Willrow

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: Willrow

Post by bugboy »

Willrow wrote:
bugboy wrote:I'll be getting a dose of Heath Frits
I hope you realise there is no known cure Buggy :roll:
I'm quite happy to live with the addiction, some addictions are very good for the soul! :)

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Wonderful images of the Heath Fritillaries Bill :)

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

A great set of pictures there Bill,makes the expensive bridge toll worthwhile i'm sure you'll agree.Glad you met up with Phil and Rosalyn again. We have Heath Frits in Essex,i can feel a visit coming up this week or next...

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers for the info Willrow - luckily I made a trip to East Blean at the weekend so I now have my Heaths :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Pauline wrote:Some wonderful images posted recently Bill. I particularly like the HF, esp. .... 630 :mrgreen: and the scenery shots add context (I could actually imagine them as paintings hung on my wall :D ) ..... and I, too, liked the last PBF shot :D
Many thanks Pauline, I'll make a modern day John Constable yet :wink:
bugboy wrote: some addictions are very good for the soul! :)
Agreed Buggy...butterfly addiction...has a nice ring to it :)
Maximus wrote:Wonderful images of the Heath Fritillaries Bill :)
Thank you Mike, Heath Fritillary make lovely photo subjects...
essexbuzzard wrote:We have Heath Frits in Essex,i can feel a visit coming up this week or next...
I can sense you may now have recovered from your holiday enough to enjoy your local stuff Mark :wink:
Wurzel wrote:I made a trip to East Blean at the weekend so I now have my Heaths :D
Glad to hear you made it Wurz!!!

Cheers everyone,

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Okay lets catch up a bit...last Sunday I decided on a whim to ignore the rather poor weather forecast and venture down to the Alun Valley, Near Bridgend which is likely to be the last remaining colony of the nationally threatened High Brown Fritillary in Wales. Arriving mid-morning I got soaked walking through tall grasses and bracken :roll: and was rather surprised to find some Heritage Coast staff and volunteers cutting 'corridors' through the bracken, this cutting is usually done earlier and is essential site management as it provides flightways and exposes lots of Spear & Marsh Thistle for HBF & Dark Green Fritillary to nectar on. Within ten minutes of arriving in prime frit habitat I saw my first 2 DGF feeding on the purple :) this was quickly followed by disturbing my first three Meadow Brown of the year, all of them probably taking their maiden flights. A couple of Large Skipper also put in a brief appearance before skitting off into the rank grasses.

My morning search for HBF was unsuccessful, but several other DGF and Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary were encountered as was my first sighting of Red Admiral which has somehow eluded me up until now, thinking about it I cannot remember going almost halfway through June before seeing the species :shock: it was to be the first of five seen during the day. I spent some time exchanging information with the volunteers then had lunch and headed up to the prime 'hot-spot' for the frits and bumped into DavidM...yes! the very one...UKB's very own :) Myself and David spent until early evening generally checking every frit in the hope of recording our first High Brown Fritillary of the year, we both agreed we were probably a little early, the Alun Valley is often a few days behind the Devon sites (where they were seen towards the end of last week) but I would think the first ones are now out on the site.

I counted 14 species during my visit and apart from those already mentioned there were also the following:- Brimstone, Large, Small & Green-veined White, Common Blue, Painted Lady, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock (and larval webs) plus several Speckled Wood. My tally for Dark Green Fritillary was around twelve, the highlight being a freshly emerged female that I narrowly avoided stepping on...I'm so relieved that David managed to warn me in time...phew! just imagine how I'd have felt :shock: :( never mind the poor insect :roll:
One lucky insect - female Dark Green Fritillary
One lucky insect - female Dark Green Fritillary
Female Dark Green Fritillary
Female Dark Green Fritillary
Dark Green Fritillary fully displayed
Dark Green Fritillary fully displayed
Six Painted Lady were seen during the day and I'm wondering if this could possibly be the vanguard of an imminent invasion to rival 2009...doesn't that sound good :wink: Incidentally just like the Red Admiral mentioned above these were the first I've seen this year, surprisingly I've had a rather sparse vanessid year up until this past few days, even Comma have only been counted on one hand :o
One of six Painted Lady counted during the day
One of six Painted Lady counted during the day
Even though High Brown Fritillary were probably absent it was still a very interesting day and as always I enjoyed David's company and our usual banter :P :lol:

For those interested there is a public access site on Old Castle Down and I would advise anyone visiting the area for the frits to check around Grid Ref: SS903 760 and park up at SS8984 7630 - this info is provided here hopefully to save me with a deluge of requests for information which takes up precious summer time answering - you know how it is this time of year don't you folks :wink: but I sincerely hope the grid refs help if needed.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Those Dark Greens are exquisit, I've never seen freshly emerged animals, just worn from days of activity.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Willrow, I'm catching up on postings and after a rather fruitless search for Fritillaries at Gait Barrow Tuesday I was amazed When I saw your cracking shots of the Dark Green Frit . :mrgreen:
Every thing is so slow getting moving here, I think we'll have to wait another couple of weeks before we see even the Meadow Brown I'm really glad I saw one whilst on Holiday. Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

Excellent reportage, Bill.

Yes, High Browns will be flying there right now, and with Thursday and Friday set fair, I fully expect the first ones to be formally identified (perhaps by your good self?)

Unfortunately, I'll be at work before the weather breaks yet again for the weekend. :(

2015 is turning into a virtual write-off for those bound to their desks Monday to Friday. It's such a contrast to last year where practically every weekend provided ideal conditions.

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

bugboy wrote:Those Dark Greens are exquisit, I've never seen freshly emerged animals, just worn from days of activity.
Always a treat to stumble (literally on this occasion :roll: ) freshly emerged insects Buggy.
Goldie M wrote:I was amazed When I saw your cracking shots of the Dark Green Frit . :mrgreen:
Thanks Goldie, I'm sure your frits will appear soon and you'll enjoy them all the more when they do :wink:
David M wrote:Excellent reportage, Bill.

Yes, High Browns will be flying there right now, and with Thursday and Friday set fair, I fully expect the first ones to be formally identified (perhaps by your good self?)
I'm very tempted to pop down after lunch David, this weather is too good to waste...trouble is my feet havn't touched this week and there are some domestics that have to be done - its not all play David :wink: :lol:

Kind Regards,

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic Dark Greens Willrow :D Oh to be able to "just pop in over lunch" for a High Brown :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Having to cancel a visit to the Great Orme in North Wales for Silver-studded Blue form caernensis a couple of weeks ago, I decided to head down to St Govan's, Pembrokeshire last Monday to re-visit southern Wales only other location with colonies. Knowing that the military ranges at Castlemartin would place the core area for S-sB out of bounds (during weekdays) I concentrated my visit in an area that myself and DavidM surveyed all to briefly last year yet discovered a small amount of insects, this year I wanted to define the area and habitat during a more detailed search and I was not to be disappointed with my findings, the short cwm (Welsh for valley) faces north-easterly and is not usually the aspect preferred by the species, so naturally the limestone that prevails in the cwm offers sufficient heat from radiation to suit.

Below is an image of the entrance to the coastal cwm where the Silver-studded Blue are found, it's far from typical of the species more usual habitat, in fact this particular colony is fascinating because of it's difference, I only wish it was closer than the 100+ miles from home - then I could really do it full justice!
Silver-studded Blue location
Silver-studded Blue location
It took me best part of half hour to locate the first butterfly, a very active insect that flitted among the many varied flowers on the valley floor, but my search was rewarded by at least a further twelve males, all were in rather nice condition which suggested a recent emergence :)
Male Silver-studded Blue
Male Silver-studded Blue
Another male S-sB showing half n' half
Another male S-sB showing half n' half
My search provided at least three certain female Silver-studded Blue but with many Common Blue also sharing the site I could have missed a few...well so could have you :shock:
One of the female S-s Blues?
One of the female S-s Blues?
The warmth generated by the limestone mean't the insects were constantly moving from one nectaring source to another, I took one photo and decided to add another species to the British list; the Silver-studded Blur :lol:
Rare image of the Silver-studded Blur!!!
Rare image of the Silver-studded Blur!!!
Male Silver-studded on old bracken litter
Male Silver-studded on old bracken litter
So just to recap, my tally was at least 13 males and 3 females. I reluctantly left the small cwm in mid-afternoon having lost myself in time for over five hours :shock: I wanted to spend some time taking in the beautiful scenery and just generally mooching...you know how it is, so many discoveries to enjoy...here are a few in picture form :wink:

Below is a mystery creature or thing, can you see the circular disc, perhaps it's an alein spacecraft and the occupants have legged it after a crash landing...note the footprints :shock: there could be little green men running around the Welsh countryside...then again we might have to come down to earth and accept it's just one of the many large (2feet plus Diameter) Jellyfish washed up on Broadhaven Beach...oh! the disappointment I hear you all saying :lol:
Alien or Jellyfish...you decide!
Alien or Jellyfish...you decide!
I also had a quick looksee around Bosherton Lily Ponds before my journey home and got a few pics of a young pike, these voracious predators can remain absolutely motionless hidden by their incredible suit of camouflage in the weeds and rushes then when an unexpecting alien pops by...its oops, swollow...next :shock: :cry:
Freshwater shark hidden among weeds
Freshwater shark hidden among weeds
Super Fulmar on cliffs
Super Fulmar on cliffs
Before I finish this report, I must mention I finally saw two Wall while sat enjoying the Fulmar's and a Kit-Kat :wink: I've not had any success with the butterfly this year until going coastal, sadly the species is becoming more coastal as time and climate change dictates, both insects were wragged and there will probably be a break now before we see others, neither critter offered photo's worth taking...in fact they were both scruffy sods :lol:

Last edited by Willrow on Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

David M

Post by David M »

You did well to find 15+, Bill, given how late this year has been regarding emergences.

I believe we visited on the last weekend of June in 2014 when we saw over a hundred, so if that represented their apogee last year, I suspect 6th-9th July will do likewise this year, so to find a fair few three weeks prior to that point is good going!

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Thanks David, these 15+ insects were only from Cwm Mere (or should I phrase it merely from the cwm :lol: )...ahem! I doubt that time will allow for another visit to Pembrokeshire this year to survey the species core area :(

Regards,

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Just seen your shots of the DGF Bill. Aren't they just amazing when they are fresh :D Your lovely images really do them justice :D Great photo of the Pike and Kittiwake too - certainly adds a bit more interest and variety and paints a more complete picture of the outing.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Beautiful female DGF photo. I haven't seen any yet this year but your photo has certainly encouraged me to go looking! :)

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Pauline wrote::D Great photo of the Pike and Kittiwake too
Apologies for any confusion Pauline, I got my photo file names mixed up (again!) and lumped all the seabird shots I took under Kittiwake, it's actually a Fulmar :roll: I often mix things up like that...it comes easily to me :lol:

Thank you for viewing and your nice comments :wink:

Regards,

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Katrina wrote:Beautiful female DGF photo. I haven't seen any yet this year but your photo has certainly encouraged me to go looking! :)
That's very kind of you Katrina, when you do see Dark Green Fritillary the wait will have been undoubtedly worth it :wink:

BW's

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Willrow
Just catching up with your diary :D Seeing your beautiful Dark Green Fritillaries has given me some Oomph to get out and find some, hopefully they are out at my local site.

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

jackz432r wrote:Hi Willrow
Just catching up with your diary :D Seeing your beautiful Dark Green Fritillaries has given me some Oomph to get out and find some, hopefully they are out at my local site.
Thanks Jack, they certainly are beautiful butterflies...lets hope they are now out on your local site...and your in full Oomph mode :lol:

Return to “Personal Diaries”