jackz432r

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Paul Harfield

Re: jackz432r

Post by Paul Harfield »

After logging my sightings from Weymouth on the Dorset BC website, I had a nice email from Bill Shreeves (Dorset Butterfly Records Officer) telling me that my Dingy Skippers were the first recorded from that grid square since the atlas of 1980-94! Chuffed with that :D :D

Saturday 8.6.2013 My Local Patch
I took my youngest son to check on my local Small Tortoiseshell Larvae today. I had told him there were hundreds to keep his interest up, it has a tendency to wain quite quickly. When we arrived at the spot I was amazed at how much the vegetation had grown in the week since I last checked them. The surrounding grass seemed to have doubled in height. However, after 15 mins unsuccessful searching, my sons enthusiasm had run out so we headed back home :( I double checked all the locations as we passed them on the way back. It was only at the point where the youngest of the larvae had been last week that I managed to locate just a couple. These were each tucked up in their own small shelter constructed of a partially rolled nettle leaf secured by silk, some appearing to be ready for skin change, but another looked slightly bloated and possibly parasitised :( I hope that most have successfully gone to pupate and that nothing untoward has occurred. The area has now got an abundance of Thistle, looking like it will be in flower in a week or so. When the adults emerge they will seemingly have plenty of nectar sources. I am not sure really what to expect here, but I am quite excited by the prospect of a mass emergence of Small Tortoisehells :D :D
DSCN7158 - Copy.JPG
My next task is to try and find some pupae 'in situ' . Any body reading this could perhaps give me advice on specifically where to look. How far from the ground, how far form the larval foodplant etc etc :?:
Moth found in the garden 8.6.2013 Common Marbled Carpet?
Moth found in the garden 8.6.2013 Common Marbled Carpet?
I found this moth in the garden not sure on species but I think it could be Common Marbled Carpet. Perhaps somebody could confirm this :?:

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Finding Small Tortoiseshell pupae in the wild is not easy. My son found one about three inches from the ground at his school the other day, under an overhanging part of a temporary classroom. The nearest nettles were over 100 metres crawl away, so if this is an example of how far they can disperse, they could end up anywhere.

Dave

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

millerd wrote:Finding Small Tortoiseshell pupae in the wild is not easy. My son found one about three inches from the ground at his school the other day, under an overhanging part of a temporary classroom. The nearest nettles were over 100 metres crawl away, so if this is an example of how far they can disperse, they could end up anywhere.

Dave
Hi Dave
Thanks for that. I had better make an early start and enrol some helpers :shock:

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Sunday 9.6.2012 Stephen's Castle Down, Hampshire

My original plan for Sunday was to make an early start and head for Beacon Hill at Warnford in search of roosting Common Blues and Brown Argus. After that I had planned to investigate an area, closer to home, that I can see in the distance as I drive up to Beacon Hill. Unfortunately my wife was not feeling well and asked that I just go out for a couple of hours :( . I set off at around 8.20 under cloudy skies (as I always do when visiting Beacon Hill). As I drove, I decided at the last minute not to bother with Beacon Hill today and instead just check out this as yet unchartered new site.

Now was the time to test my instincts :? . Whenever I drive out of Bishops Waltham, across the downs towards Corhampton (a regular route at work) I have become aware of an interesting looking area over in the distance to the left, perhaps 2-3 miles away from the main road. I had checked the satellite view earlier in the week which showed that there was a road adjacent to this site near to the tiny village of Dean. At this point I had no idea if the land was private, or indeed if the area was as good as it appeared from a distance. As is the case with all the best butterfly sites the access was poor and there was hardly any room to park, this was a good omen. I turned off the main road into a very narrow single track road, which seemed to have no passing places at all. I followed the road to the dead end where there were plenty of no parking signs on the verge as it was at a farm entrance. But the site was certainly looking very promising, it was open access land and it had a name, 'Stephen's Castle Down'. I managed to find just enough space to park the car back down the road, and set off on my adventure.
Stephens Castle Down
Stephens Castle Down
DSCN7285 - Copy.JPG
It was still early and there was more cloud than sun, together with a cool, stiff breeze. There is a narrow stretch of level meadow which one has to walk through before one reaches a gently sloping, east facing stretch of chalk downland. There is areas of scrub, woodland and larger areas of short downland turf but also areas of longer grass with plenty of bare ground. Judging by the information on the sign the site is currently undergoing some active removal of scrub to preserve the downland habitat. Once I got past the meadow area the first butterflies seen were 2 or 3 Small Heath that I disturbed from the longer grass. I made my way further into the site looking carefully as I went, in the hope of finding some roosting butterflies. Next up was a Male Common blue, again disturbed as I walked. It did not fly far before settling down again in the turf out of the wind. At this point there were not many butterflies evident at all and the wind showed no sign of dying away, but it was becoming a little brighter. A Dingy Skipper then flew into view and settled on some bare ground, where it stayed for quite some time.
Common Blue 9.6.2013
Common Blue 9.6.2013
Dingy Skipper 9.6.2013
Dingy Skipper 9.6.2013
There is plenty of Buckthorn here and it was not long before a female Brimstone fluttered by. I followed this female Brimstone until it settled deep into some undergrowth, it was looking in remarkably good shape considering it was probably getting on for 10 months old. This was one of several female Brimstone seen during my visit all of which seemed in good shape and all settled deep in the undergrowth when they rested.
Female Brimstone 9.6.2013
Female Brimstone 9.6.2013
Small Heath 9.6.2013
Small Heath 9.6.2013
Female Common Blue 9.6.2013
As I walked it became apparent that Small Heath seemed to be particularly numerous at this site. At times it seemed as though each step I took disturbed at least one Small Heath. The other thing that was very abundant here was beetles, one particular species, Dune Chafers (Anomala dubia) were very active, buzzing around in their thousands. After an hour or so the butterfly action had started to increase. Small heath were still the most numerous but Dingy Skippers and Common Blues were now around in good numbers. The few female Common Blues seen were all very fresh and included one very Blue female. The males seemed to be slightly more active and slightly less fresh. The Dingy Skippers ranged from fresh to very worn examples.
Dingy Skipper 9.6.2013
Dingy Skipper 9.6.2013
Female Common Blue 9.6.2012
Female Common Blue 9.6.2012
Grizzled Skipper 9.6.2013
Grizzled Skipper 9.6.2013
Next up was a Grizzled Skipper this was the only one I saw all day. In the flesh the light markings seemed more yellowy than normal but this is not apparent in the photo I managed, maybe it was an optical illusion caused by the background. As I am still using an old point and shoot camera, perhaps with better equipment I could have captured a better image. There was one particular area where there was almost too much going on. Small heaths taking off at every footstep and being intercepted by Dingy Skippers, whilst Dune Chafers seemed to be flying in every direction. I stopped for a moment around some Buckthorn Bushes and spotted a large attractive looking moth larva whilst lower down in the shade a couple of delightfully fragile longhorn moths danced with each other, one with exceptionally long antennae.
One of many Dune Chafer beetles
One of many Dune Chafer beetles
Yellow Tail moth larva on Buckthorn
Yellow Tail moth larva on Buckthorn
Duke of Burgundy 9.6.2013
Duke of Burgundy 9.6.2013
Just as I was starting to think about making my way home, it crossed my mind that this would make good habitat for Duke of Burgundy. Almost at that exact moment a butterfly flew past that I at first thought was another Small Heath. It settled a few feet away, as if by magic it was indeed a well worn Duke. It was the only one I saw but it certainly made the day. All this on a site which is 15-20 minutes from home and a site I had found for myself without any recommendation, my instincts had paid off :D I did not get to find any roosting butterflies without disturbing them first, but I shall certainly return to this site :D

Total count for the day:-
Small Heath 31
Common Blue 16 (13 male & 3 female)
Dingy Skipper 8
Grizzled Skipper 1
Brimstone 3 (all female)
Duke of Burgundy 1

This brings my total species tally for the year to 19

jonhd

Post by jonhd »

Lovely account of your discovery - seeing the Duke must have made your day! I suspect that, being somewhat worn, it's possible that you arrived towards the end of the Duke season at that site - so well worth checking in May, next year.

That's exactly the kind of thing (finding local sites) that I like to do, so congratulations. Have tried a few around sunny Southampton (!), without much success - e.g. the edge of Lord's Wood, at SU405165, is supposed to be relatively fruitful... And then there's Peartree Common, and it's elusive White-Letter Hairstreal population. Southampton Common persists in suggesting that (I think) 32 species of butterfly can be found there - I'd love to challenge them on that claim - presumably, they mean in the past 150 years :D

Keep searching - who knows what you'll find locally!

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Well done Paul. I bet you were really excited :D . I expect this time next year we shall be asking you the best places to visit. I imagine Ashley Whitlock would be interested in your Duke sighting (or will know who the Hants recorder is, might be Mark Tutton) so it might be a good idea to pm him.

Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Paul
I think you have recorded your sighting of DOB on the Hants BC sightings page so it will get picked up by Ashley Whitlock who is the county recorder for this species. Good find - it was on my list of places to visit , it will be interesting to visit in peak season next year to see the extent of the colony.
Mark :D

The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
David M

Post by David M »

Excellent report. It's always nice to visit a new location and then find something interesting.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Jon, Pauline, Mark and David

Thanks for the comments.
I have absolutely no idea if this site is known for Duke of Burgundy, but I would be interested to know. I only managed to see half the site as I ran out of time, maybe I could have found more. I would certainly recommend this site if you get the opportunity to visit, Mark. The slopes are much more gentle than the likes of Rake Bottom, Beacon Hill and Oxenbourne Down :wink: I nearly returned today for another look :D but decided to go elsewhere

Yes, Mark, my sightings were logged on the Hants BC sightings page.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Friday 14.6.2013 Wootton Coppice
I intended to go to Martin Down today looking for Adonis Blue, Marsh Fritillary and Small Blue, but heavy morning cloud cover, wind and cool temps put me off :( I did not want to waste a 2 hour round trip and find not much flying. So I elected for somewhere closer to home. I have not seen either of the Pearls before so I headed off for Wootton Coppice in the New Forest.

I thought this would also be a good opportunity to try out my new insect repellent, as I have heard ticks are quite numerous here. It seems to me quite an amusing contradiction to wear 'Insect Repellent' whilst going in search of butterflies :? Maybe there is a gap in the market for 'Insect Attractant' for those difficult to find species :wink: So I set off smelling like a newly prepared fence panel :lol:
DSCN7322 - Copy.JPG
Keeled Skimmer
Keeled Skimmer
Broad Bodied Chaser
Broad Bodied Chaser
I arrived at around 11.30 the cloud cover was still total and there was a breeze, just occasionally the sun would appear for a second or two before disappearing again. Not really knowing the best places, I walked the main track from near to the carpark for an hour and a half investigating a couple of clearings off the track. In that hour and a half I saw no butterflies at all :( just a few fresh Keeled Skimmers and a couple of small moths. I was feeling a little disappointed at this time so I headed back toward the car checking a few of the clearings as I went. At the last clearing near to the car park amongst the now abundant dragonflies I spotted an orangey brown butterfly fluttering along at about waist height. I was pretty sure this was my first 'Pearl' :D but which one :?: It did not settle and I found it quite difficult to keep track of it and eventually lost sight without getting a close view. I went over to the area where it was when I lost sight and had a look to see if perhaps it had settled in the grass, but I found nothing. As I stood up I saw flying straight for me, what I thought at first was a Painted Lady. As it flew purposefully passed me just above head height no more than a couple of feet away, I could see it was a very fresh Dark Green Fritillary :D This was a total, but very welcome surprise and something I had not expected to see at all. It flew toward a group of Birch trees which I immediately went over to in case it had settled, but I saw no more of this handsome butterfly. My initial disappointment had now turned to renewed optimism and with this the sun appeared to be showing for longer periods :D
Common Blue Wootton Coppice 14.6.2013
Small Boggy Clearing Wootton Coppice
Small Boggy Clearing Wootton Coppice
I decided to investigate the smaller clearings on the other side of the track. These were much wetter than where I had got my initial glimpse. As I jumped the ditch at the side of the track, I could see a couple of these orangey/brown butterflies fluttering around within this very small boggy clearing. I approached and waited for one to settle which seemed to take ages but eventually it settled on some Bugle flowers this was my first confirmed 'Pearl' but I was still not sure which one. I managed some photos of this and another individual, both seemed quite worn specimens. One then flew out of site leaving just one, happy to stay within this small area. It was then joined by a male Common Blue, this was another surprise. This habitat did not seem to me to be Common Blue territory but there it was so I got some photos of that as well.
Pearl Bordered Fritillary Wootton Coppice 14.6.2013
Pearl Bordered Fritillary Wootton Coppice 14.6.2013
Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary Wootton Coppice 14.6.2013
Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary Wootton Coppice 14.6.2013
By now it was quite warm and the sun was out for long spells, but I did not have long before I had to go. I thought I would have another walk down the track. There now seemed to be hundreds of Keeled Skimmers around (mostly immature males) I have never seen so many, as well as a few Broad Bodied Chasers. A Speckled Wood put in an appearance along the track and then a female Large White closely followed by a very fresh Red Admiral all managing to avoid the my camera. It was now time for me to head back to the car.
DSCN7388 - Copy.JPG
As I walked back along the track a couple of female Brimstone flew by and then a male. I thought I would have one last look at the area where I got my first glimpse of a 'pearl'. At first I could not see much but as I got further into the clearing I could see several 'Pearls' most did not look like they had any intention of stopping but one looked a little different/fresher and thankfully it settled momentarily not far away. I managed one pretty poor photo. A female Brimstone then flew into view and fluttered low along the ground and settled on a small knee high Buckthorn sapling, where it kindly deposited an egg in front of me to round off my visit :D
Brimstone Ova
Brimstone Ova
I returned to the car as the butterflies seemed to be at their most active and, of course, there was now hardly a cloud in the sky. I ended my visit feeling quite satisfied that I had at least met one type of 'Pearl' for the first time and although I had not seen great numbers of butterflies, I had seen several species including a couple of surprises. It was not until I looked through my photos later on that I realised, after studying the identification guides, I had in fact seen both Small Pearl Bordered and Pearl Bordered Fritillary :oops: Maybe somebody could confirm that my id is correct :?:

Speckled Wood 1
Large White 1
Red Admiral 1
Common Blue 1 male
Dark Green Fritillary 1
Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary 1+
Pearl Bordered Fritillary 3+
Brimstone 5 female & 1 male
Ticks 0 :D

This brings my total species count for the year to 22

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Saturday 15.6.2013 My Local Patch

I thought today I should check on my local Small Tortoiseshell larvae and perhaps see if I could find any pupae. The wind was so strong that the grass and nettles were almost horizontal :shock: No sign at all of any larvae now apart from a couple of long since discarded webs. I was also unable to find any pupae :( I would imagine that the first of the new brood will be emerging within the next 2 weeks hopefully :D I will check them again in a few days.

Wednesday 19.6.2013 Botley Wood

I had a couple of hours spare today between a hospital appointment and parents evening. I thought I would check out my local site, Botley Wood. I spent a lot of time there last year, but this year I have only been once, having been slightly put off by regularly acquiring ticks :shock: I arrived at 2pm to hot and humid conditions, but the sunshine gradually gave way to more hazy cloud. One well worn Speckled Wood showed itself but surprisingly I did not see another butterfly :( This site is generally known as a late site, but I was expecting at least a Brimstone or Small Heath, they are normally a dead cert. Whilst contemplating my disappointment, my day was saved by a few moths :D I was pleased to see my first Mother Shipton, initially looking like a Grizzled Skipper. Two Speckled Yellow, a Silver Y and just two ticks :x , rounded off a disappointing day.
Mother Shipton 19.6.2013 Botley Wood
Mother Shipton 19.6.2013 Botley Wood
Speckled Yellow 19.6.2013 Botley Wood
Speckled Yellow 19.6.2013 Botley Wood
Thursday 20.6.2013 Southampton

Whilst working at Hightown Fire Station in Southampton today, I noticed a worn Painted Lady busy nectaring on a Hebe in the carpark. This is my first for a couple of years and is hopefully a genuine individual and not an artificially released one. It was still there and hour and a half later at 6.15pm when I left. I had my camera so managed a couple of pics. This increases my species tally for the year to 23 :D
Painted Lady 20.6.2013 Southampton
Painted Lady 20.6.2013 Southampton

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shot of the Mother Shipton Jack :D I reckon that your Painted Lady must be the real deal as they've been reported on the coast for the last couple of days quite close to Southampton to.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Wurzel wrote:Lovely shot of the Mother Shipton Jack :D I reckon that your Painted Lady must be the real deal as they've been reported on the coast for the last couple of days quite close to Southampton to.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Hi Wurzel

Thanks, lets hope we see lots more Painted Ladies this year :D

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Sunday 23.6.2013 My Local Patch

This morning I thought I should go and check my local Small Tortoiseshell Community. Last weekend there was hardly any signs that there had ever been any larvae at all. Emergence time must surely begin within the next week or so. I set off early, 7am in fact, in the hope that I could spend some time searching for pupae/emerging adults, undisturbed by passers by :wink: The location is a busy footpath/bridleway and I have had some very strange looks recently whilst scrutinising this Nettle Patch :lol:

The conditions were cool, windy and overcast so I was not expecting to see much in the way of emergence. I searched as thoroughly as one can and found absolutely nothing :( However, I noticed that the large clump of Thistle adjacent to the Nettle patch is now in flower as are the nearby Brambles. Hopefully when the Small Tortoiseshells do emerge they will not need to fly very far for nourishment. I would like to see some freshly emerged examples, so I will try and check everyday for the foreseeable future. Hopefully the abundant nectar sources will keep them from immediately disappearing into the sunset.
Peacock larvae
Peacock larvae
Nearly fully grown Peacock larvae
Nearly fully grown Peacock larvae
After failing to find any evidence of Small Tortoiseshells, I continued walking along the path. My searching was not totally in vain, as a little further on I found a group of Peacock larvae :D These looked to be almost fully grown and spread over several Nettle plants. How I had not seen these last weekend I have no idea :? As I continued down the path I spotted several more larval webs. The further I got down the path, it seemed the younger the larvae became. Once I got got to the end of the path I had a quick, unsuccessful look for roosting Large Skippers, a species I have yet to see this year. I then doubled back and rechecked all of the Peacock larvae locations, finding a couple more on the way. The smallest larvae I found were not the same colouration. I found a total of 7 larval groups :D There is a distinct separation between the Small Tortoiseshell and the Peacock area. I am not sure why this would be, perhaps it is coincidence or to do with the territory of the adult butterflies.
Vacated Peacock larval web with shed skins
Vacated Peacock larval web with shed skins
If only I had a better camera
If only I had a better camera
Not only did I find Peacock larvae, but also several largish clumps of nettle leaves attached together in the form of a shelter with a folded over tip to the Nettle plant. I was pretty sure these were Red Admiral. I carefully opened one of these shelters and sure enough there was a surprisingly large Red Admiral larva inside :D
I am not sure if these are Peacock or Small Tortoiseshell?
I am not sure if these are Peacock or Small Tortoiseshell?
Red Admiral larva
Red Admiral larva
All in all quite a productive hour and a half. Perhaps anybody reading this could advise me on the details of emergence for Small Tortoiseshell. Is there a typical time of day for emergence :?: Does it normally happen morning :?: nightime :?: afternoon :?:

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Great observations Paul :D

I would suggest that the small pale larvae are most likely to be Peacock, because eggs of this species are now starting to hatch, whereas most Small Tortoiseshell larvae should now be at an advanced stage of development (or will have pupated). However their appearance at the next moult will provide an answer.

Factors that can trigger emergence from a pupa include temperature and humidity (but also sometimes light levels in some species). I am presently waiting for my captive Small Tortoiseshell pupae to hatch, but if my Peacocks from last year are any indication, they may hatch from very early in the morning and then throughout the day if the first two triggers are there.

Vince

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Vince Massimo wrote:Great observations Paul :D

I would suggest that the small pale larvae are most likely to be Peacock, because eggs of this species are now starting to hatch, whereas most Small Tortoiseshell larvae should now be at an advanced stage of development (or will have pupated). However their appearance at the next moult will provide an answer.

Vince
Hi Vince

Thanks for the encouragement :D

I popped out again this evening to see how things are developing. However, 7pm was particularly busy this evening with Several dog walkers, groups of joggers, horses with riders, cyclists and parents with young children all making me feel somewhat self conscious. I still managed to locate what I believe to be the larval group which were paler two days ago. They have now become black, assumingly after a moult, confirming they are in fact Peacock larvae. The larvae that appeared to be almost fully grown on Sunday are still feeding. I have also located a couple more Peacock groups. One right amongst where the Small Tortoiseshell Larvae were situated and another in a more shaded aspect on the other side of the path.
Peacock larval group 23.6.2013
Peacock larval group 23.6.2013
The same larval group 25.6.2013
The same larval group 25.6.2013
There was no sign of any Small Tortoiseshell activity. I will try and fit in some early morning visits before work.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Wednesday 26.6.2013 Pitt Down, Nr Winchester

As I am working in Sparsholt, near Winchester, for a few weeks. I had a look to see what sites were nearby and came up with the Farley Mount Country Park, of which Pitt Down is a part. On Wednesday I could not resist popping in to have a look for an hour after work. The country park seems mainly wooded but has a downland area called Pitt Down. This down is unlike many chalk downland sites as it is not steeply sloping, I would describe it as gently rolling. I arrived quite late at 6pm but it was still sunny and warm :D Almost as soon as I walked across the carpark a flash of orange flew across in front of me. I was pretty sure this was my first Large Skipper of the year but it disappeared before I could get close enough for id. Once I got onto the down itself I was greeted by a couple of Small Heath. In the late evening sunshine these seemed much less active than I have seen elsewhere in the last few weeks.
Small Heath 26.6.2013 Pitt Down
Small Heath 26.6.2013 Pitt Down
There were also plenty of Burnet moths around but I am not sure which type. I then headed off for an area of Thistles I had spotted, where I was hoping to find Dark Green Fritillary, but these did not show themselves. I did, however, find a very worn male Brimstone. A worn Grizzled Skipper appeared next and posed for a while before disappearing at high speed. After a couple more Small Heath I decided to have a look around further along the road. On the way out of this enclosure another flash of orange appeared and settled down just out of sight in the late sunshine, near to the trees at the edge of the down. I managed to locate this individual, definitely my first Large Skipper of the year :D
Grizzled Skipper 26.6.2013 Pitt Down
Grizzled Skipper 26.6.2013 Pitt Down
Large Skipper 26.6.2013 Pitt Down
Large Skipper 26.6.2013 Pitt Down
I exited this first enclosure and walked up through the carpark and found a separate area of downland, fenced from the first. This area had lots of vetch growing and more long grass, so I was on the look out for Common Blues. By now it was nearly 7pm and I was not expecting to see much more. A couple more Small Heath flew up, disturbed from roost as I walked. Eventually, I came across a solitary, wellworn, female Common Blue roosting in typical head down pose on a grass stem. This is the first time I have managed to find a roosting common blue, but I found no others. Now it was time to head home after a pleasant hour, with my species tally for the year now up to 24 :D

Grizzled Skipper 1
Brimstone 1 male
Large Skipper 2
Small Heath 6
Common Blue 1 female

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Saturday 29.6.2013 My Local Patch

I thought I should check on my local Peacock larvae and see if there was any sign of Small Tortoiseshell activity. Saturday mornings is full up with football training with my boys, so my eldest son and I made and early visit at 7am. The last few days has seen our hayfever get steadily worse, so we set off with runny noses :( The grasses either side of the Bridleway are now almost at head height on my son and it is impossible to avoid brushing the grass releasing clouds of pollen :? Needless to say it was not long before we were both the worse for wear and returned home with nothing new to report and itchy eyes :( Time for a cup of tea and then off to footy.
Secluded area of Fleming Park
Secluded area of Fleming Park
First Meadow Brown of the year 29.6.2013 Fleming Park
First Meadow Brown of the year 29.6.2013 Fleming Park
A change of venue for my youngest sons football training meant we would be at Fleming Park in Eastleigh. So rather than my normal walk along the Itchen, whilst he does his stuff, I would have to find somewhere else to go for an hour or so. Fleming Park is primarily a sporting facility, but I had often wondered what was the other side of Monks Brook and the tree line which bisects the Park. Under bright sunshine (for a change) I headed off along the edge of Monks Brook and crossed the footbridge at the bottom of Fleming Park. As soon as I crossed the Brook I spotted 2 Peacock larval webs amongst the expanse of Nettles there ( it would seem to be a very good year for finding Peacock larvae). I walked back up the other side of the Brook and found my way into an area of the Park I have not been to before. This area of park has been allowed to become wilder in places with large Islands of Meadow intersected by wide mown highways which this morning were full of Saturday Joggers. I managed to dodge the joggers and found a corner which thankfully was not part of the route and was devoid of dog walkers as well. My first butterfly of the day was a pristine Small Tortoiseshell basking on a grass bank :D This corner of the park is quite secluded and incorporates a central 'meadow island' with a mown path up each side bounded by an embankment with abundant shrubbery offering shelter to the central meadow. I spent sometime here and found my first Meadow Brown of the year, one of 14 seen in this area and then several Small Tortoiseshells mainly nectaring upon a large Bramble bush in full bloom. After spending a while here I then set off around the rest of this wilder part of the park staying close to the perimeter. A couple more Small Tortoiseshells seen plus a beautiful beetle. There is certainly scope for further investigation of this part of the Park, I think training is back there next week so hopefully weather will still be good.
DSCN7553 - Copy.JPG
Small Tortoiseshell 29.6.2013 Fleming Park
Small Tortoiseshell 29.6.2013 Fleming Park
Later on I enroled my eldest son (as I was too busy) to go and check on our local Small Tortoiseshells to see if there was any activity. Bingo! :D :D :D he came back reporting at least one Small Tortoiseshell and possibly two Red Admirals nectaring ' on the Thistle patch, as he put it 'they were exactly where you said they would be Dad' 8) :wink: I now just needed to decide where to head on Sunday for a proper butterflying visit :?:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sounds like you've got our sons well trained Jack :wink: It's good to explore new places and find stuff for yourself :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Wurzel wrote:Sounds like you've got our sons well trained Jack :wink: It's good to explore new places and find stuff for yourself :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
I would like to think so Wurzel. It is just a shame that at the moment my youngest son does not seem to be able to grasp the basics, like getting home at the right time :x Kids...... Are girls any easier Wurzel :?:

Sunday 30.6.2013 My Local Small Tortoiseshells Emerge

After my son had reported back at least one Small Tortoiseshell on Saturday afternoon, I was itching to go and have a look myself. After my mornings butterflying slightly further afield (details of that in the next post) I returned early afternoon almost satisfied, I just needed a dose of Small Tortoiseshell to round things off :wink: I had a shower, a bite to eat and a drink and announced to my wife that I was just popping out again and would not be long. To which I think I noticed a slight rolling of the eyes and maybe a 'tut', all of which I ignored of course :D I cycled the short distance to the spot to save time.
'The' Thistle patch on Saturday morning fully out unlike most Thistles I have seen over the last week
'The' Thistle patch on Saturday morning fully out unlike most Thistles I have seen over the last week
As I approached the Thistle patch I could see a group of three butterflies duelling in the sky above :D
Small Tortoiseshell 30.6.2013 Hedge End
Small Tortoiseshell 30.6.2013 Hedge End
I counted 5 very fresh and very active Small Tortoiseshells around the Thistles as well as a Meadow Brown that had come to join in. I spent a while observing them nectaring and chasing each other around. I then went down the bridleway a little further to the point where my Peacock larvae are situated. Several more Small Tortoiseshells basked and frolicked in that small area.
DSCN7642 - Copy.JPG
Golden Ringed Dragonfly - just out of shot are a group of Peacock larvae
Golden Ringed Dragonfly - just out of shot are a group of Peacock larvae
Then I noticed a spectacular Golden Ringed dragonfly cruising up and down the same spot. The dragonfly then settled, by strange coincidence, on Nettles right next to the very group of Peacock larvae that I have been watching. Or perhaps it was not such a coincidence, maybe he had sensed a tasty meal in the offing :( I have had a bumper weekend for Small Tortoiseshells, hopefully a sign that this species fortunes, in this neck of the woods, are on the up :D Total count for this 15 minute visit 8 Small Tortoiseshells and a couple of Meadow Browns
The group of Peacock larvae shown previously after recent skin change next to where the Dragonfly settled!
The group of Peacock larvae shown previously after recent skin change next to where the Dragonfly settled!

Return to “Personal Diaries”