MikeOxon

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: MikeOxon

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Mike, I found that although I use exposure compensation my pictures are still too Bright, so I've been interested in what you said to Pauline, I'll a just even lower and see what results I get when the weather is really sunny :D

I also find that I'm missing sharpness in my photos, I'd be pleased for some advice on that. :D
I wondered also if I'm in the right metre setting, I keep it
usually in evaluative metre, but there's also Partial metering and centre weighted on my camera which is a Canon 1100 , I saw the difference
your metering did with the Green Hair Streak and it made me wonder if I was in the right setting , I also noticed my photos of the Green Veined White didn't show detail too much, it seems I've a lot to learn Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I'll PM you with my thoughts, Goldie.

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
jonhd

Post by jonhd »

Hi Mike (I guess this topic - discussion of MFT camera merits/de-merits - should really go in the Photography forum...).

I've been contemplating MFT, too. Currently have ageing (like me!) Nikon D90 + loads of lenses, and FZ200.

- DSLR + suitable lens is now, for me, too heavy to lug around (although the D5500 is pretty light...).
- FZ200 - PQ not up to snuff with heavy cropping.

Quite taken with the Sony a6000 (E-mount, I think), but also interested in Olympus (esp. the 5-axis in-camera stabilisation). One question - you've recently purchased, but (guessing) didn't go for the latest Mk. II version of the OM-D E-M5. Any regrets (going for the Mk. I)? Am assuming you went for something like the Travel kit bundle - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-Kit-M-Z ... 00BGO0GUI/ - as being fantastic "bang for the bucks"...

PM, if you prefer (and have the time).

Cheers, Jon

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Hi Jon,

Sounds like you are thinking along exactly the same lines as myself! Yes, i did buy the 'travel kit' but, in addition, my wife has a PEN with 17mm 'pancake', so I have a 'back-up' body when travelling. It's too early for me to make sensible comments on performance in the field but the weather-proofing of the E-M5 is very important to me. Many of the new features of the Mk II seem to be aimed at video users or are gimmicks but I do like the idea of the fully rotate-able screen. The 'package deal' price was attractive enough to sway me :)

Mike

jonhd

Post by jonhd »

Thanks Mike - helpful, as ever!

A fully-articulated screen (as on the FZ200, too!) would be a big boon for me (I use it when using close-up lenses / Raynox DCR-150)... But, MkII E-M5 (plus lenses) out of the question financially, for now. Was also a trifle put-off by this review http://cameraergonomics.blogspot.com.au ... eview.html (wrt to the complex menus).

Think I'll keep looking / reading reviews / prevaricating :?

Jon

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I decided to visit my local Duke site, today (4th May), to see if any were around but, despite it being quite sunny, there was a cold breeze and the area seemed to be a 'butterfly-free zone'.

Eventually, I found a single Peacock, cowering deep in the grass, and a Burnet Companion moth, which gave me a chance to try out my Tamron 90mm macro lens with the Olympus OM-D. I appreciated the feature whereby this camera can provide a magnified image in the viewfinder, when using manual-focus lenses.
Lambourn Downs - 4th May 2015<br />Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 90mm Tamron macro lens - 1/160s@f9.5 ISO400
Lambourn Downs - 4th May 2015
Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 90mm Tamron macro lens - 1/160s@f9.5 ISO400
After this rather disappointing start, I received a text message from my son that he was heading for Lough Down (near Streatley), so I met him there. Again, there were very few butterflies to be seen on the slope but, up near the car-park, were several Orange Tips, Brimstones, and Holly Blues. I was especially pleased to see the Orange Tips, as I had not taken any photos of them so far this year.
Lough Down - 4th May 2015<br />Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 40-150 lens - 1/500s@f/8 ISO400
Lough Down - 4th May 2015
Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 40-150 lens - 1/500s@f/8 ISO400
Lough Down - 4th May 2015<br />Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 40-150 lens - 1/800s@f/10 ISO400
Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 40-150 lens - 1/800s@f/10 ISO400
We then spotted a mating pair, being harassed by a second male, and I managed a collection of shots of the encounter.
Eventually the intruder left the pair in peace and I took a few more shots, all with the 40-150 zoom lens at its longest setting.
Lough Down - 4th May 2015<br />Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 40-150 lens - 1/1000s@f/11 ISO400
Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 40-150 lens - 1/1000s@f/11 ISO400
The lens is a good performer, even though it is considered a 'budget' lens by Olympus, and I was able to make a crop of this head-on close-up. It looks slightly strange, as the antennae are different colours and slightly offset. Unfortunately, I didn't study this butterfly more closely at the time but now wonder if it might have been a bilateral gynandromorph.
Lough Down - 4th May 2015<br />Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 40-150 lens - 1/1000s@f/11 ISO400
Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 40-150 lens - 1/1000s@f/11 ISO400
Even more unfortunately, I next learned, the hard way, that battery life on the Olympus is much less than on my Nikon. I had just fitted my Tamron macro lens for more close-ups, when I got the dreaded 'Battery Low' message, so closing play for the day! Next task is to buy some spare batteries :)

Mike

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Mike,
I would imagine the images of the Orange Tip pair, with intruder, more than made up for the
lack of Dukes. Superb stuff !

Best wishes,
TREVOR.

jonhd

Post by jonhd »

Yes, smashing OT pics, Mike. How much of a crop is that pair at "full zoom"? Worth getting a suitable +1 dioptre close-up lens (assuming the 40-150 is front-threaded)?

Jon

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Thank you for your comments, Trevor and Jon. I am very pleased with the performance of the OM-D, so far, especially since I am still at the 'fingers and thumbs' stage. I shall have to watch out for the battery life, though, which was very frustrating when I had such amenable subjects :)

The mating pair is essentially a vertical crop from a horizontal original. The 40-150 has a 58mm filter thread and, since Olympus charge a ridiculous £60 for their MCON-01 close-up lens, which is only a single element, I shall try my current Hoya +1 dioptre lens some time.

The link about camera ergonomics was very interesting also, Jon. A different 'take' on reviewing cameras. I enjoyed a nostalgic read of his comments on the Pentax Spotmatic - surely one of the all-time greats, which I have seen referred to as the "SLR Leica".

Mike

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great photos Mike, I did manage the Duke yesterday after the cold wind dropped the temp went high and I tried the lower exposure to get some shots of him, some seemed okay but the Duke kept going into the shadier places once he stated to fly. Goldie :D

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Today's forecast (11th May) was a little mis-leading - in my region it was supposed to be very warm and sunny, though possibly with more cloud increasing from the West. So, I decided to set out for the Cirencester area, to look for Pearl-bordered Fritillaries. It was indeed bright and sunny when I set out, at about 9:30, but cloud thickened during my journey and, when I reached Cirencester, it was raining :(

I had a quick look at Hailey Wood, to check that the habitat was looking in good condition, and then, noticing that the sky looked clearer to the west, headed on towards Rodborough Common. By the time I got there, the sun was shining and I had a very pleasant walk photographing Early Purple Orchids, before heading for one of the Duke of Burgundy locations. At first, I thought I was out of luck but then I spotted a lone individual, basking on a leaf in the increasingly warm sun:
Rodborough Common - 11th May 2015<br />Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - 1/800s@f/9 ISO400
Rodborough Common - 11th May 2015
Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - 1/800s@f/9 ISO400
With the weather now much more promising, I headed back to Hailey Wood and soon saw my first Pearl-bordered Fritillary. I have noticed that several dark specimens have been seen this year and this one was no exception:
Hailey Wood, Cirencester - 11th May 2015<br />Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - 1/800s@f/9 ISO400
Hailey Wood, Cirencester - 11th May 2015
I nearly trod an another, which was on the ground, but, fortunately, it only moved a short distance, before settling again and giving me the opportunity to take some underwing views:
Hailey Wood, Cirencester - 11th May 2015<br />Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - 1/640s@f/8 ISO400
Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - 1/640s@f/8 ISO400
A little later, I spotted a mating pair in a very inaccessible location in (I think) a Spruce tree. I managed an against-the-light shot, through the intervening branches:
Hailey Wood, Cirencester - 11th May 2015<br />Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - 1/500s@f/8 ISO400
Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - 1/500s@f/8 ISO400
Last but not least, I managed to capture the view I really wanted, of a PBF nectaring on a Bluebell:
Hailey Wood, Cirencester - 11th May 2015<br />Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - 1/640s@f/9 ISO400
Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - 1/640s@f/9 ISO400
Apart from the PBFs, I saw a few Green-veined Whites, a single Peacock, and a couple of Grizzled Skippers:
Hailey Wood, Cirencester - 11th May 2015<br />Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - 1/800s@f/9 ISO400
Finally, not a butterfly, but a moth that sometimes confuses observers because of its brilliant colour and day-flying habit - a Cinnabar moth:
Hailey Wood, Cirencester - 11th May 2015<br />Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - 1/500s@f/8 ISO400
Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - 1/500s@f/8 ISO400
In the end, it was a very satisfying day, despite an un-promising start, and I was very pleased with the light weight of my new Olympus outfit, which also gave a good performance.

Mike

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Very unusual shot of the mating Pearls Mike - the 'stained glass' pose is sure to be admired by Wurzel - and that Cinnabar moth shot is stunning, very vibrant. You clearly made a good choice with your new camera.

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Nearly 40 years ago I lived in Winchcombe in the Cotswolds.

In those long-gone days. PB Frit was not difficult to find in the Cotswolds. Localities included Guiting Wood with an especially good colony near Hilcot (about 5 kms to the south of Andoversford) at SO997153. I didn't explore as much as I should have done - I would find a colony and stick with that. The OS map shows extensive woodland in that Hilcot area which is within 10 kms of the known colony in Hailey Wood. I wouldn't mind betting that PBF still lurks in some undiscovered clearing. Withington and Chedworth Woods are obvious places to look (along the dismantled rail perhaps?).

The entire area certainly looks promising on Google Earth.

Jack
Last edited by Jack Harrison on Tue May 12, 2015 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

You should be well pleased with your new Olympus Mike, those shots look very promising and once your over the 'fingers and thumbs' stage there'll be no holding you, looking forward to seeing lots more :wink:

Best Wishes,

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Many thanks for the various comments. I suspect, Jack, that there are indeed many butterfly colonies away from the well-known sites. As you suggest, Google Earth can be invaluable for spotting likely places - it led me directly to the right area of Hailey Wood, for example. PBF is especially difficult, because of its need for constant renewal of its habitat, but coppicing is being practised again on several estates.

So far, I am very pleased with the Olympus and very much appreciate its light weight. The electronic viewfinder seems more 'natural' than that on the FZ200; it's easy to forget that it's not a DSLR! The way it can be set to magnify the view automatically, when using the manual focus ring on a lens, is also a great aid to achieving accurate focus. The 'budget' 40-150mm lens is amazingly versatile and I find myself using it for most of the time. I'm sure that the 12-50 macro will also prove useful but it's difficult to make a close approach to these very flighty Spring species. Even the mating pair of PBFs moved off rapidly, when someone else accidentally brushed a branch of the tree - I was glad I had got my initial 'grab shot'.

Mike

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Your Olympus OM-D E-M5 is certainly giving splendid results and a most worthwhile depth of field in the macro shots. I could be tempted myself. If.....
..... the house sale here on Mull goes well - and there are promising signs - then there should be some cash left over when we downsize. Maybe, just maybe, there might be a few quid spare. Priority will be a convertable Mini Stella craves (I can't say I wouldn't enjoy that in the less wet climate of the Moray Firth coast). I might replace (or have in addition to) my 3+ year old Lumix. It would be either a new camera or a camera equipped drone (which it has to be said, i would be terrified of losing so more likely get a static camera).

So your views please Mike on your Olympus, especially the tilting screen and the dynamic range it gives. Which lens option for mainly landscape? PM or email if you prefer.

Jack

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Glad you finally got your Duke Mike, great photos with your new Camera and you've got one up on me with the Pearls, wasted journey yesterday looking for them, what's most annoying is some ones been to Warton Craig today and seen some :( Don't you just hate that when it happens, Ah! well I'll press on regardless till the next nice day Goldie :D

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Thanks, Goldie. I'm always pleased to see PBF because it is a species that used to be found on a lot more sites, locally. I hope that, now we have a better understanding of its habitat needs, we shall see it again in Oxon before too long :)

I'll PM you about the camera, Jack.

Mike

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

On Saturday (23rd May) my son joined me for a joint visit to the Strawberry Banks reserve of the Gloucestershire Wildlife Trust. My first visit was last year (see viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7459&start=60#p84647) when I was delighted to find several Lesser Butterfly Orchids (Platanthera bifolia), as well as good numbers of Marsh Fritillaries. This return visit proved equally successful - excellent weather with plentiful orchids and butterflies.

I decided to trust to using the Olympus OM-D and left my heavy Nikon kit behind. Last year, I had found it quite a struggle, climbing over the stiles at the end of the day, but no problems with the lightweight kit! Although I still have a few minor irritations with handling the Olympus, it is proving to be an excellent performer. I took several shots with my trusty old Tamron 90mm macro but the results showed that the Olympus 12-50 Macro is more than a match, within its magnification range, especially in terms of image contrast.

Quite a few visitors were enjoying the spectacle of huge numbers of Marsh Fritillaries skimming over the slopes, along with many other species, including Dingy Skipper, Green Hairstreak, Common Blue, and Peacock. At one moment a long line of Marsh Fritillaries and Peacocks were chasing each other across the slope!
Strawberry Banks, Glos.- 23rd May 2015<br />Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - 1/320s@f/6.3 ISO400
Strawberry Banks, Glos.- 23rd May 2015
Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - 1/320s@f/6.3 ISO400
Strawberry Banks, Glos.- 23rd May 2015<br />Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - 1/400s@f/6.3 ISO400
Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - 1/400s@f/6.3 ISO400
Strawberry Banks, Glos.- 23rd May 2015<br />Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - 1/1000s@f/10 ISO400
Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - 1/1000s@f/10 ISO400

The Olympus 12-50mm lens proved extremely versatile. When I found a mating pair of Marsh Fritillaries on a Lesser Butterfly Orchid, I experimented for some time with various different camera settings. Apart from 'regular' macro shots, I also used the wide angle end of the zoom, to set both the butterflies and plants into the context of the site:
Strawberry Banks, Glos.- 23rd May 2015<br />Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 12-50mm lens - 1/320s@f/7.1 ISO400
Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 12-50mm lens - 1/320s@f/7.1 ISO400
The same lens, in macro mode, captured a more detailed view of the mating pair:
Strawberry Banks, Glos.- 23rd May 2015<br />Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 12-50mm Macro lens - 1/400s@f/10 ISO400
Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 12-50mm Macro lens - 1/400s@f/10 ISO400
It seems a pity that the Marsh Fritillaries are so small, as most of their delicate patterning can only be seen in photos or through binoculars. Visually, they are quite similar to the Small Heaths, which were also plentiful:
Strawberry Banks, Glos.- 23rd May 2015<br />Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - 1/320s@f/14 ISO400
Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - 1/320s@f/14 ISO400
The Marshies themselves were very variable; the following example shows a dark band across the trailing edge of the hind-wing:
Strawberry Banks, Glos.- 23rd May 2015<br />Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 12-50mm lens - 1/125s@f/7.1 ISO400
Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 12-50mm lens - 1/125s@f/7.1 ISO400
There were also large numbers of a small white moth, busily laying eggs. Are these Grass Rivulet (Perizoma albulata)? Visually, they appeared almost pure white. Unfortunately, my shot of ovipositing was none too sharp but the following was taken a moment later:
Strawberry Banks, Glos.- 23rd May 2015<br />Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - 1/250s@f/5.6 ISO400
Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - 1/250s@f/5.6 ISO400
A more spectacular moth find was this Eyed Hawk-moth (Smerinthus ocellata), looking exactly like a dead leaf as it roosted in the grass:
Strawberry Banks, Glos.- 23rd May 2015<br />Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 12-50mm Macro lens - 1/320s@f/10 ISO400
Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 12-50mm Macro lens - 1/320s@f/10 ISO400
A short visit to Hailey Wood, near Cirencester, showed that the Pearl-bordered Fritillaries were still active. Whereas, on my previous visit, they were busily seeking mates, they were now more concerned with nectaring from the many Bugle flowers.
Hailey Wood, Cirencester - 23rd May 2015<br />Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - 1/500s@f/7.1 ISO400
Hailey Wood, Cirencester - 23rd May 2015
Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - 1/500s@f/7.1 ISO400
All in all, an excellent day's butterflying in good weather and delightful surroundings.

Mike

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great shots Mike of the Marsh Frits, I've still to see the Pearl BF :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”