Reverdin

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Reverdin

Re: Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

interesting views... I've seen Pierids nectaring on bluebells, but as a roost... sort of hari-kiri really. Maybe not the most genuine photos and of no scientific value whatsoever... Believe it or not I did think quite a long time about it before, decided to but sort of does detract from any value, so won't hurry to repeat the folly.
Also agreed, handling a rarity would be too risky under most circumstances to contemplate.... just not worth it.
Otherwise, thanks for some kind words all. :oops:

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Orange Tips and Green-veined Whites both sit on bluebells with some regularity. On Sunday, while leaving Heyshott Escarpment via the sheltered lane at its base, I watched a male Orange Tip react immediately to the temperature drop as thick cloud covered the sun. Despite the availability of plants offering much better camouflage it dived straight onto a bluebell. I've seen two other Orange Tips (1m, 1f) and a GVW perched on bluebells this spring, and that's despite not being out nearly as much as usual! Perhaps this is a reflection of rapid shutdown, rather than the more leisurely selection of a bed for the night under more favourable weather conditions. It is certainly more common to find them at slumber on a plant affording a much better match.
Neil

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

That's very interesting, I've just never seen that naturally myself..... should have claimed genuine photos :roll: :D :wink: Hey ho... that's why I would be no good at Poker :lol:

David M

Post by David M »

The only butterfly I've ever seen settled on bluebells is Marsh Fritillary (and even then it wasn't necatring).

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Maybe they like blue.... reminds me of the Alps a couple of years ago, and another sort of blue...
09 E. aurinia  Route de Col de Joux Planes 0306 1 003.jpg
and I didn't stage that one :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Visually stunning shots however they were obtained :D I've had female Orange-tips roosting on Bluebells this year but I don't know about other whites.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Today was the first hopeful day up here for a while, though cool, the sun was out. :D The decision was between late GHs nearby, or earlyish Dukes and PBFs a bit further afield.... well.... there was only ever one decision, and fingers x'd for the sparing of wall to wall cloud on arrival, I set out..

Dukes appeared immediately, first 2 spiralling males, but over the next 2-3 hours, there must have been up to 8 in the small area I patrolled. - no females though. Interestingly, my car told me it was 9.5c as I left it, but the transect lady had a thermometer reaching 16c in the habitat, a small sheltered hotspot... and long may it remain so for the Dukes to continue there :D
s1/100 f9.0 i100 100mm macro IS + tripod + remote release + PS CS5
s1/100 f9.0 i100 100mm macro IS + tripod + remote release + PS CS5
s1/80 f9.0 i100 100mm macro IS + tripod + remote release + PS CS5
After a chat with fellow enthusiast Martin, I followed his suggested route to a PBF area I did not already know... there must have been at least half a dozen there, but they were really skittish, allowing me only one decent record shot. Nevertheless they are always a joy to behold, especially in the frozen North here. :D
:D :D :D

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

No butterflies today, but this chap popped in for tea.....
taken from about two feet away :roll:
IMG_3975.jpg

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Bit of a trial posting...

selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

They are awsome photo's some of the best I've seen. Well taken!

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Cheers Paul :D - I am ever trying to work out how much to sharpen etc etc for the best look on screen.... not necessarily the same as best print etc etc... and nowadays there are many stunning photos on this site, I'm still trying to find out how they do it!!! Are you a photographer? Hiding your light under a bushell?? I can't find any you have posted :D

Here is one from today.... I wanted a well marked GH, and this was among 7 at my local site, most fresh and including one mating pair :D :D

:D :D
Last edited by Reverdin on Mon May 14, 2012 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Another great photo!
I do take some photo's myself, but its only with a small compact camera. It's good enough to take the odd superb photo, but it doesn't guarantee it.
Where is "local" to you? Your profile just says "Northern England" - I'm Sheffield based myself.

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

There's only one thing to do when you have the day off, and wall to wall sunshine is promised... yay.... a long trip!.... Cumbria beckoned with two species I cannot see any closer, amid beautiful scenery and old fishing towns.
I was not to be disappointed, :D though a healthy breeze did make photography difficult :roll:

s1/80 f9.0 i100

s1/80 f9.0 i100

s1/80 f9.0 i100

s1/80 f9.0 i100
may add a few more yet :D :D
Last edited by Reverdin on Fri May 25, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David M

Post by David M »

Excellent array of photos.

I'm surprised Marsh Frits are already out in northern England though, as they've only very recently emerged in the south.

Perhaps 25c temperatures everywhere are some kind of generic leveller.

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

I guess so... looking back.. last week in May is when they have appeared for the last 5 years, so no different this year... although there were only 2 - so I suspect today or yesterday to be day1. The Small Blues were out in force!!! - up here at least, things seem to be arriving now on time! Interestingly, the OTs & GVWs are still going strong, possibly later than they usually last :?

David M

Post by David M »

Marsh Frits were out in early May in S. Wales last year but have only just emerged now (a difference of almost 3 weeks). That said, Orange Tips and GVWs have practically disappeared down here, so if they're still going strong up north I suspect you're at least a week behind.

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Reverdin wrote:nowadays there are many stunning photos on this site, I'm still trying to find out how they do it!!!
I suspect that the problem with one's own photos is that they are viewed in competition with the memory of the real thing - which was always so much better! Other people's photos don't suffer from that competition.

Mike

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

possibly so, yes!... I was musing why I take photos today.... it relates to what you just posted, in that I decided it was because I want that moment of beauty in front of me to last forever... and photos serve as a reminder of that fleeting view - but as you say.. a pale imitation ( tho' I do saturate a teensy bit :lol: )

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Here's another minimus from last Friday....

It has to be one of my very favourite butterflies in this country :D

..... and another shot of the Marsh Frit...

:D

A fresh female Speckled Wood in the garden this lunchtime. :?

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

After a late start this year, my contrived "Alpine meadow" looked a bit spartan in April,
IMG_3425.jpg
IMG_3428.jpg
but now at the start of June, is looking a bit more like it.
IMG_4594.jpg
IMG_4593.jpg
Hopefully there will be some other colours than yellow around soon!! :D

So... it's time to add another metre or so....
IMG_4590.jpg
IMG_4591.jpg
plenty of seed to come later!! :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”