Kev Ling

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
kevling

Re: Kev Ling

Post by kevling »

A couple more Orange Tip photos from my local patch today.
Belstead Meadows  24.5.15.JPG
Belstead Meadows  24.5.15 (1).JPG
Regards Kev

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
kevling

Post by kevling »

After a frustrating week of rationed sunshine, it was nice to take advantage of brighter conditions.
Three more firsts for 2015 in the shape of Common Blue, Brown Argus and Small Heath, together with good numbers of Brimstone and Orange Tip.

Brown Argus
Burton End 26.5.15 (2).JPG
Female Common Blue
Burton End 26.5.15 (2).JPG
Male Common Blue
Burton End 26.5.15.JPG
and finally a caterpillar, which I think may be a Mottled Umber Moth (please correct me if I'm wrong)
Burton End (1).JPG
Regards Kev

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Frustration over Kev, you finally nailed some nice captures in the sunshine 8) lets hope it lasts and you get lots more :wink:

Regards,

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
kevling

Post by kevling »

Strumpshaw Fen 6th June 2015

A cracking day spent looking for Swallowtails. We were lucky enough to see two. Also seen was a single Painted Lady, Brimstone and Common Blue (M/F). However the most numerous species for the day was Red Admiral, which seemed to be everywhere. Being vary sparse for me this year, they were nice to see in good numbers.
Other notable sightings were Black Tailed Skimmers,Four Spotted Chasers and the following Damselflies (Azure, Blue Tailed, Variable, Large Red)

For any visitors to Strumpshaw Fen, the best locations are the herbaceous garden by the entrance hide (where the below photos were taken). The other notable locations are Dr Georges Cottage which is located down a track approx 100 yards before the car park. There is a welcoming sign from him inviting people to walk up and down his border and photograph any Swallowtails that settle (as they frequently do when conditions are right). Opposite the cottage and across the railway line, is the best other part of the fen to observe Swallowtails, being richer in Milk Parsley.

Swallowtails at Strumpshaw Fen
Strumpshaw Fen 6.6.15 (19).JPG
Strumpshaw Fen 6.6.15 (26).JPG
Strumpshaw Fen 6.6.15 (36).JPG
Strumpshaw Fen 6.6.15 (30).JPG
Strumpshaw Fen 6.6.15 (24).JPG
First Painted Lady of the year
Strumpshaw Fen 6th Jun 15.JPG
Strumpshaw Fen 6th Jun 15 (10).JPG
Regards Kev

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Congratulations on seeing the Swallowtails, Kev : gorgeous photos!

I went last year and spent a memorable afternoon in the good doctor's garden

Best wishes

Hoggers

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Well Kev, you maybe a bit jealous of my list of species this year but I can garantee I'm more jealous of your Swallowtail pictures :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D !

Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Kev,
You've hit the jackpot , i've closely observed a reared Continental Swallowtail ,but you have seen
the real thing, and taken some cracking ( as Wurzel would say ) images. Must go myself one day.

All the best,
TREVOR.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

You have really done those Swallowtails justice Kev. Beautiful shots of a beautiful butterfly which I would love to be able to see for myself one day :mrgreen:

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Opposite the cottage and across the railway line, is the best other part of the fen to observe Swallowtails, being richer in Milk Parsley.
You used to be able to cross the railway line at that point but the last time I was there (2012) the access via that particular level crossing was blocked.
Is the fen accessible again from there or does it involve the walk from the visitor centre within the boundary of the fen?

Jack

kevling

Post by kevling »

Hoggers/Bugboy/Trevor/Pauline :D Thank you all for your compliments. Appreciated as always. I've been reading your diaries and envious of the species being seen by you in the West, so it was nice to have a close encounter with such an exotic species.

Jack: The access to the fen from the cottage crossing is fully open once again with no access issues. That's where we saw a second example yesterday. It landed on the path in front of us. I managed a quick photo of it as it settled and took off (sorry quality not that great).
Strumpshaw Fen 6.6.15 (37).JPG
P1170749.JPG
Regards Kev

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Congrats on the Swallowtails, Kev! It's a long way for many people - but always worth the trip :)

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

It's a long way for many people
They were only 20 kilometres/12 miles away from where I grew up (or 12.4274238 miles as Google stupidly insists on converting 2 significant figures to 9 sig.figs).

But I didn't see my first Swallowtail until 1950 when I was 11 years old and Dad had got his first car.

Jack

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Beautiful photos Kevling :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

kevling

Post by kevling »

Pete/Wurzel. Thanks for your kind comments :D

Regards Kev

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

I'm envious Kev :mrgreen: I've yet to make the long journey from South Wales to see Swallowtail - and those photos are pretty nifty too :wink:

Regards,

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Kev,
Good luck finding the Heath Fritillary. I don't know the Essex site, but there are plenty at East Blean.

Good luck,
TREVOR.

kevling

Post by kevling »

Hadleigh Country Park, Essex

A trip south of the Suffolk border today to this excellent site near Southend. My target species was White Letter Hairstreak, of which I saw three. Two in the canopies and one that landed right next to me and set off again before I could get my camera focused :cry:

Soon made up for this though with a small number of Marbled Whites.
Hadleigh CP - 27.6.15.JPG
Hadleigh CP - 27.6.15 (3).JPG
Hadleigh CP - 27.6.15 (4).JPG
Surprisingly the most numerous species seen today (if you discount the Meadow Brown & Skippers) was the Holly Blue (30+). I had never seen this number in such a close proximity before.

A total of thirteen species seen in additional to some other insects. A selection of my other sightings follows;

Comma at rest
Hadleigh CP (1).JPG
Male Broad Bodied Chaser
Male Broad Bodied Chaser - Hadleigh CP (1).JPG
Female Ruddy Darter
Female Ruddy Darter - Hadleigh CP.JPG
Mating Common Blue Damselfly
Mating Common Blue DF.JPG
Regards Kev

kevling

Post by kevling »

A new job has me based next to some great Heathland near Ipswich and occasional lunch time walks are being rewarded this week with a good number of Butterflies and Moths.
Armed only with my mobile, I've not been too successful with images, but I did see this nice cluster of Six Spot Burnets (10 on a single flower head).
Six Spot Burnets.jpg
And a caterpillar / pupa duo of the same moth
Six Spot Burnet cat - pupa.jpg
On the look out for Silver Studded Blues at this site, but none seen yet. But also present have been Painted Lady, Small Copper and as many skippers as you can shake a stick at. I think the skippers are a very underrated Butterfly and I just love seeing them in such numbers (a true arrival of summer).
Small Skipper - Heath.JPG
Regards Kev

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I agree with you Kev, it's not a proper summer until you're accompanied on a walk by a multitude of minuscule ginger buzzing bullets :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

kevling

Post by kevling »

A family camping trip this weekend to Tangham Forest, Suffolk and with beautiful weather, I saw my first White Admiral of the year.
Tangham Forest - Jul 15 (1).JPG
Tangham Forest - Jul 15 (2).JPG
Tangham Forest - Jul 15 (3).JPG
Tangham Forest - Jul 15.JPG
Meadow Browns and Skippers also present in the hundreds :D

Regards Kev

Return to “Personal Diaries”