Willrow

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Willrow

Post by David M »

Not quite sure that I was so extreme in my eagerness to 'push you out of the way', Bill, but I confess that Adonis Blue is an almost heavenly insect in my opinion, and well worth yomping up and down sheer slopes to get close too!

Sixteen species in mid-May is decent going, and I was particularly pleased with the numbers of Dukes flying. Clearly, this area is a strong one for them and long may that continue!

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Aberbargoed Grasslands NNR, Gwent (Monmouthshire.) Having the morning free I decided it was a good opportunity to check my local nature reserve for the latest on the Marsh Fritillary and although cloudy it was less breezy than of late :roll: and I managed an approximate count of 30, ony half a dozen of those seen were actually flying, the remainder stayed down in the moor grass conserving energy, one did nectar on a Heath-spotted Orchid and I managed a few shots.
Marshy on Heath-spotted Orchid
Marshy on Heath-spotted Orchid
Marsh Fritillary resting on lush grasses...
Marsh Fritillary resting on lush grasses...
Among those photographed was one with a deformed upper-wing, I did'nt disturb the unfortunate critter to see if it could fly properly :( but I've seen loads over the years with such problems that hardly seem to affect them :)
Note the deformed wing on the above Marshy
Note the deformed wing on the above Marshy
I was delighted to note my first two Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary of the year, these two were happier down in the grasses, I was hoping they would nectar on the adjacent Bluebell's, it was not to be on this occasion - perhaps next time!
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary
P1180071Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary2.jpg
There were more Common Blue on the reserve today than I've seen for several years, I counted 10+ in a small area that had very little in the way of food plants apart from a small patch of Bluebells and one briefly posed for me on this appropriately coloured plant :)
Blue butterfly on blue flowers...nice!!!
Blue butterfly on blue flowers...nice!!!
Not all Bluebells are blue...here is a photo of a white Bluebell... :shock:
Blue & White
Blue & White
Male Common Blue having a rest...
Male Common Blue having a rest...
Its still too soon in the Marshies flight season to predict what type of season they will have, the fascination of butterflying is often about the success or failure of habitat management, fortunately at Aberbargoed we have a very good warden who manages the reserve to a very high standard and recent years have proved the habitat management works; the Marsh Fritillary have thrived here at Monmouthshire's only remaining location for the species! Lets hope this is yet another successful year :wink:

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Smashing photos Bill. My favourite has to be the Marsh Frit. on the Orchid :D

Mike

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Bill,

Another couple of great reports with some cracking photos that really give a good feel for the places described :D

Cheers,

Neil.

David M

Post by David M »

Excellent stuff, Bill.

Nice to know SPBFs are starting to emerge. Hopefully by next weekend the ragged robin will be in flower so I can find a spot and let them come to me!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Marshies Willrow and at last the Small Pearls are out - yay :D :D Look's like a trip to Bentley is on the cards :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I also love the shot of the Marsh Frit on the Orchid best although the Common Blue on the Blue Bell will take some beating Goldie :D

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Your all very generous with your comments :) and I'm feeling a bit guilty about falling behind with viewing all of your wonderful PD's...but I will - does'nt time just fly by when your having fun :roll:
Maximus wrote:Smashing photos Bill. My favourite has to be the Marsh Frit. on the Orchid :D

Mike
Lots of Heath-spotted Orchid appearing at the reserve now Mike and the Marshies luv' em :P
Neil Freeman wrote: Another couple of great reports with some cracking photos that really give a good feel for the places described :D
The beautiful critters help too don't they Neil :)
David M wrote: Nice to know SPBFs are starting to emerge. Hopefully by next weekend the ragged robin will be in flower so I can find a spot and let them come to me!
Of course they will David...by the dozen :lol:
Wurzel wrote:at last the Small Pearls are out - yay :D :D Look's like a trip to Bentley is on the cards :wink:
Bentley Woods...I just love the place...go for it Wurz :)
Goldie M wrote:I also love the shot of the Marsh Frit on the Orchid best although the Common Blue on the Blue Bell will take some beating Goldie :D
Yeah Goldie...two lovely flowers, always hard to chose :wink:

Kind Regards,

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

With the sun shining and little or no wind I decided I had to go back to the Aberbargoed Grasslands NNR yesterday afternoon and do another count (see earlier post above) of the Marsh Fritillary and my efforts were amply rewarded with a very healthy 100+ butterflies counted, this improved my last count (on Monday) by more than 60% - what a difference the sunshine makes 8) I also saw at least 4 Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary that are always hyper in warmth, yet I still got a shot of one resting deep in the grasses, the species is as much at home in marshy conditions as it's relative.
One of many Marshies counted yesterday
One of many Marshies counted yesterday
Marshy sunbathing in the open...
Marshy sunbathing in the open...
With masses of bluebells available to nectar-seekers I was able to take advantage and get some of Marsh Frits having a snack :)
Marshy at lunch...
Marshy at lunch...
My apologies if this image has been seen on the Sightings thread but I had to put it here in my Personal Diary because I doubt I'll ever get another of a male Common Blue on a white bluebell, a solitary white among countless thousands of bluebells...one single shot and the insect was off onto bluebells :shock: just about managed to get at least a reasonable record shot :roll: :)
Lucky to get this shot...!!!
Lucky to get this shot...!!!
My other good fortune was managing to find the fast declining micro moth Anania funebris the White-spotted Sable for the third year running...but its like trying to pin down a 'whirling-dervish' to get a photograph and the image produced here can never really do this little beauty justice...cos' it's a really stunning little moth :)
The rather flashy named White-spotted Sable...
The rather flashy named White-spotted Sable...
Just after my adventures outlined above I noticed a male Brimstone come down to rest, he was probably knackered after chasing a determined female for miles :roll: :o and getting absolutely nowhere...and we've all been there ain't we lads :lol: :lol: and I crept up on him and took a few shots, he recovered his strength and resumed his amorous intention, seeking out her scent trail among the grasses and bluebells :wink:
One knackered Brimstone...!!!
One knackered Brimstone...!!!

Finally my day concluded with the discovery of a resting Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary that allowed me the pleasure of a side-view shot...a nice ending to a very rewarding afternoon :P
Side portrait of Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary
Side portrait of Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

You're jealous of my Glanvilles, I'm very jealous of your Small Pearl Bordered! :mrgreen:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Willrow wrote:...and I'm feeling a bit guilty about falling behind with viewing all of your wonderful PD's...but I will - does'nt time just fly by when your having fun :roll:
Tell me about it Bill...I am trying to read a couple each time I log on but the time just disappears on me :shock: .

I love the Marsh Fritillaries and that Common blue on the White Bluebell is an unusual sight for sure :D

Cheers,

Neil

David M

Post by David M »

Great stuff, Bill.

It appears that the forecast for this Saturday has gone from being very ordinary indeed to highly promising.

If things stay that way, I hope to be catching up with my local Marshies (and maybe SPBFs too).

I noticed the first blooms of ragged robin this afternoon on my way home from work so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that conditions hold until the weekend.

kevling

Post by kevling »

Bill,

Oh to be living in South Wales right now. I'm not jealous, really :lol:
I love the Marshie on the Bluebell and the earlier Common Blue too.

Regards Kev

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Thanks for the comments Kev, David, Neil and Buggy, as always - much appreciated :wink:

Kind Regards,

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

The past week has been happily spent at the Aberbargoed Grasslands NNR, Gwent (Monmouthshire) which as I may have mentioned here before is my local patch :) the Marsh Fritillary numbers are edging towards a peak, I would think the middle of next week or thereabouts, yesterday 70+ were counted in breezy conditions, I discontinued the count and moved on to check some of the other types of habitat in less well trodden parts of the reserve, I was very pleased :) to 'rediscover' a colony of Chimney Sweeper macro moth and by happy coincidence having spoken about (their loss from the reserve) only a couple of hours earlier with the Monmouthshire (Vice County 35) Butterfly and Macro Moth Recorder - Dr Martin Anthoney - I know he will be absolutely delighted to know it's still to be found on the reserve.

Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary are also making their presence felt with at least 8 individuals on the wing, one of them tired of fighting the breeze and decided to get down on the freshly emerged bracken, I think that the plant at this stage of growth and the fritillaries compliment each other perfectly...don't you :!: ...whatever, I took advantage and some of the shots taken can be viewed below.

Other species seen in order of appearance excepting those previously mentioned were as follows:- Dingy Skipper, Large & Green-veined White, Small Heath, Common Blue, Brimstone and Peacock. The day-flying moths were represented by:- Mother Shipton, Latticed Heath, Burnet Companion, Common Carpet, Brown Silver-line and of course the rediscovered Chimney Sweeper :wink:
Bracken and Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary
Bracken and Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary
S P-b Frit
S P-b Frit
Open winged pose S P-b Fritillary
Open winged pose S P-b Fritillary
S P-b Frit
S P-b Frit
The elusive Chimney Sweeper
The elusive Chimney Sweeper
Marsh Fritillary on Heath-spotted Orchid
Marsh Fritillary on Heath-spotted Orchid
Happy to pose Small Pearl...
Happy to pose Small Pearl...
Another happy to pose Pearl shot....
Another happy to pose Pearl shot....
So June now beckons and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Silver-studded Blue on the Great Orme in North Wales...just need the sunshine now 8) :P

Last edited by Willrow on Sun May 31, 2015 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Those SPBF pictures are gorgeous Bill, making me envious :mrgreen: .

And yes I do love Marshies now, they are just full of character, lovely little things. So glad the weather played ball with me :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

That penultimate SPBF image is probably the best you've ever posted on this site, Bill.

Superb effort.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic photos Willrow, I really couldn't pick which I like the best :mrgreen: :D
I also saw the White Spotted Sable Moth at Gait Barrow so it's not doing too badly, I got a glimpse of it last year as well. Goldie :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I have to agree with David - again!! :lol: (you keep taking the words out of my mouth :D ) That's also a great shot of the Chimney Sweeper moth - I am not really 'into' moths Bill (tho I could be persuaded by shots like that) but that is one I would love to see - not even sure if they are in Hants.

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Bill,
Two more Red Admirals today. I live near the South Coast so i am sure that the RAs. in this area
have flown in from the Continent. None are in pristine condition, so they are not fresh specimens,
nor could they be ex. hibernators by now,surely too late for them.
Hope you get to see some soon. Lovely images in your diary.

Best wishes,
TREVOR.

Return to “Personal Diaries”