September 2008

Discussion forum for sightings.
NickB

Re: September 2008

Post by NickB »

bugmadmark wrote:
Sussex Kipper wrote: I might need to learn some basics though, as it will be mighty embarrassing if I'm holding it at the wrong end! :lol:
Neil

Hi Nick

I want to take a look at Fleam Dyke - I'm working at Addenbrookes for 1 more month so it's only up road from where I work so I'm thinking of taking a look one lunchtime. Which end of Fleam is best to check for butterflies? Also, is the area reasonably - I'm thinking if weather ok this w/end I may ventrue out - but I've 3 kids - 1 of which is 'tied' to his pushchair. All are into butterflies - honest! Mark.
It is approachable from the Fulbourn end at the back of the Nature reserve; or from the A14 lay-by on the west-bound lane, where the A14 cuts the Dyke. The Balsham end is wooded, not great for butterflies. To be honest I doubt there will be too much to see in the way of butterflies in the next month - but it is a great walk with lots of other wildlife. (Not sure it is exactly push-chair friendly though as the path is narrow on top of the bank, with one or two breaks with steps up and down.. But at least, unlike the Devils Dyke at Newmarket, there is no dog-shit!)
Good to get acquainted with for next season!
Nick
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Susie

Post by Susie »

bugmadmark wrote: Life's a B. Larvae looks healthy tho in pic - so prob a virus. I used to rear lots of moths as teenager. Some years no prob, but as soon as humid conditions came - virus or fungal infections killed many off - in fact the Emporer Moth caterpillars (amazing to look at) just stop walking, turn brown and sag in middle suspended from plant as a bag of liquified mush. You lose pretty much everything to this as it is so contagious.

Out of curiosity - The Garlic Mustard looks like it has no leaves in pics - is this because the caterpillars have consummed them all - or are the leaves actually stalk like? Thanks for sharing the pics. Mark
That is exactly what happened to these. They were fine and healthy one day, next time I checked them because they had started to disappear this is what I found (this is the same caterpillar as in the previous photograph but the following day) :

All the Red Admiral caterpillars disappeared at the same time so it doesn't seem to be a problem specific to one type. :(

The garlic mustard had lots of healthy leaves, they just aren't any in that photograph. What you can see which is stalk like is seed pods.
NickB

Post by NickB »

Susie wrote: On the other hand, I could have been making a reference to all realities exist simultaneously and the egg, caterpillar and butterfly being one and the same because time is, in fact, an illusion .. .
Existentialism breaks out on UKB!

(Perhaps we should get that great French thinker, Eric Cantona, to explain that one!?)
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
bugmadmark

Post by bugmadmark »

Pretty much as I recall seeing my larvae go. Not a nice way is it but there's is a good reason for everything I'm sure!

Nick - Thanks for info on Fleam. Mark
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

I noticed a few of my caterpillars the other day were looking a little brown in patches, not green like they should, so I moved them from where they were, light spray of water and put them in a clean box, with new feeodplant, found it it was their droppings that they walked in or over that caused the problem, glad I knew what to do, could have infected them. They are all healthy now and are pupae.

I usually keep caterpillars in these plastic boxes (or like them): http://www.wwb.co.uk/shop/product_info. ... ts_id/5374 with bit of foodplant and a tissue on bottom to collect their droppings and light spray of water occationally and cleaning out and fresh foodplant, (good if you don't have many to look after) and it works fine, keeps them alive and well and free from major problems like airborne viral or fungal infections.

Anyway, I think I won't be seeing much butterflies around anymore, its raining and getting colder here, but I have seen one speckled wood the other day, wait its October, not september.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Dave wrote:
I noticed a few of my caterpillars the other day were looking a little brown in patches, not green like they should
Many caterpillars, especially moths, go brown just before pupation. It's the colour of the future pupa showing through the soon-to-be-shed final larval skin.

Caterpillars turning brown might indeed be an unhealthy sign in some cases but in others, it's perfectly normal.

Jack

Return to “Sightings”