PhilBWright

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: PhilBWright

Post by trevor »

HI Phil,
Love the SWF shot, and your videos of HIM on the Purple Empire. You obviously have a talent for spotting high up
Emperors .I can't wait for next June/July,the optimist in me tells me that December is half way there.
Here's to 2015!
All the best
TREVOR.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Phil,

Take your point about ' shooting ' especially from car windows.Hope the Police realize we're only
talking about cameras and Butterflies , if they read UKB. :lol:

Happy New Year ,
TREVOR

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Thanks Trevor,
Best Wishes to you also for the New Year.
I live in Surrey. It is not close to the sea and I didn't have a confirmed sighting of single Painted Lady Butterfly this year.
I thought that maybe I just didn't have my eyes trained enough on the "butterfly bush" but looking at other comments I now realise that there were not that many to be seen in several areas. This is the best I can do:
Painted Lady?
Painted Lady?
Apparently it does flap it's wings and maybe Butterfly Conservation need some ideas for next years Christmas Catalogue ! :)

Kind Regards,
trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Phil,
Talking of Painted Ladies ,maybe 2015 will bring another invasion of this species. I can recall two occasions when
they have arrived in vast numbers. Once at Ventnor Botanical Gardens , several years ago ,there were swarms of them.
I have an image,on film unfortunately, with eleven Painted Ladies in one picture!.

All the best for 2015
TREVOR.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

In very desperate years I'd still be tempted to count it Phil! :wink: I read that the invasions of Painted Ladies are cyclic (in line roughly with 'Clodued Yellow years') so maybe 2015 will see a return to the huge numbers of this butterfly? Fingers crossed. Have a happy New Year :D

Have a goodun (2015)

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Thanks Trevor and very generous Wurzel !
I am hoping to go to this, who else is going ?
Apparently Butterfly Conservation have a stand this year, very interesting. :)

https://www.rhs.org.uk/gardens/Whats-on ... glasshouse

Looking back at the summer.........
A nice thistle !
A nice thistle !

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Kind Regards,
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Butterflies in the Glasshouse at Wisley, Surrey. Long time, no log in !
I went with my son Alex to the above event today. He also said that he had never seen a real birds nest apart from those fake box ones!
I think we need to get out more :)
When a butterfly settled. Amazing !
When a butterfly settled. Amazing !
Butterflies at Wisley 111.jpg
A Blue Morpho
A Blue Morpho
This was the first time I used my Canon camera this year (I felt a bit "rusty" so I left it in P mode most of the time and didn't try changing the settings too often.

Kind Regards,

Philip

Kind Regards,
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good to see you back on UKB Phil :D Lovely shot of the Blue Morpho :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Thank you very much Wurzel,
I know that I am miles behind, I only saw my first spring butterfly yesterday. A Brimstone on my way to pick up my new camera.
Here are some results from my first experiments with it this morning. The Herons are nesting at Bookham Common.
One can't miss them in flight as they fly quite slowly and are about 100 times larger than a Purple Emperor ! The camera I previously used to take video footage of the PE's has been given to someone young enough to know how to use it :) I never fully got to grips with it
Sunday 8th March 054.JPG
Collecting twigs
Collecting twigs
Sunday 8th March 084.JPG
Sunday 8th March 093.JPG
Enjoy the Spring,
Philip

Kind Regards,
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

OK, so it's 17th March and I'm off (like a snail). I have still yet to photograph my first Spring butterfly
Here is a short video clip I just uploaded to youtube:
I called it the disappearing Silver Washed Fritillary:
.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-6soDi ... e=youtu.be
The "special" (not really) effect has been made just by cutting and then overlapping a short video clip.
Cheers,
Philip

Kind Regards,
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Hi Guys,
I wont be posting so much this year. I will try and keep the quality reasonably good:
9.5.2015 Fairmile Common about half way between Cobham and Esher
9.5.2015 Fairmile Common about half way between Cobham and Esher
Green Hairstreak on Gorse, Fairmile Common near (but not on) the South Facing Bank of A3
Green Hairstreak on Gorse, Fairmile Common near (but not on) the South Facing Bank of A3
Kind Regards,

Philip B Wright

Kind Regards,
kevling

Post by kevling »

Philip.

If it's going to be quality over quantity, you're off to good start. Cracking shots of the Green Hairstreak. Especially love the sharp colours of the second pic.

Regards Kev

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Phil.,
Good to see you posting again. Great Green Hairstreak images, a species that has avoided
me this year so far. Looking forward to reports from Bookham Common.

All the best,
TREVOR.

PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Thank you TREVOR and Kev,
I was at Bookham Common today. Red Admirals, an overwintering Peacock but no SWF or White Admirals yet but they will be emerging very soon (looking at the brambles flowering in full sun).

Kind Regards,

Philip

Kind Regards,
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

I hope you'll be posting shots from Bookham soon, Phil :)

PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Thanks Maximus,
Between now and the weekend, for me Bookham Common is "after work only".
On Monday 8th after work, I couldn't even see a Speckled Wood. It rained when I left (please don't tease me about it). It is like going fishing and "blanking"

I have a couple of mobile phone images from the Thames Valley
A couple of "snaps" taken during scheduled work breaks (I don't smoke).
I assume these are Common Blues
I assume these are Common Blues
Do they do mobile phones with fast shutter speeds or maybe I don't know how to operate my one properly? (iphone 6)
Painted Lady
Painted Lady
The Painted Lady I failed to get a confirmed sighting last year and up to now this year.
Small Heath also present in numbers but I didn't manage a photo (working too hard).
It is interesting how Thames Water have managed this area and I think they deserve some credit.
Last edited by PhilBJohnson on Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kind Regards,
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Nice shot of the Painted Lady. Like you, I didn't see any of these last year and so far, have only seen a 'fly by' this year.

You might like to try the '645Pro' app for the iPhone (from the Apple store). I haven't used it but my son thinks it's very good and it gives full control over the camera. See http://jag.gr/645pro/highlights/ for more info

Mike

PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Thank you very much, Mike. Very helpful.
Thursday 11th June.
I saw my first Meadow Brown of the year, today.
Small Heath in the Thames Valley.
QMR 015.JPG
Kind Regards,
Philip
Last edited by PhilBJohnson on Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kind Regards,
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Painted Lady Butterflies at Bookham Common. Sipping nectar on bramble blossom, White Admirals and SWF very soon (if not already and unseen by me).
I saw 3 different individuals there today having seen none there in the last 2 years.
These are not 3 different individuals:
pl 015.JPG
pl 026.JPG
pl 027.JPG

Kind Regards,
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Recently emerged at Bookham Common, Surrey
This is a very recently emerged var. Hutchinsoni Comma which is much paler in hue that those appearing later.
Hutchinsoni Comma Close up
Hutchinsoni Comma Close up
Hutchinsoni Comma Distance
Hutchinsoni Comma Distance
No White Admirals for me yet.

Kind Regards,

Return to “Personal Diaries”