Willrow

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Willrow

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Small Pearls Willrow :D You'll have to teach me the secret phrase to get them to behave like that for me :wink:

Have a goodun
Wurzel

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Superb SPBF shots Bill :) also another Marshie on an Orchid :D and the Chimney Sweeper's a lovely looking moth.

Mike

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Returned home on the weekend from a short break in North Wales where I had hoped to visit the Great Orme and check out the Silver-studded Blue but sadly on this occasion it was not to be owing to unseen circumstances :( perhaps next time.

On Sunday I had pre-arranged to meet Phil Bromley and Rosalyn who most of you know from their posting and lovely images on UK Butterflies - they are having a 'Fritillary year' this year and travelled down from Peterborough especially to see Aberbargoed Grasslands wonderful Marsh Fritillaries :) with Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary thrown in as a little bonus...how generous is that :lol: Our session went into evening and we watched several of both species going to roost and took the opportunity to get some nice images...and as Phil & Ros are both Canon DSLR 'big-shots'...(aghh...I'll get my coat :roll: :lol: ) I'm sure we'll see some of those images posted over the next few days once they get time...and let me say here I'm expecting big things...competition stuff at the very least :shock: :wink: the only thing I will concede to effecting top quality image quality was that it was a bit breezy...but I won't accept that as a convenient excuse Phil Bromley... :lol: :P and that will teach you for calling my trusty Panasonic FZ150 'Mickey Mouse'... :lol: :lol:
Settling Marsh Fritillary
Settling Marsh Fritillary
Marsh Fritillary
Marsh Fritillary
We decided to return earlyish on Monday morning to perhaps catch some late rising frits, but I know from past experience that Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary are on the wing as early as weather conditions permit - usually in advance of the Marsh Fritillary and as I entered the core pasture just before the arrival of Phil & Ros at about 7.30 the first SP-bF was seen. MF were still having a bit of a sleep-in (similar to someone else who will remain nameless :oops: :wink: ) still when we checked out the same roosting area as the evening before we discovered a Marsh Fritillary still in-situ!
Late rising Marshy on bracken bed!
Late rising Marshy on bracken bed!
I've had a bit of a play around with one of the evening session images taken of a Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary for fun, I've just left the butterfly on a portion of bracken frond for effect, the question is does it appear too 'edited'...is it realistically acceptable :!:
Does this image of a SP-bF look too unnatural?
Does this image of a SP-bF look too unnatural?
Mid-morning Phil & Rosalyn had to leave for their long journey home and we said our farewells, another thoroughly enjoyable time spent in the good company of two knowledgeable and avid butterflyers...but I hope to spend another few adventures with them both before the summers over...so watch this space :) :wink:

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"
Last edited by Willrow on Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Hi Bill,

Something's gone awry with your captions, as that first pic is clearly a Marsh Frit!

That last SPBF is a wonderful specimen but the bracken does seem to be suspended on 'sky hooks'. Perhaps just an indication of support would make it seem more realistic. A lovely shot, nevertheless :)

Mike

David M

Post by David M »

Are you taking the image from directly above the SPBF, Bill?

kevling

Post by kevling »

Lovely photos of the SPBF Bill.

Thanks for your post to my PD. Your trip to Norfolk would almost be as far as mine to Aberbargoed, but looking at what you see there perhaps it should be on my wishlist for next year.

Regards Kev

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Bill
Your last image of the SPBF is both unusual and beautiful.
As for your camera, you won't get ' DSLR neck ' from carrying around all day !. A friend of mine
has one and it weighs a ton.

All the best,
TREVOR.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great report and lovely photos Bill :D , I am really envious of you having Marsh Frits and SPBF so close to you :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Neil.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Great shots of the Marsh Fritillaries and Small Pearl-Bordered Frits Bill :) The last image is superb :)

Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I don't know about natural or not more absolutey cracking Small Pearl Willrow :D :mrgreen:
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Excellent photos!

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Mike (Oxon), David, Kev, Trevor, Neil, Mike (Maximus), Wurz and Katrina your all very kind with your positive comments and thank you for taking time out to visit my Personal Diary :wink:

Kind Regards,

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

After a little consideration late on Tuesday evening I decided on an early start Wednesday and visit Haddon Hill on the Devon/Somerset border the weather forecast being reasonably favourable for the warmth loving Heath Fritillary. This lovely little fritillary is close to my heart and I love visiting the combes of Exmoor National Park to see the species. I arrived at the hill just before 9am and was rather surprised with the strength and edge to the north-easterly wind, it mean't wearing a fleece for the first couple of hours...flaming June 8) :roll: On site I located my first HF within twenty minutes and I'm glad the insect knows what location provides the most shelter and warmth :) by lunch time my count had just reached double figures. I spent a magical hour sat watching them nectaring on buttercups in an area no bigger than 10 sq ft, they seemed absolutely unbovvered :P by my presence, literally at my feet...a delight :)
Haddon Hill with Exmoor ponies - Wimbleball Lake is in background
Haddon Hill with Exmoor ponies - Wimbleball Lake is in background
Heath Fritillary at rest
Heath Fritillary at rest
Closed wing shot of Heath Frit...
Closed wing shot of Heath Frit...
Perfect pose of Heath Fritillary on bracken frond
Perfect pose of Heath Fritillary on bracken frond
The views from Haddon Hill are very pretty, one hamlet with it's old church spire always captures my attention...
Typical Exmoor scene
Typical Exmoor scene
Heath Frit perched out of the wind
Heath Frit perched out of the wind
I checked out areas of potential for other HF on the way back to my car for lunch and although they looked suitable, not a solitary insect was seen, Heath Fritillary have distinct and particular needs for habitat and Jeremy Thomas gives a fine overview of this habitat in his classic book The Butterflies of Britain & Ireland and I recommmend reading it should you want further information about the species.

Here are a couple more HF pics I could not omit from this trip report :wink: My final tally of Heath Fritillary was around 14, this butterfly still needs every help we can possibly provide, the colonies left on Exmoor are precious!
Heath Fritillary on Whortleberry (Bilberry/Whimberry).
Heath Fritillary on Whortleberry (Bilberry/Whimberry).
HF reclining on sapling
HF reclining on sapling
Green Hairstreak seem to enjoy the same habitat as HF on Exmoor and I saw at least twenty during my visit, when they are not engaging in aerial warfare with others of their tribe they present themselves for the odd photo-take or two...do take advantage...I always do :P
There's no flies on this Green Hairstreak...!!!
There's no flies on this Green Hairstreak...!!!
Apart from a couple of dozen Small Heath the only other butterfly species I saw was a Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary not even a white was seen otherwise :shock:
Bramble flowers are in bloom now and SP-b Frits take advantage...
Bramble flowers are in bloom now and SP-b Frits take advantage...
Before my visit came to a close I came upon a Pollination Experiment being carried out by the University of Bristol, it might be of interest to read the notice board pic rather than me explaining, its encouraging to know that things are being monitored :)
Pollination monitoring info...
Pollination monitoring info...

I left Haddon Hill at 6.30 with a feeling of happy satisfaction, how could I feel otherwise having spent a lovely June day in the company of such special critters :) :wink:

kevling

Post by kevling »

Bill,

Lovely pictures of the Heath Frits. I'm hoping to get my fill of them during the next week.

Regards Kev

William

Post by William »

Hi Bill,

Excellent photos as ever, from a site I always enjoy visiting (just 15 minutes from me :D ), I too reached a total of 14 on Sunday! The Small Pearl - Bordered Fritillary is a notable record, they're found at the BC reserve down the road (Haddon Moor) and seem to be making a return around the Reservoir below, but I don't think they've been recorded from Haddon Hill proper. I'm sure David Ayling (the county recorder) would love to know!

BWs,

William

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Lovely report with some gorgeous pictures. I'll be getting a dose of Heath Frits next week hopefully which will be my first experience of them. After reading your report I'm looking forward to meeting them even more :) !

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic Heaths Willrow :mrgreen: I'd love to visit Haddon Hill as it's about 100 miles less of a round trip than East Blean but I wouldn't know how to get there - blooming library has every map under the sun apart from that one plus my SatNav only uses postcodes...oh well

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Oh, how I wish I had days off during the week!!

This year is fast becoming a write off for me, but I derive encouragement from posts such as yours showing that whilst I may not be personally available to travel like in years gone by, the butterflies are still there.

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

kevling wrote: I'm hoping to get my fill of them during the next week
You can never get your fill of Heath Fritillary Kev...but I know what you mean...good luck :D
William wrote:Hi Bill,

Excellent photos as ever, from a site I always enjoy visiting (just 15 minutes from me :D ), I too reached a total of 14 on Sunday! The Small Pearl - Bordered Fritillary is a notable record, they're found at the BC reserve down the road (Haddon Moor) and seem to be making a return around the Reservoir below, but I don't think they've been recorded from Haddon Hill proper. I'm sure David Ayling (the county recorder) would love to know!

BWs,

William
Thank you William, Haddon Hill is indeed a super location. Some years ago I sent the Somerset County Recorder a Jersey Tiger record from Taunton (highly notable then) I never had the courtesy of a reply :( :o - that apart I shall do as you suggest and send David Ayling the SP-bF record. Thank you for your local knowledge and I would have been left unaware of the species status until your informative comments :wink:
bugboy wrote:I'll be getting a dose of Heath Frits
I hope you realise there is no known cure Buggy :roll:
Wurzel wrote:I'd love to visit Haddon Hill as it's about 100 miles less of a round trip than East Blean but I wouldn't know how to get there
Its simples Wurz, across country to Taunton for you and then up towards Dulverton...just check your maps. It will be less costly for you in travelling expenses too, although its the same distance for both of us, I have to pay £6.50 to get back into Wales over the Severn Bridge :evil: ...modern highway robbery :cry:
David M wrote: This year is fast becoming a write off for me, but I derive encouragement from posts such as yours
It has been a bit frustrating David, but take heart my friend, you have an impending butterflying adventure to look forward to...

Thanks everyone for your comments, I really appreciate it and want you to know that I always take time out (when it allows!) to read your Personal Diaries too...cos' they're so enjoyable...three cheers for butterflies...hip hip... :lol: :lol:

Best Wishes,

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Some wonderful images posted recently Bill. I particularly like the HF, esp. .... 630 :mrgreen: and the scenery shots add context (I could actually imagine them as paintings hung on my wall :D ) ..... and I, too, liked the last PBF shot :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”