jackz432r

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Paul Harfield

Re: jackz432r

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Wurzel
Thanks for the comments :D I have now finally caught up with postings........ well almost :? I have had to leave out several unsuccessful visits searching for White Letter Hairstreaks to be able to do it though :(

Hi Chris
Thanks for the moth ids, I can always rely on you :D

Here is another one for you, there were loads of these at Oxenbourne Down on Sunday.
Plenty of these at Oxenbourne
Plenty of these at Oxenbourne
I just realised I had not posted any Chalkhill Blue pictures so here are a couple more from Oxenbourne Down 4.8.2013
2 Chalkhill Blues Feeding
2 Chalkhill Blues Feeding
2 Chalkhill Blues Roosting
2 Chalkhill Blues Roosting
2 Male Silver Spotted Skippers
2 Male Silver Spotted Skippers

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Tuesday 6.8.2013 Steyning Rifle Range

By sheer luck I happened to be working In Steyning, West Sussex this week :D I could not have planned it better if had tried. Right at the start of Brown Hairstreak season, good weather and 10 minute walk from one of the best sites for this species in the country (Sussex Kippers words) Although my job does not normally give me much scope for private entertainment within the working day :( , this was an opportunity not to be missed :D So I managed to get myself an extended lunch break by grovelling to my boss :? , but this still did not give me very long to do the business.

I got a little advance advice from Neil 'Sussex Kipper', his instructions to me were, 'you MUST be there between 11am and 2pm'. My host, where I was working, was very accommodating and gave me walking directions to the Rifle Range and told me to take as long as I needed, 'Across the roundabout, past the pub, past the police station, up the alley, across the cricket pitch etc etc etc........' Although it was only a 10 minute walk I needed to ask several other people 'en route' to make sure I was heading in the right direction. I arrived at the site just before 1pm, well within the given time window. On the gate there is a hand crafted sign which reads 'Butterfly Land' and sports a painting of a Brown Hairstreak. I hoped that it was going to live up to this title. I had to be a little careful not to be distracted by other butterfly species as my time was very limited, I needed to focus on the target species. As I walked down the slope toward the special spot I could see there was a couple of other guys already on the same mission.UKBers Leigh 'mud-puddling' who was nursing his sick daughter and Colin Knight up to his waist in Blackthorn bushes. They told me that Neil 'Sussex Kipper' was on site and that a couple of Brown Hairstreak had already been seen a little earlier. I was shown photos taken of the earlier sighting as per Sussex Kippers diary, excellent as they were I felt a little disappointed that I had missed it :( Neil then arrived and immediately spotted a Painted Lady a few feet away which we had not noticed. I watched, listened and learned as Neil photographed the Painted Lady. We were then joined by UKBer Mark Colvin. It was a great pleasure meeting you all and putting faces to the names I regularly read on this site. My short time there was spent with eyes glued to the Ash and Blackthorn, trying not to be distracted by the numerous Gatekeepers, and ears focused on Neils informative conversation.

I pushed my lunchbreak to the absolute limit, but unfortunately did not get to see my Brown Hairstreak. I joked that one would appear as soon as I left, I hope that was not the case. Inspite of the lack of Brown Hairstreak, I did get to see my first Grass Snake which slithered across the path right in front of us :D I also saw 14 other butterfly species, not bad considering I was not really looking. My humble 'point and shoot' stayed firmly in my pocket, being slightly embarrassed in the company of better equipped and more experienced company. A thoroughly enjoyable if unsuccessful hour spent in good company :D

Total tally for the visit:-
Common Blue 1
Holly Blue several
Small Heath 1
Gatekeeper several
Meadow Brown several
Whites several
Red Admiral 2
Painted Lady 2
Peacock 1
Comma 1
Silver Washed Fritillary 1
Wall Brown 1
Speckled Wood several
Brimstone 2

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
mud-puddling

Post by mud-puddling »

Nice to meet you; and don't worry I don't think anymore were seen that day :-)

Hopefully you will get a chance to come back and see this stunning butterfly. Not easy but definitely worth it.

Leigh

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I would have thought that they should be knocking about for another week of two at least so you should get another chance Jack :D At least you have all the insider information now :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Plenty of time to fill your boots yet! Egg laying only commenced today, so peak numbers should be last week August and first week September. Hope you can get back for another try, but I would leave it for about another week.
Best Wishes, Neil

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi All

Leigh - I hope your daughter is on the road to recovering from her bout of Chicken Pocks. The youngsters thankfully get over it very quickly in comparison to when I got it in my late 20s :D

Wurzel - Thanks for the encouragement :D

Neil - Thanks for all the help and encouragement :D All the information has been logged into my memory banks :wink:

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Sunday 11.8.2013 Noar Hill

In Search Of Brown Hairstreak And Clouded Yellow

With all the talk and sightings reports of migrants of late my first thoughts were to try and put myself in a good coastal location on Sunday. However, I could not get Brown Hairstreaks out of my mind, after my unsuccessful visit to Steyning Rifle Range last week. I had also had a tip off that there had been some Clouded Yellows at Noar Hill during the week (thanks Nick) so I decided to head there with the combined possibility of Brown Hairstreak and Clouded Yellow. Although I have seen Clouded Yellow before, a few years ago at Highcliffe, that was before I was actively seeking butterflies. I certainly have not seen one close up and I have yet to see any Brown Hairstreak.

I woke to unexpected rain which persisted until late morning :( so I decided to delay my normal early morning start and try an afternoon visit, as the weather looked much better PM. I left home at 1pm only to immediately get stuck in traffic :( One of the perils of living near the Rosebowl Cricket Ground :( I then managed to get stuck at the petrol station for a while after a camper van managed to collide with another vehicle at the pumps :shock: , causing chaos and panic amongst the Sainsburys staff. I eventually got on my way rather later than intended, I was beginning to wish I had gone out in the rain :? All I could think of whilst driving up to Noar Hill was Sussex Kippers instructions 'you MUST be there between 11am and 2pm for Brown Hairstreak' , it was almost 2pm as I arrived.
Common Blue 11.8.2013 Noar Hill
Common Blue 11.8.2013 Noar Hill
Green Veined White 11.8.2013 Noar Hill
Green Veined White 11.8.2013 Noar Hill
This is only my second visit to this site, having visited almost exactly a year ago. I can remember being very disappointed this time last year having seen very few butterflies, only 5 species in fact. What a difference a year makes, this time I saw 5 species walking up the track before even entering the site :D Once I got into the site proper there seemed to be butterflies everywhere and within a few minutes I also had spotted a Clouded Yellow :D :D An unsuccessful attempt at a photo told me I would have to learn this species pretty quick if I was to be successful. It was Peacocks and aged Silver Washed Fritillaries which seemed to be the most numerous species as well as the whites of course. Every head of Hemp Agrimony seemed to be adorned with several of these two species. These were closely followed in numbers by Common Blues, Gatekeepers, Meadow Browns and Brimstones. Small Tortoiseshell, Red Admiral, Comma, Small Heath and Small Skipper also made an appearance. The latter being very faded now.
Painted Lady 11.8.2013 Noar Hill
Painted Lady 11.8.2013 Noar Hill
Ragged Female Silver Washed Fritillary 11.8.2013 Noar Hill
Ragged Female Silver Washed Fritillary 11.8.2013 Noar Hill
At my first of several visits to the so called 'triangle' I spotted a nice Painted Lady as well as several Silver Washed Fritillaries. I also bumped into several other UKbers at the same spot looking for that elusive Brown Hairstreak. Hello to Jim, Nick and Mark 'tuts' Tutton. The hollow at the back of the reserve was filled with Brimstones, Whites, Common Blues, Peacocks, Silver Washed Fritillaries and one Marbled White, but I then spotted another Clouded Yellow on the far side so I descended the bank to try and get a photo. I witnessed several moments when this Clouded Yellow would muscle in on a Brimstones nectaring position, the Clouded Yellow always the victor. The Clouded Yellow seemed a little more determined than the Brimstone which were rather laid back, having plenty of time on their hands I imagine. I managed to get several pictures of this Clouded Yellow once I had got used to its distinctive feeding pattern. It then proceeded to fly into a spiders web :shock: at which point I was in two minds as to what to do. Should I let nature take its course or should I intervene :? Thankfully, after a few seconds frantic flapping of wings, it managed to free itself apparently unscathed. I also managed to get some of the best Brimstone photos I have managed to date. Snapshots to most I imagine, but with my basic camera I am easily pleased :lol:
Brimstone 11.8.2013 Noar Hill
Brimstone 11.8.2013 Noar Hill
Clouded Yellow 11.8.2013 Noar Hill
Clouded Yellow 11.8.2013 Noar Hill
Feeling quite pleased with my Clouded Yellow :D giving me 50% success on my days targets, I decided to have another look at the triangle, just in case. It was well outside of the 11am-2pm window now, infact nearly 4pm. Again no success, so I wandered through a wooded area and found a clearing behind the Triangle where a large Ash Tree had fallen. At the other side of the clearing was another large Ash tree, the side of which was catching the late sunshine. As I looked up a small brown butterfly caught my eye, gradually working its way up the tree, settling momentarily every now and again, until it disappeared into the foliage near the top. Brown Hairstreak......... :?: well who knows, it was too far away to get a good view and of course I had no binoculars :oops: It could have been a speckled Wood of course, but in my mind it was a Brown Hairstreak 8)

Clouded Yellow brings my species tally for the year up to 33.

Total count for the day (approximate):-
Red Admiral 5
Peacock 30
Painted Lady 1
Comma 5
Small Tortoiseshell 5
Silver Washed Fritillary 25
Common Blue 25
Large White 20
Small White 10
Green Veined White 10
Brimstone 20
Clouded Yellow 3
Small Skipper 20
Gatekeeper 25
Meadow Brown 20
Marbled White 1
Small Heath 5
Ringlet 3
Speckled Wood 5

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Tuesday 13.8.2013 At Home & In The Garden

My wife and the boys are away for a few days down in Selsey. I have given my eldest son strict instructions to be on the lookout for unusual butterflies, I could not have picked a better place to put him :wink: On Monday he informed me that he had seen a Swallowtail and 3 Clouded Yellows :D However, in the past he has demonstrated an expert ability to pull the wool over my eyes :lol: So I will reserve judgement on his claims until I can see some evidence. I have not heard anything from him since then.

Buff Ermine Larvae

I have not posted much about these as I am finding them quite difficult to photograph as they are still very small (currently about 7-8mm long). The larvae have just started to shed their skins for the first time. The larvae released into the garden seem to have disappeared, I can not find any sign of them. They are either masters of camouflage and concealment or they have been eaten.
Buff Ermine Larvae 13.8.2013 with recently shed skin
Buff Ermine Larvae 13.8.2013 with recently shed skin

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Sunday 18.8.2013 Fort Gilkicker, Gosport

In Search of Migrants - Part 1

The migrant season seems to be gathering pace, so I thought I had better 'make hay while the sun shines' and head for the coast :D Being lucky enough to live on the South Coast means the world is my oyster when it comes to finding a suitable location at the moment. It is almost exactly a year since I visited Fort Gilkicker in Gosport, hopefully it would deliver what I was in search of. I know that in the past many migrants have been recorded here, including Swallowtail and Long Tailed Blue.
Swallowtail Food!
Swallowtail Food!
Small White 18.8.2013 Gilkicker
Small White 18.8.2013 Gilkicker
The weather forecast looked a bit 'touch and go' with sunny spells and showers, but the morning looked to be the best bet. So I headed off and arrived on site at 9.30. My preferred parking spot for this site is along the road by the golfcourse. This necessitates a walk straight across the golfcourse and requiring one to be aware of low flying balls (for ones own safety) and putting golfers off their stroke. As I walked along the path to the fort I could not help but notice several large clumps of Fennel, ideal for passing Swallowtails I thought to myself. There was quite a strong South Westerley breeze blowing meaning that the Eastern side and the area to the north of the fort were the most sheltered. It was here that I encountered my first of several several Meadow Browns and Small Whites. A few Green Veined Whites, the first of many Common Blues and a few Gatekeepers were the next species seen in the area immediately around the Fort.
Ominous looking rain cloud after it had deposited its contents on me
Ominous looking rain cloud after it had deposited its contents on me
I had to rescue this chap from the path, he became rather attached to my finger.
I had to rescue this chap from the path, he became rather attached to my finger.
Others have noted extreme size differences within some species this year, I found examples of this in both Meadow Brown and Common Blue. Once I had done a couple of circuits of the Fort I spotted a very heavy shower over the Isle Of Wight which appeared to coming my way :shock: Within 10 minutes it was right overhead and I was drenched :( there is no shelter at all here. I briefly considered calling it a day, but I could see that beyond the downpour was blue sky, this was all the incentive I needed :D The shower was soon over and I forgot all about being soaked once the butterflies started to come to life in the sunshine. I took a walk along the scrubby area at the back of the beach towards Strokes Bay. Here I encountered lots of Common Blues each one of which I scrutinised very closely, just to make sure they were not anything exotic. I spotted one fresh male Common Blue in the middle of the path. I felt it necessary to move him to a safer spot, but he was unwilling to leave my finger :D Large White, Small Heath and Small Copper increased the days species list. However, still no migrants spotted, not even one of those 'common old' Clouded Yellows.
Female Common Blue 18.8.2013 Gilkicker
Female Common Blue 18.8.2013 Gilkicker
Small Copper 18.8.2013 Gilkicker
Small Copper 18.8.2013 Gilkicker
I made my way back towards the Fort. As I got there at almost exactly midday, I spotted an unmistakeable yellow butterfly fluttering around into the stiff breeze towards the sea, settling every now and again. This was a female Clouded Yellow :D, at times almost invisible when settled on the pebbles. I stayed with it for some time as it crossed the main pathway on to the beach area. As I knelt, trying not to take my eyes off it, a couple of birders stopped to see what I was watching. I was pleased to be able to show them their first ever Clouded Yellow :D As we watched, another Clouded Yellow, a male, flew past. Shortly after they had left me to take my photos I bumped into them again and they enthusiastically informed me they had seen 3 more. I confirmed this by the time I left with a total of 5 seen as well as 2 Red Admirals just as I was leaving. No Swallowtails, Long Tailed Blues or Queen Of Spain Fritillary, but I left feeling fairly pleased with Clouded Yellows and the highest count of Common Blues that I have encountered at any site, probably because I was watching them more closely than usual :wink:
Female Clouded Yellow 18.8.2013 Gilkicker
Female Clouded Yellow 18.8.2013 Gilkicker
Male Clouded Yellow 18.8.2013 Gilkicker
Male Clouded Yellow 18.8.2013 Gilkicker
Total count at the Fort:-
Meadow Brown 19
Small White 12
Green Veined White 7
Common Blue 41 ( 33 male & 8 female)
Gatekeeper 6
Large White 2
Small Heath 6
Small Copper 2
Clouded Yellow 5
Red Admiral 2

But this was not the end of my visit........Part 2 follows shortly

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Sunday 18.8.2013 Fort Gilkicker, Gosport

In Search Of Migrants - Part 2

So as I left Fort Gilkicker I text my wife to say I would be back in half an hour and I drove a couple of hundred yards up the road to turn around. The public car park at the entrance to the Golf Club is a convenient turning place. As I pulled in I remembered from last year that there was a large Buddleia bush at the edge of the car park :D , indeed there was already a couple studying this particular bush as I pulled in. So I parked up and went off to have a look. The Buddleia had plenty of Large Whites busy nectaring and a solitary Small Tortoiseshell, but my attention was drawn further along the edge of the carpark where there was lots of 'white' activity involving all three varieties plus a fair few Common Blues and a Small Copper. Then I spotted something which looked a little different perched on some Bramble. This was a very pale looking female Clouded Yellow with a greenish tinge :D :D , I thought it was probably my first helice but was not sure. It was cloudy at this point and although the other whites were still very active this individual was not keen to take to the air, giving me plenty of photo opportunity. A male Clouded Yellow then flew over and started nectaring close by.
My first helice female Clouded Yellow 18.8.2013 Gilkicker
My first helice female Clouded Yellow 18.8.2013 Gilkicker
Normal  female Clouded Yellow
Normal female Clouded Yellow
Large White activity !
Large White activity !
A group of ladies looking for bees wandered over and asked what I was watching and for the second time in a day I was pleased to point out their first ever Clouded Yellow :D Whilst I was chatting my attention was drawn to more Clouded Yellow activity in the middle of the disused area of car park. Half of this carpark is closed off to cars and is overgrown with lots of what I think is Hawkweed. I could see several Clouded Yellows and Something smaller that looked different to anything else I had seen. I approached and found this was another 'pale' Clouded Yellow of some description with white upperwings and only a fraction the size of all the others. I was convinced I had found something very exotic and spent some considerable time trying to get photos to make sure I could identify it later. I had read in other recent posts that a backlit shot is vital for identification purposes. This particular individual also seemed to have darker than normal markings particularly on one hind wing. After I had pursued this individual for long enough I had a look around the area and found 2 more pale individuals and several other 'normal' Clouded Yellows. They all seemed to find the Hawkweed irresistible.
helice female Clouded Yellow 18.8.2013 Gilkicker
Lots of Clouded Yellow in this disused area of the car park
Lots of Clouded Yellow in this disused area of the car park
When I checked the time I was shocked to see that I had actually been in the car park for over an hour and was now in big trouble :shock: . I beat a hasty retreat passing the Buddleia on the way and adding a Comma to the tally and what I think was a Holly Blue which did not stop for a close look. I left feeling pretty happy with my special Clouded Yellows. I was later to discover that all 4 of the pale versions I saw were helice.

Total tally for the carpark:-
Clouded Yellow 10 (including 4 helice)
Small Tortoiseshell 1
Comma 1
Large White 9+
Small White 8+
Green Veined White 6+
Small Copper 1
Common Blue 10
Holly Blue? 1

Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Paul
Seems car parks are the place to be! Although I have to say it has crossed my mind that all sorts of inference could be made about wandering around car parks with a camera :shock:
I too have been keeping an eye on a location in Portsmouth which is a car park by the Solent and at THE car park at Hayling, and findings are much the same. It seems the gravel surface is a good medium for Hawkweed and the CY definitely seems more attracted to this than other plants. I saw my first Helice in June this year, in Norfolk bizzarely while looking for Swallowtails, and that too was on Hawkweed on a gravel surface.
Every time I see a Helice (three yesterday at the Pompey site) I make a special effort to give it close scrutiny just in case but to date none have given any more than a passing doubt. I note on the Hants BC that a supposed Pale Clouded Yellow was reported from Noar Hill but the picture that was posted was inconclusive to me.
I think it was Guy who mentioned that Pale and Bergers were more prone to nectar on clover so perhaps that may be a good pointer.
Best Wishes
Mark :D

The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great report Jack with useful observations (I'll be checking out stony ground a bit more) and really envious of your Helice - something I've yet to see :mrgreen: I too know that sinking feeling when you've become absorbed by butterflies and arrive home late :oops: :( Mind you I never learn and I regularly make it!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

jim

Post by jim »

Hello Jack ,Its Jim from Noar Hill ,saw nothing conclusive at spot where we were but went further up sight and met older couple who spotted a brown hairstreak low down on hazel. It was at begining of path towards the last pit at approx 2pm Monday.Have repoerted it on hants and iow site so it might be worth another visit.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Just catching up with this thread again - and very impressed with the fantastic pictures!

Just a small correction to what I am reported as saying, in case it misleads anyone! Both clouded yellows and pale clouded yellows use red clover as a hostplant. It is Berger's that doesn't - mostly using horseshoe vetch but also crown vetch. My comment about nectaring on red clover was related to separating pale clouded and Berger's. Here in Switzerland, where Berger's is generally commoner, a good way of finding pale clouded is to search clover fields or keep an eye open for a butterfly that seems to have a special interest in clover. A female that is actually laying on red clover is an even bigger giveaway.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Mark
I know what you mean about loitering and carrying a camera in unusual locations :? I am normally very aware of who/what is going on around me especially when in a location where I might look somewhat conspicuous. I have to say that on this occasion I was totally engrossed in the Clouded Yellows :D

Hi Wurzel
Thanks for the comments and the sympathy :wink:

Hi Jim
Well done for getting back to Noar Hill and checking out that location at a better time of day, sorry your efforts were unsuccessful. I might try and squeeze another visit in next weekend :D

Hi Guy
Thanks for the comments and update on the Clouded Yellow info.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Bits And Bobs

Friday 23.8.2013 Riddlesdown

Last Friday I managed to do a 'Wurzel' :shock: In other words I did a quick stop off after work for a few minutes to see what was about. Well in fact it was not really a 'Wurzel' because I was actually there for 15 minutes, which is probably 3 times too long for a proper one :wink: I had been working just around the corner from Riddlesdown in Surrey. I make a yearly visit to this location for work and manipulated my working day to allow me to stop off after work before enduring the Friday afternoon M25 for the long journey home.
DSCN8457 - Copy.JPG
Chalkhill Blue 23.8.2013 Riddlesdown
Chalkhill Blue 23.8.2013 Riddlesdown
Riddlesdown is a steep area of Chalk Downland owned and managed by the City of London, near Purley. Unfortunately, after a lovely sunny day there was now a thick haze blotting out the sun when I arrived just before 5pm. I struggled to get any pictures and there was not a lot flying, but there were several whites and Meadow Browns, a Common Blue and a few Chalkhills. I was quite surprised to find such a site so close to Central London.

Tuesday 27.8.2013 Captive Buff Ermine Larvae

These have come on rapidly over the last week or so.I have now released some more into the garden and kept just a few captive. I have not been able to find any of the previously released ones, they are either very well hidden or have perished. The largest are now third instar.
Third instar Buff Ermine larva 27.8.2013
Third instar Buff Ermine larva 27.8.2013
DSCN8524 - Copy.JPG
Tuesday 27.8.2013 Wandering Small Tortoiseshells

On Tuesday I returned home from work to find a Small Tortoiseshell roosting in my kitchen :D My kitchen is quite cool and does not receive full sun at all. After work the following day our new house guest was still in the same spot, so I gently moved him outside where it was still warm and sunny to allow him to find a more suitable spot. I think it would have been still there in spring had I left it in situ. This was actually the second one in a week. My wife found the first one in the bathroom earlier in the week. When I asked what sort it had been she said it was 'just an ordinary one' :? :lol: , maybe some education is in order :wink:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It's nice finding a little oasis isn't it :D Fifteen minutes us definitely at the upper end of the allowed time frame for a Wurzel stop off but you'll get quicker with practice :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Wurzel wrote:It's nice finding a little oasis isn't it :D Fifteen minutes us definitely at the upper end of the allowed time frame for a Wurzel stop off but you'll get quicker with practice :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Hi Wurzel
I will try and master it for next season :wink:

31.8.2013 - 5.9.2013 At Home

Buff Ermine Larvae

These larvae are growing rapidly and the largest are now in their fourth instar. With this most recent skin change there has also been a significant change in colour. I have released a few more into the garden. Hopefully this gradual release will help to increase the numbers surviving to the adult stage :D
3rd instar Buff Ermine larva 31.8.2013
3rd instar Buff Ermine larva 31.8.2013
3rd instar larva just before skin change and 4th instar larva recently changed 5.9.2013
3rd instar larva just before skin change and 4th instar larva recently changed 5.9.2013
4th instar Buff Ermine larva 5.9.2013
4th instar Buff Ermine larva 5.9.2013

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Saturday 7.9.2013 Stephens Castle Down

With my boys football season due to recommence tomorrow, my opportunities for butterfly watching are likely to diminish somewhat :( So today I made a brief Saturday afternoon visit to Stephens Castle Down, my local site. In pursuit of Migrants and Brown Hairstreaks recently, I have managed to completely miss out on August' goings on' here.
Roosting Common Blue
Roosting Common Blue
Roosting Small Heath
Roosting Small Heath
Unfortunately Saturdays are difficult for me and the earliest I could get to site was 4pm. The weather was not great today anyway and at 4pm I had missed the best of it :( Cool, windy and cloudy conditions greeted me with the occasional sunny spell. Needless to say there was not much flying. A couple of Small Whites fluttering around the gate as I entered the site was about it :o I spent a while looking around the best areas and just one Small Heath took to the air briefly. So I spent a bit of time looking for roosting butterflies. At previous visits I have found one particular area which the blues find attractive for roosting. Today I found a couple of male Common Blues and another Small Heath. I have been hoping to find Silver Spotted Skippers at this site but I have probably missed them if they are there, I will try again this week if the weather is appropriate.
........and the clouds rolled in
........and the clouds rolled in
After an hour or so the skies started to blacken and I felt a few rain spots :( I looked in danger of a soaking so I called it a day :(

Total count for the day:-

Small Heath 2
Small White 2
Common Blue 2 both male

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Hi Jack, just catching up on your diary, lovely Clouded Yellow shots, especially the helice :D If you feel that you saw a Brown Hairstreak at Noar in the Ash, then it probably was :wink:

Mike

Return to “Personal Diaries”