

Discussion forum for sightings.
Marc Heath

Re: Long tailed Blues in Kent

Post by Marc Heath »

At least 10 Long tailed Blue seen by friends this morning between Minnis Bay and Reculver along the railway embankment in North Kent
Steve Babbs

Post by Steve Babbs »

I saw two, well, this morning, opposite the 'Moonraker' house, as well as a clouded yellow.
Attachments
longtailedblueweb.jpg
longtailedblue1web.jpg
lee3764

Post by lee3764 »

Well done Steve! Nice to see the long-tailed Blues are still going strong there.
Cheers,
Lee Slaughter (Cornwall).
David M

Post by David M »

Wow! Long Tailed Blue AND Clouded Yellow on a UK October day....

....amazing.
Steve Babbs

Post by Steve Babbs »

David M wrote:Wow! Long Tailed Blue AND Clouded Yellow on a UK October day....

....amazing.
It certainly didn't feel like October: I was wandering round in a t shirt!
David M

Post by David M »

Steve Babbs wrote:
David M wrote:Wow! Long Tailed Blue AND Clouded Yellow on a UK October day....

....amazing.
It certainly didn't feel like October: I was wandering round in a t shirt!
Me too this afternoon in south Wales, but all I saw were common vanessids, Small White, Speckled Wood and Small Copper.

You've had a glorious day by the sound of it.
Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Oh Yessss as Churchill often says, what a great day at Kingsdown Leas. Two Clouded Yellows and four LTBs preventing me from a nervous breakdown or worse. The Clouded Yellows were both fly byes but the LTBs behaved very well. One female was very worn but two males and a second female were in great condition.
Hi to everyone we met today, thanks for all the help in finding the butterflies, great to see everyone getting superb views and enjoying the beautiful weather.
Now that's how to post on the topic of LTBs, much more satisfactory.
Cheers Paul

Post by lee3764 »

Paul Wetton wrote:Oh Yessss as Churchill often says, what a great day at Kingsdown Leas. Two Clouded Yellows and four LTBs preventing me from a nervous breakdown or worse. The Clouded Yellows were both fly byes but the LTBs behaved very well. One female was very worn but two males and a second female were in great condition.
Hi to everyone we met today, thanks for all the help in finding the butterflies, great to see everyone getting superb views and enjoying the beautiful weather.
Hi Paul,

I told you that you would see the Long-tailed Blues today! persistance pays off! Well done! Can we see some of your photos or video please?
Cheers & well done again!
walpolec

Post by walpolec »

brian laney wrote:If I do manage to get down to Kent I will let everyone know the outcome.
Brian Laney.
Hi Brian
I tried to PM you last night and today - but my messages remained obstinately in my Outbox. Anyway, thanks for your PM: did you go?!
Chris
Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Hi Lee

Glad you were confident as I was just hopeful but it was well worth the 1500 miles or so in the end. This wasn't a totally new species for me having had poor views overseas but these were my first UK LTBs and by far the best views ever. one or two sat and allowed photographers to within an inch away from them.

I'll sort some photos and video at some point if they're any good. Not had a look yet as we've only just arrived home. Hope there are some decent shots and video clips.
Cheers Paul

Post by lee3764 »

"1500 miles or so"...............HAA HAAA HAAAAAAA!!!............That completely trashes my 676 miles !!! Still.....Common as it is around southern Europe and in other areas in the world, until this year it remained a very rare migrant that anyone would be very fortunate indeed to see in Britain just once in their life! Well done again & look forward to seeing any photos or video that you took!
All the best,
David M

Post by David M »

Paul Wetton wrote:Oh Yessss as Churchill often says, what a great day at Kingsdown Leas. Two Clouded Yellows and four LTBs preventing me from a nervous breakdown or worse. The Clouded Yellows were both fly byes but the LTBs behaved very well. One female was very worn but two males and a second female were in great condition.
Congratulations, Paul.

I sense how much this meant to you and you put in a great deal of effort (as well as mileage).
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Congratulations Paul and to everyone else who has put the effort into seeing the LTBs over the past few weeks.

Due to family circumstances I knew that I would not be able to take the time to get down there and reading this thread has given me a great amount of pleasure, even though it is second hand :D

Well done to all and heres to hoping that there will be some more sightings to come before the weather changes, as it is forecast to do later in the week.

Neil F.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Lee
1500 miles or so"...............HAA HAAA HAAAAAAA!!!............That completely trashes my 676 miles !!!
Well all those miles and carbon emissions must be helping with climate change. So if we keep chasing LT Blues, then by warming the planet, we will increase the frequency that they arrive on these shores.

I’m just jealous of course. Had I still lived in Cambridgeshire, I would certainly have made my contribution to global warming.

Jack
Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Hi again

Haven't even looked at the video yet but have downloaded the still images. Nothing fantastic but some nice reminders of our attempts to find these little beauties.
Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and not forgetting all the other folks there today from the Midlands, well done to you all as well for making the journey and seeing them.

Hers a few shots.

First male pointed out by Adrian (thanks much appreciated)
First Male LTB
First Male LTB
First Male opens up
First Male opens up
First but very worn female relocated by Helen
First female
First female
Second male close by
Second pristine male
Second pristine male
Finally a pristine female
Pristine female
Pristine female
Enjoy I know we did.
Cheers Paul
Stock Contributor

Post by IainLeach »

Glad to hear there was a good showing of LTB's this weekend and that more people got a chance to see something of this mega rare event
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Great to hear that the vast majority of people are connecting with LTBs - it could be a long wait for another opportunity. Congratulations all, most latterly Paul W. If you hadn't seen them at Kingsdown I was going to refrain from posting our results at Newhaven today, on the grounds of mental cruelty!
BWs, Neil
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Another pair photographed in cop at Minnis Bay on the North Kent coast see http://www.atropos.info/flightarrivals/?entry=10 :D
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Thanks Neil especially for your help in looking for the LTBs. I must admit, if there had been none on Sunday the madness probably would have crept up on me. Luckily we connected though.
Cheers Paul
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

It looks like Thursday will be my first free day to try and see a British Long Tailed Blue - just in time for the warm weather to stop!

If anyone is at Kingsdown in the morning, or perhaps Sussex later in the day, do say hello :D

Best wishes

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.

Return to “Sightings”