Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Goldie M

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie,

I see DoB have been sighted at Gait Barrows a few days ago along with PBF. I am heading north in a couple of weeks and will be stopping for a couple of nights in the area so have been keeping an eye on the Lancashire BC sightings page. Hoping to have time, weather permitting, to have a look around Gait Barrows as well as Warton Crag and Arnside Knott.

Cheers,

Neil

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

You're notching up the species count Goldie :D My first Greenstreak of the year is always a relief :lol: Good luck with the Pearls and Dukes!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Neil, wouldn't you know it I was up there on the 17th and never saw a thing :roll: I hope you enjoy your trip North, in three weeks I'm going South to Sussex, I don't know what I'm expecting to see but hope fully I'll see some thing, If their not finished by then a Wood White would be good and a Grizzled Skipper, I expect they'll have gone by then.
You should be in time to see (if your going then) the Small Pearl BF so hope you have more luck at finding them then I've had up to now, :D Goldie :D

Thanks Wurzel, I got the Green Hair Streaks at GB but nothing else, now Neil tells me the Duke and the Pearls are out at GB after me going up there on Tuesday :roll: looks like another journey is on the cards :D Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Yesterday the Sun was shining so we decided a quick visit to Gait Barrow was a good Idea having been told by Neil that the Dukes were out and the PBF had been seen.
When we got to where the Dukes usually are we saw the Cordons all a round the enclosure, this is very good for their protection but not too good for photography unless you've got the heavy type of lens that I saw there being used. It also helps if the Butterfly moves to the front so you can get a shot :D this was not the case yesterday, the Butterfly stayed well out in the Briers so shots had to be taken in-between Ferns, grass, etc :D

At least I saw it and managed some kind of shot even if far a way :D Whilst I was shuffling with other people to get a shot of the Duke what should come on the scene but the PBF, it whizzed about like a small Plane, diving over the Duke and landing first one side and then the other of the cordon, never, in-between :D
I did manage some shots but being as it's a couple of years since I've seen one, I'm hoping it's a PBF but I'm not sure :?:

Also seen was another Green Hair Streak, and a Speckled Yellow Moth, after going to GB twice before and seeing nothing it was great to finally see the Duke and the PBF. Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_7876.jpg
IMG_7833.jpg
IMG_7831.jpg
IMG_7869.jpg
IMG_7872.jpg
IMG_7847.jpg

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

You're probably used to seeing the white variety Goldie :wink: :lol: That was a cracking photo actually that won't be forgotten in a hurry. Seriously, really pleased that you got to see the butterflies you were after even tho' I understand your frustration about the (necessary) barriers. Well done :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks Pauline,glad you liked the White :D
I was at Hall-Lee-Brook today hoping to get a shot of a Holly Blue, I saw it but it was even further a way than the Duke, needless to say I didn't get one. :lol: I'll keep trying though :D Goldie :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Just to be clear Goldie, for any 'newbies' that might be reading your diary, I wasn't referring to the smashing Small Whites you have posted recently but that amazing white PBF which you posted on page 8 of your diary and which has had over 1000 views! Not only is it a stunning butterfly but it has to be one of the best photos you have taken :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: That has to be the highlight of your diary?

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I'll second that, Pauline. Gosh, it was 53 pages ago and seems just like yesterday - a very memorable series of photos, Goldie :)

Mike

millerd

Post by millerd »

I shan't forget that photo in a hurry, either, Goldie! A real find that was. :mrgreen: :)

Congratulations on seeing the Duke and the PBF yesterday - you've been waiting awhile for that. :)

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Pauline, that was the high light of my Butterfly adventures so far :D I still get the pictures up on my computer and just stare at them :D I feel sorry for the man who pointed it out to me has I have the pictures and all he had was his Binoculars, if I knew where he was I'd send him a photo. :D WoW! a thousand people you say have looked at them, that's fantastic :D I bet you can guess what the photo is on my Computer desk top :lol:

Thank you Mike, gosh 53 pages since I posted, I still hope to see some thing like it again, that beautiful Butterfly that was posted the other day was awesome . I have a confession to make to you Mike after all your help I still forgot when I was at GB to change to a larger depth of field when taking the shots of the Duke, I think this could have made a difference to the shots I took of it, I'm still learning it seems, by mistakes :D

Thank you Dave, I think it's everybody's wish to find some thing different, I'm still looking :lol: When I saw the Pearl's at GB I remembered the White SPBF I saw there and the date 4th of June( I t was the day before my Husbands Birthday and boy did we celebrate both day's :lol: Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Today I added three firsts for 2016 :D We went to Southport and in the Dunes I found ( to my surprise) Small Heath, Common Blue and a rather damaged looking Wall.
The Small Heath looked very fresh also the CB, there was lots of SH out but I only counted a few CB so I suppose they're just emerging. I only saw the Wall twice I knew it was the same one with the damage to it's wing and the paleness of it's colour, I hoped I'd see more but none appeared, there was no Small Copper either
which was disappointing but at least I got some shots of the other Butterflies. :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_7957.jpg
IMG_7937.jpg
IMG_7973.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

You're back in the butterflies which is great to see Goldie :D
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

It was fantastic Wurzel to actually go for two days and actually see what I hoped to see. :lol: Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Another lovely day today so we went to Gait Barrow, No Dukes, which was disappointing but I managed some more Fritillaries and my first Dingy Skipper of the year.
I also saw a Speckled Yellow Moth and couldn't leave GB without looking at the Slipper Orchids which were at their best. Goldie :D
Attachments
Slipper Orchid
Slipper Orchid
Speckled Yellow Moth
Speckled Yellow Moth
Dingy Skipper
Dingy Skipper
Dingy Skipper
Dingy Skipper
Pearl Bordered Fritillary
Pearl Bordered Fritillary

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I've just discovered that one of the photos I took on the 22nd of May was not a Pearl Bordered Fritillary but a SPBF, :roll: having discovered that it seems I may have taken shots of both again on the 30th May, :D well, at least I've bagged both. :D Goldie :lol:
Attachments
Small Pearl Bordered 30th May
Small Pearl Bordered 30th May
Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary 22nd May
Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary 22nd May
Pearl Bordered Fritillary 30th May
Pearl Bordered Fritillary 30th May

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Good to see the Lady's Slipper Orchids doing well at GB. I'm hoping to visit GB myself later this month for the Dark Red Helleborines.

Mike

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Mike, hope you see the NBArgus then and may be the High Brown Fritillaries and many other's :D
I'm going to Meathop at the end of June to see if I can get better photos of the Large Heath, they were a bit too active for me last time. :lol: Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great going on the two sets of Pearls Goldie :D , the Pearl hasn't made it any easier for you by being in such good nick! :roll: :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzel, the Small Pearl's were later this year, you got the odd one that may have been a bit sooner but most were quite late, on the other hand, the SPBF were on time :) I think the weather being very good up here these last few days have helped them. :D Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

After a rather active weekend ( it was my Husbands Birth day) we went to Brockholes on Sunday, it was a lovely day of hot Sunshine so we wanted to make the most of the lovely walks around the Nature Reserve.

We walked along the board walk of the floating Restaurant looking into the water and we'd never seen so many Damsel Flies altogether in one place it was fantastic, the water seemed alive with them and much bigger Darter's.

Has I walked away from the Lake this flying orange caught my eye it was a Large Skipper much to my surprise :D Then my Granddaughter gave me a shout to look at a red Butterfly she said, then I was really amazed to see a Painted Lady, I also saw Common Blues mating at one point there was a three some :lol:

That was yesterday, this morning early 9-15 we were out in the Garden and we found anther Painted Lady on the Boules Mauve, I think the weather up here has encouraged them to come North :lol: Goldie :D
Attachments
Damsel Fly 5th June BH
Damsel Fly 5th June BH
Large Heath 5th June BH
Large Heath 5th June BH
Painted Lady 6th June BG
Painted Lady 6th June BG
Painted Lady 5th June Brockholes
Painted Lady 5th June Brockholes
Common Blues 5th June BH
Common Blues 5th June BH
Common Blues 5th June BH
Common Blues 5th June BH

Return to “Personal Diaries”