Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks everybody for your comments, it was a great trip, the Broads are great, we tried to fit in has much has we could, my Husband wanted to see the Marsh Harrier so we also visited Strumpshaw Fen, I was looking for more Swallow Tails (has you do) :D but none were to be seen there, the Painted Lady's were also at Strumpshaw, everybody we spoke to was disappointed about not seeing the Swallow Tails, so I told them where I'd seen them, hope fully they went there and got some shots.

I also saw Dragon Fly's they were every where I managed to get a shot of one which I've posted also a Silver Y moth, I'm not too well up on Dragon Fly's though so I don't know it's name :D

Monday I Finnished all the ironing so we could pop up to Gait Barrow, that's the only trouble when coming back after holiday's you've to sort the Garden out and get the clothes sorted :D I was hoping to get a shot of a Pearl, I did see one has it shot passed us but that was it, talking to other people there and they'd had no luck either, it's been a very bad season up there so far this year, one can only hope the weather picks up. I did see lots of Moths, Cinnabar, Brown Silver Line, Speckled Yellow, and the rare Sable moth, also loads of Brimstone up to their usual antic's, :D and for the first time at this time of year Painted Ladies. Also there were CB and DSkipper, so the trip wasn't too bad :D Goldie :D
Attachments
Brimstones.jpeg
Dragon Fly.jpg
IMG_0110.jpg
Dragon Fly.jpg

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Sounds like a lovely holiday with some very photgenic critters Goldie :D . Your Dragonflies are a Broad Bodied Chaser in the first image and a female Black tailed Skimmer in the second :)

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Bugboy, I like to put names to my photos so that's great, we did see some great things, it was a bit of a let down to come home and find nothing much here although I've seen a Red Admiral and Large Skipper at Hall Lee Brook since. Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Brimstones Goldie and great Dragonflies - I'd like to see those Black-tailed Skimmers :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, glad you liked the Brimstones :D It seems every time I go to Gait Barrow I drop in in on their courtships :D ( this time of year any way). I don't know too much about Dragon Fly's but they were every where at Hickling Broad but even more so at Strumpshaw Fen for anybody interested in them. :)

When I came back from holiday I went to Hall-Lee-Brook we walked round on all the paths and I was pleased to see a large Skipper and a Red Admiral, the RA was a bit of a surprise, we don't see many of them until August or September up here and it was also ab biabata which I did see quite a few of last year it looks like I'll have to keep my eyes open at HLB it seems to throw up quite a lot of Abs. No sign of the Orange Tips male or female, I just hope their back next year, I didn't see any females there this year which was a surprise after seeing so many last year.

The weather here has been awful, windy again and cold with it, yesterday it rained all day we tried to sort the garden out in between showers, I keep checking the weather out but it's not been good for the Lakes. We plan on going to Meathop moss for the Large Heath, it's one I've not seen yet and I believe they fly even when it's very cloudy so if we can just get one nice fine day we'll be off and if any one sees a Purple E please let me know and we'll be off to Corby :lol: Goldie :D
Attachments
Large Skipper Hall Lee Brook GM
Large Skipper Hall Lee Brook GM
Red Admiral ab biabata Hall Lee Brook GM
Red Admiral ab biabata Hall Lee Brook GM
Last edited by Goldie M on Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Nice report Goldie...and good luck with Large Heath I'm planning on seeing the species myself pretty soon :wink:

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

It's been quite a while since I posted, I've not been out and about much,( only locally) I did go back to Gait Barrow once and I saw Small PBF but they were not landing on any thing, the weather was cloudy and usually when the Sun appears they fly, they did, straight into the long grass and hedges :( The day carried on like that, so that's why I've not been out and about much. I decided to wait hoping they were just late coming out before I ventured too far again.

I spoke to the Ranger at Gait Barrow and he was saying what a bad season it's been so far , I can agree with that , we've had no Butterflies to speak of in the gardens around here and at Hall-Lee-Brook the only Butterflies I've seen so far are the ones I posted last. No Whites Small/Large/or Green Veined since I posted my last ones :( Not good news!

Today I thought great weather, nearly July we can visit Meathop Moss and see if the Large Heath are out yet, I'd never seen them so I was looking forward to the visit. I didn't take into account the temperatures :roll:
We set off 9.30am M61, then onto M6 at Exit 36 we moved onto the A590 towards Barrow and at the round about we took a left down the road,( if anybody goes that way don't, do what we did :oops: we should have turned left at the cycle route but kept straight on. :roll:
Any way we arrived finally and found the Path rather over grown, apart from that the LH's were flying and that's all they did they no sooner landed then they took off again :) so my photo's are very hit and miss, it was a case of trying to get a photo has they flashed passed us, I know the photos are not so good but it's the first time I've seen the LH so I'm still going to keep them until I can get back there to take better ones :)
The weather was very humid and there wasn't a breath of air so we had to retreat to the car and the air conditioning and Home.Goldie :D
Attachments
Large Heath (1).jpg
Large Heath (3).jpg
Large Heath (4).jpg

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

It's great that you got to see them Goldie, not something I have ever achieved, and yes, you should keep those shots of their aerial acrobatics :D . Good to hear from you again :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Goldie,
I've never seen a Large Heath, but i have seen many images of them on here. I like your in flight
images, you have managed to freeze them in the air. Beautiful and unusual !.
Don't forget Fermyn Woods, time for PE is imminent.

Best wishes,
TREVOR.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Pauline, I'm posting to you at the same time, :D I hope you get to see them some time, mean time lovely shots your posting :D

Hi! Trevor, thanks for your input, It was very hot today I didn't stay at the Moss as long has I wanted too, but the humidity got to me and my Husband who's very chesty so we left but I plan going back there some time in July :D Meantime I can't wait to see the PE at Corby, as soon as it's seen we're going to go for three nights Hope fully so if you hear anything please let me know. Goldie :D

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

It's many years since I've been to Meathop Moss and I do remember driving round in circles until we found the entrance on the Eastern side!

It was very tricky getting photos, as there was only a narrow board-walk and it needed a lot of luck for one to stop near enough for a photo. I think your in-flight shots have captured the 'atmosphere' very well and, after all, if we want a highly detailed view we can always turn to a reference book!

My more recent visits for Large Heath have been to Whixall Moss in Shropshire and Cors Caron (Tregaron) in Wales, where I found that they seemed to settle down for photos in the late afternoon. I think that it's always best to avoid the heat of the day, both for your own comfort :) and because the butterflies tend to be hyper-active in the hot sunshine.

Mike

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

You've hit the nail on the head with your comments Mike, we went too early but I'd planned on going to Whitbarrow as well, too hot!
we left about 2pm and we were both exhausted but I was glad I'd seen them and surprised the way they were flying that I'd got any thing :D
I've you to thank for that, your input about speed on the camera was great and I've sorted the camera so that I can take quick shots if the Butterflies slow down at all, which they tend to do if they find another one to mate with, just a pity they weren't a bit clearer,
still it's another first for me Goldie :D

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

You should definately keep those shots of the Large Heath, they are souvenirs of a lifer :D

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie, great news that you got to see your Large Heaths. I like those in flight photos, particularly the middle one. Also its not often you get to see the topside of a Large Heath so well done.

Cheers,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I agree with Bugboy, always keep a lifer shot...until you can get a better one, which I'm sure you will now that you've seen one, the next time you go looking there'll be hundreds :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks everyone now I don't feel so disappointed about the shots :D I hope to go back there again some time in July hope fully Goldie :D

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

That's the attitude Goldie :) and when you go back as Wurz says there'll be hundreds of em' just waiting for you :wink:

Regards,

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I hope so Bill, at least I now know my way there now :D Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Nothing too much to report on here at present, I did see Burnett's for the first time at Hall-Lee-Brook which is good, Meadow Brown's have also put in an appearance there, no Small Skippers yet are Gate Keeper's but a few more Red Admiral's have appeared also a Small Tortoiseshell and a really fresh looking Comma, we don't get much more up here so when I see every ones postings I long to move South :( Plus I'm stuck in for a week now ( some thing I've eaton) so I'm fed up, looking on the bright side I've still got my Kent break to come. Goldie :D
Attachments
Six Spot Burnett.jpg
Comma.jpg
Six Spot Burnett (1).jpg

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Goldie M wrote:we don't get much more up here so when I see every ones postings I long to move South. Plus I'm stuck in for a week now ( some thing I've eaton) so I'm fed up, ....
Further South, we long for Northern Brown Argus, Mountain Ringlet, Scotch Argus.... grass is always greener..... :)

Sorry you're stuck at present and hope better soon - at least the weather isn't up to much either.

Mike

Return to “Personal Diaries”