Maximus

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: Maximus

Post by millerd »

That blue-badge extensa Copper is a striking butterfly, Mike. You've almost out-Hoggers Hoggers on his own patch there! :) Lovely shots.

Cheers,

Dave

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Love the Swallowtails Mike, and I think your Hawk-moth shots are more than acceptable! :D

Also like the Coppers, especially the ab. I've yet to make it to Dungeness, one for next year. :D

Cheers

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

What a cracking aberrant Mike :D :mrgreen: Good to see you managed to fit in a trip on on a family getaway :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

That’s a very striking phlaeas aberration, Mike. Beautiful specimen.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Dave, it was a great find but it disappeared just as quickly.

Thanks, Andrew, definitely one for next year for you.

Thanks, Wurzel, we managed to sneak in another one too.

It was very striking, David, and was a joy to see.

When we were in Kent recently, one morning I found these female Commas in the garden where we were staying, they looked to be freshly emerged. They were really stunning.

Enjoying the fallen fruit.
Enjoying the fallen fruit.
P1030379Resize.JPG
This one had lost a 'tail'.
This one had lost a 'tail'.
P1030386Resize.JPG
P1030440Resize.JPG
P1030448Resize.JPG
P1030447Resize.JPG

There were also several Speckled Woods enjoying the sunshine, and landing in some unusual spots.

P1030503Resize.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely autumnal Commas Mike :D Like me them seem to enjoy a drop of Cider :wink:Perhaps the Specklies had been partaking too which was why they were turning up in the unusual places? :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Lovely Commas, Mike. I can't remember the last time I saw one - very possibly back in August. I don't know where they've all gone round here. :?

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

What a lovely surprise to find :). They do all look rather fresh. I saw a few rather late hutchinsoni this year so maybe you had a female down there laying eggs in August?

Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

As others have remarked, lovely Commas.
I particularly like the one on the apple.
I have only recently started seeing them again, since the hot Summer.

All the best,
Trevor.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Trevor, these were the first Commas I've seen for at least a couple of months!

It was a nice surprise BB :) and they were very fresh. I think you could be right about the eggs being laid in August.

From my point of view also, Commas have been a bit 'thin on the ground' for a while now, David.

Thanks Wurzel, I'm partial to a cool-un myself after a hot day's butterflying :) I think you're right about the specklies :lol:

I took this shot of a Small White in our garden on 13th Oct. By it's manner and appearance it was probably freshly emerged, still displaying that creamy, almost lemon shade, which seems to fade within a day or so.

P1020831Resize.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

Your Small White is certainly brand new, Mike.
To see fresh Butterflies at this stage is remarkable.
The retail trade is pushing Christmas like mad, and I'm seeing fresh Common Blues,
and fresh Clouded Yellows !. Something doesn't fit somewhere.

Trying to stay sane,
Trevor.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I had a freshly emerged Small White today :shock:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

That's a nice Small White. :) Having seen one on Tuesday at home, I saw another down at Shoreham today - there is definitely a new round of emergences, Mike. I suspect some of the chrysalids that normally hibernate have been prompted by the warm sunny spells to emerge instead. Maybe the short bursts of cold and wet have fooled them in some way. :wink:

Cheers,

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a mint Small White Mike :D They lose that lovely lemony lustre very quickly :( so to catch one that fresh is a great find, doubly so at this time in the season :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

That Small White is as fresh as fresh gets, Mike. It's quite remarkable that this is still happening in late October. I've never known a year like it.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Your comment brought a smile to my face, Trevor :) and what you say is true!

Amazing that you saw one too BB, the good weather seems to have extended the season :o

Thanks, Dave, I think you're right about the decent weather prompting new emergences, when they would normally stay put until next spring. Amazing that you've seen a couple too :o

That's the first butterfly we've seen in our garden for some time, Wurzel :( lucky we spotted it :)

It is remarkable, David, I also don't remember a year quite like this one.

During our recent family break in Kent we took the opportunity to visit Kingsdown for a walk along the clifftop. Although there have been no LTB'S sighted this year(as far as I am aware)we weren't the only ones looking! Although we drew a blank LTB wise we did encounter a few other species during our walk on a lovely sunny October afternoon.

Clifftop footpath with a cross channel ferry heading for Dover.
Clifftop footpath with a cross channel ferry heading for Dover.
Brown Argus - not as fresh as some recently posted, but nice to see.
Brown Argus - not as fresh as some recently posted, but nice to see.
Common Blue.
Common Blue.
Fresher Common Blue.
Fresher Common Blue.
Small Copper.
Small Copper.
Small Copper - nectaring on Hawkbit - I think.
Small Copper - nectaring on Hawkbit - I think.
View from The Leas, looking north, with Deal Pier in the centre distance.
View from The Leas, looking north, with Deal Pier in the centre distance.

Other species seen were, Wall Brown, Male Brimstone and a very fresh looking Green-veined White. These proved far too lively to photograph, but this wasn't through a lack of trying! (Seeing todays post regarding the LTB seen near Bexley yesterday, perhaps we weren't so daft having a look)!

While we were there we observed large numbers of House Martins(and a few Swallows) hawking for insects in the early October sun. They were most probably preparing for their migration south, I understand that it's still not known exactly where in Africa they spend the winter!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Long Tailed Blues may have been nearer than you thought, Mike.
A fresh one was spotted by the Thames, near Erith, yesterday, alright wrong
location, but right County !. And another in Ipswich last week.

I there's more chance of winning the lottery than finding one though !.
Trevor.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sorry you didn't get the LTB - mind you the Blues and Coppers surely made up for it, I'm down to Specklies and Red Admirals now :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Those are nice views, Mike, and I’m glad you saw a few late species during your visit. Brown Argus, Wall, Brimstone & Green Veined White is quite a haul for late October….even if you missed out on the Long-Tailed Blues.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Love the Commas Mike, those unexpected finds are great. :D

Cheers

Return to “Personal Diaries”