Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Wurzel

Post by David M »

Wurzel wrote: So still fewer Small Tortoiseshells with only a conservative count of 12 - are they being to wane?
I may be wrong, but my experience of Small Tortoiseshells is that they tend to converge in favoured areas soon after emerging from hibernation. In fact, in some years the most Torties I ever see in a single day are on those warm days in March when they're courting like crazy. Afterwards, they seem to 'thin out', as if they know they've done their essential business and can henceforth get on with pottering around nectaring.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D Salisbury does seem to have it's own weather - if I'm not sure where Salsibury is on the weather map I just look for the blue blob :?
Cheers William :D I know what you mean about that Small Tort it does seem more uniform orange than the others.
Cheers David :D I reckon you could be right although I saw 31 on the same route yesterday :? .

24-03-2014 Lunch (I'm slowly catching up!)

Things seem to have gone backwards weather wise this week as I looked at the forecast and saw that we were due some cold winds, heavy rain showers and even some wintry showers. In fact today looked like the best day of the week so at lunch I bolted down the Sweet and Sour Chicken and headed out along the route.
I checked all the usual haunts – the bank, the fencing, the old stump, the big shrubs and even dog turd alley but all to no avail. In fact I thought that I was going to walk the entire route to my turn around point and back without seeing a single butterfly...
As I approached the dead ‘reeds’ something took off. I don’t care that I’ve seen multitudes of Small Tortoiseshells already this year I was still thrilled to see this one. It certainly was a hardy little critter bravely basking while the wind whipped across the field and buffeted it all over. A few quick shots and I left it in peace.
I soon reached the turn-around point and started my way back, almost stepping on an Oil Beetle along the way and jogging past the still pathetically basking Small Tort.
039 - Copy-002.JPG
046 - Copy-002.JPG
So that was it one Small Tort and one Oil Beetle and surprisingly cold ears! I didn’t even attempt to look for Whites on the way home...well maybe the odd peek at the verge but still no joy.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

30-03 Kingston Lacey

Last weekend arrived and it looked like being a great one so I had to make the most of Saturday as Sunday was going to be spent up in the loft knocking more ceilings down and then clearing up behind. So once the girls had gone swimming we rushed back and headed off to Kingston Lacey accompanied by numerous Brimstones along the verges for most of the journey.

Once inside I saw my first butterfly of the day which was a Small Tortoiseshell. As I got a few photos I wondered whether I was actually going to see anything else this year as I seem to be seeing nothing but this species at the moment.
Is this all I’m going to see?
Is this all I’m going to see?
As we were having lunch I clocked a few Brimstones bombing around the place and once the picnic was over a quick trip to the bins meant that on the way back I could try for a few closer Brimstone shots. I always find my first ones are nigh on impossible to get photos of and then as the year wears on they become easier to approach until you can almost sit on the autumnal Brimstones. Luckily I’d seen plenty recently so I’d obviously reached my quota and so was able to get in reasonably close. The pair of males seemed to like this particular spot, favouring it over other areas of the border and would repeatedly come back to it.
042 - Copy-001.JPG
After lunch we started out around the grounds proper to look at the various different gardens first stopping in the Fern area. I didn’t find a Holly Blue or a Specklie like I was hoping for here but there were more Brimstones around and they posed nicely amongst the Daffs and Primroses.
059 - Copy-001.JPG
065 - Copy-001.JPG
Then onwards across the lawn, down the Woodland Avenue (no Orange-tips or Whites) through the Wood (no Specklies still) to the Kitchen garden. Here the girls went off and drove Tractors (all John Dere and not a Massey in sight!) and my wife lazed in the sun on a swing chair so I had a bit of a mooch around. A few Brimstones flew around including my first female of the year which had somehow got caught in the Chicken cage? A Peacock sunned itself on the border gaining heat from the sun above and the decaying manure below and then disappearing as soon as I’d focused my lens on it! I didn’t mind too much as when we left the Kitchen garden on crossing the road back onto the estate proper we were greeted by another Peacock and this one seemed unusual. There were a few extra blue flecks on the hind wing and the eyes seemed to really stand out – it was beautifully marked.
098 - Copy-001.JPG
120 - Copy-001.JPG
We then ended up in the Pacific Garden with the small thatched shelter and this is probably my favourite part of the whole estate as the small shrubs and woodland edge offers a nice mix of habitats and produces the best range of species over the whole estate. Once again it didn’t disappoint with a worn and tired Peacock sparring with a Comma, a further pair of fresh looking Peacocks also sparring both full of vim and vigour and a few other Commas and Peacocks around. One Comma seemed more settled than all the other butterflies but every now and again it would take off to go and have a go at one or more of the Peacocks and then the pair or trio would slice through the air locked in a miniature dogfight. This would end with them either landing back pretty much where they started or all turning the combined efforts on a hapless Brimstone that had inadvertently wandered into their airspace. At one point whilst enjoying this spectacle my joy quickly turned to frustration as a Small White (finally seen one!) landed briefly on a Dandelion and as I cautiously approached the Peacock/ Comma battle re-erupted and in the melee that ensued the White was off – no shots taken!
131 - Copy-001.JPG
142 - Copy-001.JPG
164 - Copy-001.JPG
174 - Copy-001.JPG
Eventually we made a move accompanied back towards the house by yet more Brimstones. On the journey home a did a quick tot up – singles of Small Tortoiseshell and Small White, 3 Comma, 6 Peacocks and Brimstones too numerous to count. All in all a fantastic day even if I didn’t get my Small White shot and one that would see me through the next day of toil and grime.
183 - Copy-001.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Excellent report Wurzel and superb photos :D I understand how you feel in missing the Small White shot, we've all been there :roll: thats a beautifully marked Peacock indeed :D

Mike

William

Post by William »

That Brimstone on Primroses and the subsequent Peacock Wurzel, just superb!!! :D :D

David M

Post by David M »

Brimstone on a daffodil - what a shot!!

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I have primroses in the garden aplenty, Brimstones too - how come I have never seen the two together? :( . That certainly is a beautiful Peacock Wurzel.

jasonbirder

Post by jasonbirder »

Superb day and some great photo's...I'm still waiting on my first "Cabbage White" (i'm not proud...I'll be happy with any one of the three) of the year!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots again Wurzal, I love the Brimstone on the Daffodil Goldie :D

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Wurzel

Your Brimstone pics are great :D I particularly like the half open wing shot on Primrose :D :D I have not managed any Brimstone pics yet this season. I do not think I have ever seen a butterfly on a Daffodil/Narcissus, very unusual.

robpartridge

Post by robpartridge »

Hi, I've photographed hundreds of peacocks and never had one come out like that - great shot,

Rob

"...we'll live, and pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laugh at gilded butterflies."
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Mike :D Still waiting for a Small White - but I'm sure one will turn up soon, I'm off to Wales next week and the hedgerows near my in-laws ususally hold a few.
Cheers William :D The Peacock did play hard to get to start with but was soon surprisingly willing to show off 8)
Cheers David :D That was my 'throw away' end of the day shot, total fluke :D
Cheers Pauline for your kind comments :D
Cheers Jason :D I feeling like that about my first Orange-tip it's still evading me :x
Cheers Goldie :D I almost didn't put that one in :oops:
Cheers Jack :D I was chuffed with that one as it didn't actually see if when I took the picture, it must have just opened them lucky or what 8)
Cheers Rob :D It was certainly eye catching 8)

Moths of Downshay 3

(Back in August)...As I finished the washing up I saw one, then two and then three moths all within cup height. As I‘d just washed and dried the cup I was ready so as I finished the rest of the drying I kept an eye on the moths and then captured one and carried it back up to the tent with the bowl of cutlery and crockery. Then releasing it in the car I had to run back up and down the hill twice more to collect the other two. By the time I’d finished my car looked like a miniature Moth house so I got on with photographing them while the strong evening sun lasted and while I would have enough time to return them to the shower block before dark.

The first moth was instantly recognisable as a Small Magpie due to the yellow body and black and white wings. I seem to recall seeing this in a section on moths in one of the Butterfly Conservation magazines and thinking at the time that it was an attractive little blighter and gives a lot of butterflies a run for the money in the attractiveness stakes.
198 - Copy-001.JPG
206 - Copy-001.JPG
The second was a species that I had always wanted to see and to photograph. It was one of those species that you see in the field guides and you’re drawn to and so because you want to see one you go looking and end up seeing lots of other fantastic things. It’s like the melodic hook of a song that makes you want to listen, only instead it makes you want to go and find one and observe it. The livery of lime and bright pink makes it almost instantaneously recognisable though I suppose it must act as some form of camouflage? Perhaps it’s so daring a colour scheme that no self respecting predator would be seen dead anywhere near it, the clash would be too much :lol: or perhaps in the grey world with ‘cones’ it blends in?

Anyway I had my first Elephant Hawk Moth and so I spent some time just admiring it before realising that there was one final species so I had to move on, but only after finding out that they like Honeysuckle as a nectar source, worth remembering.
216 - Copy-001.JPG
246 - Copy-001.JPG
The final species was one that I had found a few times before; a Buff Ermine. Checking my App to confirm its ID I noticed that they ‘often come to artificial light’ so one I could try for in my bathroom at home.
229 - Copy-001.JPG
234 - Copy-001.JPG
So those were the Moths of Downshay...well there were a few more but I was starting to get strange looks down at the washing up/shower block so I thought it best to knock the Moth collection on the head. Still hopefully we’ll return this year and possibly at a different time of year so I might find a different range of species.
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

01-04 Lunch

Having spent a glorious Saturday wandering the grounds and gardens of a large country estate in glorious sunshine and surrounded by butterflies Sunday came and couldn’t have been more different. I spent the morning moving furniture from the girls’ bedroom into ours and then moving fibreglass around in the loft before knocking the old lathe and plaster ceiling down. It was a good job too as one part a single hammer blow was enough to bring down a sixth of the ceiling! Occasionally I would glance out of the window from above and I saw a Brimstone and then a Small Tortoiseshell fly by outside which looked heavenly. Having spent all day in the dark, then dust, then grime and then in the shower it was with some annoyance that I succumbed to a bought of Metitis and checked all my weather Apps along with the Countryfile forecast only for all of them to show the nice weather not lasting and a return to wintery showers for the start of my holiday. Typical! :twisted:

So on Tuesday when it was reasonable I headed out anyway full of hope and it paid off. I walked the usual route to the end of the path and then turned round and came back. There were Small Torts everywhere – perhaps the final batch had finished their hibernation due to the nice weather of the weekend or perhaps they sensed the cooler and wetter weather ahead so thought they better stick up? I favour the latter option as they were very frantic and antisocial in their efforts; there was none amorous activities that I’d witnessed previously. It was also heartening to see a nice range of Bees about with several Andrena species, Bumble bees and my first Tawny Mining Bee of the year.
020 - Copy-002.JPG
028 - Copy-002.JPG
035 - Copy-002.JPG
041 - Copy-002.JPG
Back at the bank there were Small Torts filed along the length bring my tally to a great total of 31 and also my second Small White of the year. It erupted from a Dandelion before I even knew it was there as I was approaching the bank from the top, flew around the car park three times, each time getting lower and then veered off across the football pitch never to be seen again. I wouldn’t have minded so much if only it hadn’t of done those three teasing circuits around the car park! Grrr!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Just catching up on your last few posts Wurzel, particularly liking the Brimstones :D

Nice Elephant Hawk Moth, I haven't seen one of those for a while. I used to find the caterpillars regularly many years ago and reared them through a number of times, absolutely beautiful moth when freshly emerged :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

You may not have caught up with any Orange Tips yet Wurzel but you're overachieving with the rest! Those Orange Tips had better watch out when they do arrive in your neck of the woods! I'm looking forward to seeing some amazing photos when they get within rage of your lens. :D

ATB

B'saurus

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Neil :D That was my first Elephant and even though it was a bit lack lustre from hanging around a barn roof it was still a thrill finding it :D
Cheers Rex for your very kind comments :D :oops: Still no OT's - but I'm getting closer, I missed one by five minutes yesterday apparently :) .

Have a goodun

Wurzel

maverick

Post by maverick »

Looking at everybody's post just recently I think that the small torts are in for a really good year,I must have seen over 30 individuals in less than an hour yestetday

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Indeed Maverick, the Small Tort rise and rise continues! :D

01-04 Way Home

As Tuesday wore on it actually turned into quite a nice day despite the best efforts of the weather persons and the ‘Doom with intermittent showers of Gloom’. I felt that I needed to get out in the clean air as upon my return I had to rearrange the fibreglass back in the loft so that it covered the new ceiling boards and sealed the edges plus I felt like I needed to catch-up having missed a great day on Sunday. Because of this I risked the wrath of my wife and made a brief 5 minute stop-off on the way home. The question was where? It is still a bit early for Larkhill as the grasses are best for Browns and Skippers, likewise for Woodhenge and The Devenish and with only one or two Orange-tips reported in the whole county the Woodfords was out too. So that just left heading home the back way with a stop off at the tank pull-in near Coombe.

Once I was there it was still bright and the sun felt good warming my back. As I got the camera from the boot (it’s still a bit early for it to ride on the passenger seat) a movement caught my eye. The tank tracks tear up the side of the concrete drive leaving deep gouges in the mud. These catch the water eventually providing mineral licks or dry out hard making great basking spots and that was what the Peacock that had caught my eye was doing now – basking in the afternoon sun. It took off as a second Peacock flew along the edge of the bank and they both spiralled away up over the side of the hill. I didn’t have to wait long for something else to catch my eye as a male Brimstone alighted on a catkin looking gorgeous in the sun. However like the Peacock before another male arrived on the scene and the two of them took off in an aerial battle.
043 - Copy-002.JPG
044 - Copy-002.JPG
I then took a stroll down through the nettles and along the side of the river and here Small Tortoiseshells were basking, though with the growth of the vegetation they’re becoming harder to spot and also the warmth of the sun had charged them fully so they didn’t stay still for very long. I did find another Peacock basking on the dead reeds and it was very haughty but again a second Peacock appeared, quartering the reeds and so I counted down before the inevitable happened. I’d gotten from 10 to 3 before both erupted in a spiral.
Almost back at the car another flitting movement caught my eye but this was smaller and more orange – a Comma. I only managed a handful of shots before, yep you’ve guessed it, a Peacock appeared and another scrap broke out!
048 - Copy-002.JPG
050 - Copy-002.JPG
In the end the totals I reported came to 1 Comma, 2 Peacocks, 2 Brimstones and 6 Small Tortoiseshells. When I looked at my watch before driving away I realized that I’d taken 10 minutes. Ten minutes?! Shocking! I’m well below above my personal best so I need to make some drastic improvements before the Larkhill season begins!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Excellent Brimstone shots Wurzel and that Elephant Hawk Moth earlier was a real stunner :D

Mike

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Love the Brimstone on catkin photos Wurzel :D

I know what you mean about Peacocks disrupting nicely posed shots, at least with them, Commas and Small Torts they tend to return to favourite basking spots. Once a Brimstone is disturbed, its off...

Cheers,

Neil.

Return to “Personal Diaries”