CFB

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Chris Jackson

Re: CFB

Post by Chris Jackson »

I like the photos of your mating Blue-spot Hairstreaks higher up, Colin. I've never witnessed that over in Marseilles. :shock: They are more discrete chez moi.
Chris

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
CFB

Post by CFB »

This morning along the Piste de Darbousson I saw my first Green-underside Blue #47 of the year
IMG_3849.JPG
and my first Marbled Fritillary #48 of the year.
IMG_3899.JPG
In addition I saw one very nice Green-veined White,
IMG_3855.JPG
and many Provence Chalkhill Blues.
IMG_3868.JPG
Also seen were a few Meadow Browns, Small Heaths, Pearly Heaths, Ilex Hairstreaks and Small Skippers, many Adonis Blues, one female Cleopatra (or possibly Brimstone), one Knapweed Fritillary and a possible Large White.

I also saw a Spanish Festoon larva on the same plant on which I had previously seen one, but I don't think that it was the same individual as before, as it seemed to be much smaller.
--
Colin

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

That Marbled Fritillary shot is good, Colin. They don't seem to stay still for very long. :)
Chris

CFB

Post by CFB »

cjackson wrote:They don't seem to stay still for very long. :)
Chris, yes, they stay in place long enough for you to approach them, then fly away, but not very far away, just as you are about ready to take a photo :( :( :( .

There weren't many butterflies flying in the Parc de la Brague this morning due to it being more or less overcast, though by no means cold.

My first sighting was of a Small Skipper.
IMG_3924.JPG
On the way back there was another one, or perhaps the same one, at the same place but on a different flower.
IMG_3947.JPG
I then encountered two Marbled Whites #49, my first of the year.
IMG_3930.JPG
At the same place were one or two Spotted Fritillaries.
IMG_3936.JPG
Also seen were one Heath Fritillary, a few Meadow Browns, and several Provence Chalkhill Blues.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

It was rather hot in the Parc de la Brague this morning, where I saw my first (confidently identified) Large White #50 of the year.
IMG_3981.JPG
Also my first (hopefully correctly identified) Lulworth Skipper #51 of the year, a female.
IMG_3989.JPG
Once again there were many Provence Chalkhill Blues, including this mating couple.
IMG_3970.JPG
And one Southern White Admiral.
IMG_3986.JPG
Also a few Painted Ladies. This one was in the Parc, but when I arrived home there were two in the garden.
IMG_3955.JPG
Also seen were two brand-new male Cleopatras (alas no photos), several Meadow Browns, a few Heath Fritillaries, Adonis Blues, Blue-spot Hairstreaks and Marbled Whites, and one or two Wall Browns.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

It was very hot this morning along the Vallon des Dones.

I saw my first Marbled Skipper #52 of the year, but unfortunately no photographs.

There is still one Spanish Festoon larva on the same plant mentioned above.
IMG_4009.JPG
There were many Heath Fritillaries,
IMG_4003.JPG
and a couple of Knapweed Fritillaries.
IMG_4031.JPG
Also seen were lots of Provence Chalkhill Blues, several Blue-spot Hairstreaks, Small Skippers, Spotted Fritillaries, Glanville Fritillaries, Pearly Heaths, Small Heaths, Adonis Blues, one Small Copper, one Clouded Yellow, one male Cleopatra, a couple of Wood Whites, Wall Browns and many Meadow Browns.
--
Colin

kevling

Post by kevling »

Colin,

Enjoying your diary and with a trip to the South of France coming up in July, it's really wetting my appetite.

Regards Kev

David M

Post by David M »

kevling wrote:Colin,

Enjoying your diary and with a trip to the South of France coming up in July, it's really wetting my appetite.

Regards Kev
Seconded. I can't wait to get out there at the end of this month. We haven't seen 20 degrees since April here in Swansea. :(

CFB

Post by CFB »

Kev, I shall try to leave a few butterflies for you in July :) .

David, it's about 30 degrees here at present :) .

This morning I went to Terme Blanc, a hill to the north of Biot, that has the peculiarity of having a lightning conductor on the summit. I don't know why!

At the summit I saw my first Two-tailed Pashas #53 of the year. There were two of them, spending most of the time chasing each other. And when they weren't doing that they came to a nearby bush to have their photos taken. This one was somewhat tatty, and was missing the two tails on the right-hand wing.
IMG_4057.JPG
But this one was in splendid condition.
IMG_4060.JPG
IMG_4078.JPG
There was also a Swallowtail that joined in the chasing a couple of times, but then found another Swallowtail to chase instead. No photos of the Swallowtails, they never seemed to stop flying.

On the way down I saw for the first time this year two Great Banded Graylings #54. As with the Two-tailed Pashas one can count on seeing this species at this time of the year on Terme Blanc.
IMG_4090.JPG
And there was a mating couple of Meadow Browns.
IMG_4035.JPG
Also seen were a couple of male Cleopatras and a Wall Brown.
--
Colin

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Great upperside shot of the Two-tailed Pasha, Colin - that is what I should be aiming for. :mrgreen:
I also saw my first Great-banded Grayling of the season today, although I didn't get a photo.
We should be having our family holiday in Grasse in July this year, so I'm hoping to see some different species in the Alpes Maritimes. :D
Cheers, Chris

CFB

Post by CFB »

Today the temperature was around 32 degrees, which is rather hot! But it didn't stop me from seeing my first male Silver-washed Fritillary #55 of the year. I managed to get a photo even though it was quite far away.
IMG_4121.JPG
There were a few Marbled Skippers,
IMG_4118.JPG
and lots of Spotted Fritillaries.
IMG_4106.JPG
Also seen: many Provence Chalkhill Blues, Heath Fritillaries and Meadow Browns; a few Adonis Blues and Wall Browns; a couple of Small Skippers, Pearly Heaths and Blue-spot Hairstreaks; one male Cleopatras.
--
Colin

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Morning Colin, what an unusual creature that Spanish Festoon larva is - that Two-tailed Pasha is quite impressive too. Great shots :mrgreen:

CFB

Post by CFB »

Thanks, Pauline. Yes, Two-tailed Pasha are very impressive, specially when coming directly towards you at great speed, then suddenly changing direction and flying around you a few times only a few feet away and then dashing off again.

What was notable today was the number of male Cleopatras. There must have been a good dozen of them.
IMG_4146.JPG
And there was also a male Brimstone. These photos show how the pointed bit on the forewing is much more pronounced on the Brimstone than on the Cleopatra.
IMG_4133.JPG
There were also many Marbled Whites. This morning I went to the site where I saw f. leucomelas last July, but I didn't see any. Perhaps it's too early.
IMG_4131.JPG
I also saw a very worn Painted Lady, one Weaver's Fritillary, several Heath Fritillaries and Provence Chalkhill Blues, and a mating couple of Blue-spot Hairstreaks. And probably a few other species I've forgotten about.
--
Colin

David M

Post by David M »

That's a great comparison between Cleopatra/Brimstone, Colin. I was trying to train my eyes to spot this whilst in the Var in April.

CFB

Post by CFB »

This afternoon in the garden I saw my first False Ilex Hairstreak #56 of the year. (I hope I've got it right this time.)
IMG_1002.JPG
This morning at the Pont des Dones on the brambles there were several Marbled Fritillaries
IMG_4187.JPG
and a couple of male Silver-washed Fritillaries.
IMG_4192.JPG
There were many Spotted Fritillaries including this female.
IMG_4182.JPG
Once again I saw a few Marbled Skippers.
IMG_4161.JPG
Also seen were several male Cleopatras, a couple of Marbled Whites, some Blue-spot Hairstreaks and some Pearly Heaths.
--
Colin

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Your False Ilex looks exactly like the False Ilexes I see over in the Bouches du Rhone, Colin.
I don't think it could be anything else.
I also saw my first Silver-Washed of the season, last weekend, although I had to pop over into the Var to see it, in Saint Zacharie.
Strange how they observe départemental boundaries. :roll:
Chris

CFB

Post by CFB »

In the Parc de la Brague this morning there were probably more male Cleopatras than anything else,
IMG_4293.JPG
closely followed by Marbled Whites. This one had problems flying with its damaged right hand wings.
IMG_4240.JPG
And Provence Chalkhill Blues take the third place.
IMG_4238.JPG
There were also lots of Heath Fritillaries,
IMG_4230.JPG
but only a couple of Knapweed Fritillaries.
IMG_4235.JPG
There were many False Ilex Hairstreaks and Blue-spot Hairstreaks, this one enjoying the Common Centaury (Centaurium erythraea) flowers,
IMG_4251.JPG
and two Painted Ladies, this one allowing me to take several photos.
IMG_4281.JPG
Also seen were Common Blues, one Small Copper, Wood Whites, a Lulworth Skipper, Spotted Fritillaries, two Two-tailed Pashas, Wall Browns, Meadow Browns and a few Pearly Heaths.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

Today I managed to get a photo for the first time this year of one of two Swallowtails that I saw. It wasn't easy as it was quite windy, and also the Swallowtail kept opening and closing its wings.
IMG_4308.JPG
I also saw a Scarce Swallowtail, but didn't manage to get any good shots for the same reasons as above in addition to it being in the shade.

Once again there were many Cleopatras, females
IMG_4310.JPG
and males.
IMG_4316.JPG
I also saw a Small Copper which stayed on top of its plant in spite of the wind and my presence.
IMG_4327.JPG
There were also Spotted Fritillaries, Marbled Skippers, Wood Whites, Marbled Fritillaries, Blue-spot Hairstreaks, and so on.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

Yesterday near the Moulin des Gabres my good deed for the day was to rescue a Spotted Fritillary from the clutches of a spider. I gently took the butterfly by the wings, flicked off the spider and let the butterfly fly away, apparently unharmed. I assume the spider didn't consider this to be a good deed :( .
IMG_4371.JPG
There were many Marbled Whites, but still no f. leucomelas,
IMG_4373.JPG
and many Marbled Fritillaries in the Brambles.
IMG_4375.JPG
Today on the way to La Roche d'Ardy there were many Silver-washed Fritillaries,
IMG_4396.JPG
including two f. valesina,
IMG_4446.JPG
a couple of Marbled Skippers,
IMG_4414.JPG
and many Provence Chalkhill Blues.
IMG_4430.JPG
Also seen were many Blue-spot, False Ilex,
IMG_4400.JPG
and Ilex Hairstreaks, many Cleopatras, some Berger's Clouded Yellows, Meadow Heaths and Adonis blues.
--
Colin

David M

Post by David M »

Great Marbled Skipper image, Colin. They have an almost 'gossamer' look to them when fresh.

Return to “Personal Diaries”