Padfield

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Padfield

Post by Padfield »

Another day spent climbing high into the mountains, this time in search of Erebia nivalis, De Lesse's brassy ringlet. As its name suggests, this flies near the snowline - from 2100m to 2600m - and though it is (allegedly) commoner in Austria it is very scarce and local in Switzerland. This trip was completely on spec - I knew there was a 2007 record for nivalis for the 5 km square I chose to visit but I didn't know any other details of the sighting. And it involved a high energy output for a gamble - I caught the train to a little under 1200m, cycled to 1600m and then climbed on foot to over 2800m, in mixed weather, varying from overcast to bright and sunny.

It turned out to be a good Erebia day. At lower altitudes euryale and ligea dominated, followed by oeme as I began to climb. A little after that, pharte appeared, though oeme remained common. Then, as I climbed still higher, gorge suddenly became prevalent. I think there were also epiphron there, but it was the gorge that interested me, because I don't often get good chances to watch it. Here is a picture which I think sums up this high-altitude butterfly:

It is a very variable species. Here are two quite different individuals:

(Showing where its vernacular name, 'silky ringlet', comes from)

And an underside:

Above gorge, pandrose was dominant.

What of nivalis?

I didn't see any on the way up, and above 2600m found myself in grassless glacial moraine (though lots of flowers grew bravely in the rubble). As the sun had gone in I continued climbing to get the views from higher up, and then on the way down stopped at various places I had noted as being likely spots for nivalis. At the second of these, there it was!! Lifer!!

I only caught and photographed one, though I saw perhaps 4 or 5, in a very localised region. Then the sun went in, the temperature plummeted and the Erebia dropped into the grass, so I left them alone, not wanting to trample over them.

Here are some views of the one I photographed:

(taken with flash, in the shade, after I let him out of his observation box)

(also taken with flash, in the shade)

(warming up again, after release)

(almost ready for lift-off again...)

(the habitat)

He had no idea what he meant to me!

Other species seen on the walk included: mountain clouded yellow, Berger's pale clouded yellow, mountain green-veined white, Eros blue, glandon blue, alpine argus, pearl-bordered fritillary, false heath fritillary, marsh fritillary, Cynthia's fritillary, mountain fritillary, ringlet, large wall and alpine heath. I didn't log or even identify everything as I was focusing on Erebia, and in particular on a small Erebia with a lustrous, silver-blue hindwing!

(Cynthia's frit)

(alpine argus showing the classic underside)

(alpine argus upperside - it is an unmistakable shade of blue)

(bright-eyed ringlet)

(the scene above 2800m - not a lot of point in going on!)

(a view on the way up)

(not the most auspicious day)

Guy

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Strewth,is that what one has to do to find these rarer butterflies.I usually stopped not much further than the mountain cafe's.
P.J.U.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Your dedication is beyond admirable, Guy, and I'm so very glad that, once again, you were rewarded.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Yes, the views are amazing Guy. What other wildlife do you see there?

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

P.J.Underwood wrote:Strewth,is that what one has to do to find these rarer butterflies.I usually stopped not much further than the mountain cafe's.
I'm sure those in the know have easier ways of reaching them, P.J. I have the added constraint of being a non-driver and having to get back at a reasonable time the same day for my cat, so I choose relatively near locations and the straightest routes up the hill! Good for fitness.
David M wrote:Your dedication is beyond admirable, Guy, and I'm so very glad that, once again, you were rewarded.
I was half expecting you to say you'd seen loads and loads of nivalis in Austria, David!! I look forward to your pictures in due course (though if I don't reply tonight it will probably be because I'm fast asleep :D )
Pauline wrote:What other wildlife do you see there?
Not a lot, Pauline, because I was so focused on small Erebia. It takes a lot of concentration to find a species like this when you don't know where to look. Also, there were quite a lot of climbers and hikers enjoying the same climb so I think ibex and chamois were keeping their distance. When I'm alone, which I usually am, I see much more.

At one narrow point on the descent a couple of domestic goats decided they wanted to go up to higher pastures and blocked the path of a walker ahead of me. They turned as if to go down again, but then stood their ground and we both had to climb down past or over them, after which they continued up. Stubborn creatures, goats.

Guy

The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

A wonderful series of photos of your 'lifer', Guy. They show its attributes perfectly and what a splendid butterfly it is :D

Many entomologists in UK regard butterflies as a 'soft' option, which it is here in view of our limited range, but you show that, in a wider context, it can require as much dedication as any other insect!

As well as your own skills, I am impressed by the performance of your Canon Power Shot, which has certainly not let you down in any way and is a lot more portable than most cameras, for the sort of climb you undertook.

Mike

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

padfield wrote:... and then on the way down stopped at various places I had noted as being likely spots for nivalis. At the second of these, there it was!! Lifer!!
Congrats Guy! And really nice photos to boot!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Congratulations no the lifer and the sublime shots of it :mrgreen: :D - which beer did you celebrate it with? :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Thank you again for your kind comments, Mike, Pete and Wurzel.

Now I haven't got a paid job it's just fizzy lager, Wurzel ... :(

Today I thought I'd stick with the Erebia theme and go for eriphyle. This species is quite easy to identify in the hand but flies with pharte, melampus and manto, all of which can look very similar. At today's site, they were all flying, as were oeme and euryale. Nothing, but nothing, stopped flying for a second of its own accord, so all the confirmations and photos I got were obtained through netting. The net is an essential tool if you want high percentages on Erebia - and means you don't have to run all over the habitat chasing them.

(this individual appears to have a pupil in the spot in s.4 on the hindwing, but it didn't have on the other side and I am pretty sure it is eriphyle )

At the same site I got rather better photos of white-faced darter:

Then on to cranberry fritillaries. When I called here with Gary Hulbert a few weeks ago there was nothing flying. Today the site was heaving with cranberry frits - though because I got there in the heat of the day they were moving incessantly and I got hardly any photos:

The females were incredibly restless, constantly flitting from ground spot to ground spot, oviposturing on all the wrong plants, never sitting still a moment. Because it was clearly impossible to photograph them I just watched instead. One seemed to be doing more than oviposturing, though never on Vacciniinum, so I had a look at where she'd been. Sure enough, she had laid an egg:

I think the leaf is Potentilla sp. When I got home I checked in the Swiss Bible and it mentioned this behaviour - apparently eggs are often laid on low-growing plants other than the host plant.

I was very pleased to find cranberry blues at the same site. Most were quite worn (this is not a high site) and the one really fresh one never stopped, but here are a couple of shots of worn individuals:

Finally, while zooming down the long, uninterrupted downhill run back to the valley ( :D ) I had to screech to a halt and nearly caused an accident with the cars behind when I again saw a hairstreak sitting in the road. This time it was not a black but a white-letter hairstreak - a gravid female. Her eggs will be nourished by my sweat, which she clearly loved. She refused to leave me for flowers but did agree in the end to sit on a leaf in the shade.

Guy

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Typical - not only do you have countless species to photograph now they're practically falling at your feet :shock: :mrgreen: Same fantastic shots Guy... :D :mrgreen:

"Now I haven't got a paid job it's just fizzy lager, Wurzel ... :("...how we suffer for our art :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Great stuff yet again,Guy!
I absolutely love reading your diary,even if i don't always comment. There are a few species on your recent pages i would love to see! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

catching up.... I am extraordinarily envious ( in the nicest possible sense) of your nivalis photos, they are brill, and I was going to ask how you saw them as not tyndarus, but a quick look at Tolman put me right, - wow... what a beauty!. I'm sure I could never have got up there!!! Well done indeed!

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

As always, I'm grateful for your comments, Wurzel, Buzzard and Paul! :)

Spent the day pottering around the canton of Geneva, just to see what state things had reached. The first and most striking thing was that gatekeepers were abundant, everywhere. There are no gatekeepers in my part of Switzerland so it is always a pleasure to see them. The next most striking thing was that dryads were also everywhere. This lovely, huge, lolloping Satyrid is a late flyer - almost a harbinger of the end of the season. The year was cold and wet until the end of June, with many species appearing a month or more late, but July has seen an almost uninterrupted heatwave, accelerating things amazingly and more or less setting the year back to normal.

There were only two real surprises today. The first was to find four maps at one site and one at another, all looking very much past their prime. I've still never found a spring map in Switzerland (I've only ever seen one, in France) but now I think I know where to come next year for that. The second surprise was that there were no short-tailed blues. I searched several places I know they fly and many more on spec without seeing a single one. Provençal short-tailed was well in evidence. I can't believe short-tailed is either over or has not yet started the second brood, so I fear it might have been a victim of the cold spring during its first brood.

For once I didn't have to hurry back so could take my time and try to get some good photographs. Here are a few:

(a nice double-pupilled meadow brown)

(brown argus)

(Provençal short-tailed blue)

(a dryad - my sweat still seems to work with this species!)

(my first confirmed pale clouded yellow, Colias hyale, of the year - alfacariensis is the default in my part of Switzerland)

(male Reverdin's blue)

(female Reverdin's blue)

(just a glimpse of the upperside of that female - really lovely colours)

(holly blue)

(white-letter hairstreak)

(a dingy skipper and his shadow)

For my own records, as much as anything else, as I'm getting behind with the log on my own site, the provisional species list for the day was:

Small skipper, large skipper, dingy skipper, swallowtail, scarce swallowtail, large white, small white, green-veined white, Berger's pale clouded yellow, pale clouded yellow, clouded yellow, wood white, Réal's wood white, small copper, sooty copper, white-letter hairstreak, silver-studded blue, Reverdin's blue, holly blue, Provençal short-tailed blue, brown argus, Adonis blue, chalkhill blue, mazarine blue, white admiral, map, red admiral, comma, peacock, high-brown fritillary, marbled fritillary, marbled white, meadow brown, gatekeeper, dryad, speckled wood.

I've included Réal's wood white in there, as some years ago I became satisfied there exists a good way of telling this species from wood white. However, since juvernica appeared on the scene I should really say I don't know what species I saw today. I'm confident it wasn't sinapis.

Guy

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Another great report and lovely photos Guy :D

I must admit that I have never really felt the call to see butterflies in the rest of Europe but reading your diary has got me thinking......

All the best,

Neil F.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Funnily enough, Neil, I've just been admiring your peacocks and thinking that if I ever moved back to the UK that's what I'd start doing! :D

Guy

David M

Post by David M »

nfreem wrote:
I must admit that I have never really felt the call to see butterflies in the rest of Europe but reading your diary has got me thinking......
Do it, Neil. It's like being transported to Heaven.

Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Guy, is the abundant yellow flower in your nivalis habitat picture Horseshoe Vetch? It reminds me, incongruously enough, of Brean Down - something about the lie of the rock, although the presence of snow and the absence of estuary makes it quite clear that it isn't!

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Matsukaze: No, it's some alpine subspecies of kidney vetch, I think. I do have some photos showing parts of the plant better and it seems to be a kind of hairless Anthyllis variety - I'll try and place it exactly when it's not so late.

The usual butterflies of horseshoe vetch - Adonis blue, chalkhill blue, Berger's pale clouded yellow - don't fly at that altitude and I don't think the flower goes that high either, though I could be wrong.

Guy

Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Hello G.

You've got me thinking about visiting your part of the world again but I'll need to improve my fitness to reach some of the heights you're reaching, especially with my gear.

Of course I'll bring some decent beer over for you to enjoy up at the heights.

All the best and well done on the nivalis and others you've seen this year.

Cheers Paul
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Paul Wetton wrote:You've got me thinking about visiting your part of the world again but I'll need to improve my fitness to reach some of the heights you're reaching, especially with my gear.
I hope you do, Paul. Get down the gym!
Paul Wetton wrote:Of course I'll bring some decent beer over for you to enjoy up at the heights.
I'll carry the beer ...

Paul K - sorry, I somehow missed your last post in my diary (I wasn't snubbing you when I thanked the others! :D That's now corrected!). Both you and Paul W would have the advantage over me that you could begin these climbs at the crack of dawn instead of relying on public transport to get you there in the heat of the day. You could also start a little higher up the mountain, probably. But there's no getting round the fact a bit of work is required! :D

Guy

Return to “Personal Diaries”