May 2014

Discussion forum for sightings.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: May 2014

Post by Lee Hurrell »

You should have seen my face on Friday, Dave :(
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Rodborough Common, Near Stroud, Gloucestershire Wonderful weather spent in a beautiful place yesterday, my main target was the recently emerged Adonis Blue and I started my search not far off Butterow Hill and was frustrated when a possible flew at high speed past me, I could not confirm so continued my search into an area where I've seen the odd Duke of Burgundy and I was lucky to see four, including a pair in cop. On with my search and along the way plenty of Dingy Skipper and Green Hairstreak and both species are having a really good year :) the former was really out in force, and I must have seen well in excess of a hundred.

Sat having my morning coffee and a Kit-Kat (indespensible :wink: ) on one of the many benches that provide such spectacular views of the Cotswold countryside, I espied a familiar figure searching along the scrub and grasses and lo and behold it was that UK Butterflies stalwart David M, we exchanged notes and I showed him the D of B colony nearest to Rodborough Fort, this colony is not always the most productive, however I had already counted at least ten and David and I probably added a further 4 or 5, this was much better because David had already visited the commons 'hot-spot' and seen nothing :shock: my thoughts returned to my meeting with Matthew Oates on May day bank holiday at the 'hot-spot' and his concerns about it, but soon after I found at least ten and was surprised at their apparent absence on this occasion :!: . David and I decided to meet up at Swellshill Bank after lunch which is probably the Adonis Blues favourite area on the common, I parked up next to David's 'Adonis blue' car...and that was the nearest I got to him because he seemed to have vanished during his search, but I did in fact have a very brief view of him before he sent a herd of heifers charging towards me :shock: :roll: I managed to survive and turned them back around in the direction they had come from...straight towards David :twisted: he must have survived too because I've seen his diary post :lol: (You had gone when I got back to where you had parked David...possibly heading for Alun Valley :?: ).

Back to the Adonis Blue hunt and success :) a pair was found at the bottom of Swellshill Bank and I added a further four when I returned to the previously mentioned D of B hotspot later in the afternoon. Things had obviously changed at the 'hot-spot' because I counted 5 or 6 insects along with Brown Argus, Small Copper, Common & Small Blue. My final tally for the day for Duke of Burgundy was approximately 45 this included many of the commons colonies, so not exactly great but not too bad either.

Also a single Small Tortoiseshell (they've gone quiet!) and a couple of Speckled Wood and the latter are not exactly plentiful this year. I also located Cistus Forester during my time on Swellshill Bank, it took considerably searching among the many Forester out on the bank. All in a very successful day...even if I lost David who almost assassinated me with a herd of cows :shock: and then did a runner back to South Wales :lol:

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"
Attachments
Same Adonis Blue as below shown open winged
Same Adonis Blue as below shown open winged
Adonis took a bit of searching for
Adonis took a bit of searching for
Fresh looking Brown Argus, I find them hard to get a really good image!
Fresh looking Brown Argus, I find them hard to get a really good image!
Another nice Duke of Burgundy specimen
Another nice Duke of Burgundy specimen
Nice start to the day...
Nice start to the day...
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
kevling

Post by kevling »

Bill,

I am heading west on my hols at the weekend with Duke of Burgundy at the top of my wish list, so thanks for the detailed report. Can you just confirm if there are D of B at Swellshill Bank along with the Adonis Blue.

The other site I had in mind for D of B was Prestbury Hill, Cheltenham. Can you or anyone else give an update on the current situation there.

I loved the photos, especially the Brown Argus. I too struggled with photos of this species at the weekend and would have been proud of that one.

Kind Regards
Kev Ling
Susie

Post by Susie »

Just returned from Hutchinson's bank. I'm a bit off colour today so decided not to make my planned trip west for marsh frits and look for glanvilles instead just in case any were hanging on. I found the spot I think the glanvilles must have been but didnt see any. It is a good site for butterflies though and I dont think I've ever seen so many brimstone. Also seen were small white and orange tip, small heath and common blue, brown argus, small blue, peacock and speckled wood.
David M

Post by David M »

kevling wrote:
I am heading west on my hols at the weekend with Duke of Burgundy at the top of my wish list, so thanks for the detailed report. Can you just confirm if there are D of B at Swellshill Bank along with the Adonis Blue.
Hi Kev, DoB can sometimes be located at Swellshill Bank (I've personally only ever seen one there though).

However, if you travel up towards the 'fort' (5 minute drive) at Rodborough Common there are numerous little hollows and craters and you will definitely see some there, especially around the shrubline at the bottom of the hill just above the tarmacked road.

Bill - You did well to spot two Adonis. I sat for over 20 minutes about 30m from the base of the hill and saw no blue whatsoever in the air, and given that male Adonis are constantly on the move in hot weather, I felt certain there were none there.

As for the heifers, yes, I remember seeing them suddenly gallop off. I thought they were getting excited at that pick-up truck that was driving close to them (perhaps because this truck doles out animal feed to them?) I didn't realise you were in their way :(

Not a pleasant sight is it? Ten thousand kg of prime beef charging your way!! Glad you managed to avoid them.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

At long last...after months of searching my local areas in Kent...I have finally sighted my 1st Red Admiral of 2014!! :shock:

The last time i saw a Red Admiral was way back on the 10/11/13!

In fact, i sighted 2 red Admirals today :D the 1st, which was seen/photographed in my back garden this morning, then the 2nd sighting of the day, was around lunch time at work.
So there you go, its not a Myth...we do have red Admirals in Kent :wink:

A photo of the "rare" beast! :lol: i just had enough time to capture a couple of shots, before the butterfly vanished out of sight.

Note - I shot this using my old Panny 10 megapixel FZ28! which i have been using lately, along side my FZ45 and Nikon D7000.

Cheers Paul.

19th-May-2014-016-to-600.jpg
Stampy98

River Wye, Monmouth

Post by Stampy98 »

A pleasant walk along the river Wye this morning in very warm conditions. Butterflies included:

20+ green veined white
1 small white
1 large white
6 peacock
6 small tortoiseshell
10+ common blue

Also for those dragonfly enthusiasts, a good emergence of club-tailed dragonfly. Between 7.30am and 12 I saw 22 emerging. I presume there were many more after I left.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Testudo Man wrote:At long last...after months of searching my local areas in Kent...I have finally sighted my 1st Red Admiral of 2014!! :shock:

The last time i saw a Red Admiral was way back on the 10/11/13!
Hi Paul,

I haven't seen one yet this year and my last one was in Dorset last September.

Neil F.
dave_b_james

Post by dave_b_james »

First time posting so I thought I'd share a few of my sightings from the weekend. On Saturday the 17th of May me and a couple of mates drove from Northampton to spend the day searching the hot spots between Cirencester and Stroud. We had a great day with Hailey Wood being the first port of call. Lots of Pearl Bordered Frits were in the small clearing south of the sawmill but we only managed to get record shots despite spending a few hours there chasing them around. After this we headed to Strawberry Banks for Marsh Fritillary despite the lack of recent records hoping the recent hot weather would bring them out. We wasn't to be disappointed as lots of Marsh Fritillaries were present all over the two fields. I couldn't believe just how many there were! Everywhere we looked they could be seen flying along the tops of the flowers! A few Small Blues, Common Blues, Small Copper and Green Hairstreaks were also present. After a couple of hours we tore ourselves away (and I do mean tore as it was quite a spectacle) and headed over to Rodborough Common. The wind was quite strong and we headed to the bottom of the steeps slopes which was much more sheltered. Lots of Forrester Moths were on the wing all over the site but the bulk of the butterflies were at the base of the slope with Adonis Blues, Brown Argus and lots of Small Blues present. We hadn't been to any of these sites before and all the planning was done using information found on this forum so it's a big thumbs up to everyone who contributes to it.
Pearl Bordered Fritillary, Hailey Wood
Marsh Fritillary, Strawberry Banks
Small Blue, Rodborough Common
Small Blue, Rodborough Common
Adonis Blue, Rodborough Common
Adonis Blue, Rodborough Common
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

More Glanville photos with Canon 7D. Ian
Attachments
06-Pratt-Ian--IMG_5254-Edit.jpg
03-Pratt-Ian--IMG_5280.jpg
02-Pratt-Ian--IMG_5273.jpg
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

dave_b_james wrote:First time posting so I thought I'd share a few of my sightings from the weekend.
Great photos particularly for first posting. I look forward to more of the same.
Ian
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Some common blues taken this evening at Brading Down IOW whilst roosting. Possible Adonis blues amongst them. Any ideas which are which or are they all common blues?
Ian
Attachments
14222137412_a396f2ed5f_z.jpg
14037830419_0dd1c157f6_z.jpg
05-Pratt-Ian--P1000716.jpg
04-Pratt-Ian--P1000706.jpg
03-Pratt-Ian--P1000701.jpg
Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Possible Adonis blues amongst them. Any ideas which are which or are they all common blues?
Hi Ian, Lovely photos, they all look like Common Blues to me, Adonis have black markings right to the very end of the white fringes, especially prominent on the fore wings.

Best Wishes

B'suarus
David M

Post by David M »

dave_b_james wrote:On Saturday the 17th of May me and a couple of mates drove from Northampton to spend the day searching the hot spots between Cirencester and Stroud. We had a great day with Hailey Wood being the first port of call. Lots of Pearl Bordered Frits were in the small clearing south of the sawmill but we only managed to get record shots despite spending a few hours there chasing them around. After this we headed to Strawberry Banks for Marsh Fritillary despite the lack of recent records hoping the recent hot weather would bring them out. We wasn't to be disappointed as lots of Marsh Fritillaries were present all over the two fields. I couldn't believe just how many there were! Everywhere we looked they could be seen flying along the tops of the flowers! A few Small Blues, Common Blues, Small Copper and Green Hairstreaks were also present. After a couple of hours we tore ourselves away (and I do mean tore as it was quite a spectacle) and headed over to Rodborough Common. The wind was quite strong and we headed to the bottom of the steeps slopes which was much more sheltered. Lots of Forrester Moths were on the wing all over the site but the bulk of the butterflies were at the base of the slope with Adonis Blues, Brown Argus and lots of Small Blues present. We hadn't been to any of these sites before and all the planning was done using information found on this forum so it's a big thumbs up to everyone who contributes to it.
Great opening effort, Dave.

You trumped me because I spent over 2 hours at Rodborough Common and a further half hour at Swells Hill Bank without seeing an Adonis Blue.

Well done.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Iain, isn't that a sneaky Brown Argus top right? :)

Vince
David M

Post by David M »

Vince Massimo wrote:Iain, isn't that a sneaky Brown Argus top right? :)

Vince
100%, Vince.

Well spotted.
Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Vince Massimo wrote:Iain, isn't that a sneaky Brown Argus top right? :)

Vince
Hehe indeed it is, well spotted Vince the No '8' gives it away. :D
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Thanks everyone. I thought they were all common blues but missed the brown argus. :oops: Ian
RobS

Post by RobS »

Botany Bay Chiddingfold complex today.Good numbers of Wood White on site including one individual who was exploring the mud at the north entrance to the wood.It was the first time i have photographed a butterfly from the comfort of my car seat...not 2 metres away !!
There was a Grizzled Skipper in the clearing by the entrance and another 2 in the main clearing in the middle of the wood, along with plenty of Dingies too.
Green Hairstreak were conspicuous with at least 6 individuals on the wing in the clearing including one who i witnessed egg laying.
A Holly Blue was about in the morning and at lunchtime i was joined by a Common Blue, who was far too frenetic to allow me anything other than a record shot photo.
All this and the continued musical accompaniment from the Nightingales buried unseen in the surrounding trees !!
A very good (and hot) day.

cheers
Rob
Under canvas. Just the wild woods for company.
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Willrow wrote:Rodborough Common, Near Stroud, Gloucestershire Wonderful weather spent in a beautiful place yesterday, my main target was the recently emerged Adonis Blue and I started my search not far off Butterow Hill and was frustrated when a possible flew at high speed past me, I could not confirm so continued my search into an area where I've seen the odd Duke of Burgundy and I was lucky to see four, including a pair in cop. On with my search and along the way plenty of Dingy Skipper and Green Hairstreak and both species are having a really good year :) the former was really out in force, and I must have seen well in excess of a hundred.

Sat having my morning coffee and a Kit-Kat (indespensible :wink: ) on one of the many benches that provide such spectacular views of the Cotswold countryside, I espied a familiar figure searching along the scrub and grasses and lo and behold it was that UK Butterflies stalwart David M, we exchanged notes and I showed him the D of B colony nearest to Rodborough Fort, this colony is not always the most productive, however I had already counted at least ten and David and I probably added a further 4 or 5, this was much better because David had already visited the commons 'hot-spot' and seen nothing :shock: my thoughts returned to my meeting with Matthew Oates on May day bank holiday at the 'hot-spot' and his concerns about it, but soon after I found at least ten and was surprised at their apparent absence on this occasion :!: . David and I decided to meet up at Swellshill Bank after lunch which is probably the Adonis Blues favourite area on the common, I parked up next to David's 'Adonis blue' car...and that was the nearest I got to him because he seemed to have vanished during his search, but I did in fact have a very brief view of him before he sent a herd of heifers charging towards me :shock: :roll: I managed to survive and turned them back around in the direction they had come from...straight towards David :twisted: he must have survived too because I've seen his diary post :lol: (You had gone when I got back to where you had parked David...possibly heading for Alun Valley :?: ).

Back to the Adonis Blue hunt and success :) a pair was found at the bottom of Swellshill Bank and I added a further four when I returned to the previously mentioned D of B hotspot later in the afternoon. Things had obviously changed at the 'hot-spot' because I counted 5 or 6 insects along with Brown Argus, Small Copper, Common & Small Blue. My final tally for the day for Duke of Burgundy was approximately 45 this included many of the commons colonies, so not exactly great but not too bad either.

Also a single Small Tortoiseshell (they've gone quiet!) and a couple of Speckled Wood and the latter are not exactly plentiful this year. I also located Cistus Forester during my time on Swellshill Bank, it took considerably searching among the many Forester out on the bank. All in a very successful day...even if I lost David who almost assassinated me with a herd of cows :shock: and then did a runner back to South Wales :lol:

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"
I find brown argus difficult to photograph too as the brown never seems quite right. They remind me of Terry's plain chocolate orange!
Ian

Return to “Sightings”