Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Trevor

Post by Wurzel »

Great find Trevor, glad the Hill paid up. I reckon a visit again in a week, week and a half could see the numbers nearing peak :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

CAMERA EYE PIECE SURROUND FOR A NIKON FOUND AT THE MARSHIE SITE YESTERDAY.

If it belongs to you please PM me.

Trevor.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bailey1409

Post by bailey1409 »

Hi Trevor

I've sent you a PM.

Cheers

Maurice

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots again Trevor :mrgreen: Goldie :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

A further visit to the Marshie site, found no Marsh Fritillaries, but many Brown Argus were present.
A most surprising find was in the form of a Burnet Moth with it's wings erect, whether they hold them
like that when newly emerged, I don't know, never seen this posture before.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1320737.JPG
P1320735.JPG
P1320736.JPG
P1320734.JPG
P1320733.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

Through the medium of UKB I have reunited a lost camera part with it's owner.

Great stuff,
Trevor.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'm seriously hoping that things pick up there Trevor :? Interesting view of the Burnet Moth you rarely get to see that view :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Lovely, fresh Brown Argus, Trevor. :)

One of my favourite butterflies.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots of the BA Trevor, Goldie :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

Yesterday I tried once again to find the, so far, elusive Marsh Fritillary. Again without success.
This may have been down to the weather, which was breezy and quite cloudy.
However, this did not stop the many Brown Argus from showing, together with a few Grizzled Skippers.

The view of the Burnet Moth is the one I originally intended to post the other day as it shows
part of the upper wing as well. and is I think a better image.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1320758.JPG
P1320762.JPG
P1320763.JPG

John W

Post by John W »

Yesterday I tried once again to find the, so far, elusive Marsh Fritillary.
Hi Trevor,

Where have you been looking for the Marsh Fritillary? Is it Cotley Hill?

Cheers
John

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

If you're not having muck luck at the Hill Trevor check out the Wiltshire Branch site as there have been sightings in better numbers from some surrounding hills...or you could give Martin Down ago - the Hampshire Branch have had some good numbers from there recently.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

On my way back home to Sussex, I called in to see the Duke and Duchess of Kithurst.
I must say that I was most graciously received, with the Dukes posing perfectly.
With very warm sunshine for most of my visit, most Butterflies were supercharged,
so I saw many more than I was able to photograph.
The Brown Argus was flying in good numbers, and from what I have seen over the
past few days, this species seems to be having a very good season.
The other species seen in multiples for the first time was the Common Blue.
Just one Small Blue was found.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1320794.JPG
P1320797.JPG
P1320800.JPG
P1320799.JPG
P1320798.JPG
P1320796.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

A further visit to Abbots Wood found the Pearl Bordered Fritillary flying in the two
areas of the Wood visited.
Not much sun today, but the air was very warm, and the Pearls varied from manic to
easy to approach. Most, if not all ,were showing signs of wear, which is not surprising
at this stage in their lives.
One particularly bulbous female looked as though she had her contribution to next years
population on board !.
Talking of easy to approach, I was most surprised when a Yellow Speckled Moth stayed put for several shots.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1320859.JPG
P1320851.JPG
P1320854.JPG
P1320856.JPG
P1320852.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

ELECTRIC BLUE.

The Adonis Blue almost escaped my attention last year, indeed I only managed to photograph
one specimen in the whole of 2016.

So this morning, after the rush hour had eased, I headed off to Mill Hill in West Sussex.
On arrival it was cloudy with the promise of some distant blue sky, which in the event remained distant.
Once I had located a few Adonis it became clear that the weather conditions favoured the photographer,
the Butterflies were still lively, with many giving me the slip, but others were content with basking.

On the precarious descent to the bottom of this very steep hill, I found the first of two mating pairs,
the second pair were on the wing with the male towing his wife !.
Right at the base of the hill the Adonis were found in large numbers, the vast majority being male,
but several lovely females were also found among the flora.

Without doubt this was the best session I've ever had with this species.
Attachments
P1320956.JPG
P1320962.JPG
P1320963.JPG
P1320960.JPG
P1320955.JPG
P1320950.JPG
P1320952.JPG
P1320951.JPG
P1320957.JPG
P1320953.JPG
Last edited by trevor on Thu May 18, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David M

Post by David M »

What a mouth-watering array of bellargus you have presented there, Trevor. I feel a little trip to do justice to them myself coming on! :)

trevor

Post by trevor »

Do it soon David, they don't stay pristine for very long.
I shall remember the many flashes of ' electric ' blue among the ground cover for a long time.

Best wishes,
Trevor.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely Adonis Trevor, that first female is beautifully marked and that final open wing shot :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

I remember when I introduced you to our local Adonis Blues quite a few years back Trevor. I said I call their amazing shade of blue "electric blue" you certainly never tire of seeing it, it's a once seen never forgotten thing.

Best wishes

James

millerd

Post by millerd »

That first female really does stand out, Trevor. Beautifully marked. :) I haven't seen a female yet this year.

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”