Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Pauline, Dave, James & Kev.

I am very pleased that my morning with the Wall Browns was appreciated.

I thought that a few more images from yesterday may be worth sharing.
One big surprise of the morning was to find a Wall, most unusually, perched on the tip,
at head height, on a stem of last years Rosebay Willowherb. Getting close enough without
disturbing the Wall was difficult, but successful. I had only taken two images when this Wall
rose up to see off a passing Holly Blue. Thinking that was it, I was most surprised when the
Butterfly returned to a neighbouring stem for several more shots.

Trevor.
Attachments
On original perch.
On original perch.
Returned to second perch, having seen off a Holly blue.
Returned to second perch, having seen off a Holly blue.
P1320356.JPG
P1320355.JPG

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Lovely shots of the Walls, Trevor :D and on perches high off the ground :D

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of Wall Browns Trevor - I don't think I've ever seen that many in one outing :shock: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

Hi Trevor,

You have great shots of the Pearls this year and the shot of the Holly Blue I am jealous of. I never get close to Holly Blues. I have more and better shots of Purple Hairstreaks then of Holly's. :) Thanks for the offer of Violets, we are just coping at the moment. But it's good to have a supply close by when we need it. :D

Gary

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

:mrgreen: for your Walls! I'll have to take a trip to the seaside to chase some around endlessly! Oh the insanity of having to travel that far for what was once such a common widespread species!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks, Mike, Gary, Wurzel and Buggy.

Todays expedition was even more of a challenge than that with the Walls.
The relentless grey gloom and strong breeze temporarily gave in a little this morning, with a few sunny spells.
There were enough cloud breaks to make a trip to Abbots wood worth risking. Far from ideal conditions
greeted me, and after a short while I nearly gave up. When the Sun did appear, very briefly, a Pearl appeared
from nowhere but was quickly lost in the breeze. Looking at the sky it was clear that a longer spell of
sunshine was not too far away. When it arrived the Pearls responded, with a possible six seen, both basking
and in flight. When the cloud returned I was lucky enough to find two Pearls resting with wings closed.
Photography was made extremely difficult owing to the strong breeze.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1320422.JPG
P1320421.JPG
P1320420.JPG
P1320424.JPG
P1320423.JPG

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Trevor,

It has been very windy here too for the past few days. Well done on those PBF undersides, I know hoe difficult they can be when they are bobbing around on the end of thin stems.

Nice Wall Brown photos too :D

Cheers,

Neil

trevor

Post by trevor »

Reading Dave's ( millerd ) report this morning, and his encounter with the Wood Whites yesterday,
I felt a trip to Chiddingfold forest would be more worthwhile than my original plans for today.
So I set off under clearing skies, and on arrival hazy sunshine welcomed me.
My first Wood White was located in a ditch ( thank goodness for all this dry weather !).
After several more sightings I found a pair on a seed head, incredibly whilst photographing this pair
I was serenaded by not only a nearby Nightingale, but a purring Turtle Dove as well !.
I would estimate about fifteen Wood Whites were seen, as well as many Brimstones, one female
and three male Orange Tips. Many other 'white' Butterflies were present too.

On the way home ( after a stop for Fish and chips ) I called in at Mill Hill, where a fresh male Wall Brown
paused for a snatch shot, also a male Orange Tip posed as did a Brimstone.

A wonderful day,
Trevor.
Attachments
P1320520.JPG
P1320521.JPG
P1320522.JPG
P1320517.JPG
P1320523.JPG
P1320519.JPG
P1320516.JPG
P1320512.JPG
P1320525.JPG
P1320515.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

I had every intention of popping in to see the Dukes this morning on my way to my part time job.
Despite some lovely blue sky out to sea, the dark grey cloud lingered in land, so I drove straight past the turning.
On the way home, however, it was bright, sunny and warm, so I called in. But as it was around 4pm, all was quiet.
Except for one Duke and my first, fresh Common Blue since last November.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1320536.JPG
P1320537.JPG
P1320538.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely Duke and Wood Whites Trevor :D :mrgreen: Finally got my Duke this afternoon :D I didn't get to the Hill but over the last few days it's had Brown Argus, Wall, Duke and the Marshis have arrived - 5 there today, soon they will be everywhere :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks for the info, Wurzel.
I am travelling down on Wednesday, seems like a detour is called for !.
According to the weather forecast Weds. is going to be the best day this week.
I'm also intending to visit on Sat & Sun. Better get several more memory cards !.

Hope to have a good'un,
Trevor

millerd

Post by millerd »

Those Wood Whites were well worth a visit, Trevor - I'm glad they appeared for you. You have now made me envious with the first Common Blue. :mrgreen: Let's hope they have a good year. :)

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks Dave,
Your visit on Friday, confirming that the Wood Whites were on the wing, provided the reason for my visit.
Not that I need a reason to visit Chiddingfold forest, my favourite location by a mile.

David M

Post by David M »

Great spring selection there, Trevor, including a couple of rarities. Nice to see Common Blues have emerged too - hopefully they'll be round my neck of the woods in a day or two.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Early this morning I went over to Friston Gallops, a good site for Down land species.
The only species flying in any number were many Small Heaths, the first for me this year.
The prize of the morning was the discovery of a mating pair, not something I've seen before.
As has become the norm recently, a cloudless sky quickly became cloud covered sky,
putting a premature end to proceedings.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1320615.JPG
P1320617.JPG
P1320621.JPG
P1320616.JPG
P1320622.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I think your shot of the Wood Whites on the seed head is really unusual Trevor, it's stunning, has is your first shot of the Small Heath's Goldie :mrgreen: :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Goldie, I'm glad things have started to liven up in your area.

Yesterday I found myself deep in Wurzel country, along with several UKB'ers, and other hopefuls,
The hoped for Marsh Friitillary did not materialise, at least in the area I was in, but I understand that two
were seen by others.
However, I very quickly found my first Grizzled Skipper of the season, not far from the road, these along with
Dingy Skippers and Green Hairstreaks were found in good numbers.
It was also great to meet Dave ( millerd ) once again, whom I hope found his journey worthwhile.

Might go back today for another try,
Trevor.
Attachments
P1320651.JPG
P1320653.JPG
P1320652.JPG
P1320649.JPG
P1320657.JPG
Note, only one antennae.
Note, only one antennae.

trevor

Post by trevor »

PERSISTENCE PAYS OFF

This morning I returned to the same site as yesterday, and had the place to myself.
The hunt for the Marsh Fritillary was resumed, after over an hour of careful searching, it was a casual glance
that secured the one and only specimen found, and what a beauty !. I was so delighted with the very fine markings,
I have made this specimen my Butterfly of the season so far.
The other species of note were several very fresh Brown Argus.
On the return journey I stopped off beside some military land, near Tilshead. This large area could be a great site,
as a quick visit revealed a Small Blue, a Green Hairstreak and many Dingy Skippers, but the land was dry and parched.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1320698.JPG
P1320699.JPG
P1320696.JPG
P1320697.JPG

kevling

Post by kevling »

Trevor,

Love those fresh Marshies and Brown Argus. I saw my first ones their last year and those fond memories remain.

Regards Kev

millerd

Post by millerd »

That's a lovely new Marshie, Trevor, and definitely not the one Katrina and I saw on Wednesday. :) Hopefully numbers will build over the next week or so.

As we discussed yesterday, the military-owned tracts of land across Salisbury Plain are probably home to countless butterflies. Whatever is accessible certainly seems very productive.

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”