Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

You right Mike, if you don't go looking you don't find :D

Last night was -4 here but the morning was Sunny for once. We decided to have a drive to Whalley, Spring Wood is fantastic in Spring full of Blue Bells and Garlic flowers but this year the BB hadn't opened and they seemed to be smaller, the Garlic flowers were only just peeping through, so all in all it was a disappointment. I thought maybe there was a chance of Orange Tips (the woods are noted for them) but if they arrive in the next week there I'll be surprised, it was so cold.

We made our way back and we called at HLB again, after seeing some snow still on the highest hills has we drove, Westhoughton is a top coat warmer and more to the South so with the Sun shining a lot of the time now I wasn't surprised when going through the gate this Butterfly flew passed us, I followed it and waited until it landed, to my delight it was a Peacock, the first of the year at HLB for me :D After that I saw the Comma again way out of reach but where I'd seen it before and in the field was a Small Tortoiseshell, so it looks like things are taking off at last at HLB. :D Roll the OT's Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_7216.jpg
IMG_7215.jpg
IMG_7224.jpg
IMG_7206.jpg
IMG_7205.jpg

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The weather has certainly been causing hit and miss days down here too Goldie - and unfortunately every good day is usually mid week :( Mind you I haven't seen any Cuckoo Flower yet so hopefully there will be plenty of OTs still to come - good luck up there with them!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, I was at Hall-Lee-Brook today and the meadow where the cuckoo flowers grow was being mowed I give up on Hall-Lee-Brook, I don't think the council could organise a tea party if it was all set out for them. :evil:

I finally saw a White Butterfly today, I managed a distant photo, not sure if it's a Small White or GVW, I thought from a distance it could be a SW. I also saw a Holly Blue and a Speckled Wood both were too active for photo but I'm so pleased to have seen them I'd just about given up, also saw Comma's Peacock's and STS :D
I don't know if the Orange Tips will come back now the field as been mowed. (hope so). :(

Hall-Lee-Brook has some nice birds, this one caught my attention because it looked different, when I got home and checked my computer I saw it had an insect of some kind in it's mouth, I'd like to know what the bird is if any one knows, also the insect please, the insect looks like an Ant but seems too big Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_7265.jpg
IMG_7247.jpg
IMG_7246.jpg
IMG_7244.jpg

maverick

Post by maverick »

I will give a stab at a chiff chaff

David M

Post by David M »

I'd say your Pierid was a female Small White, Goldie.

From the look of things, the bird in your images has a bee/wasp in its beak.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I'd agree with Chiffchaff. The legs look dark, although there's a crossover the Willow Warbler usually has flesh coloured legs. Also agree your White is a Small White.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks very much for the ID's David, Bugboy and Maverick, I was hoping Small White, so that's another first of this season :D
I was hoping the bird was one I'd not seen before, Chiffchaff, that's another first. :D
I hope the bird had a wasp David can't stand them. Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Today the weather was fantastic, we went to Hall-Lee-Brook early but I think it was too early, (a bit too cold)
The only Butterfly we saw was a Comma sitting on and taking minerals from, ( you know what :lol: )

We decided to go again to Southport and call once again at Mere Sands and I'm glad we did, I saw my first GVW of the year :D slowly but surely I'm getting there :D that's six species now :D

Brimstone's, Peacocks, were also there and so were Speckies, but they' were too active for photos, next time I'll get them. Goldie :D
Attachments
Green Veined White
Green Veined White
Brimstone
Brimstone
Comma
Comma

David M

Post by David M »

Persistence pays off, Goldie. If it's any comfort, 100 miles further south here in the Swansea area things are developing just as slowly, and with northerly winds forecast for the next few days, I don't expect that to change very much.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Six species is all I'm on as well Goldie the weather is just as unconducive for butterflies down here too :( Still it can only get better... :( oh no its the weekend so it will get worse :roll: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

After moaning and groaning ,David and Wurzel, over the last few days I was surprised when the weather was great again yesterday, cold wind at first and frost,by 2.0pm though the weather was much warmer so I set off again for HLB :D

At first glance I thought" Oh No! not again, I was there about 30mins before I saw a Small Tort, then this big White BF flew down in front of me, Large White, couldn't believe it :D I decided to walk down by the ponds because they're more sheltered and to my delight there on the Blue bells was my first Orange Tip :D
I couldn't get near it because of the pond but I was determined to get a shot no matter what :D

I've done my best with the shots on my computer trying to bring the Butterfly nearer but it's not like being up close like I was with the LW and the next BF I saw the Small White but I'll still claim it has my first :D

It proved to be a good day and hope fully much more to come it's another nice day todayGoldie :D

I've been over to Hall-Lee-Brook this lunch time and it was bitter cold only saw one Tort and a couple of Comma's, it wouldn't surprise me if it Snowed tonight. Goldie :(
Attachments
IMG_7353.jpg
IMG_7342.jpg
IMG_7335.jpg
IMG_7326.jpg
IMG_7360.jpg

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Last week when I visited Hall-Lee-Brook, I was amazed to see the meadow grass being cut so soon, especially in a Nature Reserve, I was hoping they'd let the grass grow for a while because the May flower/Cuckoo flower grows there together with the Buttercups and other wild flowers and was a great place to take shots of the Orange Tips.
Up to now I've sighted only a-few species there
( one Orange Tip)
I can count the Peacock's on one hand
Two Small Whites.
One large White
very few Tortoiseshells and the Green Veined White and Brimstone's are non existent up to now. I'd to go to Mere Sands for shots of those .
Last Autumn they cut the grass and the Meadow Brown was there at it's best, which I mentioned at the time.
I can't understand the Why at all, but I'm sure this as added to the departure of the GVW and SW, also the OT, it will be interesting to
see what this Summer will bring. :( Goldie :(
Attachments
IMG_7267.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

No excuse for this kind of carnage, Goldie. They do it in various places near me and it makes my blood boil.

This obsession with 'tidiness' is partly responsible for the decline in many insect species, especially in and around towns.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I totally agree with you David, I rang Butterfly Conservation last year but got no where, I even rang the council, to no avail . Can't under stand Butterfly Conservation they're always telling you about the decline of BF, any way we'll see what this Summer brings. Goldie :?

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I saw a similar thing on the way home the other day - there was a small back resplendent in Primrose, Blubells etc and there was the Weedeater edging ever closer - why? :roll: :x
That being said I think you're doing better on the butterfly front up there than I am down here - still only 6 species seen and no end in sight of this dismal weather :( Roll on mid May it has to be better by then surely?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

It's been trying to snow on and off all day here, nothing substantial just the odd shower but the Sun shone brightly in between the showers and the wind wasn't has bad as yesterday so it was an excuse to go out.
I hadn't been out since Saturday to HLB and then I'd just seen one Small Tortoiseshell and that's whatl I saw today one ST'. :(
I was also caught in one of the brief showers and had to shelter under the tree's, finally going back to the car until the shower passed it was after this when the Sun came out I was able to take a quick shot of the Small Tort, who, like me was taking it's chances in the freezing weather :D
I hope the weather is better where you are Wurzel and you get more Butterflies and see less damage to their habitats. Goldie :)
Attachments
Small Tortoiseshell 27th April
Small Tortoiseshell 27th April
Small Tortoiseshell 23rd April
Small Tortoiseshell 23rd April

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

In my last posting I thought it was cold but I wasn't quite prepared for this mornings surprise :o
The snow is melting now and the tulips are looking better , I'm thinking the Butterflies knew what was coming and kept a low profile :D ( I hope so any way ) Goldie :)
Attachments
Back Garden
Back Garden
Front Garden
Front Garden
Back Garden
Back Garden

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie,

We had some more snow here in the midlands this week too...along with hail, sleet, thunder and rain all at various times accompanied by a cold northerly wind. With some sunny spells thrown in on most days it has often felt like all four seasons in a day :shock:

Cheers,

Neil.

David M

Post by David M »

Just crazy to see tulips set against a background of snow.

When are we going to receive some recompense for this prolonged spell of cold weather? :(

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The weather has gone mad! Mind you wasn't equally weird in 1976? Definitely an unusual sight as David says.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”