Hoggers

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hoggers

Post by Padfield »

Definitely a brown argus, Hoggers. In the field you will have noticed her looking smaller and more silvery in flight than a common blue female. The general appearance of the upperside is distinctive but those fringes, with dark bands extending right to the outer edge in the forewing, are conclusive.

Guy

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Thanks Guy, much appreciated

Best wishes

Hoggers

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

No complaints about the weather today: it was warm, bright and sunny at Dungeness
IMG_7723.JPG
And it is still a case of "All Things Bright and Coppery"
IMG_7733.JPG
IMG_7752.JPG
My patent Copper-O-Meter detected 29 of the little darlings today
IMG_7718.JPG
So there's still life in the first brood
IMG_7733.JPG
IMG_7747.JPG
IMG_7748.JPG
IMG_7749.JPG
I can't get over the number of Blue Badge Holders I've come across this Spring
IMG_7705.JPG
It seems like practically every Copper either has a full set of blue badges
IMG_7712.JPG
Or at least some sign of them

Up until this year I'd always thought that the BBC's ( Blue Badge Coppers ) made their strongest showing in the third brood.

At this stage of the brood it's the females that are in the best condition. As for the males, they are mostly tired and worn out by work ( as in the Coppery World so in our own .. )
IMG_7734.JPG
IMG_7742.JPG

This was the best looking male that I found today
IMG_7769.JPG
There's definitely a feeling of the changing of the guard: as numbers of Common Blue and Small Heath increase so the Small Coppers dwindle.. for now at any rate: the Coppers will be back in force soon!
IMG_7757.JPG
I found this mating pair of Heaths
IMG_7776.JPG
Now and again I will find a Copper with a pale right wing. Here's one, a female, that I chanced upon today
IMG_7737.JPG
I've yet to find one with just a pale left wing!

My favourite Copper of the Day was this gorgeous female
IMG_7782.JPG

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Today I had the opportunity to do a Copper Watch at Dungeness

Most males are battle scarred
IMG_7834.JPG
But some are still in fine condition
IMG_7832.JPG
IMG_7842.JPG
IMG_7844.JPG
IMG_7848.JPG
I sat down beside this male
IMG_7858.JPG
And watched him. It wasn't long before he began performing the mysterious Stalk Dance
IMG_7851.JPG
IMG_7852.JPG
IMG_7853.JPG
IMG_7854.JPG
IMG_7856.JPG
When a male Copper behaves this way he will quickly tap his feet over the plant surface

Here's a photo that will I hope give an idea of this tap dancing routine
IMG_7867.JPG
I left him to it and walked on. I saw good numbers of Small Heath
IMG_7871.JPG
Then I found another male Copper
IMG_7887.JPG
I decided to spend an hour in his company. He favoured a pebble perch from which he would launch himself at passing flies and the like. I saw him carry out quick flights around his territory.

On other occasions he would go nectaring. I noticed that his manner of flight when changing from one flower to the next was far more subdued than when, for example, carrying out a reccie of his territory. His way of flying when nectaring was rather like a Small Heath when they fly through long grass, slower than when darting around checking his Patch.

I mention this because after watching him for about 20 minutes he embarked upon the Stalk Dance routine
IMG_7889.JPG
IMG_7890.JPG
IMG_7892.JPG
and I noticed that his manner of flying from one plant to another during the Stalk Dance was just the same as when going from flower to flower nectaring

This is something I confess to having missed in the past and it made me wonder if it gives a clue as to explaining why they perform the Stalk Dance at all. It just seems to me that when they are in need of nectar they are "looking" for suitable flowers and thus fly at a moderate pace. So when flying from plant to plant in order to do the Stalk Dance are they "looking" for a particular plant?
IMG_7912.JPG
IMG_7914.JPG
Certainly the foot tapping suggests they are attempting to detect something
IMG_7918.JPG
IMG_7923.JPG
IMG_7924.JPG
I don't know! I'm not a scientist

Great fun to watch whatever they're up to!
IMG_7925.JPG
IMG_7926.JPG
The Copper - O -Meter reached 19 today.

Ps. I came across this beautiful grass flower
IMG_7933.JPG
Can anyone tell me its name?

Hoggers

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hi Hoggers,
Your grass looks like a Quaking grass species to me,quite widespread but mainly on open downland I believe,hoping for a trip to Dungie myself this weekend,plants mainly,but of course I,ll be keeping an eye out for Coppers !! regards Allan.W.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Allan, thanks for the grass identification - I can't remember ever having seen it before. It's a beautiful species - I must see if I can get some for my garden!

Best wishes,

Hoggers

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

A Common Rosefinch dropped into Dungeness for a visit today and drew a large crowd of admirers.

I was counting Small Coppers
IMG_7944.JPG
My Copper-O-Meter reached only 9
IMG_7940.JPG
So there were more Twitchers than Coppers

(Which is a shame because Coppers are so much better to look at)
IMG_7968.JPG
This dwindling of Coppers is well in line with past years
IMG_7949.JPG
I do not expect their numbers to increase significantly until the third week in June
IMG_7951.JPG
I saw Small Heaths and Common Blues and two Brown Argus
IMG_7972.JPG
IMG_7983.JPG
Attractive though they undoubtedly are, there're not Coppers!

All the Coppers that I saw today were male ( and yesterday, when I counted 19 Coppers, I found only one female)
IMG_7964.JPG
Two males today were holding very definite territories, frequently returning to the same perch.

Still a precious few to be found!
IMG_7953.JPG

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

I've been keeping an eye on a few male Small Coppers in the moat at Dungeness all of which have been holding territories for a number of days
IMG_8185.JPG
One is very prominent. He lives by the Hoary Cress
IMG_8002.JPG
He's a handsome chap

The other males are generally not so trim
IMG_8035.JPG
I sat down and watched this male for an hour
IMG_8054.JPG
I noticed that he spent a great deal of his time nectaring
IMG_8073.JPG
then after about 30 minutes he set off on a round of Stalk Dancing
IMG_8096.JPG
IMG_8100.JPG
I was able to confirm the impression I formed the other day that the manner of flight when embarked on a Stalk Dance is slower and less urgent than when, for example, doing a check around the territory or when seeing off an intruder
IMG_8107.JPG
They fly in much the same way as when nectaring
IMG_8109.JPG
IMG_8123.JPG
I get the impression that when Stalk Dancing the male Copper is looking for particular plants
IMG_8124.JPG
IMG_8126.JPG
I like this out of focus photograph because it illustrates what the male is doing when he tap-dances down the stem of a plant - look at his extended front leg
IMG_8103.JPG
Classic Stalk Dance Pose:
IMG_8130.JPG
It's fascinating.

The Copper-O-Meter reached 12 today
IMG_8039.JPG
IMG_8040.JPG
And unlike yesterday I found two females. The first was battered. She roosted inside a bramble bush but would come out to nectar before returning into cover
IMG_8183.JPG
The second female was a stunner: great condition and a fully paid up member of the Small Copper Blue Badge Club
IMG_8155.JPG
I spent some time with her and I'm glad that I did: after sunning herself she went on a walkabout in the grass
IMG_8142.JPG
And whilst doing this I watched her lay an egg!

I need glasses for reading (which I'd left at home ). The egg was so small it was at the very edge of my ability to see it - the huge glass-like tube in this photo is in fact my Biro!
IMG_8180.JPG
But I just managed to line up my camera to get a photo of the egg itself
IMG_8170.JPG
What a beauty! I was over the moon!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great shots Hogger's, not seen one up here yet so looking forward to when I come down there, Fantastic shot of the egg by the way. Goldie :D

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

The Blue Tit chicks in my nest box look ready to go
P1070036.JPG
Six chicks from eight eggs.

Here's mum squashed up against the side on a visit to her brood
P1070039.JPG
I think they'll be gone any day now.

Hope the weather improves for them!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

The chicks should be up here Hogger's the weather's been great for once it makes a change for us :D Goldie :D

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Goldie, it's good to hear that you've been having some decent weather for a change! Up until today it has been quite the opposite down here: day after day of wind, rain and thick cloud. The Blue Tit chicks left their cosy nest box the very next day and it couldn't have been easy for them.

An old school chum of mine visited me today from Norfolk ( he also spends a lot of time in the Orkney Isles where his partner is the locum GP ). He brought the sunshine with him, the first we've seen in a week!

( By the way, they're off to Hoy for a month soon and have promised to send me photos of any butterflies they see, which I'll post here )

We headed down to Dungeness and right from getting out of the car we began to see Painted Ladies
IMG_8305.JPG
They looked fresh and we guessed they'd just arrived on the breeze coming in off the sea ( We counted 15 )

AllanW was just finishing his visit to Dungeness but stopped to swap notes with us. It was good to see you again Allan.

Dungeness is in blossom and the scent in the air is gorgeous : they should bottle it!

It was good to see so many Small Heaths
IMG_8235.JPG
(They were flying up with almost our every step)

And Common Blues
IMG_8232.JPG
IMG_8241.JPG
Including some beautiful females
IMG_8291.JPG
We saw several Brown Argus
IMG_8248.JPG
And were delighted to find a mating pair
IMG_8331.JPG
No visit to Dungeness would be complete without mentioning Small Coppers. As I've noted previously, the first brood is on its way out and to be honest after a week of horrid weather I had not expected to find any at all today.

But there's no getting a good Small Copper down
IMG_8262.JPG
Tired and ragged though they may be these last members of the first brood are hanging on
IMG_8237.JPG
The Copper-O-Meter reached only 4 but one of these Coppers was very special to me indeed
IMG_8266.JPG
I first logged him on his patch on 27th May
IMG_8269.JPG
And he was still there today. Brilliant!

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

I was going through my notes today when I realised that the long staying Copper (featured in yesterday's report) had in fact been seen on 24th May, not 27th.

Here he is on 24th May when I first saw him, nectaring on his patch
IMG_0394.JPG
As to his age, any guesses? 4 or 5 days old?

Now another photo of him but this time taken on 28th May
IMG_7964.JPG
Still on his patch but looking worn with a dent in his left fore-wing

And finally here he is, on the same patch, when I saw him yesterday
IMG_8266.JPG
He has held the same territory for at least 13 days, is perhaps 17 or 18 or so days old, and he survived six consecutive days of rotten weather!

kevling

Post by kevling »

Hoggers,

Have been enjoying your diary of Small Copper sightings. Although it does constantly remind me that I have yet to see one this year yet :oops: At this rate I'll be waiting for the second brood.

Regards Kev

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

All of that goes for me too - but I also like the chicks and Painted Lady :D

peterc

Post by peterc »

Me too - no Small Coppers yet either. At least the second brood is usually more numerous so I think most of us will have to wait for a while :)

ATB

Peter

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi, Thanks for the messages - I think Dungeness must be one of the premier sites in the UK for Small Coppers and I'm lucky to live fairly close to it.

I expect the second brood there to really get going in about three weeks time

Best wishes

Hoggers

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

No Coppers yet Hogger's but I've managed a Painted Lady, :D I'll have to wait until I come down there I think
Goldie :D

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Don't come down for the Coppers just yet, Goldie! I managed to squeeze in a quick visit to Dungeness today where I saw about 12 Painted Ladies
IMG_8342.JPG
Re-fuelling after their long journey
IMG_8346.JPG
Small Heaths a-plenty
IMG_8350.JPG
Two Brown Argus, not as many Common Blues as I'd expected ( it was very hot so I expect they were taking things easy in the shade somewhere ) and the odd Small White drifting about, but as for Coppers..
IMG_8356.JPG
Just the One

I checked on the long stayer but there was no sign of him. I wonder if the terrific thunderstorms of last night saw him off?

So yes, I managed to find only one Copper , holding a territory all on his tod
IMG_8376.JPG
But although the adults have gone I noticed how the recent rain has prompted all of the Sorrel into vigorous growth, so I like to think of all those hungry Small Copper caterpillars down there munching away on the luscious leaves and getting nice and fat and ready to produce the next brood!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Hogger's I won't be down there until August, hope fully I'll get to see the SC and also the ones I missed last year SSSkipper, and if I don't see Adonis next week, hope fully those has well :D
It looks like the Painted Ladies have arrived in force not seen them like this up here since 2009( Great) Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”