Irton Fell - Mountain Ringlet flight time

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
AJSteele

Re: Irton Fell - Mountain Ringlet flight time

Post by AJSteele »

Know this is an old thread but up in the lakes from next weekend so wondering if the chances of the irton fell butterflies appearing by next week (7-13 june) as i know this colney is reported as coming out earlier

many thanks
David M

Post by David M »

I'd leave it as late as possible within your window to be honest.

In warm years, they can emerge in the latter days of May in this location, but this year, thus far, has been anything but warm in that part of the UK.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Seconded. Often they are out by 10 June,but temperatures have been below average for May in the north in particular. Leave it as late as you can. Early forecasts suggest an improvement in the weather from late next week. Hope you get lucky!
The views from here on a clear day are truely splended...
David M

Post by David M »

essexbuzzard wrote: The views from here on a clear day are truely splended...
Yes. There is a rocky knoll at the western edge of this site from which you can clearly see Scotland and the Isle of Man. You may also see a few Wall Browns there too which would be a bonus!
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

It's important to remember that these butterflies only fly in sunshine and are virtually impossible to find otherwise, since they sink down deep into the grass. As others have said, the views are splendid and I took the following pic from the rocky knoll mentioned by David M:
Irton Fell, looking Westward - 17 June 2012
Irton Fell, looking Westward - 17 June 2012
The path up emerges from the trees onto the plateau seen in the foreground. The Isle of Man can be seen on the horizon, while Sellafield is to the right of the photo. When I took this photo, I was killing time waiting for the clouds to clear from the West. I saw my first Mountain Ringlet within a few moments of the sun appearing and, after half an hour of warm sunshine, the depression off to the left of the photo was full of them, with some basking on the bracken.

Mike
David M

Post by David M »

Nice photo Mike, and I believe I can just make out the Mull of Galloway on the right?

A truly delightful spot, and surely one of the finest locations in the UK to go looking for butterflies.
jasonbirder

Post by jasonbirder »

Looking forward to a return visit later this month - great site and stunning views...
AJSteele

Post by AJSteele »

Thanks for information, fingers will be crossed for the rest of the week

Return to “Sites”