May 2012

Discussion forum for sightings.
Willrow

Re: May 2012

Post by Willrow »

My first visit of the year to Rodborough Common, hoping for Duke of Burgundy, not disappointed either as at least a dozen were active on the common itself during the morning and another was seen after lunch on Swellshill Bank a mile or so further south-west. The common is awash with Cowslips and Milkwort, it makes for a delightful spectacle.

Should you visit the common keep yours eyes out for Roman Snails, these huge molluscs are fond of doing whatever snails are fond of doing on old beech leaves, if you step on one you'll know it, but you could trip over one, they really are that big :lol:

Few Brown Argus seen, Dingy Skipper were in reasonable numbers as were Green Hairstreak and Small Heath. Disappointed not to see Common or Adonis Blue as I saw both here last year in early May, can't imagine they're too far away now though, what a topsy-turvy country we live in!!! :roll:

Bill :D
Attachments
Duke on it's viewing post, these tenacious little butterflies will defend their patch fiercely.
Duke on it's viewing post, these tenacious little butterflies will defend their patch fiercely.
Can any camera accurately capture the subtle green of the Green Hairstreak?
Can any camera accurately capture the subtle green of the Green Hairstreak?
Compare this snails size with a one pence piece.
Compare this snails size with a one pence piece.
Not too sure if this is Common or Chalk Milkwort.
Not too sure if this is Common or Chalk Milkwort.
This Duke perched itself on a Beech sapling.
This Duke perched itself on a Beech sapling.
The first of the day was found in a 'fold' on the steep embankment.
The first of the day was found in a 'fold' on the steep embankment.
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
David M

Post by David M »

Woke up to cloud and light rain this morning, but it got noticeably brighter just after midday so I took a trip to the Alun Valley near Bridgend, which is the site where High Brown Fritillaries are resident.

I'd helped with some clearance work on this site in March, and I opted to revisit this spot rather than Old Castle Down, which is on the other side of the railway track.

The vegetation is already making inroads into the cleared areas, with wild strawberries particularly noticeable. The bracken fronds are just starting to unfurl and the aroma of all these wild plants on a humid afternoon was something to behold whilst walking along the paths through the slopes.

It wasn't long before I spotted a Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary, along with a Dingy Skipper and a Small Copper. I was amazed to also see a Small Tortoiseshell, looking very ragged which is only to be expected given its obvious longevity.

Old Castle Down is in the distance, but this side is more south-facing, and I suspect that in a few days time, when temperatures rise to 20c as forecast, SPBFs will be found on these bluebell bedecked slopes in large numbers.

Species seen between 12.45 and 2.30 were:

Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary 5
Peacock 5
Dingy Skipper 2
Small White 2
Small Copper 1
Green Veined White 1
Small Tortoiseshell 1
Large White 1
Brown Argus 1
Orange Tip 1
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

I nipped over to Denge Wood for another audience with The Duke this afternoon:
P1010200.JPG
Five of His Royal Dukeness ( ? ) were seen,including two engaged in fisticuffs over the Lady Orchids.
P1010222.JPG
I also bumped into a couple of fellow Aurelians who had just seen a Green Hairstreak which was rather annoying because I've been searching for them with no luck and by the time I'd reached the spot it had vanished ( Wurzel, I feel your pain.. )
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

David M wrote:I took a trip to the Alun Valley near Bridgend, which is the site where High Brown Fritillaries are resident.
Good stuff David, I spent a part of my day on Rodborough Common last Wednesday in company with Richard Smith of Butterfly Conservation (who I know your acquainted with). We discussed the current situation in the Alun Valley after the recent weather, I know he would be very interested to receive your Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary record in particular (assuming you have not already done so), I'm pretty sure he's working in the West Wales area over the next few days, so may be unaware of their emergence. Some nice sightings there, things are starting to look up :roll: :)

Regards,

David M

Post by David M »

Yes Bill, Richard's a champion (and I still owe him a large number of green waste bags). SPBFs are very common here in peak season, and this year is shaping up to be no different. Sadly though, in spite of Grizzled Skippers being fairly numerous 3 miles away at Merthyr Mawr, they have only occasionally been spotted on this site, which is a shame, seeing as it would be very much to their liking given the profusion of wild strawberry and Pyrgus type terrain that has now been created here.

One lives in hope.
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

With reports of Glanville Fritillaries sightings coming in I thought I'd check out the Glanville site much closer to home at Wrecclesham. Although the weather was seemingly suitable the only butterflies I saw in over 2 hours searching was a Speckled Wood on the way in, an unidentified fly-by white and a Holly Blue on the way out. The Holly Blue, a male seemed intent on alighting on the ground and didn't appear to be imbibe salts.
Grounded, Male Holly Blue
Grounded, Male Holly Blue
Leaving Wrecclesham for a visit in at least two weeks time, I moved onto Botany Bay Chiddingfold. Here there were numerous Wood Whites, in singles or small groups of 2's and 3's. A male Orange-tip checked out all the nectring WW he came across. These dainty little butterflies pleased my daughter Isabella who described their group behaviour as them “just being friends” :)
02 IMG_3154 A.jpg
03 P1010582 B.jpg
Diamond Jubilee Wood Whites
Diamond Jubilee Wood Whites
In the triangle I met Nick (HideAndSeek) although it should be the other way around as it was him who recognised me from a photo in a previous posting. Nick had taken photos of the Wood Whites and also Dingy Skipper, plus other interesting fauna. When I spoke to him he was taking a picture of a little green spider. This I tentatively identified as a very young Araneus quadratus (looked similar to “Knotty” which ChrisC identified as such last year). Perhaps Nick will post it for ID?
Also seen was a female Speckled Wood ovipositing.
SW ovipositing on grass
SW ovipositing on grass
Same female
Same female
Finally on the way out I spotted a Wood White 'ruck' where a mating pair was being 'molested' by an interloper desperate on crashing in and forming a threesome.
"What's going on here"?
"What's going on here"?
"Any room for one more"?
"Any room for one more"?
Wood White menage et trois
Wood White menage et trois
Susie

Post by Susie »

Thanks Phil, I was thinking of visiting Wrecclesham on monday but in view of your post i'll leave it for a while. You've saved me a lot of petrol money! The mini heatwave forecast for later this week should bring things on immensely.
David M

Post by David M »

Excellent image of the Wood White 'threesome', Phil. It's rare to see the uppersides visible on a photo.
David M

Post by David M »

After the early morning cloud cover had largely dissipated, I spent a couple of hours wandering round my local site in Swansea Vale.

It has become a bit warmer - 16.5c according to my very accurate car thermometer - but as has been the case lately, butterfly numbers continue to be meagre.

I did get to see my first Holly Blue of the year, courtesy of two passing cyclists who made me stop to let them go by. In addition, I saw another single Small Tortoiseshell as well as a Comma.

Butterflies seen between 12.30 and 2.30 pm were:

Small White 5-10
Orange Tip 3
Peacock 2
Green Veined White 2
Large White 1
Holly Blue 1
Small Tortoiseshell 1
Comma 1
Dingy Skipper 1
Speckled Wood 1
Last edited by David M on Sun May 20, 2012 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

It sounds like the weather in Sussex was similar to what David had in Wales with drizzle,cloud etc clearing late morning. The breeze was still well up though. I walked from home to High and Over which took me past another Wall Brown hotspot. At last I saw my first females of the year with 2 seen. The freshest of which was paired up in the undergrowth. I then went onto the escarpment where several more were trying to keep out the wind. Near the bottom my first Cinnabar Moth of the year. Back home and an Angle Shades was found in the garden.
Attachments
Wall Brown female in cop
Wall Brown female in cop
Cinnabar Moth
Cinnabar Moth
Angle Shades
Angle Shades
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Today I finally had first male orange tip sit and pose for me :) :) :)

Yesterday we went onto the silver studded blue caterpillar hunt led by Stephen Lewis and many thanks to him for a wonderful walk. :) :) :)
Attachments
orange tip.jpg
IMG_2900-a.jpg
IMG_2842 - Copy.JPG
IMG_2846 - Copy.JPG
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

My second visit of the week to Aberbargoed Grasslands NNR, Gwent (Monmouthshire), to see if the Marsh Fritillary had emerged, considering the sunny intervals during the afternoon I was hopeful, alas it was not to be, even with the temperature peaking at a dizzy 16c, this is the latest I can remember, but with a better week promised they can't be far off. Very quiet still, my only sightings were 1 Green-veined White, 2 Large White, 1 Speckled Wood, 2 Peacock and a solitary Dingy Skipper :( not exactly mid-May butterfly days (rather poetic that is'nt it... :lol: ) I also saw my first Brown Silver-line moth of the year, a bracken lover that is often disturbed while out butterflying.

I'm off to Cornwall in the morning, hope I get a better return for my efforts down west, cos' I'm starting to get frustrated and fidgety...and that's a rarity for me :roll:

David M

Post by David M »

At least your timing's spot on, Bill. You should be able to take advantage of the warmest spell thus far in 2012! :)
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Bill,

Good luck down in Cornwall, the weather is looking much better for next week.

Just one butterfly for me all weekend due to a combination of family stuff and cloudy weather here in the midlands, a Grizzled Skipper as posted in my diary.

Cheers,

Neil F.
A_T

Post by A_T »

A Wall seen on the West Wales coast today.

A real lack of Speckled Woods around at the moment.
jenks

Post by jenks »

Hi David, interesting to see you went to the Alun valley on Saturday. I went to Old Castle Down Sunday and tried to get access to that valley by walking down the steep slope alongside the fence and through the bridge underneath the railway line. Then I had a problem ! From memory when I visited last year I crossed the stream to get into the valley. Not a problem last June/July, the stream was dry. Yesterday it was full, 3-4 feet deep in places, and I was wearing light walking boots. So I had to turn back. Is there another way in ?

Merthyr Mawr and warren between 10.00 and 12.30 produced Dingy Skipper 5, Grizzled Skipper 2, Speckled Wood 3, Orange Tip 3, Common Blue 2 males 1 female, Small Heath 3, and singles of Small and Large White. So I almost doubled my 2012 species list in one morning !. Heres to more butterfly weather.

Jenks.
David M

Post by David M »

jenks wrote:Hi David, interesting to see you went to the Alun valley on Saturday. I went to Old Castle Down Sunday and tried to get access to that valley by walking down the steep slope alongside the fence and through the bridge underneath the railway line. Then I had a problem ! From memory when I visited last year I crossed the stream to get into the valley. Not a problem last June/July, the stream was dry. Yesterday it was full, 3-4 feet deep in places, and I was wearing light walking boots. So I had to turn back. Is there another way in ?
Hi Jenks,

Yes, I reported the sudden reappearance of that river on my personal diary. Unless you take wellies (which I might do for later visits as I like to scour the down for Hairstreak activity) then the only way to the bespoke HBF amphitheatre now is to go in from the road on the opposite side of the railway track (coming in from the main road to the north, take a left just AFTER the right turn to Merthyr Mawr - Wick Road - and then right again shortly afterwards - Heol y Stepsau). If you park near the ford and walk back up the road you'll see a stile on your left which gives you access to the field cleared over the winter. From here, a path has been cut through the gorse that will lead you down to the 'amphitheatre'.

PM me if you need more detailed directions.
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Spent the morning and lunchtime at Eyarth Rocks, near Ruthin in North Wales. Weather gorgeous. Saw at least 10 Pearl Bordered Fritilary, possibly more, all looking pretty fresh. For the birdwatchers amongst you, there was also a Willow Tit, very rare these days.

Then set off on the long journey up to Scotland, just arrived in Stirling for an overnight stop. Early start tomorrow!
edgueinart

Post by edgueinart »

Today at abbot woods,20+ pearl,5+small heat,brimstone,orange tip,speckled wood and small copper.
Small Copper by JPNature, on Flickr
Brimstone by JPNature, on Flickr
Pearl-bordered Fritillary by JPNature, on Flickr
Orange Tip Female Laying Eggs by JPNature, on Flickr
Small Heath by JPNature, on Flickr
Speckled Wood by JPNature, on Flickr
Hugh Middleton

Post by Hugh Middleton »

At last I have had a full days butterflying for well over a month.
Visits to the Lincolnshire Limewoods and environs gave reasonable numbers and species, namely: Orange Tip, Brimstone, Peacock, Green Veined White and Small Copper.
No Dingy Skippers or Marsh Fritllary yet. Still to see my first Speckled Wood of the year.

Was just so nice to be out and about in shorts watching reasonable numbers of butterflies flying at last.

Hugh

Return to “Sightings”