Canon 5D Mk II

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Re: Canon 5D Mk II

Post by Gruditch »

Thanks Roger, :(

Our one is a female, but better not, nasty fine for that sort of thing. :)
She has a eye for cats as well, so could really upset that part of Bristol. We had a real close one with our old tom cat, he's a big lad, he got a bit brave and nearly paid the price. He kind of slinks around the garden now, crapping himself, all the while she is puffed up and dieing to get at him.

Gruditch
eccles

Post by eccles »

What a shame. Tomorrow being St Valentine's Day would have been an ideal time for a bit of owl match making. Talking of cats, how about if you let her out around my front garden for a few nights to put the wind up the moggie that keeps leaving its calling cards on my front lawn?
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Thanks Roger,
Only joking.

:D :roll:
Cheers

Roger
Gwenhwyfar
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Gwenhwyfar »

Sorry my feathered pals are not going anywhere :) Shame seeing as it's Valentines day and all tomorrow, I guess I shall be getting my customary zero cards on the door mat tommorrow! :(

I know what you mean about cats leaving calling cards though - I own a moggy and i've always said that there is nothing worse than cat poo!
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Wish I'd been able to go up there photographing their snowy in the snow recently. Saw footage onb the news and it did look an impressive site. Might pay a vist this sunday if the weather isn't too bad :)

As for the lenses yes there was a fair warning. Actually I'm stocking up on currencies when the rates are good at present in advance of several trips abroad so didn't really have the free cash for lenses at present. Only one I was really serious about for this year was the 70-200
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Somewhere way back in this thread, Bill S asked about using the Canon 70-200 F4 IS, with an Extension tube.

Well unlike the 100-400, it doesn't work well with the Canon EF 25II - Extension tube, that's for sure. :(
I did however try it today, with a Sigma x1.4 converter. That was a pretty good mobile set up for butterflying, very impressed. :D

For unsettled mobile butterflies, on a hot day, this set up could be fantastic.

I usually like to use a different style, but I can see myself using the 70-200 plus converter when conditions are right. And of cause when I can get it away from Lisa.

Gruditch
eccles

Post by eccles »

Lenses are often highly tuned to their focussing range, and I wouldn't mind betting this is why many of them have a rather limited close focussing ability because performance would otherwise slip at close range. Can you use the TC with the 100-400? A pal of mine has the new Sony 70-400 and that works very nicely with a Sigma 1.4x EX TC.
JKT

Post by JKT »

It could be the performance, but I bet the focusing would get quite interesting if any zooming was involved. What exactly was the problem?
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

eccles wrote:Can you use the TC with the 100-400? A pal of mine has the new Sony 70-400 and that works very nicely with a Sigma 1.4x EX TC.
You will lose AF using a x1.4 and 10-400, on all Canon body's, except the 1 series.
JKT wrote:It could be the performance, but I bet the focusing would get quite interesting if any zooming was involved. What exactly was the problem?

It was like using Canon MP-E65 f/2.8 1-5 x Macro, where you have a fixed focusing distance. It works but not very practical in the field.

Gruditch
eccles

Post by eccles »

You will lose AF using a x1.4 and 10-400, on all Canon body's, except the 1 series.
Hmm. Sounds like Sigma TCs operate differently on Canon than Sony. Alpha mount Sigma 1.4x TCs aren't chipped, so they pass on focal length and aperture info direct from the lens to the camera. This means that the camera doesn't apply aperture based AF restrictions and AF still works so long as the light is ok. Unfortunately for me, the front element of the TC sticks forward of the mount and means that it won't fit a lot of lenses where the rear element is not recessed. I have to use the less optically able Kenko (not coffee) Pro300 for lenses other than the Sigma 100-300 F4.
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

You can simply put a bit of tape over some of the contacts to allow AF:

http://www.allensphotoblog.com/blog1/2006/12/

I have tried it and it does work... it's pretty poor though even in bright light and the IQ does suffer a lot. Tried it a couple of times but the results are just a waste of time TBH.
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

Gruditch wrote:Somewhere way back in this thread, Bill S asked about using the Canon 70-200 F4 IS, with an Extension tube.

Well unlike the 100-400, it doesn't work well with the Canon EF 25II - Extension tube, that's for sure. :(
I did however try it today, with a Sigma x1.4 converter. That was a pretty good mobile set up for butterflying, very impressed. :D

For unsettled mobile butterflies, on a hot day, this set up could be fantastic.

I usually like to use a different style, but I can see myself using the 70-200 plus converter when conditions are right. And of cause when I can get it away from Lisa.

Gruditch
Thanks for the update Gary! :)

Bill

Return to “Photography”