millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: millerd

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Dave, lovely shots you've got there, :mrgreen: I saw a Holly Blue very briefly at HLB not seen one since, we're really short on Butterflies here at present, not even a peacock yet. Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, Goldie. I think I'm quite lucky with my local patch - nothing unusual but lots of variety on almost any day I go out. :)

Saturday 30th July: a bit further afield today, though. With Denbies and Box Hill out for the equation this weekend because of the takeover of the roads by cyclists, I headed up to Aston Rowant. This is probably the best time of year for this site too, with lots to see. As expected with this summer, there wasn't a lot of sunshine, but it was pretty warm, and there was only a little breeze for a change. The slopes abounded in Chalkhill Blues and Meadow Browns in particular, and the site's speciality the Silver-spotted Skipper was also out in reasonable numbers: mostly males at the moment, with only one or two females. After what seemed like a dismal first brood, Brown Argus had appeared again, and were thankfully more plentiful now. Also seen: Peacocks, Small, Large and Essex Skippers, Gatekeepers (not very many), Brimstones, Large Whites, a few Common Blues, a Red Admiral, a few ghostly Marbled Whites, and a single Small Copper.

There were a couple of other folk out on the hill looking for the skippers, one local lady and another all the way from Staffordshire. I was able to help in pointing out the patches of bare soil the Silver-spots like to bask on (as well as on the worn sheep paths through the grass where it's easy to disturb them well before you've seen them). Once you get your eye in, suddenly they seem to be everywhere!

Chalkhills:
ChB1 300716.JPG
ChB2 300716.JPG
ChB3 300716.JPG
ChB4 300716.JPG
ChB5 300716.JPG
ChB7 300716.JPG
ChB9 300716.JPG
ChB10 300716.JPG
ChB12 300716.JPG
Brown Argus:
BA1 300716.JPG
BA2 300716.JPG
BA4 300716.JPG
Silver-spotted Skippers:
SSS1 300716.JPG
a distinct green tinge to this one
a distinct green tinge to this one
SSS3 300716.JPG
SSS5 300716.JPG
SSS7 300716.JPG
SSS9 300716.JPG
SSS10 300716.JPG
SSS11 300716.JPG
SSS14 300716.JPG
The supporting cast:
MW1 300716.JPG
CB1 300716.JPG
Essex?
Essex?
LW1 300716.JPG
Peacock1 300716.JPG
Despite all the other species on show, for me the highlight of the day was this lovely Small Copper:
SC3 300716.JPG
SC2 300716.JPG
Dave

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

That's a bumper haul for one day, the Silver Spots especially.
I must visit my local site for them if the weather behaves, and next week doesn't look good.

All the best,
Trevor.

David M

Post by David M »

Wow! I was surprised to see a Marbled White near me yesterday, so I'm even more astonished that they're still on the wing in Oxfordshire!!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great range of shots and species Dave for such a poor year :D I renewed my acquaintance with the Silver-spotted Teddy on Friday and I know what you mean abut when you get your eye in, I always forget how big they are and spend the first part of my visits being distracted by micro moths :roll: :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Butterfly shot's Dave, especially the Copper, :mrgreen: none up here yet but hope fully I'll see some soon when I journey South. Goldie :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. :) It was good to see so many butterflies, even though the numbers of some were much lower than usual. I also forgot to mention I'd seen a rather worn Dark Green Fritillary down near the ditch.

Sunday 31st July looked reasonable again, even good early on, but the cloud built and we headed for another warm, but mostly cloudy day. I elected to look for Grayling first, and visited Chobham Common initially. I'd forgotten how this is a bit of a hotspot for dog-walkers, and the evidence was clear to see, both visual and olefactory. Nevertheless, I made my way to the steps up the small hill amidst the heathland, and stood looking around to see what was flying.
view 310716.JPG
I shortly became aware of something flying around me at knee level, and within a second or two a Grayling landed on my trousers. What it is about denim-clad human legs that attracts this butterfly goodness knows, but standing still in a suitable area seems to work like a charm.
GY1 310716.JPG
GY2 310716.JPG
Wandering a little further from the steps, I saw one other Grayling, plus a variety of Skippers and some Ringlets and Gatekeepers.
LS1 310716.JPG
RT1 310716.JPG
LS2 310716.JPG
A couple of Commas patrolled one of the paths, and I also spotted a single female Silver-studded Blue.
SSB1 310716.JPG
From Chobham, I continued to Dawney's Hill near Pirbright, where the clearance of much of the gorse has left a lot of the site seemingly barren. The Silver-studded Blues here seemed unaffected a few weeks back, but an hour today only produced one single Grayling.
GY3 310716.JPG
GY4 310716.JPG
Elsewhere, there were quite a few female Gatekeepers on the heather and remaining gorse, plus a few males around the edges of the site.
GK1 310716.JPG
However, I struck lucky again, with another new-looking Small Copper which was sporting nice blue spots as well.
SC1 310716.JPG
Dave

millerd

Post by millerd »

31st July continued... After Pirbright, I headed further on down to Chiddingfold. Visits there at this time the last couple of years have proved really worthwhile, and I hoped at least to see some second brood Wood Whites. What was most noticeable was the continuing theme of a real shortage of numbers, though the variety remained. The ride through the trees from the Botany Bay entrance is really overhung now, with the trees meeting overhead, so little sunlight reaches the edges of the path where brambles used to attract Commas, White Admirals and Silver-washed Fritillaries. Purple Emperors used to come down all along here a few years back, but it is just too shady now. Beyond the bridge, things remain open, and despite persistent cloud, it was bright enough for four or five Wood Whites to be active. It also meant that they stopped more frequently and were easy to approach. I continued further, beyond the triangle and into the clearing/meadow to the left. A lot of scrub was removed from here last winter, and it is a good deal more open with many more flowers. However, there is now virtually no bramble, and therefore no nectaring White Admirals. In fact, though there were quite a few butterflies about, there were nowhere near as many as last year. Only a handful of fresh Brimstones and Peacocks, instead of dozens.
Brimstone1 310716.JPG
Brimstone2 310716.JPG
Brimstone3 310716.JPG
No Common Blues. Just one or two Skippers, Gatekeepers and tired-looking Ringlets.
LS1 310716.JPG
Only the Silver-washed Fritillaries seemed as numerous as ever, and I saw no less than three sets of courtship flights in various locations.
SWF1 310716.JPG
SWF2 310716.JPG
Wood White habitat - spot the courting SWF...
Wood White habitat - spot the courting SWF...
I did see one solitary White Admiral waft through the trees low down, but also watched a much larger (but ragged-looking) butterfly fly two sorties from the top of an oak and then return to his perch. I'm pretty certain this was a Purple Emperor, but given the lateness in the year, I can't be 100% sure.

I then returned to the wood Whites.
WW2 310716.JPG
WW3 310716.JPG
WW5 310716.JPG
WW7 310716.JPG
WW8 310716.JPG
WW10 310716.JPG
WW11 310716.JPG
A female I had noticed earlier hadn't moved from her perch and attracted the interest of a passing male. The curious Wood White ritual then ensued, with much wing-flapping, antennae-stroking and proboscis-flicking. Each time, the male lost interest, only to return a few minutes later and repeat his ministrations. I fiddled around with camera settings in an attempt to freeze the split second of open wings - many, many clicks of the shutter later, I had achieved this.
the female...
the female...
...and the male
...and the male
Dave

David M

Post by David M »

Can't believe you're still seeing Large Skippers, Dave. They vanished from south Wales quite a while back!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A hell of a day Dave - or should that be Heaven? Beautiful Wood Whites Dave - it almost makes me wish that I hadn't seen them earlier in the year so I'd have to travel to see them again :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Millard, it's great to see the Wood White photos, I saw my first WW's this year , Unbelievable! Goldie :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

Yes, David, Large Skippers at both Chobham and Chiddingfold, and also one at Aston Rowant the day before. I think we've had better weather than you recently, though, so they have persisted longer here. The same is probably true of the Marbled Whites you mentioned earlier.

The Wood Whites were as delicate as ever, Goldie, a lovely sight. Well worth another visit, Wurzel, if you have any points in the bank... :)

Looking back, over the three days Friday to Sunday (the last three days of July), I saw 31 different species across the four places visited. And Small Tortoiseshell was one I didn't see! Not bad at all.

Since Sunday, the weather has been indifferent or just plain wet. I did have a short walk this evening, but only spotted a couple of Small Whites and a single Holly Blue before the cloud came over again.

Dave

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Lovely photos of the Wood Whites Dave. They look great on the different coloured flowers and lively backgrounds - very vibrant. Perhaps I might yet get over to see them.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

You've certainly been productive recently Dave :). Your local patch seems to be faring better than mine this year :?

Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you Pauline. I'm really pleased you like the more natural backgrounds in these pictures (which to be honest feature in most of my photos!). Wood Whites don't seem to discriminate as much as some species over what they settle on, so you get a wide variety of wildflowers in the photos too. They are very photogenic little things as well. :)

Yes, Buggy - my local patch has been okay for variety this year, though as with most places numbers of some are well down.

I had another ramble locally this evening, and despite a strong breeze, a bit of sunshine brought some butterflies out. In particular, those stalwarts of early summer evenings, the Red Admirals, were around in numbers - I lost count at 15 after only a part of the walk, and was persistently dive-bombed throughout. In amongst them and joining in the various melées, were several Commas: perhaps seven or eight in all. there were also two or three Peacocks. I spotted four Speckled Woods and five or six Holly Blues.
SpW1 040816.JPG
The latter have begun to seek out the pink bramble flowers for nectaring (they don't seem to take much interest in the white ones). One was kind enough to perch briefly and open up a bit.
HB1 040816.JPG
A few Whites were still flying, though I think most had gone to roost in the vegetation. I did catch one GVW still up and about.
GVW1 040816.JPG
In the meadow area between the River Colne and the M25, there were still dozens of Meadow Browns, mostly females, and I did find a single Small Heath as well.
SH1 040816.JPG
Of Gatekeepers and Common Blues, there was no sign at all.

The Commas were largely fading now.
Comma1 040816.JPG
Comma x 2 040816.JPG
Comma3 040816.JPG
However, I did encounter one that seemed really fresh, and it appeared to be a hutchinsoni individual, not an overwintering one.
Comma2 040816.JPG
Quite late in the day for these to still be emerging.

However, the main attraction was the Red Admirals. As can be seen, several were of the bialbata variety, with white spots in the red forewing band.
RA4 040816.JPG
RA2 040816.JPG
RA3 040816.JPG
RA6 040816.JPG
RA1 040816.JPG
RA5 040816.JPG
Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

There does seem to have been a surge Red Admiral numbers recently - I'm wondering if they're migrants or homegrown? If they are migrants it would be nice if they'd brought along a few of their cousins or even more distant relations :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

I have seen a few Painted Ladies, Wurzel, but nothing more exciting on the migratory front. No Cloudies for example... :(

I actually got to go out on my local patch today in the middle of the day, and in bright sunshine, too! A rather different set of butterflies greeted me, including one very special one.

As normal, Meadow Browns outnumbered everything else, but were mingled with Gatekeepers, Small Heath and even a few Essex Skippers. The first photo is a deceased Gatekeeper - I would guess old age. It's amazing how rarely you come across dead butterflies, particularly those who have succumbed to natural causes.
GK2 060816.JPG
GK1 060816.JPG
SH1 060816.JPG
Speckled Woods were back, with five or six together in one or two shaded paths.
SpW1 060816.JPG
It was good to see that there were now a good sprinkling of Common Blues today, with several females seen in a variety of spots, as well as a mating pair.
CB1 060816.JPG
CB pair1 060816.JPG
CB pair2 060816.JPG
Better still were the Brown Argus, which matched the Blues in number and again were flying in several spots. Having seen just the one in the first brood, this was very encouraging.
BA4 060816.JPG
BA3 060816.JPG
BA2 060816.JPG
BA1 060816.JPG
However, the star today was a Small Copper. This species has been absent on my local patch (or I haven't seen any) since 2012, and it was a joy to find this one.
SC1 060816.JPG
SC2 060816.JPG
SC3 060816.JPG
SC4 060816.JPG
Nearly back to home, a female Holly Blue opened up a wee bit in the semi-shade - how could I resist?
HB2 060816.JPG
Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

Your local patch certainly produced the goods today, Dave.
You didn't resist the female Holly Blue luckily, with the very strong, black, forewing markings.
A great pity she failed to open up more.

All the best,
Trevor.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

those Wood Whites are so tempting, can't believe after travelling the length and breadth of the country this year they are still on my to see list :?

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

David M wrote:Can't believe you're still seeing Large Skippers, Dave. They vanished from south Wales quite a while back!
They virtually didn't appear in the first place in my part of the world!

Return to “Personal Diaries”