Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Sussex Kipper

Post by Neil Hulme »

Fit To Burst

I've always been intrigued to know how butterflies manage to deal with some of the problems associated with prolonged periods of atrocious weather, such as that experienced here in Sussex over the last few weeks. Brown Hairstreaks are usually notoriously fussy about the weather conditions under which they're prepared to go about their business - but what if they have no choice? In a 'normal' August they generally won't go egg-laying unless it's warm and sunny, and mostly between 11am and 3pm. In an average summer they will happily sit around doing nothing for a few days, until the weather dictates that every other species is on the wing, and you can hear the 'song' of grasshoppers and crickets.

At least locally, conditions have been unsuitable for oviposition since 16th August. A brief spell of milky sunshine on the 18th saw them starting to move around the canopy, but they weren't tempted to descend and lay eggs. After a further five days of rain, high winds and zero sunshine the females must have been fit to burst, and the necessity to get rid of some eggs must have become the over-riding factor in their behaviour.

On Tuesday (23rd August) I joined Colin Knight at Steyning Rifle Range, in conditions only marginally better than of late. Nothing else was flying - not even Meadow Browns, which remained cowering in the grass. However, with a brief thinning of the cloud and a modest rise in temperature, a couple of female Brown Hairstreaks were busy laying eggs - very busy! On a warm and sunny day they are usually very particular about selecting an oviposition site, constantly testing and rejecting numerous candidates before finally popping one out. This might take 15 minutes of indecision between lays, following many prolonged 'tests' on a number of blackthorn suckers. However, on Tuesday we watched a female crawl straight to the base of a sucker and squeeze out four eggs on the trot, in less than five minutes. Two were laid side-by-side and the others just above and below (one just out-of-frame in the image below). Five minutes later and a heavy shower brought the day's action to an end.

In previous years I've noticed how extended spells of particularly bad weather can influence the egg batch size in Duke of Burgundy. Whereas the 'norm' might be anything between one and three, after one particularly lengthy period of 'no fly' weather I found two batches of eight and one of ten eggs! Never a good idea to have 'all your eggs in one basket', but it seems that butterflies are quite capable of changing their behaviour when 'needs must'. Which is why of course, that our butterflies are so adept at surviving our b****y awful summers!
UKB BH Steyning 23.8.10.jpg
UKB BH eggs, Steyning 23.8.10.jpg

Diary entries for 2010 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

A really intuitive insight, coupled with experience. Thanks for those observations, which will be of benefit to all the butterfly watchers on this site. :D

Diary entries for 2010 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I am trying not to give you too inflated opinion of yourself Neil, but I have to say that your insight into habitats, behaviour and the general ecology of our butterflies is second to none.

Have you ever thought of writing – illustrated of course with your own photographs and drawings - a tome to be a worthy successor to South, Frohawk and Ford? If you can’t write it, then who could?

You would doubtless find among ukb members many willing contributors who can fill in the few gaps in your knowledge; the Mountain Ringlet doesn’t usually get a mention in your reports from Sussex for example! I certainly can’t offer anything useful in the way of such missing knowledge, but I would be only too happy to do proof reading. My wife Suzie is doing a Masters Degree at the moment and she gives me her essays to look at for any glaring errors or to suggest improvements when the meaning is not entirely clear, My efforts seem to be working well enough (Suzie reckons my contributions are worth an extra 0.1%!) However, I wouldn’t anticipate needing to make many suggestions in the case of your writings.

(And don’t forget to mention that you once bowled Patrick Moore!)

Jack

Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Nah! People that actually write books on things generally know nothing themselves. They are just good at accumulating facts that other people have gathered. Neils place is with people,,,, and showing all the young ones the places and the species we all love. We can't tether Neil like a goat to publishing. That's a life indoors, and a life of hell. :wink:

Cheers,,, Zonda.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Some thoughts:

1. Of the 58 or so species regularly found in the UK, only 8 or so have been studied in any detail (often after years of research!).

2. Suggestions on how we can capture such observations efficiently on UKB, and "attach" these to the species descriptions, would be appreciated!

3. Neil is the epitome of naturalists that don't just take photos, but also make valuable observations. I wish there was more of the latter on UKB!

4. And finally, I've come to the conclusion that the following favourite quote of mine is a true measure of how "in touch" you are with nature: "I do pity unlearned people on a rainy day". I suspect Neil could make himself busy on the rainiest rainy day in rainyland :)

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

I do stay indoors on rainy days, or wear a waterproof. If the butterflies liked rain,,,, i'd be out there. I do know what you mean tho. Gosh!!! We are cluttering up Neil's personal diary. My apologies and delete all i have said. :oops:

Cheers,,, Zonda.
Hatfullofsky

Post by Hatfullofsky »

Neil, as you know, I've been traipsing back and forth to the Rifle Range day in and day out for over a week, in all kinds of weathers, looking for Brown Hairstreaks. I recall, on one day, meeting a knowledgeable-looking chap (you) who assured me that I would not find them unless the weather was very sunny, I could hear the song of crickets, and see butterflies of all kinds everywhere. So, on that Tuesday, I looked out at the weather and decided that since a) it was NOT warm and sunny and b) nothing else was flying and c) I could not hear any grasshopper and crickets singing, I would stay home and get something 'useful' done. Arrgghhh! Still, you live and learn and the exception proves the rule etc and I have to confess that I would never have seen a Brown Hairstreak - ever - without your help. I really appreciated seeing them on the Tuesday my visitors were here - thanks. :)

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Blimey! Thanks all for such kind comments. I would write more in response, but I'm just off to the Arundel Festival to watch a play wot Ernie Wise wrote. :D
Neil

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Neil:
to watch a play wot Ernie Wise wrote.
Proof reading hat on:
“...wot Ernie Wise rit

Jack

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Grand Finale

The BC Sussex field trip calendar reached a spectacular grand finale at Steyning Rifle Range on Saturday (28th August), blessed by initially clear blue skies and warm sunshine. It was difficult to assess the number of attendees as a sizeable group forged ahead for an early start, and helped out by spotting Brown Hairstreaks for us (thanks Colin, Tom, Roger et al.); and quite a few left before midday after seeing the main party amassing on the slopes in a scene straight out of 'Braveheart'! Earlier I had counted 49, but at one point there must have been 55 enthusiasts simultaneously looking at these beautiful butterflies. There was no effort required in spotting this usually elusive species, as there were regular shouts of "two together here", "one here", "another one here". Despite an over-sized group everyone managed to get up close and personal with a Brown Hairstreak, many for the first time. Without trying too hard we notched up 7 during the course of the walk.
UKB Steyning BC Walk, 28.8.10.jpg
Part Of A Very Large Group!

I stayed on with a few others until mid afternoon, finding more hairstreaks on the northern flank of the Rifle Range. We were down to a group of three (and up to a total of 12 BHs) when a chap wandered up the field and joined us, having made the long journey from Dartford in the hope of seeing his first. The afternoon was now cooling down and we were coming to the end of the main, daily flight 'window', but I was determined to find one for him. After travelling such a distance no one wants to hear "you should have been here earlier - they were everywhere!" By 3.30pm I was cutting it fine to meet up with Hannah, so reluctantly said "goodbye" to this chap. As I turned away and walked up the slope I almost tripped over another female hairstreak, nectaring on one of the last thistles in flower. Big smiles all round!
UKB Brown Hairstreak Steyning BC Walk, 28.8.10.jpg
Yet Another Beauty

The species list (including those seen after the official walk) comprised Brown Hairstreak, Wall, Adonis Blue, Common Blue, Holly Blue, Brown Argus, Small Copper, Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper, Small Heath, Speckled Wood, Peacock, Small Tortoiseshell, Comma, Large White, Small White, Green-veined White and Brimstone. The Adonis Blue was particularly significant, as this is the first sighting here for many years, and probably reflects the early signs of habitat improvement after just one winter's grazing. I suspect a female Adonis reached the Rifle Range during the spring brood, probably from Mill Hill.

All-in-all it was a great way to finish my walks for the year - and great to see so many friendly faces. Our Susie gets a mention in despatches, for spotting a high altitude male Brown Hairstreak before we even reached the Rifle Range!

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

It must have been a very satisfactory day to get 55+ attendees. Well done Neil.

Jack

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

VIP Trip To See The Hairstreak - And Return Of The Adonis!

Following our very successful outing to find Purple Emperors (see VIP Trip To See The Emperor, posted 5th July) I arranged to meet Ellie Corrigan, plus Mum and Dad (Helen and Chris), at Steyning Rifle Range on Monday 30th August. Ellie had seen a Brown Hairstreak's tail as it disappeared up a tree during her last visit in poor weather, so today we were going to do better! However, her plan to start early, leaving Dad to wait for me, very nearly backfired. As Chris and I walked up the path towards the Rifle Range a female hairstreak dropped down beside us and posed beautifully. A second female fluttered around the top of the ash above us, and I later returned to find a male here.
UKB Brown Hairstreak, Rifle Range 31.8.10.jpg
Meanwhile, down at the Brown Hairstreak Reserve, things were slow to get going and Ellie was patrolling up and down scanning the blackthorn in the hope that she wasn't going to be outdone by Dad. Others started to arrive, including my parents, with some having ventured from as far as Dover. As the temperature rose the hairstreaks started to descend and we were all treated to fantastic views of three different females and a male, ranging from very shabby to near-perfect in condition. After Ellie had seen enough to keep her going until next year we said goodbye and I headed for the upper flanks of the Rifle Range, along with a few others.

Having seen a male Adonis Blue here on my last BC walk of the year two days previously, I was keen to see if there were any more, giving greater confidence that they were emerging on site. Five perfect males and a female Adonis later, it was a case of toasting the return of this species after many years of absence. The management plan for the Steyning Downland Scheme area is seemingly ahead of schedule!
UKB Adonis 2, Rifle Range 31.8.10.jpg
UKB Adonis, Rifle Range 31.8.10.jpg
As we enjoyed the sight of these sapphire stunners I heard my name being called from below. A dapperly dressed figure was marching across the valley bottom towards us, waving his cane. A quick scan with binoculars confirmed it was butterfly buddy Reg Trench, followed by his lovely wife Sophie. Reg is still very capable of ascending a steep slope - especially if there are pristine Adonis Blues to be seen! Happy Birthday Reg - 90 years young today and an inspiration to us all!

As I headed for home I bathed in the satisfaction of another great day out with fantastic butterflies - and fantastic people. So often the two go together, and it really doesn't matter if you're 10 or 90!

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Family Photos (Part 2)

While visiting Sussex recently, from their Antwerp home, my brother Mark and nephew Tomas showed me some of the photos they've taken in recent months. The Hairstreaks (Brown and Purple) were reared at home, the Stag Beetle was found in their garden, and the Purple-edged Copper (high altitude form eurydame) was snapped while on holiday in the French Pyrenees. The Purple Hairstreak and Copper were taken by my brother, and the Brown Hairstreak and Stag Beetle by Tomas. At the age of 13 he's showing great promise as a photographer, artist and naturalist - I don't doubt he'll make a career of it!
Tomas Hulme, Stag Beetle, Antwerp garden.jpg
Stag Beetle, Tomas Hulme
Tomas Hulme, Brown Hairstreak, reared.jpg
Brown Hairstreak, Tomas Hulme
Mark Hulme, Purple-edged Copper (eurydame).jpg
Purple-edged Copper eurydame, Mark Hulme
Mark Hulme, Purple Hairstreak, reared.jpg
Purple Hairstreak, Mark Hulme

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

What an irritatingly talented family :P Hulmes left right and centre.

Jack

Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Lovely photographs - I especially like the one of the Purple Hairstreak.

there's far too many talented people out there. It's tough enough being competitive here, let alone against 13 year olds... :lol:

Michael

Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Despite this being a butterfly-centric website, I have to say that the shot of the Stag Beetle really took my breath away - absolutely incredible!

I'm sure you'll pass on our appreciation Kipper :) And thx for sharing.

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Ditto,,,,,, i saw a female Stag trotting down my garden path last year, but the males stayed very elusive. Quite a hard beetle to garden for, but a log pile, or several is a must. :D

Cheers,,, Zonda.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Stunning photographs. :D

Hatfullofsky

Post by Hatfullofsky »

Ditto what Michael said about 13yr olds! C'mon guys, I'm getting old and cannot cope with this kind of competition. My partner held up the winning photo from the Suffolk Wildlife Trust competition the other day (it had made the papers), a beautiful shot of a bee approaching a flower. Lovely composition, exposure, sharpness and I'm not at all surprised that it won but now I'm getting "Why don't you get shots like this?" from my own partner. Good grief! Mind you, out of those shots you've posted Neil, I would find it hard to pick a winner. They are all fabulous. That Stag Beetle poised for flight as it is, that is something really very special. The BH and reflection shows enormous creativity. The colours and DOF in the purple-bordered Copper (I think that's what you called it) shot are magnificent and you couldn't get a better shot of a PH if you tried. There is some serious talent in your family Neil.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks

Many thanks for the appreciative comments made about the images in Family Photos (Part 2), both from me and the Antwerp contingent. For the sake of accuracy, my brother informs me that the Purple-edged Copper shot was taken at Lac d' Allos (in the Parc du Mercantour).

Neil

Return to “Personal Diaries”