Philippines Blog

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Philippines Blog

Post by David M »

And thanks to you, Tony. They've certainly brightened MY winter up a little!

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
NickMorgan

Re: Philippines Blog

Post by NickMorgan »

You have certainly brightened up my winter as well Tony. It must have been a fantastic experience being able to spend so long in the country looking for butterflies. Thank you for sharing what you saw.
Good luck to your wife seeking a job in SE Asia. I look forward to seeing many more pictures of butterflies from the area!! :D

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Tony Moore

One last one...

Post by Tony Moore »

DSC00416.JPG
Didn't post this before as it was such an overcropped, crap photo. There were quite a few of these around earlier, but I failed to get near another one :( .

Here is Dr Seow's take on it:

"This is a tough one .

The way the HW band continues on to the FW indicates it is Neptis.
I presume this is from Luzon.
The likely species are N. cymela, pampanga, cyra & mindorana.

N. cymela & pampanga can be eliminated.
N. cyra is the philippine representive of N. clinia which have the FW lower spots rounded & so is unlikely.

So that leaves Neptis mindorana ilocana.
In the forms of N. mindorana shown below the HW submarginal spots are quadrate,(vs more triangular in this pic.), but may be just subspecific difference.
http://pbh-butterflies.yolasite.com/...utterflies.php"

I thought it was worth posting in full :) .

Thanks for all your kind comments and, as Guy says, roll on the first Orange Tips...

Tony.

Return to “Personal Diaries”