Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: nfreem

Post by Neil Freeman »

Sunday 21st September

After a dull and dreary Saturday, Sunday was forecast to be much better and after a cold night the morning started off well with some good sun. By mid-morning it had started to warm up nicely with a least 3 different male Specklies dancing about and chasing each other around the garden.
Speckled Wood - Coverdale 21.09.2014
By late morning however, clouds had started to build up and by the time I had an hour or so free in the afternoon, it had become mostly overcast with just occasional short sunny spells. As I had not been out to any of my local spots since before my week in Dorset, I decided to nip around to Bickenhill to see what I could find.
The conditions were far from ideal with the clouds getting thicker and darker and a bit of a breeze that had a cool feel to it but nevertheless I saw half a dozen Speckled Woods, plus a couple of Commas and a single Green-veined White.
Comma - Bickenhill 21.09.2014
Comma - Bickenhill 21.09.2014
Green-veined white - Bickenhill 21.09.2014
In the end, a day that failed to live up to the promise of the forecast, a shame really as at this stage of the season, each time out could potentially be the last. Checking my notes from last year I see that I managed to get out on each of the last weekends in September and into early October so here's fingers crossed for the next few weeks.

Bye for now,

Neil.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Some lovely autumnal shots there Neil and I particularly like the GVW image - lovely :mrgreen:

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I agree with Pauline Neil - that Green-veined White is a cracker and great to see some of those Specklies in such good nick :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Pauline and Wurzel for your comments, very much appreciated as always :D

Friday 26.09.2014

Not a bad week weatherwise it seems, or at least the bits of it I have seen whilst at work seemed rather pleasant for late September. The opportunities to see anything in the garden are diminishing rapidly now with just a short window between getting home from work and the sun getting too low.
Nevertheless, most afternoons I have seen something, usually a few Specklies or one or two Red Admirals that have been attracted to the Ivy flowers.
Speckled Wood - Coverdale 22.09.2014
Red Admiral - Coverdale 24.09.2014
Red Admiral - Coverdale 24.09.2014
This week there has been a significant increase in leaves falling from the trees and it is feeling decidedly nippy in the morning on my way to work. Nightime temperatures earlier in the week were down to low single figures and the word 'frost' was mentioned a couple of times on the local weather forecasts. Since then, there has been more cloud about at night which has kept the temperature up a bit and today there was a warm feel to the slight breeze. The weekend is not looking too bad, warm and dry but possibly a lot of cloud about, fingers crossed.

Bye for now,

Neil.

millerd

Post by millerd »

As ever, lovely Speckled Woods, Neil. Up in your part of the world tomorrow, not sure where we'll end up.

Dave

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Dave, unfortunately Saturday was a dull, gloomy day up here, despite the forecast having it down as the better day, Sunday turned out to be much better....

Sunday 28th September.

After a dull grey Saturday (Sept. 27th) that totally failed to brighten up all day, Sunday started off much more promising with some nice sun that was warming things up nicely by mid-morning.
The Specklies in the garden were soon making the most of it with a male and two different females soaking up the morning sun,
Speckled Wood male - Coverdale 28.09.2014
Speckled Wood male - Coverdale 28.09.2014
Speckled Wood female - Coverdale 28.09.2014
Later in the afternoon it was still very pleasant with some nice sunny spells broken up by occasional fluffy white clouds, and with a couple of hours spare I decided to nip round to my local spot at Castle Hills to see if anything was about.
At first the only butterflies seen were a few Speckled Wood around the hedgerows plus a single Comma basking on some brambles,
Comma - Castle Hills Solihull 28.09.2014
Comma - Castle Hills Solihull 28.09.2014
I remembered that last year I had come here at around the same time and found good numbers of Small Tortoiseshells on a couple of large patches of Michaelmas Daisies, so I headed to the same spot and sure enough found three Small Tortoiseshells on the larger of the two patches. This patch is something like thirty feet across with the flowers in the centre being at least five feet tall which made getting photos a bit tricky as the butterflies kept settling down amongst the flower stems in the middle of the patch.
Small Tortoiseshell - Castle Hills Solihull 28.09.2014
After a while watching the Small Torts and taking a few photos when they came close enough, I wandered over to the other patch which was a short distance away and was pleased to find a couple of Small Coppers there, both males. One of these was a bit worn and faded but the other one looked to be in quite good condition.
Small Copper - Castle Hills Solihull 28.09.2014
Both of these were very active and were constantly chasing anything that came close to them, mostly various bees that were all over the daisies.

I then spotted another nice looking Small Copper, a female this time by her size and the shape of her wings and abdomen. She was flapping about in a far more relaxed manner amongst the flowers and settling for longer on the flowers to take nectar and posing nicely which gave me the opportunity to take a number of photos,
After watching her for a good fifteen minutes she few off over the daisy patch and was lost to view so I started wandering back and spotted another Small Copper on the way. This one, another male, was the most worn and tatty one that I had seen today but nevertheless he made it a total of four Small Coppers seen here this afternoon :D

Although there were not that many butterflies about in total, there were enough to have made for a very enjoyable couple of hours and I was particularly pleased to see the Small Coppers. This species seems to have had a better than average year around here with me seeing them at all of my local spots, much better than a couple of years ago (2012) when I only found a couple of examples at a couple of sites.

Bye for now,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Specklies and lush WPCs Neil :D :mrgreen: Catching up up after a hectic 3 weeks at work :roll: so it was great to revel in your shots :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots Neil, I like how the Copper shows up on the wings of your SC's making them shine, they're really well named Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Wurzel, it has been a bit hectic this week at work for me too, my department is on the move in a few weeks so lots of planning and preparation going on.

Thanks Goldie, I tried to capture the light reflecting off the Small Coppers wings in a couple of shots but the moments were so fleeting I didn't really do justice to how beautiful it looked in real life.

Friday 3rd October.

With the evenings rapidly drawing in there has been very little opportunity this week to see much in the garden after work. On Monday afternoon there were three Speckled Wood plus a Red Admiral hanging around but since then there has just been an occasional Specklie to greet me on getting in from work.
Red Admiral - Coverdale 29.09.2014
Red Admiral - Coverdale 29.09.2014
Speckled Wood - Coverdale 29.09.2014
Speckled Wood - Coverdale 29.09.2014
After a cloudy morning it started to brighten up when I finished work today at mid-day and by the time I went around for my usual Friday afternoon visit to my mom, it had turned into a very pleasant afternoon. A quick half hour walk around the park by her house produced a few Speckled Woods, all looking worn and faded now plus a couple of Whites and a single Red Admiral that all passed by without stopping.
Speckled Wood - Langley Hall 03.10.2014
With a band of rain forecast to cross the country tomorrow and cooler weather following in its wake, this quite possibly marks the end of the season around here. That is not to say that there will not be some hibernators still around if the weather picks up a bit, but realistically I think that is about it for this year.

Bye for now,

Neil.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Familiar-looking Speckled Woods, Neil - very much like those near me. Is it my imagination, but do the pale spots acquire an almost greenish ("mouldy") tinge when they get worn?

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

Nice to still see a few Specklies in October. With this weekend looking to be a washout, I doubt that there will be many who will see this species again prior to next April.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Dave, I know what you mean about faded Speckled Woods having that greenish yellow tinge about them sometimes, almost like a thin layer of moss growing on them.

Hi David, the weekend wasn't a total washout in the end around here. After waking up to heavy rain yesterday morning that lasted until around mid-day, it cleared up in the afternoon with some sunny spells but also with a stiff cold breeze. Today was dry but with a lot of cloud about which didn't really allow the weak sun to raise the temperature much so it remained a bit nippy all day.

Despite spending a good amount of time in the garden this afternoon, today was the first dry day since June that I have not seen a Speckled Wood there.

Cheers,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More lovely shots Neil :D - somehow I missed this post first time round :? I too know what Dave is referring to WRT the Specklies, they end up looking a bit like battered chocolate limes :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Wurzel, I love that description of the worn Specklies, like 'battered chocolate limes' :D

Nothing seen this past week, most of the time its has either been wet and cold or sunny with a cold wind. Time to start going through all the photos I have taken this year for the 'favourite photos' threads and maybe some looking back on my season.

Cheers,

Neil.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Saturday 15th November - Butterfly Conservation National AGM and Members Day.

Yesterday, I spent a very enjoyable day at the BC national AGM which this year was held at Stoneleigh Park in Warwickshire which is only a 30 minute drive from my house. As well as the official AGM stuff, the day was spent listening to some excellent and very interesting talks and presentations including;

Conserving the Wood White in Northamptonshire - Sharon Hearle, Regional Officer, Eastern England

Dukes on the Edge: the successful conservation of the Duke of Burgundy in South East England - Dr Dan Hoare, Senior Regional Officer, South East England

The restoration and creation of habitats to help Warwickshire’s rare butterflies - Mike Slater, Warwickshire Branch

Successes for butterflies and moths on Butterfly Conservation’s nature reserves - John Davis, Head of Reserves

Butterflies and Moths: the Third Dimension (3D film presentation) - Bob Pryce, Warwickshire Branch

During breaks between the talks and at lunchtime there was plenty of opportunity to mingle and chat and also browse the stalls that were stacked with loads of very tempting stuff. It really was difficult to resist the temptation to spend a fortune, particularly on some of the books that I noticed or on Richard Lewingtons stall with his wonderful paintings.

I was very pleased at last to meet Pete Eeles who was manning the UK Butterflies stand, along with Gary and Lisa, and also fellow UKB members Colin Knight and William during the course of the day :D .

Although I have attended a few Warwickshire BC AGMs, this was the first national one that I have been to and I must say what an enjoyable day it was, not only for the presentations, but also from just chatting to so many like-minded enthusiasts.

A great day :D

Bye for now.

Neil.

David M

Post by David M »

Agreed, Neil. They're great events.

I went to the one at Cheltenham Racecourse a couple of years ago and briefly met Pete and Gary. The whole thing was highly interesting from start to finish.

Sadly, my time right now is taken up with studying for an important work-related exam on December 4th, so I can't justify the indulgence but I'd love to have been there.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Looking back at 2014.

Well, it is about time that I started looking back on my 2014 season, I was going to start last week but a dose of Man-Flu left me feeling like I couldn’t be bothered to do anything, but now that I am feeling better I have been cheering myself up by going back through all my photos.

Right at the start of the year I had made my mind up that I was not going to stress myself out with trying to get as many species as possible but instead just try and make the most of my usual family breaks and maybe a couple of 3 night trips with my wife Jane to try for a couple of species that I had yet to see for the first time. I also wanted to spend more time around my local area and maybe check out some new spots.

The season started off really well for me, as it seemed to do everywhere, with loads of Peacocks, Small Tortoiseshells and Commas coming out of hibernation along with Brimstones, although I never do see as many of the latter as are around in other parts of the midlands and further south. These were followed by the emergence of Green-veined whites, Orange Tips and Speckled Woods, all of which were around locally in good numbers and with all these species regularly visiting my garden. On the other hand Holly Blues seemed to be a bit scarce compared to previous years with only a handful seen in the spring and even fewer later in the summer.
Peacock - Castle Hills Solihull 29.03.2014
Peacock - Castle Hills Solihull 29.03.2014
Small Tortoiseshell - Castle Hills Solihull 29.03.2014
Small Tortoiseshell - Castle Hills Solihull 29.03.2014
Comma - Castle Solihull 29.03.2014
Comma - Castle Solihull 29.03.2014
Orange Tip - Coverdale 28.04.2014
Orange Tip - Coverdale 28.04.2014
Through April and May I went a little further around Warwickshire to see Dingy and Grizzled Skippers, Green Hairstreaks and Small Blue and also went to the Wyre Forest to see Pearl-bordered Fritillaries.
Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Wyre Forest 05.05.2014
Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Wyre Forest 05.05.2014
My first trip away from the midlands this year was down to the Isle of Wight for 3 days at the end of May to try for my first ever Glanville Fritillaries. The weather was a bit ‘iffy’ but there was just enough sun and warmth for me to see not only my first Glanvilles , but also plenty of other butterflies including first brood Adonis Blues plus Dingy Skippers, Brown Argus, Green Hairstreaks, and Small Blues.
Glanville Fritillary - Wheelers Bay IOW 27.05.2014
Glanville Fritillary - Wheelers Bay IOW 27.05.2014
Adonis Blue - Bonchurch down IOW - 28.05.2014
Adonis Blue - Bonchurch down IOW - 28.05.2014
My other ‘firsts’ this year were both seen during a 3 day trip up to Arnside and Cumbria. With me having to book time off work in advance, I had done a bit of research into previous years flight times, and took a bit of a chance and booked our stay to try for Northern Brown Argus around Arnside and also hopefully try for Mountain Ringlet at Irton Fell. With a lucky combination of timing and weather, I managed to see both of my targets along with good numbers of Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries and also managed to see Large Heath at Meathop Moss before coming home.
Northern Brown Argus - Arnside 13.06.2014
Northern Brown Argus - Arnside 13.06.2014
Mountain Ringlet - Irton Fell 12.06.2014
Mountain Ringlet - Irton Fell 12.06.2014
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Arnside 11.06.2014
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Arnside 11.06.2014
With a couple of family breaks in Dorset, first a week in June and then again in September, my final tally for the year was 44 species. Highlights for me during these breaks included loads of Lulworth Skippers by Bowleaze Cove near Weymouth and Silver-studded Blues on Portland, both in June, Graylings at Durdle Door in September and Clouded Yellows during both stays.
Lulworth Skipper - Bowleaze Cove 29.06.2014
Lulworth Skipper - Bowleaze Cove 29.06.2014
Silver-studded Blue - Tout Quarry Portland 30.06.2014
Silver-studded Blue - Tout Quarry Portland 30.06.2014
As mentioned earlier, I had decided that I was not going to worry about missing some species and in fact I did indeed miss out on such notables as Purple Emperor, Duke of Burgundy and Wood White, all of which I could potentially see with an hour and a half drive from my house, but I simply chose to use my available time on other species this year. Oh well, plans for next year are already beginning to stir in the cobwebs of my mind.
With my three ‘firsts’ this year, I have now seen 56 mainland British species with just Chequered Skipper and Black Hairstreak left to see. Living in the midlands, there is really not much excuse for not seeing the latter yet other than I have usually been elsewhere in the country when they are the wing. I really must make the effort for this one next year.
Then to complete the list it will have to be a trip across the sea to the Emerald Isle at some point, and then there are all the various sub-species...and then I will be wanting better photos of everything... :wink:

Bye for now,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great look back and shots Neil :D Good luck next year with your quest and good news the man-flu has gone :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love the Photo's Neil, you took some great photo's :mrgreen: Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

Nice sequence there, Neil. Your photos always cheer me up.

Return to “Personal Diaries”