Map sighting near Swanage

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

Re: Map sighting near Swanage

Post by David M »

An illuminating read, and proof positive that people there to collect specimens need to be robustly challenged.

The truth is slowly 'outing'.
The Annoying Czech

Post by The Annoying Czech »

Guys, this is the best Britcom ever :D !

Swanage Map Incident 2014
jasonbirder

Post by jasonbirder »

Very sad to see collectors on site...

As with birds "Half measures" suppression gives you the worst of all possible worlds...
There's no-way to keep the secret close once news is spread around friends and then friends of friends and then their friends etc...add in letting the appropriate recorder know...and his circle of friends...a few random locals etc etc etc and its inevitable interested parties with the worst possible intentions will find out...Particularly when people are posting "Trophy Photo's" on their blogs and social media...
But as the news isn't circulated widely there's not enough traffic on-site of observers to make sure the "wrong-un's" are kept in check!

Perhaps Butterfly Conservation needs a strong code of conduct banning collecting and use of nets...then at least it would be easy and obvious that anyone doing so could be confronted or reported as appropriate...

Also...what is it with Butterfly breeders and illegal releases? There's a chap up near where I work that has released Swallowtails and Large Coppers at a tiny ex-coal pit nature reserve! Bonkers!
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

jasonbirder wrote:Perhaps Butterfly Conservation needs a strong code of conduct banning collecting and use of nets...then at least it would be easy and obvious that anyone doing so could be confronted or reported
First off, BC don't lay down the law and they, themselves, use nets all the time, as do the branches on field trips etc. Secondly, as has been discussed many times on these forums, there is no reason to suspect that someone with a net is up to no good.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
jasonbirder

Post by jasonbirder »

Apologies if I come across as direct...
I'm obviously new to Butterflying and am a lapsed birder...
Out of interest...and i suspect there's a few like me that don't understand...in a UK context...outside of structured scientific studies what would a net be used for (In a Butterfly context - I understand it's appropriate for Diptera etc)
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

In a butterfly context (in the British Isles) they're used for scientific study (e.g. In a mark-and-recapture study), to show attendees on a field trip what they're seeing (especially relevant for those that are less-mobile), and no doubt by individuals that have trouble separating certain species (e.g. Small and Essex Skipper). Having said that, it's generally agreed that you don't need a net to identify the majority of butterfly species in this British Isles.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
jasonbirder

Post by jasonbirder »

chrisvanswaay

Post by chrisvanswaay »

A few minor things from the continent:
- the Map is highly mobile, colonised Netherlands in 15 years (meaning a spread of 20 km per year).
- at present the speed of expansion in Finland seems to be around 600 km in 10 years (so 60 km per year), though some might have come from the east.
- we now have an extremely early and large third generation, which started about a week ago. Normally a third generation is much smaller or absent (as good as always smaller than the first generation and much smaller than the second generation) and flies in September. The larvae grew in the warm July and first bit of August and developed very quickly.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks for the information Chris. I won't need to contact you now, to request permission to quote those figures when I write up my own account :D . There has certainly been much written on social media in past weeks which, irrespective of the Map's origin in Dorset, is completely false. It amazes me that there are so many people who think that non-migratory species are incapable of vigorous dispersal, even though we're surrounded by examples!
BWs, Neil
The Annoying Czech

Post by The Annoying Czech »

chrisvanswaay wrote:A few minor things from the continent:
- the Map is highly mobile, colonised Netherlands in 15 years (meaning a spread of 20 km per year).
- at present the speed of expansion in Finland seems to be around 600 km in 10 years (so 60 km per year), though some might have come from the east.
- we now have an extremely early and large third generation, which started about a week ago. Normally a third generation is much smaller or absent (as good as always smaller than the first generation and much smaller than the second generation) and flies in September. The larvae grew in the warm July and first bit of August and developed very quickly.
Sounds interesting.

In Czech Rep. the species was historically rather fluctuating, especially in Bohemia (although never extinct) nad probably dispersed along the big rivers. It's kind of hard to imagine now, as those animals are really common and needs only a bunch of nettles.

And the 3rd generation is almost over here, being literally washed with August rains. I've never seen 3rd generation not to be on the wing, even including cold and rainy seasons.
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Neil Hulme wrote: It amazes me that there are so many people who think that non-migratory species are incapable of vigorous dispersal, even though we're surrounded by examples!
Pearl Bordered Frits, White Admiral, Brown Hairstreak, Small Blue, Dingy, and Grizzled Skippers, are some of the more unusual species that I've spotted in clients gardens. It never surprises me, within reason, just about anything can turn up anywhere.

Regards Gruditch
nomad

Post by nomad »

All seems quiet on the southern front, did the Maps turn up in 2015. You know,those that were released at Swanage or is this the end of the great 2014 Map sitcom :o
Last edited by nomad on Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Arnold

Post by Brian Arnold »

Three of the Levana form of the Map were seen on 15th May 2015 at a point several hundred yards from the original sightings, but that was the only sighting I know of. I was away in North Wales at the time so did not see them unfortunately.
I live close to the site where myself and two others found the first Prorsa form in August 2014. I have been to the site many times this summer and did not find any, and others who go to the site regularly have also not seen any. The field where they were found in 2014 was severely cut back early this summer so that may have contributed to the lack of sightings. Most people I have talked to think that they have either disappeared completely or maybe some have dispersed elsewhere.
nomad

Post by nomad »

Brian. Thank you for your update. I guess in the end three emerging Maps were not going to sustain a colony. It is interesting that the habitat was not preserved, especially after all that fuss made about not wanting the nettles to be trampled by too many photographers.
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Given that they were almost certainly introduced, in a place they were unlikely to find suitable long term, it's no surprise the colony blew itself out so quickly!

Return to “Sightings”