Maximus

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Maximus

Re: Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Wurzel, I didn’t mean to make you feel holiday-sick :shock: – I think I’m making myself feel that way too, with these posts :shock: :D
I’d imagine that the Large blues were over before your mid-August holiday. We were there a month before you and most Large Blues were starting to look a bit worn then. I’m surprised you didn’t see a Berger’s though :o

Sorry, David, I don’t mean to tease you :) and sorry about the Dryad :wink: France is a glorious country and you’re so lucky to get there as often as you do.

Thank’s, Ernie, it would be nice to know the identity of that critter.

On the way back to Lalinde we couldn’t help stopping at a promising looking small field next to the road. We spent a happy hour there in the company of these beauties. Four lifers in one day, when you include the Dryad and Woodland Grayling :o :)

Sooty Copper male.
Sooty Copper male.
Sooty Copper male.
Sooty Copper male.
Sooty Copper male.
Sooty Copper male.
Sooty Copper male.
Sooty Copper male.
Sooty Copper female.
Sooty Copper female.

There were quite a few Sooty Coppers, but we only found one of these.

Provencal Short-tailed Blue.
Provencal Short-tailed Blue.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Lovely Copper Max, particularly that female :mrgreen:. I need to start thinking about branching out to the continent!

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Sooty Coppers Mike, pristine - I don't think that I saw any in that good a condition :mrgreen: :D I might have seen a Bergers but out it down as a Cloudy as it was a male so I'll have to check it out :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Lovely SSB's from Dawneys Mike. And more great stuff from France, particularly like your Sooty Coppers. :mrgreen: :D

David M

Post by David M »

Sooty Coppers pose better than almost any other butterfly, so for you to get such great underside shots is more than creditable, Mike. Fabulous, gleaming specimen.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, bugboy, perhaps you should check it out :)

Thanks, Wurzel, I’m surprised by that, but you were there later than us. Having to check ID’s makes for more fun – and frustration :wink:

Thanks, Andrew, on all counts :D

I agree with you, David, Sooty Coppers are very well behaved indeed :)

Dordogne 19th July

Today we headed south across the Dordogne river bridge at Lalinde. Once on the other side we turned off the D660 onto the first small lane we came to which headed south, and continued along this lane until we found a likely looking spot to pull over. We arrived at a small pull-in where the road verges were full of wild flowers, which we soon discovered were host to some lovely butterflies.

Roadside verges.
Roadside verges.
P1020310.jpgAResize.JPG
Scarce Swallowtail with just a small piece of tail missing!
Scarce Swallowtail with just a small piece of tail missing!
Painted Lady.
Painted Lady.

There were also Sooty Coppers, Meadow Browns, Gatekeepers, Large Skippers and Large and Small Whites. We spent an enjoyable couple of hours exploring the verges.

One thing that was wonderful to hear so often in France was the ‘purring’ of Turtle Doves. I’m not sure if France sanctions the hunting of them or if there’s a ban in place, but we heard them at most of the field/woodland sites that we visited in the Dordogne, and also in other parts of lowland France we visited.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Butterflies Mike :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I wonder if we keep on having Summers like this one that maybe we could see more Butterflies from France settle here , I've not heard of any one seeing a Long-tailed Blue here this Summer which surprises me, may be I've not been reading all the posts when I should :) Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots Mike :D The roadside verges in France are amazing, if only they were left to their own devices in this country just think of the plethora of butterflies they could support :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

That all sounds positively idyllic, Mike....a sunny day in France, Turtle Doves, wild flowers and butterflies. :mrgreen:

It's amazing the number of species often to be seen in just a small strip of flowers like that. It's a bit like the lavender people have in their gardens; there can regularly be 6 or 7 different different types of butterfly nectaring at the same time.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Goldie :D I’m surprised that there’s been no Long-tailed blue influx this year too :o

Thanks, Wurzel, yes the road verges are amazing for butterflies in France, you never know what you may find :)

It was idyllic, David :)

Dordogne 19th July cont...

Our next stop, a bit further along the lane, was by a bridge over a small stream. The first thing we saw as we got out of the car was a Kingfisher, with it’s distinctive shrill whistle as it flew under the arch of the bridge and off downstream.
There were a few Gatekeepers, including a mating pair in the area beside the stream, and plenty of Demoiselles, which I think were Beautiful Demoiselles.

Female.
Female.
Male.
Male.

We then found a small path which led up through some scrub and onto a small elevated meadow where there was lots of wild Marjoram growing. As I stood there looking across the meadow a blue/grey butterfly flew past me and landed on some Marjoram nearby, a Large Blue. A search of the meadow revealed a dozen Large Blues, all females engaged in egg laying.

The small meadow.
The small meadow.
P1300461Resize.JPG
P1020348Resize.JPG
P1300465Resize.JPG

We moved on and stopped near an old church (which we later found out was twelfth century), where there were some tables and benches set in some much needed shade. Along the edge of the seating area were some buddleia bushes, one of which was of the white variety. These had attracted many insects including quite a few Broad-bordered Bee and Hummingbird Hawk-moths. These proved to be the usual challenge to get decent shots of, I managed a couple but the limitations of my Lumix is very apparent.

P1020441Resize.JPG
P1020403.jpgAResize.JPG
P1020401BResize.JPG
Broad-bordered Bee Hawk-moth.
Broad-bordered Bee Hawk-moth.
Hummingbird Hawk-moth.
Hummingbird Hawk-moth.

There were also Painted ladies, Small Whites, Gatekeepers, Meadow Browns, several Scarce Swallowtails and a Silver-washed Fritillary on the buddleia.

Silver-washed Fritillary female.
Silver-washed Fritillary female.
Scarce Swallowtail.
Scarce Swallowtail.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Mill Hill 27th Sept.

We decided on a trip to Mill Hill (Sussex) as it’s a site that we’ve never visited. We also couldn’t resist the possibility of seeing some of the lovely Vanessids that have been reported from there recently.
Once there It didn’t take us long to find a certain patch of Hemp Agrimony which was in full flower, replete with it’s attendant stunners.

P1030216Resize.JPG
P1310261Resize.JPG
P1310263Resize.JPG
Red Admiral ab.bialbata.
Red Admiral ab.bialbata.
P1020695Resize.JPG
P1020696Resize.JPG
P1310277Resize.JPG
P1030255Resize.JPG
P1020700Resize.JPG
P1030276Resize.JPG

After filling our boots we headed off down the path to the bottom of the hill. Here there were some Clouded Yellows, never stopping, along with Wall Browns doing likewise, it was great to see them, no chance of any shots though. There were also some Common Blue males and females and they too were very active in the hot sun. The climb back up to the car park via the giant steps was better than any gym workout.

We headed off very satisfied with what we had seen here, and, as it was still quite early, decided to stop off at Cissbury, as it was on our route home.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Your pictures of the bee and hummingbird hawk moths on the buddleija are quite acceptable, Dave. Looks like you had a good time down there. And I’m pleased you heard some turtle doves, none for me this year :(

And it looks like you and everyone else has been enjoying that patch of hemp agrimony at Mill Hill, I might be tempted to join you all...

millerd

Post by millerd »

Mill Hill was obviously well worth the trip for you as well, Mike! Great shots of those Nymphalids, some of which look a bit familiar... :) That hemp agrimony patch has plenty of days left as a nectar source too.

Cheers,

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

I could tell instantly, without reading your text, that you had been to Mill Hill, Mike.
The much photographed Hemp Agrimony looks as though it was host to the same Butterflies too.
A fantastic spectacle to end the season with.

Great shots,
Trevor.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic shots both from this post and the last Mike :D The Painted Lady looks fabulous and also quite dusky/dark :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Mark, sadly, I believe that the Turtle Dove population has really crashed over the last few years.
You should get along to Mill Hill, it’s a real treat to see those butterflies.

It was well worth the trip down there, Dave, and yes, some of those butterflies must be like old friends to you :)

It must have been a real giveaway, Trevor, and I agree with you, what a fantastic sight to finish the season with :)

Thanks, Wurzel, those Painted Ladies were stunning, my photos just don’t do them justice.

It didn’t take long to reach Cissbury, which is only ten miles from Mill Hill. There were plenty of Joggers, dog walkers and cyclists already there. We climbed up the path onto the hillfort and set off around the perimeter ditch in a clockwise direction. We soon found some Small Coppers, with one female being particularly striking.

P1020736Resize.JPG

We did a complete circuit of the fort, which, given it’s size took a while. Most of the butterflies appeared to be around the southern side, which was more sheltered and contained some Ragwort, which the Coppers and some Common Blues were nectaring on. There were also good numbers of Wall Browns and a handful of Clouded Yellows.

P1020752Resize.JPG
P1020754Resize.JPG
P1020766Resize.JPG
P1310406Resize.JPG

It was not easy to get these shots of the Male Wall and was the only opportunity of the day.

P1310363Resize.JPG
P1310366Resize.JPG

This also was the only chance of a shot of a male Clouded Yellow, which took flight just after the photo was taken.

P1310421Resize.JPG

Numbers wise we counted about 30 Small Coppers, 12 Walls and three Clouded Yellows. The Walls and Clouded Yellows were very difficult to get shots of as they rarely stopped, and when they did it was not for long. Many of the Small Coppers appeared quite worn, but there were a few fresher individuals. We only walked the perimeter, not venturing onto the hillfort itself, due mainly to it’s massive size and the limited time available to us. Therefore our numbers only account for the perimeter

millerd

Post by millerd »

Some great shots there, Mike, particularly of the Coppers. Walls and Clouded Yellows are both really tricky to approach, especially in sunshine - quite annoying really since that's what we all want to see more closely! :)

Cheers,

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More fantastic shots Mike :shock: 8) :mrgreen: That first Small Copper as you said is very striking, almost hit you in the face with a wet Herring striking :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Maximus wrote:...Numbers wise we counted about 30 Small Coppers, 12 Walls and three Clouded Yellows...
That's beyond impressive, Mike. I don't think I've seen 12 Wall browns all year in the UK, and I'm afraid Clouded Yellows have been absent this autumn from south Wales. I'll definitely give things another go before the cold weather sets in but in the meantime it's nice to know others are seeing them elsewhere.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Dave, yes they're tricky when it's warm and bright and probably only slow down when we are on our way home :wink:

Thanks, Wurzel, as you say, as striking as 'The Fish Slapping Dance' :lol:

Sadly, I don't think Hampshire has any Wall Browns now, David, so we have to take a drive to Sussex!

Kent - October 18.

We have just returned from a week long family break in Kent. Although it was a family break, we still managed to fit in a trip to Dungeness on Thursday afternoon (4th Oct.). During our visit it was mainly overcast but we still managed to find a dozen 3rd Brood Small Coppers, displaying varying degrees of wear, ranging from very ragged to not too bad.

P1020782Resize.JPG
P1310450Resize.JPG
P1310518Resize.JPG

Dungeness is one of those places where Small Copper abs. turn up reasonably frequently, and it was very pleasing to find this female nectaring on some Ragwort. I think she’s ab. extensa + caeruleopunctata.

P1310482.jpgAResize.JPG
P1310487.jpgCResize.JPG
P1310490.jpgD.JPG

I’ve just seen that Hoggers photographed an ab. extensa at Dungeness on Sunday 7th October.

There were several Common Blues in reasonable condition.

P1020776.jpgAResize.JPG
P1020785Resize.JPG

We saw a total of 12 Small Coppers, 2 Common Blues, 3 Red Admirals, 6 Small Heaths and a Hummingbird hawk-moth.

Just as we were leaving, a steam locomotive of the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch railway was pulling out of Dungeness station, on it’s half hour journey across Romney Marsh to Hythe.

P1310570Resize.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”