William

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
William

Re: William

Post by William »

Thanks Guys, I was delighted with the Commas, and the Small Copper larva continues to thrive!

Tipping Point

With the sun finally shining over the past few days, I've been delighted to see lots of the spring emergees on the patch. Orange Tips seem to be doing particularly well, really enjoying the Cuckoo Flower, Garlic Mustard and Honesty I've planted!
Orange Tip
Orange Tip
Orange Tip
Orange Tip
Orange Tip
Orange Tip
Such are the numbers that today I found an amazing 8 males roosting in a small patch of Cow Parsley in the corner of the garden - a strange sight given their normally pugnacious nature!
Spot the Orange Tips!
Spot the Orange Tips!
Orange Tips
Orange Tips

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

I wish I had 8 Orange Tips roosting in the corner of my garden William! My particular area is practically an Orange Tip fee zone. You have to travel in land a bit to find some in any numbers. I'm not finding it easy this year.

I'm really enjoying some of the thin DOF you're using in some of your images, it gives them a nice & dreamy look. Well worth sacrificing a little bit of sharpness for in my opinion. :D

All the best

James

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking OT shots - I too am really struggling with OTs this year - I keep seeing them but getting a shot is another matter entirely :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Beautiful imagies William, proving that you can never have enough Orange Tip Pictures!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Superb shots as ever, William.

We must all 'fill our boots' whilst this delightful species shares our spring.

We are a long time without them.

William

Post by William »

Thanks for the kind comments guys, much appreciated. It's always a challenge to make the most of the brief Orange Tip season, but as luck would have it, they've been coming to me :)

BWs,

William

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Your photos are a delight to view William and they always bring that something different with them.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Lovely photos William and those roosting Orange-tips are a great find.

Cheers,

Neil

William

Post by William »

Thanks Pauline and Neil - it's more Orange Tips I'm afraid!

Recent Doings

Unfortunately, Orange Tips remain the only thing I've really had the chance to photograph so far this year, owing to rubbish weather and a lack of time on my hands, they're proving very accommodating, enjoying the Garlic Mustard and Bluebells in the garden, there are few butterflies I like more, so charismatic!
Orange Tips
Orange Tips
Orange Tip - Female
Orange Tip - Female
Orange Tips
Orange Tips
Orange Tip - Female
Orange Tip - Female
Orange Tip - Female
Orange Tip - Female
I realised a long-held ambition today when I found a mating pair in my 'wild patch' - all that gardening was worth it!
Orange Tips
Orange Tips
Orange Tips
Orange Tips
And whilst looking for Early Purple Orchids yesterday I spotted this male perched on my quarry, my two favourite things in one photo!
Orange Tip
Orange Tip
Finally, one of the Brown Hairstreak larvae I rescued from a flail-cut hedgerow earlier this year.
Brown Hairstreak Larva
Brown Hairstreak Larva

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Superb orange tip on orchid photo!

William

Post by William »

Thanks Katrina - I was delighted to get it!

Odds and Sods

The weather has been pretty poor here recently, and has prevented me from getting out and making the spring Duke/Dingy and Grizzled Skipper pilgrimage (yet!) Still, there has been plenty going on in the garden.

Orange Tips...
Orange Tip
Orange Tip
And their eggs...
Orange Tip Ovum
Orange Tip Ovum
Orange Tip Ova
Orange Tip Ova
And best of all, a sight I have waited for (for several years), a freshly-emerged, 'home-grown' Common Blue, I found him this morning, drying his wings on my specially-planted Bird's Foot Trefoil, and managed a few pictures as he took his first flight - stunningly fresh!
Common Blue
Common Blue
Common Blue
Common Blue
Common Blue
Common Blue
Common Blue
Common Blue
Common Blue
Common Blue

David M

Post by David M »

Great images of the Common Blue, William.

They're absolutely divine when fresh and you couldn't have captured one any earlier in its adult life cycle.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Your OT shots have been superb William :mrgreen: . You must be finding it wonderfully rewarding to have your gardening efforts starting to pay off and be able to view the results on your doorstep :D. Motivation for others to follow in your footsteps.

William

Post by William »

Thanks David - it was positively shining! You're quite right Pauline, it's been a real joy to see the butterflies flocking to the garden this spring. It's taken some (but not all) of the challenge out of photography!

Kicking Off

With a bit of warm weather over the past couple of days, it's been nice to see things getting going on the patch. Yesterday, I enjoyed my first Small Coppers of the year, and at the same spot, the rather strange sight of this Painted Lady feeding on Bluebells, two sights I normally associate with different ends of the year.
Painted Lady
Painted Lady
The Brown Hairstreak larvae are thriving...
Brown Hairstreak Larva - First Instar
Brown Hairstreak Larva - First Instar
Brown Hairstreak Larva - Second Instar
Brown Hairstreak Larva - Second Instar
Buoyed by the Common Blue I found in the garden, I visited a local spot and was delighted to see large numbers already on the wing (c.30), with mating pairs and a good mix of males and females.
Common Blues
Common Blues
Special Edition Common Blue
Special Edition Common Blue
Common Blues
Common Blues
Common Blues
Common Blues
Common Blue
Common Blue

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Loving that last shot in particular, William! Nice work!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
William

Post by William »

Thanks Pete - nice to get a bit of the place in the background, and a lovely place it is too!

Recent Doings

Unfortunately, I've been very busy recently, but this weekend managed to sneak out and look for some butterflies, well worth the effort! First stop was Buckland Wood, under heavy cloud. It's not a place I've visited before, having always been lucky at Thurlbear, but, being in the area this year, I thought I'd give it a go. It's rather like Thurlbear, but more open, and less oppressive, and (apparently) more Dukes, though I didn't manage to find any in the rubbish weather.

Still, there were plenty of Dingy Skippers around to keep me amused, and a quick look revealed a few eggs on Bird's Foot Trefoil.
Dingy Skipper
Dingy Skipper
Dingy Skipper
Dingy Skipper
Dingy Skipper
Dingy Skipper
Dingy Skipper Ovum
Dingy Skipper Ovum
Next up was Thurlbear in the evening sun, which was, as ever, cracking. Lots of Dingy Skippers were seen, along with abundant Common Blues and Small Heaths, and my target, Grizzled Skipper. Dukes have apparently been scarce there this year, and I worry for their future.
Grizzled Skipper
Grizzled Skipper
Grizzled Skipper
Grizzled Skipper
The Small Copper larva finally emerged yesterday - delighted to have reared him from egg right through to adult, thank you Pete for all your advice!
Small Copper Larva
Small Copper Larva
Small Copper Pupa
Small Copper Pupa
Small Copper Pupa
Small Copper Pupa
Small Copper Pupa - 2 Days Before Emergence
Small Copper Pupa - 2 Days Before Emergence
Small Copper Pupa - 1 Day Before Emergence
Small Copper Pupa - 1 Day Before Emergence
Small Copper
Small Copper
The Brown Hairstreak larvae are all second instar now and quite active feeders.
Brown Hairstreak Larva
Brown Hairstreak Larva
Brown Hairstreak Larva
Brown Hairstreak Larva
Orange Tip larvae are hatching on the Garlic Mustard too, this one was pretending to be one of Guy's Purple Emperor caterpillars, hiding in a rain drop!
Orange Tip Larva
Orange Tip Larva

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Very interesting photos William, keep them coming Goldie :D

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Your Common Blue's somehow passed me by when you posted them :oops: those wide shots are fantastic :). Might have to have a browse through the trefoils looking for Dingy eggs now, they look like they may be quite obvious. (As far as butterfly eggs are concerned at any rate!)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
William

Post by William »

Thanks Goldie and Bugboy, more luck than judgement with the Dingy egg, it was on the first Trefoil that I searched! I think they prefer shorter growth, the kind that you find in stony areas and anthills - good luck, and well done with those Glanvilles :)

BWs,

William

Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Excellent shots William! For anyone wanting to locate Dingy Skipper eggs, take a look at this:

http://www.warwickshire-butterflies.org ... s-2008.pdf

I found 4 today in the space of 15 minutes at Greenham Common.

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com

Return to “Personal Diaries”