May 2015

Discussion forum for sightings.
Philzoid

Re: May 2015

Post by Philzoid »

Another weekend and another chance to catch up on my butterfly sightings. Having the following weekend away on holiday meant I was banking for a very early Small Pearl showing at Bentley. Afterwards I'd be taking in Marsh Fritillary at Cotley with a view to hopefully picking up any of the Blue species (Brown Argus; Common; Small; Adonis but not Holly).
Saturday had been a day for other jobs so I had a limited amount of time for butterflying. A half hour or so along the canal was all I was able to get. The weather was warm and sunny and I was expecting Orange-tip to show up, but alas no :( . Only the one female seen this year in a normally fruitlful area for this species :? .
Nevertheless a good showing of Green-veined White and my first Red Admiral sighting this year made it worthwhile. In addition I was able to observe a pairing of Cauchas rumifitrella longhorn moths on the Garlic Mustard which lines large sections of the canal towpath.
A IMG_5440 Green-veined White, BC, Sheerwater.jpg
B IMG_5412 Red Admiral, BC, Sheerwater.jpg
Sundays forecast looked decidedly iffy but I stayed optimistic bargaining on the fact that cloudy with occasional sunny spells is often the best conditions for butterfly photography. My youngest came with me again though there wasn't the added attraction of her meeting Wurzel's daughter K as he couldn't make it :( .
We arrived at Bentley later than usual under cloudy conditions and almost immediately spotted a Pearl quartering the ground seemingly unperturbed by the coolness. A Brimstone on the other hand was grounded waiting for the sun to return.
C IMG_5519 Brimstone, EC, Bentley Wood.jpg
D IMG_5524 Pearl-bordered Fritillary, EC, Bentley Wood.jpg
The Pearls were more lively than I expected given the weather, although there were good spells of warmth when the sun broke through. Unfortunately every orange/brown butterfly that I checked was euphrosyne and not selene ...... which I suppose was expected :| . Still the day was to prove very fruitful. Firstly I encountered definitely two, perhaps three woodland Duke of Burgundy's :D
E IMG_5526 Duke of Burgundy Fritillary, EC, Bentley Wood t.jpg
F IMG_5529 Duke of Burgundy Fritillary, EC, Bentley Wood t01.jpg
And then for me a real surprise a Narrow-bordered Bee Hawk-moth which was something I've never seen before :shock: . The information board states "you might be lucky to see a Broad-bordered Bee Hawk-moth" ... well this was better :D . The moth was feeding on Bugle and never kept still so I struggled to get a decent sharp image. And then I took my eye off it for a split second and it was gone.
G IMG_5535 Narrow-bordered Bee Hawk-moth, EC, Bentley Wood.jpg
H IMG_5543 Narrow-bordered Bee Hawk-moth, EC, Bentley Wood.jpg
I IMG_5556 Narrow-bordered Bee Hawk-moth, EC, Bentley Wood.jpg
Ancylis uncella, another 'lifer'
Ancylis uncella, another 'lifer'
K IMG_5581 Duke of Burgundy Fritillary, EC, Bentley Wood.jpg
Moving on from Bentley taking in a pub lunch in Winterslow and getting lost en route to Cotley we made it with only a hour and a half available to explore. By this time the weather had become cloudier and cooler and the 'masses of Marshies' did not materialise, well not the adults anyway. We discovered plenty of wandering larvae :) .
A few fresh examples were about and one of them was seemed willing to warm itself up on my daughter's finger.
L IMG_5625 Marsh Fritillary, Cotley Hill.jpg
M IMG_5633 Marsh Fritillary, Cotley Hill.jpg
Shortly afterwards I spotted Brown Argus and Grizzled Skipper.
N IMG_5630 Brown Argus, Cotley Hill.jpg
Knowing time was short I focussed the remaining time on looking for a Wall Brown. On previous years at Cotley I'd found them but this is a species that often eludes me. When I do get it its more often than not one or two butterflies max for the season (the exception being High and Over with Badger Bob ...but back then I was using a cheap compact :roll: :wink: ). The only area I'd seen them was on the South facing steep slope basking on exposed chalk soil around rabbit hole scrapes. When I got to that area a cool wind was blowing along the channel created by the slope and a line of trees at the foot of the slope. Absolutely nothing could be found there :| . I made my way down and came across a mating pair of Brown Argus in a sheltered area :D .
O IMG_5685 Brown Argus, Cotley Hill.jpg
After that I was just about to give up muttering to myself "you win some you lose some" when there it was, a Wall Brown on a chalk soil scrape as I'd anticipated :D . Moving closer with each shot I was able to get this record shot before it spooked and the wind caught it and took it away.
P IMG_5694 Wall Brown, Cotley Hill.jpg
Overjoyed with my sightings it then dawned on me that I had to get moving for home :( . However one last surprise awaited. Another butterflier I'd met had spent some time observing Stonechats and on my way out he showed me the location of a nest with chicks 8) . Another first to round off another great day :D .

Phil
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Looks like you had a cracking day - I'm glad you got the Walls and Marshies - sorry about having to let you down :( . Still we should be good for Heaths as I have earnt a ton of Brownie points so far this year! :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Wurzel wrote:Looks like you had a cracking day - I'm glad you got the Walls and Marshies - sorry about having to let you down :( . Still we should be good for Heaths as I have earnt a ton of Brownie points so far this year! :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Thanks Wurzel I reckon we could fit in another trip to Cotley before the Heaths :)

Phil
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

We had at least 4 Glanville Fritillary at Hutchinson's Bank today, in dull weather, hopefully we will get some sunshine soon.
Grizzled and Dingy Skippers were mostly the other butterflies seen. The Usual Glanville hot spots provided the sightings,
The Bench on the bend in the cutting, is a sheltered area where you can see them in the scrapes.
There are 2 butterfly walks this weekend.
DSC00027s.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Coolish day (13c) with light to moderate breeze today in Swansea, but towards midday the clouds broke up and the sun came out!

I popped down to Danygraig Cemetery on the east of the city and spotted the following:

Common Blue, Wall Brown, Large White, Small White, male Brimstone, Small Copper and Speckled Wood.
1CB2(1).jpg
1WallB(1).jpg
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

David M
popped down to Danygraig Cemetery
Maybe you should plan your future there David - all in the interests of the next generation of butterfliers of course :P

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Jack Harrison wrote:Maybe you should plan your future there David - all in the interests of the next generation of butterfliers of course
I can think of worse things than to have Wall Browns sit on my resting place in perpetuity! :)
The Doc

Post by The Doc »

MrSp0ck wrote:We had at least 4 Glanville Fritillary at Hutchinson's Bank today, in dull weather, hopefully we will get some sunshine soon.
Grizzled and Dingy Skippers were mostly the other butterflies seen. The Usual Glanville hot spots provided the sightings,
The Bench on the bend in the cutting, is a sheltered area where you can see them in the scrapes.
There are 2 butterfly walks this weekend.
I am thinking of travelling down from Cheshire to try to see the Glanville Fritillaries so would be grateful for any info MrSp0ck, especially the info on the Butterfly Walks that you mention. Thanks in anticipation :)
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

I would only travel any distance in a period of stable weather, this week we have had cloud and sun then hail and thunder storms. Thursday and Friday look like better weather so will get an idea of the actual numbers around at the moment. I plan to do the butterfly transect thursday so will have an idea. Glanville numbers seen each day since saturday 6,8,9,9,4.

The Drop down to 4 today, is mainly due to the weather, after 9.30am it went to thick cloud with a cold wind, except for a few 10 minute sunny spells when they opened their wings and were spotted.

The walk details are 10.40am Saturday Farleigh Dean Crescent (FDC) Addington, Surrey, CR0 9AD TQ377620 , and 11am Sunday at FDC. There is very limited parking in FDC.

We have people on site most days, to help people find the hot spots for the best chance of a sighting, although on Tuesday they were seen in most areas of the site. Ive drawn the short straw for this again the next 2 days.

details are on the Surrey BC site
http://butterfly-conservation.org/286/s ... ranch.html

and my blog
http://spock-butterflies.blogspot.co.uk/
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

On another trip into Kent with Badger Bob to see Duke of Burgundy and orchids a various sites, I found this female DoB (ab.albomaculata) at Denge.
Attachments
Duke of Burgundy (f) (ab.albomaculata) 20.5.15 Denge, Kent. Downland boy.JPG
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

We had 30+ Glanvilles at Hutchinson's Bank today, although the numbers dropped after 2pm. 13 were counted along the cutting at 11am, and 8 together in the entrance to the big scrape where its sheltered and plenty of foodplant.

I think all the visitors today managed to see Glanvilles.
DSC00041s.JPG
other butterflies seen

Small Blue, Small Copper, Small Heath, Small White, Orange Tip, Green Hairstreak, Common Blue, Brown Argus, Holly Blue, Comma, Peacock, Brimstone,
Dingy Skipper, Grizzled Skipper, Speckled Wood.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Glanvilles at Hutchinson's Bank
I am confused.

Is this the introduced colony that was apparently fenced off by "developers" (there was a thread about that a couple of years ago - I vaguely recall it was in an old quarry) or is Hutchinson's Bank a different site?

So how long has Hutchinson's Bank had Glanvilles and what is their origin?

Jack
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Jack Harrison wrote:
Glanvilles at Hutchinson's Bank
I am confused.

Is this the introduced colony that was apparently fenced off by "developers" (there was a thread about that a couple of years ago - I vaguely recall it was in an old quarry) or is Hutchinson's Bank a different site?

So how long has Hutchinson's Bank had Glanvilles and what is their origin?

Jack
The Quarry was the Wrecclesham site, which is being developed, but has not had Glanvilles since 2013. Hutchinsons Bank is a LNR Nature Reserve with 37 Species of Butterfly, often 33 Species on the Transect. Its managed as undercliff along the cutting with scrapes for Small Blues and Glanvilles. The Glanvilles appeared in 2011, most probably from Wrecclesham larvae. Although the site had Glanvilles a long time ago , when the butterfly was called the Dullidge Fritillary [Dulwich] which is a few miles away.

Hutchinsons Bank is a very warm site, with sheltered areas, lots of bare ground, and vast areas of plantain.

Those seeing the Glanvilles today can confirm how they like the reserve, they are acting as they would on the IOW, males sunning on most paths, flying up to challenge any thing that passes [we had a Peacock, Common Blue, being chased by a Glanville at the same time] today. The females are less easy to spot, there were 3 females including the one in the picture above in the same area, a male flew over them and tried to pair with the male in the picture above [lower butterfly] silly thing.
Last edited by MrSp0ck on Thu May 21, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Thanks for that info MrSp0ck. It clears up my confusion.

Sadly it would take me two days to get to Hutchinson's bank, one day on site and then two days back - not really viable from here on Mull :)

But I might, just might, be moving to the Nairn area (east of Inverness) where I guess I will have to be content with Small Blue, Dingy Skipper and Northern Brown Argus.

Jack
Greenie

Post by Greenie »

A very poor return on today's transect at High Elms LNR near Bromley , was brightened by my first Large Skipper of the year .

This afternoon at Hutchinsons Bank near Croydon , 7/8 Glanville Fritillary and a Painted Lady .

The other day at High Elms , I found this caterpillar , in it's tent , whilst looking for White Admiral larvae on Honeysuckle

Any ideas ?
Attachments
_MG_7116.JPG
_MG_7084.JPG
_MG_7345.JPG
_MG_7276.JPG
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Super shot of a GF :D .

Tony M.
A_T

Post by A_T »

Some nice Common Blues at Fenn's Moss this afternoon - also a few Brimstone around as well as my first White-faced Darter of the year.

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Had a few spare hours yesterday ,so I visited a local downland site ,which used to be a good Duke sight ,but sadly no more,i give it a go most seasons but haven't been lucky here,for some years,i was lucky with the Adonis blues though,seeing about 20+,mostly males ,but also 3 or 4 laying females,also several Dingy Skippers ,Brown Argus,a couple of Common Blues,a Green hairstreak,and very happily 7 Wall Brown,and as you're all aware the very Devil to photograph! I got caught in a Heavy shower so disappeared up into the Beech wood,hoping for a Birds nest orchid,but no joy,but I did find a massive clump of Ramsons which looked just like snow. Sadly at this site I rarely find Fly orchids anymore,like the Dukes ,they seem to have gone,but I did find a single Man orchid just coming into flower. Today (21st) I had a late Afternoon visit to (normally) a good Grizzled Skipper site,Ionly found the one ,but luckily an aberration,couldn' make my mind up Taras or intermedia ?? any thoughts. regards Allan.W.
DSCF9535.JPG
DSCF9507.JPG
DSCF9482.JPG
DSCF9502.JPG
DSCF9469.JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Lots of Wall's on the South Downs Way between Eastbourne and Beachy head today:
Wall male, South Downs Way, Eastbourne #37.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
The Doc

Post by The Doc »

Thanks for the info MrSp0ck, may try to get there this weekend, will try to choose the best day weatherwise & set off early!! Sorry for the late reply been up to see the Duke at Gait Barrows & the first flowering Lady's Slipper Orched there :)
Attachments
Duke of Burgundy PB web 8123a.jpg

Return to “Sightings”