Paul

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Paul

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Cracking photos Paul!

What lens set up are using there?

Thanks

Lee

Diary entries for 2010 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Lee
Paul has always been one of my favourite photographers (and a bloody good bloke too).
I am just delighted that-

a/ He has moved to DSLR.
b/ He is already getting great results.

Diary entries for 2010 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Cheers

Roger
Paul

Post by Paul »

High Lee... I'm the proud new father of a Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM Lens fronting a Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR Camera - I've drooled for years over this and that, and being very fortunate enough, have now plunged in.... enjoying the learning curve as it were!! :D - mind you... cost as much as a small car :oops: and am only just still married :roll: :D :D
Roger... just preening my feathers... ahh that's better :wink: you are really kind but I'm not sure about your judgement :lol: I haven't actually met too many site users here so far, but those I have seem to be natural immediate friends... excellent... few & far between in normal life.
actually glad I didn't have this equipment in Helvetia, would have come back with about 3 photos I think, :roll: - after seeing how propper photographers do it, I jumped as soon as I could.....
mind you... used Camerabox to buy the stuff, then read some cripplingly bad reviews after :roll: waited for an excrutiating week feeling they would just pocket my money... but the full order duly arrived and I have to say they were absolutely true to their word. no worries :D
Last edited by Paul on Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I – as a non-DSLR user –am following this with great interest. I have to say that at the moment, Paul is not replicating the excellent images he produced with his old Lumix (and Paul knows this). But I’m sure that in due course, his pics will make us all jealous. If I were able to cart around all that kit, I would certainly be going for a Canon EOS 7D. Short of getting a 60 megapixel Hasselblad H4D-60, I’m sure you can’t do better.

Jack
Last edited by Jack Harrison on Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Jack Harrison wrote:Paul is not replicating the excellent images he produced with his old Lumix (and Paul know this). Jack
Go on Jack, rub it in :lol: At least Paul has plenty of time over winter to brush up on his skills.

I did wonder why Paul switched to a DSLR, considering his old results. I blame it on his so-called friends! Peer pressure, it's a dreadful thing! :wink:

I wish I'd had either a good SLR or Bridge camera when I was young (before teens). Instead I had an instamatic that gave crap results and made a clunky noise when you pressed the shutter. I have the evidence to prove it too, though you can't take away from those first memories of seeing a Scarce Swallowtail for the first time. :|

Michael

Paul

Post by Paul »

:D :D

Paul

Post by Paul »

Another forage round the garden today, playing with new toy...

s1/1000 f8.0 iso500......

and finally got this chap who's been buzzing the garden for days now...
Image :D :D

Paul

Post by Paul »

Definitely autumnal now...

and this Common Darter...

Paul

Post by Paul »

I have a few more images from Switzerland in the summer I think are worth sharing... firstly from the forest south west of Geneva, after we picked up the hire-car.. deep woodland generally reminiscent of Fermyn or Bentley, but with added interest!! :D It was very hot, and the butterflies were very animated indeed.
All these are Lesser Purple Emperors, nominate form, as opposed to the orange clytie form I had seen several years ago in the Dordogne

The next day bought us to a dusty riverside walk, below a steep hillside... dazzling light with white stone paths made photography tough exposure wise... lots of species zapping around, presenting few opportunities much of which produced less than perfect results...

Knapweed Fritillary female..

Great Sooty Satyr, female...

Provencal Short-tailed Blue..

Red Underwing Skipper...

Later that day we drove, then walked high into a mountain pass to eventually see Cynthia's Fritillary.. sadly I didn't manage a great photo... blame it on the dehydration/ hangover..

Lastly, another Heath photo more Alpine than Darwin's but not real true-blood...

may be more to come, depending on what I dredge up from my archive!!

Paul

Post by Paul »

A comparison of maculinae species from Switzerland in 2010....
Mountain Alcon... rather worn male and underside...

Scarce Large, female and underside...

and Dusky Large, sadly no upperside...

Paul

Post by Paul »

Here are a few more photos from Switzerland..
A Glandon Blue...

An Eros Blue...

A Damon Blue...

and an unidentified Blue.....(edit) likely Zephyr Blue ssp. trappi...

and lastly , probably a Shepherd's Fritillary...

Paul

Post by Paul »

Three more experimental and autumnal pics of common species today.... s1/640, f8.0, iso 400, filtered, tripod used.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

You have some really amazing shots in all that lot, Paul! Your patience and persistence in the field certainly pays off!

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Paul

Post by Paul »

Thanks Guy.... hope the helle survived my patience & persistence ( cringe) :roll: :D

Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Paul,
good shot especially of the Red Admiral. I find the SLR's sometimes have a problem with them, not just because of the tone (obviously one can bring that down to match the dark butterfly) but also with the focus. I like the sharpness of the Sedum flowers as well. Hmm...makes me think I should be investing in a new tripod and ball-and-socket head (be still my poor wallet) :mrgreen:
Michael

Paul

Post by Paul »

I reckon the tripod makes a difference, but only worth even trying if one has an engrosed butterfly nectaring or sleeping, - I'm practicing the rapid wheeling around of long bits of metal.... bit like some very odd sort of Ninja really.... :D .... nothing much left to practice on up here :( roll on next year

Paul

Post by Paul »

Little left to practise on in what is really the frozen north....bitterly cold..... today in the garden...

1:250 f8.0 iso500....

1:100 f8.0 iso500...

Thought I'd have a count up.... at the end of this season I have photos of 161 European Butterfly Species. Hope to add to that tally next year, tho' it's getting more difficult to see new ones. :D

Paul

Post by Paul »

sunny break in the latest monsoon, Red Admirals, Small Torts, Commas, Speckled Woods all about....

1:320 f8.0 iso200 3/10/10 :D

Paul

Post by Paul »

Butterflies are thin on the ground just now, but some of the moths in flight at the moment are just as beautiful.... such as the Merveille du Jour....

:D :D :D

Paul

Post by Paul »

Some fungi from the garden today, no idea what they're called :oops: ...
all 1:40 f8.0 iso 400 filtered.

:D tho' still struggling to control "the beast" :roll:

Return to “Personal Diaries”