CFB

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: CFB

Post by Goldie M »

It must be great to see lots of different species, I really envy you :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
CFB

Post by CFB »

This morning in the Parc de la Brague I saw my first Heath Fritillary #41 of the year. At least I think it is a Heath Fritillary.
IMG_3503.JPG
There were also many Provence Chalkhill Blues, a few Glanville Fritillaries, a couple of Meadow Browns, Southern White Admirals and Blue-spot Hairstreaks, a Painted Lady, a Pearly Heath and a Berger's Clouded Yellow.

And that was it.
--
Colin

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
CFB

Post by CFB »

Even though it was cloudy and windy this morning I went to see if there were any Chequered Blues near a quarry the other side of Roquefort les Pins. I saw one Chequered Blue, my first of the year #'42, and no other butterflies at all :( :( :( . This is the best photo I managed to get. It's not easy with a nearly black butterfly on a nearly white stone. Then it flew away.
IMG_3592.JPG
--
Colin

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Nice one, Colin. I don't think I've ever seen a Chequered Blue round my way :mrgreen: .
Chris

David M

Post by David M »

You should always be prepared to sacrifice quality for a simple 'record' shot.

Nice find, especially considering the lack of other species flying.

CFB

Post by CFB »

David M wrote:You should always be prepared to sacrifice quality for a simple 'record' shot.
Thanks for those words of wisdom, David.

This morning I encountered my first Small Skipper #43 of the year. In fact there were several of them. Here's one on a Aphyllanthes monspeliensis flower.
IMG_3621.JPG
An unexpected sighting was of a female Clouded Yellow, unexpected as I hadn't seen one for quite a time.
IMG_3611.JPG
These last few days I had been looking for Spanish Festoon larvae, and today I found one on the same Aristolochia pistolochia plant as I had seen some on last year.
IMG_3645.JPG
Just one Wood White,
IMG_3648.JPG
and one Southern White Admiral.
IMG_3695.JPG
Once again there were more Provence Chalkhill Blues than anything else, including this mating couple.
IMG_3661.JPG
There were a few Heath Fritillaries around.
IMG_3684.JPG
Also seen: several Pearly Heaths, a few Small Heaths, many Adonis Blues, a Glanville Fritillary and a Meadow Brown.
--
Colin

trevor

Post by trevor »

You French and Swiss types again !,posting images of Butterflies that we're never likely to see over here.
Don't you realise that we in the UK.are defenceless up against images like yours !.

(Lovely Southern White Admiral :mrgreen: ).

Best wishes,
TREVOR.

CFB

Post by CFB »

Thanks for the kind comments, Trevor :D :) :( :o :? .
--
All the best
Colin

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Lovely photos, especially of the Spanish festoon larva.

Trevor, I guess it's all about context. I got as much pleasure watching clouded yellows on the Suffolk coast a couple of years ago as I do from any of the exotica out here. Butterflies are butterflies! :D

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

That's a very distinctive larva, Colin. Good spot.

Yes, Trevor, it's not quite all it seems - I've lost a bit of interest in some of the more 'desirable' UK species (e.g. Heath Fritillary, Wood White, Lulworth Skipper) simply because I'm used to seeing them in huge numbers in the south of France.

Conversely, I bet both Colin and Chris Jackson would be leaping for joy if they saw Peacocks in the numbers we do over here.

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

David M wrote: ... Conversely, I bet both Colin and Chris Jackson would be leaping for joy if they saw Peacocks in the numbers we do over here.
Even just 1 Peacock would be something to write home about :D
Chris

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

trevor wrote:You French and Swiss types again !,posting images of Butterflies that we're never likely to see over here ....TREVOR.
Trevor, we are in fact working for the French and Swiss tourist boards, enticing UK butterfly enthusiasts to take their summer holidays on the continent :wink:
Chris

CFB

Post by CFB »

This morning I went out to see if the Spanish Festoon larva from yesterday was still there. He was :D :D :D:
IMG_3711.JPG
Today's mating couple were Adonis Blues:
IMG_3721.JPG
Those were the only butterflies I photographed, but I did see a Green-veined White, a few Small Skippers, some Pearly and Small Heaths, and many Provence Chalkhill Blues.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

This morning, along the Piste de Peical, I saw my first Bath White #44 of the year, a male.
IMG_3730.JPG
IMG_3732.JPG
Not far away I found my first Ilex Hairstreaks #45 of the year,
IMG_3742.JPG
which were squabbling for the Bramble flowers with a Blue-spot Hairstreak.
IMG_3740.JPG
Also seen were one Heath Fritillary, a few male Spotted Fritillaries, a few Pearly Heaths, one or two Small Heaths, many Provence Chalkhill Blues, quite a lot of Adonis Blues, a Wall Brown or two, one Small Skipper, a couple of Clouded Yellows, one Wood White, and a very tatty Scarce Swallowtail.
--
Colin
Last edited by CFB on Thu May 28, 2015 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Colin. Wonderful pictures, as always - it's fantastic to check your diary and see what's happening down south.

I'd put good money on that being an ilex hairstreak, though, not false ilex ... :wink:

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
CFB

Post by CFB »

Guy, I must admit that I had some doubts about it.
--
Colin

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi Colin,
I'm surprised you've only just seen your first Bath White, as I've been seeing them regularly since mid-March :o .

Whereas you have the Blue-Spot and Ilex together at the moment, I've got the Blue-Spot and False Ilex (so I believe).

Keem 'em coming,
Chris

CFB

Post by CFB »

This morning I saw my first Red-underwing Skipper #46 of the year. (If it is something else, I'm sure someone will tell me).
IMG_3794.JPG
My kinkyest photo of the day is of these Blue-spot Hairstreaks.
IMG_3824.JPG
Another mating couple was these Provence Chalkhill Blues.
IMG_3791.JPG
I also saw one Wood White,
IMG_3757.JPG
and several male Spotted Fritillaries.
IMG_3778.JPG
Also seen were several Pearly Heaths and Adonis Blues, a few Glanville Fritillaries and Heath Fritillaries, a couple of Small Skippers, and what was probably a Large White.
--
Colin

David M

Post by David M »

That last image is really vivid, Colin, and your mating Blue Spots are pretty good too!

Things seem to be moving nicely in your neck of the woods.

CFB

Post by CFB »

This morning was more cloudy than sunny, but I did see two or three Small Coppers in very good condition:
IMG_3834.JPG
IMG_3836.JPG
I also saw several Meadow Browns, a couple of Speckled Woods, a few Provence Chalkhill Blues, and one Glanville Fritillary.

And in the garden I saw this Hummingbird Hawk-moth (?):
IMG_3843.JPG
--
Colin

Return to “Personal Diaries”