Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Bill, thanks for the great comments, very much appreciated :D

Thanks Pauline :D I have trouble keeping up with everyone's diaries myself now that loads of species are about and people are off all over the place seeing them.

Hi Goldie, thanks for your comments on the whites :D . I am still playing about to find the best combination of metering and exposure for the whites but I think am getting the hang of it now. I had just about got it sorted on my FZ150 but the FZ200 take a slightly brighter photo for any given settings in comparison.

Tuesday 12th May

True to sods law, after a mostly dull and cloudy weekend, the sun came out yesterday (Monday) when I was back at work and it turned into a beautiful if breezy afternoon, at least it was a warm breeze compared to the nippy one we had at the weekend.
Today was similar after a wet start with clouds this morning clearing for another lovely afternoon.

On both afternoons I went into the garden after work and chilled out for a bit and as usual took a few photos of whatever butterflies turned up. The first arrival yesterday was a tired looking Peacock, not surprising that it was looking a bit worse for wear now considering that it has been around since last July.
Peacock - Coverdale 11.05.2015
Peacock - Coverdale 11.05.2015
As well as a couple of male Orange-tips yesterday there was also a female that was noticeably smaller compared with most I have seen. She was also the first female I have seen in the garden so far this year despite me seeing other females locally weeks ago.
Orange-tip female - Coverdale 11.05.2015
Orange-tip female - Coverdale 11.05.2015
The male Orange-tips were back again today with one individual identified by a tear in his left hindwing and the other, which I didn't get a photo of, looking like he had taken a real battering in the heavy rain and hail we had last week.
Orange-tip male - Coverdale 12.05.2015
As usual there were a couple of male Speckled Woods about with one individual spending some time nectaring on the Forget-Me-Nots,
Speckled Wood - Coverdale 12.05.2015
I also spotted a little Mint Moth ( pyrausta aurata). The photo below is a fairly tight crop of a shot taken about 3 feet away on full zoom.
Mint Moth - Coverdale 12.05.2015
Mint Moth - Coverdale 12.05.2015
Bye for now,

Neil

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That second OT really stands out Neil, it's a cracker. :mrgreen: Slightly worn Peacocks and Specklies - where's the spring disappearing too :shock:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel, that's the trouble isn't it, we wait for the season to begin and when it gets here it goes by too quick.

Wednesday 13th May

Last November my department at work moved to a new facility at Ryton just outside of Coventry. The downside of this is that I now have extra travelling time from where I live in Solihull but there is a bonus in that this location is only a couple of miles away from Ryton Wood and the Warwickshire BC reserve at Ryton Wood Meadows.
Up until now I have not been able to take advantage of this as I my lunch break is just 30 minutes which means that as soon as I got there I would have to turn around and come back. The weather has also often been against me on the days when I could have gone straight after work. Normally I go straight home as I do all the cooking in our house since my wife Jane had her stroke a few years ago which has left her with limited strength and movement in her right hand which means she struggles in the kitchen.
My chance came on Wednesday as Jane was spending the day at her moms and then going out to bingo which meant that I did not have to head straight home. With a bit of decent weather forecast I remembered to take my camera to work so I could go straight to Ryton Wood afterwards.

I arrived just after 4.00pm and walked through the wood towards the meadows, enjoying the display of bluebells and noticing a number of Peacocks flying about in the clearings along the way.
Ryton Wood - 13.05.2015
Ryton Wood - 13.05.2015
I walked through to the area of the meadows along the edge of the wood which is one of the best spots for Green Hairstreaks here and I soon spotted a couple of males spiralling about above a hawthorn. During the next couple of hours as I slowly wandered up and down this side of the wood I must have seen a dozen or more, mostly males scrapping around the tops of hawthorns. I have noticed before that later in the afternoon, especially if there is a bit of cloud about as there was today, the male Green Hairstreaks would tend to calm down a bit and settle a bit lower down where it is easier to get a photo. Having said that I still made full use of the articulated screen on my FZ200 to stretch up and get some of the shots below.
Green Hairstreak - Ryton Wood Meadows 13.05.2015
One individual behaved differently, fluttering about amongst the low down vegetation and ‘tasting’ the leaves with her feet, which led me to believe it was a female. She also settled regularly on patches of bare ground where she appeared to be taking minerals.
In this area there were also a couple of Grizzled Skippers, at least two and possible three individuals although the shots below are of the same one,
Grizzled Skipper - Ryton Wood Meadows 13.05.2015
There were also maybe a dozen or so Dingy Skippers which, as with the Green Hairstreaks, it was difficult to get an exact count of because of the way they were chasing each other about. Around 6.00pm these were starting to look like they were settling down to roost although, with a nice bit of early evening sun, they were still fairly active. As they slowed down a bit they started to settle higher up in some classic poses and I took quite a few photos which I will post separately so that this post does not get too long.

Other Butterflies seen during the couple of hours spent here were Peacocks, Brimstones, Orange-tips, Holly Blue and my first Small Copper of the year. I didn't notice at the time but looking at the shots of the Small Copper afterward, I reckon it is a female.
Small Copper - Ryton Wood Meadows 13.05.2015
Small Copper - Ryton Wood Meadows 13.05.2015
Bye for now,

Neil.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I love your Hairstreak shots, since I saw my very first one a few weeks ago i've fallen in love with them. When the sun catches the green at just the right angle they truly stunning little things!

Also got my first Small Copper earlier this week which I suspect was a female as well!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Great GHS shots Neil! Numbers 4 and 6 are my favourites. They are stunning when they are fresh aren't they. :D

ATB

James

David M

Post by David M »

That 3rd Green Hairstreak image portrays an individual with a particularly bold set of underside 'streaks'.

Lovely specimen.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lushious Greenstreaks Neil and I really like the composition of the second Grizzlies shot it's a cracker :D :mrgreen: After work stop-offs often offer some of the best butterflying Neil, for the same reason that Scrumped apples taste all the sweeter I suppose.

Have a goodin

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Beautiful Hairstreaks, Neil. They were just waiting for the sunshine! :D Historically, my best shots of Green Hairstreaks have all been taken there.That spot you describe is a very fruitful one for them and for Grizzlies, as well as the odd Dingy too. I envy you your proximity - there would be lots of extended lunch hours if I were working nearby... :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Dave

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thank you all for the great comments, much appreciated as always :D

Wednesday 13th April - Part 2.

As mentioned in the previous report from Ryton Wood Meadows, I also saw something like a dozen or so Dingy Skippers whilst I was there. When I first arrived at this spot after walking through the wood they were quite active, chasing each other about and usually settling to bask fairly low down on the vegetation.
Ryton Wood Meadows - 13.05.2015
Ryton Wood Meadows - 13.05.2015
Dingy Skipper - Ryton 13.05.2015
Later in the afternoon, around 5.45pm, the Dingies started to slow down a bit and look like they were maybe settling down to roost, but with the sun being obscured by occasional clouds and then coming out again, they would settle and then be off on another burst of activity. Nevertheless, I managed to get some photos in nice poses which are probably the best Dingy Skippers shots I have managed to date as I usually see this species in the afternoon when they are most active.
I left about 6.30pm to head back and face the horrendous road works on the A45 but even this prospect couldn't take the shine of a great couple of hours.

Bye for now,

Neil

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Excellent report Neil, your highly competent with your Panasonic Lumix FZ200, the Green Hairstreak images are crackers and do full justice to the species while your Grizzled and Dingy Skipper pics ain't half bad either :wink:

Quality time...well earned after a working shift, and the weather was also kind for you 8)

Best Wishes,

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
William

Post by William »

Those Dingies are cracking Neil - very jealous :)

BWs

William

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Lovely pictures Neil, Dingies do such a great job in making greys and browns attractive :) And they do look cute whilst roosting :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

What can I say that has not already been said, you have done the Dingy Skipper proud Neil great photos! :D

All the best

James

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Many thanks everyone for all the great comments :D . It was great for once to be able to spend some time with the butterflies as they slowed down later in the day.

Friday 15th May.

After a horrendously wet Thursday, the weather cleared up again on Friday for a day of mixed sun and cloud although there was a fairly cool breeze blowing most of the time. As usual on a Friday, I finished work at lunchtime and then had some running about to do, between which I pottered about in the garden.
The first butterfly that caught my attention was a female Speckled Wood that was fluttering about low down amongst the vegetation,
Speckled Wood female - Coverdale 15.05.2015
As I watched her she appeared to be laying eggs on some of the blades of grass and taking a couple of quick photos, I managed to catch her right in the act of depositing one,
There were also a few Green-veined Whites about, at least two different males and a female,
Green-veined White male - Coverdale 15.05.2015
Green-veined White female - Coverdale 15.05.2015
Green-veined White female - Coverdale 15.05.2015
The only other butterflies seen were single Holly Blue and Large white, definitely less butterfly activity in the garden than there was before the heavy rain on Thursday.

Saturday 16th May.

A very similar day weather-wise to Friday, a mix of cloud and sun with a blustery wind that felt quite cool, especially when the sun went in. Later in the morning during the sunnier spells, the usual suspects started to show up in the garden, starting with a Peacock, a different one to the one that has been hanging around recently,
Peacock - Coverdale 16.05.2015
Peacock - Coverdale 16.05.2015
The male Specklies were also soon up and about and laying claim to their corners,
Speckled Wood male - Coverdale 16.05.2015
Speckled Wood male - Coverdale 16.05.2015
With a bit of time spare in the afternoon I decided to check out the public footpath at Bickenhill where I had looked a few weeks ago and see if I could find any Small Coppers or maybe Common Blues. Almost immediately on setting off down the path I was ‘buzzed’ by a Peacock and along the first hundred yards or so there were two Peacocks and Two Small Tortoiseshells contesting their bits of territory,
Small Tortoiseshell - Bickenhill 16.05.2015
Small Tortoiseshell - Bickenhill 16.05.2015
After a couple of false alarms from Burnet Companion Moths I eventually found what I was looking for, a Small Copper, which curiously turned out to be a female, as was the one I saw at Ryton last week. That is my first two Small Coppers this year being females and no males seen yet.
Small Copper - Bickenhill 16.05.2015
Also seen here were singles of Small White and Orange-tip. No Common Blues yet but with the first one in Warwickshire only being reported a few days ago, it is early days.

Bye for now,

Neil

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Coppers Neil, we're really struggling here for Butterflies, hope fully we'll get some warmer weather soon until then we can only admire what people post so keep it up Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

You've taken so,e great shots recently Neil but that ovipositing Specklie is a real gem :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

I have to second Wurzel's opinion there, Neil. Almost impossible to get a better picture of an ovipositing butterfly. I'd be very pleased to have taken that - though I'd probably still be flat on the ground now... How did you get underneath it like that? :o :D

Dave

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Agreed. One of the best i have seen. I loved your Grizzled Skippers,too. Is it my imagination,or have there been very few Orange Tips around this year?

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Neil, that shot of the Speckled Wood egg-laying has taken my breath away. It surely has to be a competition winner :D - why don't you put it in the behaviour section :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I wish I could get shots like that :mrgreen:

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Goldie :D I am keeping my fingers crossed for next week when I have some time off work, I keep telling myself that the weather has to pick up soon.

Cheers Wurzel, I was pretty chuffed with that shot myself. I love the fact that it looks like she has gone cross eyed with the exertion :lol:

Cheers Dave, she was actually hanging on the grass at 90 degrees to the ground and the shot was taken from a crouching position using the vari-angle screen on my lumix :D

Thanks Mark :D I saw quite a few Orange-tips around here a few weeks back but numbers have certainly dwindled since then and I have definitely had fewer in the garden this year.

Thanks Pauline :D , I wouldn't normally consider putting any of my photos into a competition, I don't really think of myself as a 'photographer', more of a bloke that is interested in Butterflies and just enjoys taking photos of them to have a record of what I see. Having said that, maybe I will think about it.

Thanks again all,

Neil.

Return to “Personal Diaries”