Butterflies - June in the Pyrenees

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
dragnil

Butterflies - June in the Pyrenees

Post by dragnil »

Hello again,

I'm hoping I've not exhausted my welcome here but I've just returned from the French side of the mountains and this was my first Spring visit for many years. I have done some research, honest, and have some certain Ids but there are still some I'm not sure of and I'd be grateful for any guidance you might offer.
Thanks, as always for your help which is probably non too taxing - but you never know ...
I've given the images simple names but they don't show in the preview, if you hover over them it will become clear, "Number-1 to 10".

David
Attachments
Number-1.jpg
Number-2.jpg
Number-3.jpg
Number-4.jpg
Number-5.jpg
Number-6.jpg
Number-7.jpg
Number-8.jpg
Number-9.jpg
Number-10.jpg
David M

Re: Butterflies - June in the Pyrenees

Post by David M »

I'll have a stab:

1. Confident this is Wall Brown
2. Probably Large Wall (larger spots on the upper hindwing)
3. Western Marbled White
4. I'd go for Western Dappled White
5. Large White (female)
6. Clouded Yellow
7. Worn Dingy Skipper
8. Possibly Safflower Skipper
9 & 10. I think these are Small Blues
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I'd agree with all David's IDs. Nice to catch the dappled white in the act of egg-laying!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi dragnil,
Hi Guy,

Bravo, David.
I may call on your skills when I’m in the Pyrennees next week with a birding pal.
We will be in Estavar, not far from the Spanish border.
Any tips about birding or ’nature’ hot spots are welcome.
Chris
David M

Post by David M »

Padfield wrote:I'd agree with all David's IDs.
Only taken me six years :)
dragnil

Post by dragnil »

Many thanks to all, and if you've gained this skill in only 6 years, well done to David. I've been bird watching for over 30 years and posted a warbler from this trip on a site similar to this as I thought it was (a) but a friend suggested (b) then all those more familiar with the species pointed out why it was actually (c). So we never stop learning - and that's the fun of it. Thanks again, I'm sure I'll be back.
dragnil

Post by dragnil »

OK, now I've had a minute to digest the comments and read about the species, I have a question. This site refers to the possibility of a "split" with 2 species, Western and Mountain, but makes no comment on visual differences (if any) - my butterfly was at about 2000m, would that make it "Mountain". I hope this question from a birdwatcher isn't naive.

Chris, not sure which David you're addressing. My favoured area is to the west of you, and south of Lourdes. If you might go there I'll be happy to suggest some sites, just PM me if you want. We usually visit in September when France has gone back to work but this year made a Spring trip as well mostly for the flowers and butterflies, but I did pick up something a little larger ...
Attachments
_DLB0568.jpg
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I noticed that your insect looked more like simplonia (the mountain 'species') but mistakenly thought that didn't fly in the Pyrenees, only in the Alps. It seems it does fly in the Pyrenees too, so you are right.

I'm not sure what the latest view on the taxonomic status of this group is. They are still all listed as separate species in the books but this has been controversial. In Switzerland, the lower altitude individuals are morphologically (not counting genitalia &c., which I've never looked at) rather similar to crameri (western dappled white), while the higher altitude individuals are rather distinct. All are officially simplonia (named after the Simplon Pass, of course).

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
dragnil

Post by dragnil »

Thanks, Guy, helpful as always. Food for thought - before Internet forums like this most of our ID questions would be "solved" by browsing books and magazines. I wonder how many of the verdicts were correct - there is nothing better than drawing on the advice of someone with greater experience.
Thanks again, UK Butterflies.

Return to “Identification”