Spring 2015 Competition

This is a forum for, primarily, monthly (or so!) photographic competitions that complement the annual competition.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Spring 2015 Competition

Post by Pete Eeles »

To enter the competition

Please post a single image taken in 2015 before 1st June (1 post per member) as follows:

- Click on the "Photos" link and then open the "Spring 2015" album (gallery/album.php?album_id=2565)
- Click the "NEW IMAGE" button
- Follow the instructions to upload a single image

To view the entries

Click on the "Photos" link and then open the "Spring 2015" album (gallery/album.php?album_id=2565)

To edit or delete your entry (which you can do until 5th June):

- Select the "Moderate" link at the bottom of the image details
- Take the appropriate action

Please note that the entries are not anonymous when posted (they will be visible to all visitors), and that the judging will be conducted by a panel.

Look forward to seeing the entries roll in, and good luck!

Regards Gruditch (and Pete)
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Pete Eeles

Re: Spring 2015 Competition

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi all - a reminder to get those entries in! We'll close the comp on 5th June.

Cheers,

- Pete
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Votes are in - thanks to Gary and Lisa for helping. The result is as follows:

1st place - Nigel Kiteley
Pearl-bordered Fritillary
Pearl%20Bordered%20Fritillary..jpeg
2nd place - Adrian Kennerley
Orange-tip
Male%20Orange-tip.jpeg
3rd place - Ben Kiteley
Niobe Fritillary
Niobe%20Fritillary%20-%20Spain%20May%202015..jpeg
4th place - William
Orange-tips
OTs.jpeg
5th place - IAC
Northern Brown Argus
Northern%20Brown%20Argus%2028th%20May%202015.jpeg
Congrats to the winners and thanks, once again, to all who entered.

Cheers,

- Pete
The Annoying Czech

Post by The Annoying Czech »

Congratz to Kiteley gang of photographers who are above all again and looks like to me son even overcame his dad this time. Changing of guards time! :D

Pic #4 is rubbish though and only belongs to the basket where would fit the best, to be frank. Absolute lack of sharpness and work with DOF, with ISO not handled at all. This can be partly said about pic #5 as well.

Where the hell is Argynnis niobe on the wing so soon ?
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Hi Marek,

I always find, even if I feel totally robbed, its best to offer a polite constructive critique. Else people may misconstrued my post as sour grapes. :)

Regards Gruditch
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Marek has a better grasp of British humour than do some Brits. Bring it on!

Jack
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I like William's pic - back-lit OTs always look good and these are beautiful :)

His mistake was, perhaps, to over-compress the JPEGs (to only 148kb), which has led to the artefacts that Marek may have identified as lack of sharpness. In digital photography, there is frequently confusion between 'sharpness' and 'acutance' - the latter is what so-called sharpness filters adjust.

I would advise anyone to submit a competition pic with as little compression as possible.

An excellent crop of pics, as usual

Mike
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Ah! Acutance. New word. I'll have to try to fit it in everyday conversation (can't think of an example yet). But good crossword answer (or clue).

This is an example of hyper-acutance (I think) and heavy compression
high-acutance.jpg
from 10 days ago.

Jack
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

As Gary R has said it is difficult to comment on the result of a competition without being accused of sour grapes. I just wonder whether the clear backgrounds (which can be done on Photoshop) on most winning photographs are the only acceptable backgrounds for butterfly photos. Neil Hulme's winning photograph last year is a very pleasant exception to the rule. What do others think?
Ian
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

If you had two identical butterfly macro shots, but one has a clean backdrop, and the other has a mess of grass stems. It's pretty obvious which is going to be judged as the superior image. To expect anything else, is to expect us to change the concept of what is good photography. When you know how to get those nice clean backdrops, to be honest it's a piece of cake. If anyone does actually believe they are manufactured on a computer, then they are probably looking for excuses for their own photography shortcomings. :shock:

That sad, I think I can speak for the other two judges when I say, a clear background is not a prerequisite for a winning image, Neil's image is prof of that. If someone can produce a beautiful image, with a flower strewn background, or a butterfly in a mountain panorama, then great. But no one has. :?

Regards Gruditch
The Annoying Czech

Post by The Annoying Czech »

To avoid ruining Czech-English international relations, I will skip the whole touchy sour grapes thing and only comment on the bokeh and OOF areas debate. Anyone who's into photography for some time should know William's photo is technically worthless and actually hard to be positive about in any aspect, if I may be so cruel. It lacks quality in every aspect (sharpness, bokeh, composition, technical quality, ISO...)

Creating impressive eyecatching bokeh is generally hard with modern AF lenses and is one of the reasons for me to abandon AF lenses, or rather to reduce using them to minimum (I only have one but TOP AF macro Canon lens).

Both Kiteleys are literally perfect in subgenre they do and millions of years far from ordinary photographing mortals so that even Adrian's otherwise solid (but not flawless) shot looks kind of B-level when compared with, but their bokeh is every time the same excluding the colour. I consider this or this to be handled really masterly as regards OOF areas, which is absolutely pleasant to my eyes and professionally handled in every aspect, thus really far from William's averagely enlighted, ISO-troubled photo generally out of focus.

Even though it's not my cup of tea any more, I respect both Kiteleys for what they do, as it clearly requires high skill, good knowhow, high quality technique and loads of supporting accessiories. This might be a good goal for any beginning photographer, to get as close to Nigel's/Ben's level as possible and produce clear, sharp, well-handled (altough a bit synthetic) macro or closeup photo and then to try something different or whatever.

I personally don't like modern AF lenses providing very conventional bokeh just as I wouldn't like to have an automatic gearbox in my car. Love lenses like this so much more, although it mean I won't join sharpness races any more.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

The Annoying Czech wrote:To avoid ruining Czech-English international relations, I will skip the whole touchy sour grapes thing and only comment on the bokeh and OOF areas debate. Anyone who's into photography for some time should know William's photo is technically worthless and actually hard to be positive about in any aspect, if I may be so cruel. It lacks quality in every aspect (sharpness, bokeh, composition, technical quality, ISO...)
Well, one thing's for sure, Marek - you certainly understand the meaning of sour grapes :)

Cheers,

- Pete
David M

Post by David M »

I only wish I understood photography sufficiently to agree/disagree with the critique.

Not always a good idea to heap opprobrium on someone who has merely expressed an opinion.

Free speech should be cherished.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Oh well. Clearly, I like lousy pics :)
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I actually prefer pictures with a bit of 'clutter' in the background, (as you may have realised if you've looked at any of mine!). To me they look more realistic which I like. I guess a large part of this is in the 'eye of the beholder'.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Colin Varndell, a nature photographer whose opinion I respect, said something to the effect that competitions bring out the worst in people! Sometimes they do. :(
IAC

Post by IAC »

To avoid ruining Czech-English international relations
Hello Marek,
I notice you had a side swipe at my effort as well....and I am no Englishman. We Scots are a canny bunch and take competition a little lighter than most. As a Scotsman I am over the moon to be given 5th place. Constant failure to win breeds a steely resolve we are famed for. :wink:
On a more serious note though Marek. I would be happy to hear from you on how I could have improved my image. For what it is worth to you now, I thought your image was very nice, almost an artistic feel to the background. Your subject the Southern Festoon...well...if only we could get such a species in good old Scotland. Not that the Northern Brown Argus can be in any way sniffed at.
There are a very talented bunch of photographers within this forum and beyond. Its not easy to find that image. I often think that I may have a winning shot only to see a couple of late entries clearly trump me...yep...those pesky Kiteleys. Beautiful images. The Pearl was a very worthy winner...by miles I would say.

So Marek, as I said, constructive advice would be good to hear. Sharing our ideas and thoughts is what the forum is really about. In a generally good natured spirit.

Iain.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Bokeh (1) and Opproprium (2).
Now that's what I like about ukb - we are introduced to unusual words.

1. Bokeh = myopia (reminds me - off to collect my new specs today: should get clearer backgrounds then)

2. Opprorobrium = excoriation (excoriation being a word with which of course we all use in everyday life)

Jack
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

David M wrote:Not always a good idea to heap opprobrium on someone who has merely expressed an opinion.Free speech should be cherished.
Fine, so long as that opinion is not expressed in a way that is cruel, or disrespectful. To call someone's picture rubbish, or worthless is not very classy.

Regards Gruditch
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Gruditch wrote: When you know how to get those nice clean backdrops, to be honest it's a piece of cake.
In a spirit of friendship and collaboration (which I hope this website and forum are about), if taking photos like this is so easy then why is the "secret" not shared with others? :?:

Return to “Competitions”