Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Goldie M

Post by trevor »

Love your Small Tortoiseshell image, nice pose, nice background.

Trevor.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Ah some butterflies at last Goldie, with the warm sunshine and all these butterflies about you must be feeling re charged. :D

BW's

James

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

I like the comma shot with the yellow flowers background! :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

I agree - the two shots of the Comma on the big yellow daisies are terrific, Goldie, especially the first one. :) I don't think I ever see a Comma on garden flowers round here.

Dave

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I like those,too- the flowers are called Rudbekia. Nice to see things are still going up there,Goldie :) .

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks everybody for your most welcome comments , it was a great few day's those Yellow Rudbeckia certainly attract the the Butterflies :D

Sunday was a funny day with the rain coming down on and off, heavy showers too, but in between the shower's we'd a visit from two or three Large White's and some Small White's, I was surprised because the wind was quite cool, also the Butterflies were in quite good condition for the time of year. Goldie :D
Attachments
Large White 25th Sept (1).jpg
Large White 25th Sept.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Nice whites Goldie :D I haven't been out in over a week now, it's just been work, work and more work :( I'll see my butterflies through you and others at the moment :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, hope you've been able to get out and about since you posted, nothing really out there much when I've gone out but in the garden my Comma's have been active once again in-between the showers with quick visits by the White's. :D

This morning we got our first frost and it felt very cold when we decided to move so on went the heating :) it'll be interesting to see if there's any more Butterflies visiting the garden today , although it's quite pleasant now the forecast is for hail showers later UGH! Winter's on the way.

I was out all day yesterday but Wednesday we had visit's again from the Butterflies, one photo in particular made me smile, although not too good a shot I liked the photo of the Small White that seemed to be smelling the Buddliea :D I'm really glad I cut the Buddliea back to the lower shoots instead of cutting them right back, ( which i'll have to do shortly) because it's given the Butterflies a bit longer to visit the garden. Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_1256.jpg
IMG_1287.jpg
IMG_1276.jpg

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Yesterday when the Sun did come out after a pretty wet and cloudy day, it was great to see the Red Admiral in the back garden, it just paid us a brief visit so I was pleased to see it was the ab" biabta " which I saw a lot of last year but not too many this year.

Today on the front garden the Small Tortoiseshell paid a visit and on the back garden the Small White's also all seemed to be in good condition so with a nice day promised for tomorrow who knows, October has started well. Goldie :D
Attachments
Red Admiral 30th Sept (2).jpg
Small Tortoiseshell 1st Oct (1).jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'm glad someone has been managing to photograph the butterflies Goldie - I still haven't managed to get out - oiling doors and sorting printers this weekend :roll: Oh well maybe next weekend...

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, I've not been getting out either, I've just been lucky enough to have them visit the garden, they've visited but in small numbers not like last year when at this time of year it wasn't just odd numbers I saw but three and four at a time and different species too, this year as been very bad where I live the only species really being seen since the end of August most frequently are the Small Whites which is up on last year.

The worst species hit have been the Peacock's , only one being seen since August, not one so far since then where as last year they were in my garden on and off till late Sept/Oct. :(

We'll have to wait and see what next year brings, I don't like snow but a cold Winter and a warm Spring with out too much rain could hope fully bring more Butterflies, I Wish! :D

Mean time the Small Tort's , ( just one was back again Yesterday) Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_4bac.jpeg

millerd

Post by millerd »

Your photos make me really envious of you seeing the Tortoiseshells, Goldie! :mrgreen: I've only seen two on my local patch since June - one in July, one in August and none since. :(

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Nice Small Tort Goldie :D Fingers crossed for more conducive weather in 2017 :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Goldie
Nice to see you have some Small Tortoiseshells up there :D . I have not seen one around here since Mid August :( .

David M

Post by David M »

That Bowles Mauve sure is doing you proud, Goldie! :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks every one for your posts, I've not seen anything since the 4th until today when a small Comma landed in the back garden whilst I was hanging out the washing, ( I saw the Sun and went mad :lol: ) it landed on my Buddliea cutting which was a first having just put the cutting in a pot last year.

The weather here has been very cold and the wind from the East quite bitter for the last few days but today it's a lovely day with hardly any breeze so I was hoping I'd see some thing flying about :D

The Buddliea cutting was a gift from a neighbour, I wasn't sure I liked it at first ( what do I know :lol: ) because of it's colour but it's been great and has more flowers on it than the other three bushes for the time of year, so I'll be finding a place in the garden for it for sure next year. Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_1348.jpg
IMG_1345.jpg
fullsizeoutput_4c37.jpeg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Really enjoying your recent reports Goldie :D as yet another weekend has passed me by and I haven't been able to get out :( Oh well next year my renovations should finally be completed and then I'll have all the time in the world :? Good job I'm so far behind with my PD :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzel, You'll make up for it next year and let's hope it's a better one Butterfly wise for their sake , I hope I can spot one are two more before the season finishes, Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

Goldie, what is the yellow flower those butterflies are nectaring from?

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David, it's a yellow Buddliea, my neighbour gave me the cutting last year and I put it in a pot to see if it'd take, I'd never seen a Buddliea that colour before so I was curious :D I was also very surprised when it took and produced all these flowers at this time of year especially when I went to Southport Dunes yesterday and we saw just one Small White and when I got back home, there was a Small Tort on my yellow Buddliea :D

The Small Tort was rather worn and a bit hard to photograph because it was shiny, it's wings glistened in the Sun so I changed the lens on my camera to see if I could get a reasonable shot because it still looked great on the yellow Buddliea. I think these may be the last time i may see the Small Tort's going off the condition of this one in the garden , Last of the Summer wine I think. Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_4c6c.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4c77.jpeg

Return to “Personal Diaries”