Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

I spent yesterday lunchtime at the Waldorf Shop in Ringwood. With mixed weather I wasn't surprised by the lack of butterflies - not one seen until the journey home (a couple of whites along the verges in Breamore). So while my wife perused the books and gifts I headed out and settled down to try and get some Bees and flies. At first I found them very frustrating as they don't stay still when nectaring and then just as you're in position they bu**er off to another flower! Once I'd sussed that I clicked away as quickly as I could and then hoped that something good would come out.
Once home the problem was identifying what I had photographed. As the girls were with Nanny and Dad Dad I pulled out all my books with information about Bees and Hoverflies...a very small collection of tomes numbering three. I used "The Natural History of Britain and Northern Europe" by Denis Owen, the "Towns and Gardens" edition as well as "Fields and Lowlands" from the same collection; and also Field Guide to the Butterflies and Other Insects of Britain part of the Readers Digest Nature Lover's Library.
Identification guides at the ready, coffee brewed I set down to some serious identification. It was a quite satisfying feeling to immerse myself in this new world - but the guides not being the best I'm sure there may be errors, hopefully less than the number of species I couldn't identify! As usual any help is greatly appreciated!
First up the not sures...
help needed with id
help needed with id
this was much smaller than the Bombus/carder bee below - different species or same but smaller?
this was much smaller than the Bombus/carder bee below - different species or same but smaller?
not a clue...
not a clue...
And this could be a Carder Bee - although the images in the "tomes" show it like a ball of ginger fluff!
Bombus species - carder bee?
Bombus species - carder bee?
Here are some more bees that I think I indentified...
Bombus lucorum
Bombus lucorum
Honey Bee - Apis mellifera
Honey Bee - Apis mellifera
So tomorrow the flies...

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

So to part 2...welcome back!
On Saturday during a dearth of butterflies I took some time to photograph various bees and flies. Having spent an engrossing hour or two trying to identify them using a very limited number of texts my girls returned form their grandparents so I had to call it a day. I was happy that I managed to identify most of the species but almost all are as close as I could get with the books that I had so feel free to point out any mistakes. I know a bad workman blames his tools - but I don't think that that holds if you ain't got any tools fullstop :D
Dronefly - Eristalis tenax
Dronefly - Eristalis tenax
? Hoverfly - Episyrphus balteatus ?
? Hoverfly - Episyrphus balteatus ?
Sunfly - Helophilus pendulus
Sunfly - Helophilus pendulus
? Common sympetrum - Sympetrum striolatum ?
? Common sympetrum - Sympetrum striolatum ?
I'm eagerly awaiting my new lens so hopefully I might be able to get out next weekend to start getting to grips with it!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Hi Wurzel, I'm not too good on bees or hoverflies but 2 web bookmarks i have are
http://www.hoverfly.org.uk/
http://www.bwars.com/Gallery.htm
All the best
Chris

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I've got those links on my favourites now cheers Chris they look really useful, I'm off to have a look now...

Cheers again

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The BWARS site is great - that Bombus species I thought was a carder bee is actually Bombus humilis...I'm off to check out the Hoverflies now...

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Wurzel,

Just had a look at your hoverfly pictures … nice work!

The first picture from your post of Sunday, 18th September is Eristalis tenax, the drone fly (Syrphidae). The third picture is another species of Eristalis but not tenax, I would have to see a specimen to id it. Just to complicate matters, it should be noted that markings are variable within the genus. If I get time I’ll have a look at some of the others.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Wurzel,

As promised, I have just taken a look at your hoverfly pictures from your post of Monday, 19th September.

The first one you have a query on, which you have tentatively identified as Episyrphus balteatus, is a Syrphus not Episyrphus, though I cannot identify it 100% without the specimen. The last one is Helophilus pendulus as you have already said.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers for the identification help Mark! The books I had to use are hang-overs from my teenage years and have about 6 pages in total "detailing" Hover flies. Can I just ask what resources you've used for identification so that I can get a copy myself! :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Wurzel,

Get hold of a copy of British Hoverflies - An Illustrated Identification Guide by Alan Stubbs and Steven Falk. This is Published by the British Entomological and Natural History Society. I have the first edition from 1983 though I know there is a later edition which I believe was published in 2002. A good place to purchase books of any entomological slant is Pemberley Books - http://www.pembooks.demon.co.uk. I have used them on many an occasion and find their service first class.

Good luck.

Kind regards. Mark

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers for the info Mark - I'll have a go at tracking it down when I can get some readies! :)

I bought a new lens last week and it turned up on Wednesday so I've been trying to get to grips with it. It's a hard process and my mind is still full of doubt as to whether it's the right one for me - but I suppose I just need to learn how to use it like I did with the last lens. It's a Sigma 70-300 DG, with "close focus/macro" and the hardest thing is remembering to stand back so I can actualy get my shot in focus! Still it works quite well with the flighty individuals as I don't need to approach them.
The main testing ground has been the garden and I've had to try out on flies and bees as there has been a dearth of butterflies here; though today I did manage to have a go at a Red Admiral which settled for an age. I've never really noticed the blue markings that they have, the chevron like markings on the edge of the wing in particular.
107 - Copy-1.JPG
132 - Copy-1.JPG
143 - Copy-1.JPG
163 - Copy-1.JPG
177 - Copy-1.JPG
Later in the afternoon I did manage to wangle a quick trip to Martin Down, more of that tomorrow...
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Yesterday I took my new lens out to Martin Down to try and get used to it. For as long as I've been photographing butterflies (about 2 years) I've been using a 18-55 lens so I've had to learn to either click shots as I get closer in or stalk right up to it. The biggest thing about my new lens is that getting up close isn't possible, I have to stand about 3 feet away, crank it to 300mm, lock my body stock still and then I can get the shot that I want...
I wasn't expecting much from yestreday as it wasn't as warm as it has been and there was quite a breeze blowing. I'd also physched myself up that the season was over.
Parking at Sillens Lane the first butterfly was a Small Tortoiseshell which allowed me to try out the lens. Another problem presented itself - I had to stand so far back that all kinds of things got between me and my quarry. Still the Small Tort was stunning.
203 - Copy-1.JPG
As I wandered along towards Borkerley there were also plenty of Meadow Brown flitting up form the path, a Green Veined White flew by and then 2 Red Admiral which were swiftly followed by a Peacock. Further along the path something more orange than the Meadow Browns caught my eye - my third Painted Lady of the year - and plus points for the lens as my usual tactic would have meant that it would have flown and I'd have missed the shot.
290 - Copy-1.JPG
I then got onto a purple patch with both male and female Small Copper, one looking very fresh, surrounded by Meadow Browns. It seems that their little corner was in the lee of the wind and so they could settle down to do what they wanted to do without getting blown all over the place!
314 - Copy-1.JPG
By the time I got to Borkerly Ditch my expectations were raised to almost high summer levels! More Meadow Browns, a Commn Blue male, two female Common Blues and a wornout looking male Adonis Blue!
352 - Copy-1.JPG
The verdict is out on the new lens - my gut tells me that it ain't sure so I'll have to put up a separate post to ask for some advice .
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Wurzel,

Less of that sort of language! :wink:
Wurzel wrote:I'd also physched myself up that the season was over.
Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

hi wurzel

do you set your new lens on macro when you are using it? i used the same lens, or very similar and used macro all the time. it takes a bit of getting used to but worth it in the end. i had never used a macro lens before.

here is a picture i took with my sigma 70-300 macro

hideandseek

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sorry Mark I didn't mean to offend you - I don't normally use such disgusting phrases :D

Cheers for the encouragement hideandseek - I did have it switched to macro, it just freaked me out not getting so close, I'll be having another crack next weekend (weather permitting) so hopefully I'll get the hang of it.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I took advantage of the fantastic weather over the weekend and also the fact that Lottie is over Chicken Pox (she was insisting she was "baby dragon chicken" for a short while but is now back to being just "baby dragon") to take the family to Stourhead. It was looking like it was going to be a good day as I counted 13 or 14 large dark butterflies on the journey there. While we enjoyed a picnic near the entrance we were joined by a Speckled Wood and a Comma.
168 - Copy.JPG
We then took a slightly different route and rather than following the herds down and around the lake we took the woodland walk alongside the house. Here there were a couple of Red Admiral who were tirelessly twirling ever upwards as we moved along hte wide and lush woodland ride.
191 - Copy.JPG
After the Ha-Ha we took a small, steep path down through the woodland and came out near the cattles grazing area near the ponds. Here the bramble bushes offered perches if not nectar for a Small Copper and some, what I think are, Common Darters(?).
235 - Copy.JPG
218 - Copy.JPG
Makes a change from Common Blue on a stick - I couldn't find a Brown Argus tree but this was almost as good ;-)
Makes a change from Common Blue on a stick - I couldn't find a Brown Argus tree but this was almost as good ;-)
By now little legs were tired and with the uphill stretch ahead of us we didn't stay here for long but it was nice to see that the Puple Herons were still in the same place, almost as if they hadn't moved! :wink: That has to be it for the season for me,surely? :(

Have a goodun

Wurzel :wink:

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Wurzel

I`m sorry to hear you are getting rid of your new lens. I was waiting for your results [pictures] before giving an opinion, or saying anything. I was hoping the manufacturer would have improved the lens since i purchased mine, it seems they have`nt. I hope you don`t think i was trying to mislead you into thinking it was something it was`nt, if so, i apologize, if i did.

Having said that i have some great pictures which i took with my Sigma 70-300, for which i will never get to repeat, unless i get really lucky, again.

good luck on your new purchase,

all the best,

nick

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Alright Nick (?) - no worries about the lens - I did give it go but there were a couple of problems I couldn't get round - not getting as close as I'm used too and the fact that it didn't have image stabilization/vibration reduction. In no way did I find what you wrote misleading, in fact I'm glad that you wrote what you did so that I gave it a fair chance and I did get some cracking shots but I ended up binning so, so many more that in the end I just had to bin it. I think that perhaps it was running before crawling as I went from a 55mm to 300mm, I think I'm going to look into a slightly smaller step up to a prime 100mm macro and see how I get on with that (slightly smaller step in lens, probably huge step in price!). Cheers :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

As the girls were on a play date in Burton I managed to nip out the few further miles to Stanpit Marsh. Once there I wandered about as much as I could which wasn't far as it was high tide and flooded. Still that was actually an advantage as it drove all teh birds close into the path. Amongst the Brent Geese there was the bird I came to see - my second Red Breasted Goose. It spent alot of the time preening and then mooching about until a Sparrowhawk put everything up!
As the tide started to drop I worked my way to Crouch Hill and set up the scope on the bench so I could have my lunch. Also present were usual waders - Dunlin, Oystercatcher, Grey plover, Ringed Plover, Redshank, Black Tailed Godwit, Bar Tailed Godwit, Lapwing and Curlew. Also there disappearing in and out of the creeks was a Spotted Redshank.
As I sat watched and munched I noticed numerous Red Admirals flying around. With the last week or two of torrential rain, frosts and gales I didn't think that there would be many butterflies left about so I contemplted not taking my camera, but force of habit saw me put it in the boot anyway. In the end I was glad that I did I finished up the birding and picked up the camera for a very brief foray to see what was about. The fore mentioned Red Admirals were on a mission and I only saw one of the many stop. So I settled for what I could find and the Ivy bushes seemed to hold lots of insects.
I was chuffed I got a feeding shot
I was chuffed I got a feeding shot
The dreaded Harlequin?
The dreaded Harlequin?
Finally I did find a butterfly, an aged Speckled Wood, who sat on a Bramble leaf looking disdainfully at me. His hairy old face reminded me of an old man, sitting there complaining that "things aren't good as they used to be".
Don't get Bramble leaves like you used too...
Don't get Bramble leaves like you used too...
034 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Introduction

Post by Wurzel »

Here is the first instalment of "Butterflies 2011 - Sites and Sights" as the original is expensive to purchase!
The preview of the book is available here http://www.blurb.com/books/2595151/pages/0#basic
Front Cover
Front Cover
Intro
Intro
Last year I wrote a book to showcase some of the butterfly shots that I'd managed to take. It was in the style of an identification guide and it meant that I was jumping around all over the place explaining about what I saw and where the photos were from. This time around I thought that it would be easier to focus on the site itself. Again there was some jumping around in my mind while I was writing it as the book is in alphabetical order and I didn't visit sites in that order and sometimes I visited more than once. Still, it was more enjoyable to write as I could cast my mind back to one or two days and relive the sights and sounds (and in some cases, smells too).

I am still using my Nikon D-60 with its Nikkor 18-55mm lens; with all shots fully zoomed in on macro setting and switching between auto and manual focus.

I dedicate this book to my wife and the girls who have again given me the help and acceptance that I needed.
Back cover
Back cover

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Alners Gorse

Post by Wurzel »

Alners Gorse
001.JPG
009 - Copy.JPG
012 - Copy.JPG
It is slightly ironic that the first site that I write about was actually the last site that I visited. Alners Gorse is a Butterfly Conservation Reserve and it is comprised of 14 hectares of scrubby grassland with veteran Oaks. It is a remnant of one of the old Blackmore Vale commons. The grassland is being restored to encourage Marsh Fritillary but I was there for the Hairstreaks. I am aware that this site houses three, possibly four, hairstreaks but my visit in mid August proved to be too late for White Letter, although I did manage to see two species.

Having arrived I wandered down the approach path and right in front on me at the bottom of the hill was a large bramble bush at which I took a left along a large hedgerow. I then spent a couple of hours doing laps from the gate at one end, along the hedgerow to this bramble bush and back. It did pay off as I managed to find both male (very worn by now) and female (much fresher and brighter) Brown Hairstreaks.

Highlights included a very worn old male missing his "tails", another male that flashed the upper side of his wings - a very unusual sight, a lovely open winged female sunning herself and another female that was trying to hide behind some Sloes! Usually I'd expect them on the brambles where their colourings helps them blend in, but today they seemed to prefer the thistles; the contrast of purple and orange made for much easier viewing and they were relatively easy to find.
030.JPG
131.JPG
029-1.JPG
124 - Copy.JPG
Having seen my target species I took to further exploration. Amongst the hedgerow edged pathways was a small area with conifers and rough almost heath like scrub. Here I found a surprising array of butterflies. Amongst the expected Meadow Brown, various whites and Gatekeepers were a few Small Heath as well as what seemed like several pairs of Common Blues. There were also Nymphalids here with Small Tortoiseshell, Red Admiral and Peacock all looking stunning in the midday sun. A Brimstone added yellow to the to the colour wheel and on my way back to the original hedge where I'd found the Brown Hairstreak a single, aged Purple Hairstreak completed my rainbow of butterflies.
It was then that I saw something out of place. It was far too yellow to be a Brimstone and had black edges to the wings? I was stunned, "surely not" I said - but it was, a Clouded Yellow. Now some years there are thousands of these visiting us from the continent, but this year wasn't one of those years so I could not believe my luck. I let it settle and it was happy for me to click away for what felt like half an hour. Having got about 100 plus shots I left it still in the same place, still marvelling at the strange "eye" on the underside, the canary colour and the peach legs; which it is thought act as camouflage protecting it from Crab Spiders when it nectars .

So that was Alners Gorse then - perhaps I'd saved the best until last?
064 - Copy.JPG
089 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Last edited by Wurzel on Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Personal Diaries”