Maximus

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Maximus

Re: Maximus

Post by Maximus »

I saw that, Trevor, LTB’s not that far away. Given this summers weather I’m surprised we didn’t get a real influx! However I’d imagine there are other factors (apart from the weather) that influence their arrival (or not) to these shores?

It was worth a look, Wurzel, and it was a lovely afternoon walk, plus the Blues and Coppers

It wasn’t a bad haul for October, David, and it’s a lovely stretch of coast, LTB’s or not.

Thanks, Andrew, the unexpected is always a nice bonus.

Dordogne 20th July

Today we headed east to the Vallée de la Grande Beune, and an area of damp riverside meadows. We spent the morning exploring these, and in the afternoon visited the Chateau De Commarque, which has extensive water meadows, just beyond the ruins of the chateau. I understand that earlier in the year the Large Copper can be found here, but we were unfortunately too late for these. We found a few species, but overall it didn’t appear to be particularly butterfly rich, perhaps it would have been in May/June! However it was a nice day out in the French countryside.

Gatekeeper pair.
Gatekeeper pair.
SW Fritillary caught by crab spider.
SW Fritillary caught by crab spider.
Not a brilliant shot, but an unusually pale Dingy Skipper which flew just after this was taken.
Not a brilliant shot, but an unusually pale Dingy Skipper which flew just after this was taken.
Chateau De Commarque.
Chateau De Commarque.
Wall Lizard on Chateau woodwork.
Wall Lizard on Chateau woodwork.
Juvenile Black Redstart.
Juvenile Black Redstart.
Marsh with Chateau De Laussel behind.
Marsh with Chateau De Laussel behind.
Golden-ringed Dragonfly.
Golden-ringed Dragonfly.
Male Beautiful Demoiselle.
Male Beautiful Demoiselle.

We also saw Scarce Swallowtails, Meadow Browns, Small, Large and Green-veined Whites, Large Skippers and Speckled Woods.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A cracking sequence of shots Mike - that does look like prime Large Copper habitat - or at least how i imagine it should look having only ever seen one possibly two... :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A cracking sequence of shots Mike - that does look like prime Large Copper habitat - or at least how i imagine it should look having only ever seen one possibly two... :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Fairytale scenery, Mike. Looks like excellent butterfly habitat too.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Mike
Just catching up with your diary :D . I always love the vibrancy of colours and crispness in your shots, superb. I particularly like the Gatekeeper pair and those Commas from a few posts back. And those images from Kingsdown Leas brought back some pleasant memories :D

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Wurzel, it was Large Copper habitat, unfortunately we were too late to see them :(

Lovely scenery, David, and good habitat at the right time of year, I would imagine.

Hi Paul, and thanks, I have pleasant memories of Kingsdown too :D

Dordogne 21st July

Today was to be our last full day in the Dordogne, and so we wanted to make it count. This time we headed North, driving along a network of minor roads looking for suitable habitat. We pulled over several times at likely looking spots, but only found a few Common Blues. A bit further up the road however we spotted a disused field full of clover, thistles and some tall yellow flowers. We parked in a small track opposite the field, and, as we got out of the car, noticed a Budleia growing just down the track. Walking towards it we noticed a large white butterfly nectaring on the only flowering stem remaining, a Scarce Swallowtail. I managed to get one shot before it flew off and landed on some brambles nearby. Fortunately it stayed long enough for me to get closer and take some shots. It was in good condition, and as a nice bonus both tails were intact.

P1020485Resize.JPG
P1020489.jpgAResize.JPG
Scarce Swallowtail.
Scarce Swallowtail.

Crossing the road I saw a butterfly settle in the ditch bordering the field. As I got closer I could see that it was another first for us, a Mallow Skipper. I got several shots before it took flight and disappeared into the field.

P1020513Resize.JPG
Mallow Skipper.
Mallow Skipper.

While I was trying to relocate it I noticed a Clouded Yellow settle on a thistle to nectar. Looking around I could see that there were at least six, both male and female, nectaring on various flowers.

Berger's Clouded Yellow female.
Berger's Clouded Yellow female.
Berger's Clouded Yellow Male.
Berger's Clouded Yellow Male.

I wonder about this one, Berger's or possibly PCY, forewing shape might fit PCY (and paler yellow colour) and the backlit shot could fit PCY. It's apparently almost impossible to tell them apart, and they both fly in the Dordogne. Most probably, it's Berger's :)

P1020529Resize.JPG
P1020521Resize.JPG

There was a raised area in one corner of the field which appeared not to have been ploughed. Here there was plenty of wild Marjoram in flower, so it was no surprise to find several Large Blues, including a female ovipositing.

Large Blue female.
Large Blue female.
Large Blue female.
Large Blue female.

The real surprise, however, was to find a female Duke of Burgundy nectaring on the Marjoram, and also several males nearby, one of them looking very new.

Duke of Burgundy female.
Duke of Burgundy female.
Duke of Burgundy male.
Duke of Burgundy male.
Duke of Burgundy male.
Duke of Burgundy male.
Duke of Burgundy, dark male.
Duke of Burgundy, dark male.

Last day tbc…

trevor

Post by trevor »

I've been following your trip to the Dordogne with interest, and I have to say
that you have saved the best till last. What a beauty that Scarce Swallowtail is,
and the heavily marked Clouded Yellows are impressive.

Lovely images,
Trevor.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

That looks like a glorious first part of the day, Dukes, Large Blues, Clouded Yellows and Swallowtails all flying together and some fantastic images to illustrate it :mrgreen:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic stuff Mike :D I got there too late for the Large Blues and Dukes :mrgreen: I was also chuffed with my Scarce Swallowtail shots - until I saw yours :mrgreen: :mrgreen: absolutely pristine :mrgreen: And you saw a Mallow Skipper :shock: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Trevor, the best day just happened to be on our last day in the Dordogne. Scarce Swallowtaiis were scarce and we only saw a handful. Clouded Yellows were common but were real blighters to get shots of, as they didn’t spend long nectaring on each flowerhead.

Thanks ,bugboy, that’s the great thing about France, we found that you get a real mix of species flying together, wherever there’s suitable habitat. We just drove randomly through the countryside looking for any interesting looking habitat. Since returning I’ve done a bit of research and have found that there are ‘listed’ sites in the Dordogne, which appear to have a greater concentration of species, in greater numbers, including some we didn’t see! That’s one for next time.

Thanks, Wurzel, it’s a pity you missed the Large Blues and Dukes. I was lucky with the Swallowtail and that was the only Mallow Skipper that we saw. I know the ordinary countryside has plenty of butterflies, but I think that had we visited some recognised sites, we would have seen more – Mallow Skippers for instance. But I didn’t know where the sites were until after our return.

...Last day continued.

After a spending an enjoyable couple of hours at the first site, we headed off, driving for a couple of miles along the lanes without finding very much, until we arrived at this likely looking spot.

P1020653Resize.JPG
It was just a small scruffy corner of a large field containing horses, with another grassy area on the other side of a small lane. During our stay in the Dordogne we had only found Dryads in one location, but we soon found that this area contained a few. We only saw females but they appeared very fresh!

Dryad female.
Dryad female.
Dryad female.
Dryad female.
Dryad female.
Dryad female.

We spent two hours exploring this site, which also revealed the following species.

Sooty Copper female.
Sooty Copper female.
Common Blue female.
Common Blue female.

We only saw two Hairstreaks during our time in France, a Green Hairstreak in the Pyrenees, and this Purple Hairstreak in the Dordogne.

Purple Hairstreak.
Purple Hairstreak.

This was the only Mazarine Blue we saw in the Dordogne.

Mazarine Blue.
Mazarine Blue.

This site was also host to a colony of Large Blue, which appears to be a common species in the Dordogne.

Large Blue female.
Large Blue female.
Large Blue female on wild Marjoram.
Large Blue female on wild Marjoram.
Large Blue female.
Large Blue female.
Large Blue female, with bold markings.

There were also plenty of Clouded Yellows, Meadow Browns and Gatekeepers here too.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots of the Dryads Mike, especially the open winged one :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Also that Large Blue ab is a right stunner :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

That does indeed look like a prime spot, Mike, and I'm not surprised you saw quite a range of species.

Well done with the Dryad, a species I have yet to see given that its emergence is generally after I have returned to Blighty following my two weeks in the Alps.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Wurzel, that was the only chance of an upper wing shot of a Dryad :o The Large Blue really stood out :D

Thanks, David. Dryads do appear to emerge quite late in the season.

After leaving the Dordogne on 22nd of July we headed to Le Dorat, where we stayed with friends for a few days. As the temperatures were in the mid-thirties we just ‘chilled out’ by the pool 8)
While we were there they showed us some bats which were using their barn as a roost. There were at least a dozen present, which I think are Greater Horse-Shoe bats. I took one quick shot as I didn’t want to disturb them, as they are a protected species in France, just as they are here in the UK.

P1020680.jpgAResize.JPG
Cropped
Cropped

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great shots of the Bat's Max, they even look cute :D Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brill Bat shots Mike :D :mrgreen: If I recall correctly bats have up to four different residences over the course of a year so this must be their summer retreat/holiday home :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Yes that's correct, Wurzel :) that was their summer residence :D

Thanks, Goldie, they are cute :D

The Brenne 26th July

On the 25th now well rested, we said our goodbyes and headed north to the Brenne, where we had decided to stop off for one night.
With the high set to be 35 degrees the following day, we knew that our only chance of finding and photographing any butterflies, was to get out early the following morning.
We set out reasonable early the following day, and, not being familiar with the Brenne headed for the Maison du Park, as we had been informed there were walking trails around this area. We parked the car and headed off along a woodland track and it wasn’t long before we arrived at the promising looking area shown in the following photo.

The overgrown field on the woodland edge - mid dist. R/H side.
The overgrown field on the woodland edge - mid dist. R/H side.

We spent an enjoyable hour in this location, which we discovered contained a nice variety of different species.

Sooty Copper female.
Sooty Copper female.
Sooty Copper male.
Sooty Copper male.
Small Copper.
Small Copper.
Spotted Fritillary female.
Spotted Fritillary female.
This Brown Argus didn't open it's wings, unfortunately!
This Brown Argus didn't open it's wings, unfortunately!
Emerald Damselfly, not sure which.
Emerald Damselfly, not sure which.
Southern White Admiral, imbibing on blackberry.
Southern White Admiral, imbibing on blackberry.
Dingy Skipper.
Dingy Skipper.
Darter, Common/Vagrant? Not sure.
Darter, Common/Vagrant? Not sure.
Worn Short-tailed Blue.
Worn Short-tailed Blue.
Common Blue male.
Common Blue male.

tbc...

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

great shots Max, looking forward to the next instalment :). I'm far from an expert on the continental Odonata but the damselfly looks good for a male Southern Emerald, Lestes barbarus. I can't help with the Darter though... :?

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A lovely selection indeed Mike :D :mrgreen: Love the shot of the SWA on the Blackberry :D :mrgreen: Looking forward to the next installment as well :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Fabulous, Mike. That does indeed look a promising spot for butterflies. The female Sooty Copper is particularly lovely.

Old Wolf

Post by Old Wolf »

Hello Maximus,
What a beautiful place you visited and what a great haul of Butterflies you have snapped.

I particularly like the roosting bats. That is something you don't see every day :D

Old Wolf.

Return to “Personal Diaries”