Susie

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Susie

Re: Susie

Post by Susie »

It's amazing how a couple of weeks can make such a difference; two weeks ago I would have been thrilled to see any butterfly. Today I ended up thoroughly fed up with my lack of success to see any whites (large, small or orange tip - or even a brimstone would have done). The day started out well with a walk with the pup turning up a couple of small tortoiseshells and a peacock. My plans for the rest of the day were thwarted by teenagers and their fickle tendencies which meant my trip to Ferring Rife was again postponed and I ended up gardening at home for the best part of the afternoon. Finally, I managed to go out and thought I'd try my luck at Five Oaks. Five commas and a couple of peacocks were about but none posing for photos. I then moved on to Itchingfield/Barns Green but the sun had gone in at this point and it was quite late in the afternoon and I only saw one comma. The flowers are coming on well though Celandine, wood anemone, cuckoo flower, greater stitchwort and dandelions all in bloom and the first of the bluebell flowers starting to appear already :shock:

Arriving home and feeling grumpy nursing a cup of coffee in the garden I started watching the bees and began to cheer up. Can't beat a hairy footed flower bee to put a smile on your face. Their buzzing is bonkers! :D There must be three of four varieties of bumble in the garden as well as the solitary bees and the bee flies are out too. Sitting in the sun catching a few rays I felt much happier, I'll find the whites another day. :)

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Susie,
Here we are flooded out with Brimstones!
Philip

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Lucky thing! :)

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Bees are a good substitute for butterflies Susie - plus if it's warm enough for bees to be flying butterflies shouldn't be far behind :D Brimstones are getting me down too as they're just too difficult to photograph at this time of year as they won't let you get close. :x

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Susie

Post by Susie »

Two brimstone, a few commas, about half a dozen peacocks and so many small torts I've lost count at various sites around here today but nothing new yet. :)

Susie

Post by Susie »

This afternoon I had a lovely walk along the wey and arun canal at loxwood. Despite it being warm enough to not need a jumper I didn't see a single butterfly which was really very surprising as the habitat is ideal.

Susie

Post by Susie »

Not done much butterflying lately but saw a small white feeding on pansies in the middle of Horsham today. Another one for the list.

Susie

Post by Susie »

As the fog burned off this morning I realised that it was going to be hot later! Hurrah! After dancing in the morning I headed off with the hound to a spot I know is good for orange tips in the early afternoon. As I headed nearer to the place I saw two small whites (or possibly green veined given the location but I won't count them yet) and I became more hopeful. I was thrilled to see the unmistakeable flash of orange as another butterfly streaked along the lane near to where I was due to park. Despite several more sightings where I followed him along the lane on foot he never stopped long enough for a picture and eventually disappeared over the hedge. Really good numbers of peacocks and brimstones around too and a few small tortoiseshell.
10155469_10152349631391972_398925226_n.jpg
I then headed to a local bluebell woods and had a wander around with the hound. He was far too hot with his thick black coat and made a beeline for the nearest muddy pond to wallow in and cool down. The bluebells are just coming out in a few sunny spots and the wood anemone, celandines and cuckoo flower made a really pretty display. The lanes around Itchingfield and Barns Green are full of flowers and so I was surprised not to see any whites flying along here yet. It won't be long before they will be out in good numbers.

Butterfly challenge

1. Peacock
2. Red admiral
3. Brimstone
4. Small tortoiseshell
5. Comma
6. Small white
7. Orange tip

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Congrats on the Orange-tip :D still none in my neck of the woods :( Your cracking shot of the Peacock seems to show or with a rectangular chunk missing from the hind wing-is that a bird strike?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Susie

Post by Susie »

Orange tip.jpg
Beautiful male orange tip sitting in the cuckoo flower by my pond this morning. Looked like he had recently emerged so probably home grown :)

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

That is a wonderful photo Susie. I wish I got fresh Orange tips in my garden, I'm lucky if I even see one passing through.

ATB

B'saurus

Susie

Post by Susie »

Hi wurzel, yes I think you are right that the peacock had survived a bird strike.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

No Orange Tips here yet Susie and with the weather we've got at present not likely to be, having said that I think their always abit later coming out in the north, your photo is lovely, I'm Green :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Susie

Post by Susie »

Holly blue and speckled wood spotted this morning and plenty of orange tips in the garden.

Butterfly challenge

1. Peacock
2. Red admiral
3. Brimstone
4. Small tortoiseshell
5. Comma
6. Small white
7. Orange tip
8. Holly blue
9. Speckled wood
Last edited by Susie on Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maverick

Post by maverick »

im feed up apart from the butterflies ive seen on my hols , i only spotted about 6 tortoiseshells
its still cold in the north west :(

Susie

Post by Susie »

That's probably as frustrating as ne now at work and knowing there are butterflies outside :lol:

David M

Post by David M »

Susie wrote:That's probably as frustrating as ne now at work and knowing there are butterflies outside :lol:
I feel your pain, believe me I do :(

maverick

Post by maverick »

I have to take back what I said earlier
I've been out this afternoon and can now say I've got six different butterflies
Torts x 20
Peacock x 12
Brimstone
Speckledwood
Large white
And a scruffy comma
All walking distance at the back of my house,I can safely say the the northwest has finally woken
Last edited by maverick on Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Susie

Post by Susie »

Congratulations maverick! I am really pleased for you :)

Susie

Post by Susie »

I just had a look at the cuckoo flower by the pond. Nearly every plant has an orange tip egg already :)

Return to “Personal Diaries”