May 2015

Discussion forum for sightings.
P.J.Underwood

Re: May 2015

Post by P.J.Underwood »

My first sighting of a Wood White this year in the Chiddingfold Forest.This follows three weeks of trudging the paths and even meeting up with Pauline at the beginning,on the same task.This one is freshly emerged and I saw two others.~They seem about three weeks later than last year.There have been numerous brimstones,peacocks,small whites,a few green veined whites,the odd speckled wood,holly blues and orange underwing moths.
A warning-the Botany Bay entrance is blocked and with no parking at the moment due to works being carried out by the Forestry Commission.
P .J.U.
Attachments
Wood White
Wood White
Last edited by P.J.Underwood on Thu May 07, 2015 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

Whilst on my wanderings along the East Sussex clifftops, this early instar Dark Green Fritillary larva was also enjoying the sunshine and basking on a violet leaf.
Attachments
Dark Green Fritillary (01) (early instar larva on violet) 7.5.15 nr.Beachy Head, East Sussex. Downland boy.JPG
Dark Green Fritillary (02) (early instar larva on violet) 7.5.15 nr.Beachy Head, East Sussex. Downland boy.JPG
John W

Post by John W »

P.J.Underwood wrote:A warning-the Botany Bay entrance is blocked and with no parking at the moment due to works being carried out by the Forestry Commision.
P .J.U.
Hi P.J. - do you have any idea how long the Botany Bay entrance will be blocked for?

Thanks
John W
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

No,but there is serious work going on there at the moment.However one can just as easily park at the Tugley Wood main entrance in Fisher Lane and walk to the triangle. It is about the same distance as from Botany Bay entrance.
P.J.U.
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

At Afton Down Freshwater this afternoon. Green hairstreaks 7, brown argus 1, grizzled skipper 1, common blue 1, common lizard 1. :D Ian
Attachments
Grizzled skipper.1.jpg
Brown argus.jpg
Green hairstreaks 2.1.jpg
Common blue.1.jpg
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Kenfig NNR, South Wales. Belated sightings report from Thursday where the following species were seen - Brimstone, Large White, Small White, Green-veined White, Orange-tip, Small Copper, Small Blue, Common Blue, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock, Small Heath. Surprisingly only the vanessids were seen in double figures, while only a few Small Blue were evident. Good to see a solitary early Common Blue.

Among the Dragonflies seen enjoying the sunshine after several recent rough weather days were Four-spotted Chaser, Hairy Dragonfly and Broad-bodied Chaser :roll:

See my Personal Diary for a more comprehensive report :wink:

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"
Attachments
At the most only four Small Blue were seen during my visit
At the most only four Small Blue were seen during my visit
Probably 15 or so Peacock were seen
Probably 15 or so Peacock were seen
An early Common Blue was nice to see...
An early Common Blue was nice to see...
Small Copper
Small Copper
Green-veined White
Green-veined White
Female Broad-bodied Chaser
Female Broad-bodied Chaser
Last edited by Willrow on Sat May 09, 2015 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

downland boy wrote:Whilst on my wanderings along the East Sussex clifftops, this early instar Dark Green Fritillary larva was also enjoying the sunshine and basking on a violet leaf.
That's a great find - well done!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
David M

Post by David M »

15-20 Green Hairstreaks seen at Welshmoor, on the Gower peninsula, near Swansea this afternoon.

Other species seen were Large White, Green Veined White, Orange Tip & Peacock.
1GH1D(1).jpg
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks to Mike Mullis for leading an excellent walk at Abbot’s Wood (East Sussex) on Saturday (9.5.15). The initially poor weather gave way to warm sunshine by mid afternoon, and the Pearl-bordered Fritillaries came out to play. We saw a conservative minimum of 30 PBF and did particularly well around the original release site area, where two mating pairs were found, one of which included a stunning ab. pittionii female. Other species included Grizzled Skipper (5), Small Copper (2), Green-veined White (1) and Red Admiral (1). For me, the highlight was watching a female PBF egg-laying, and we found one of her eggs attached to a dried grass stem. Plenty of Nightingale song to serenade us, and Mike even laid on ice creams from his van!
BC PBF pair, Abbot's Wood 9.5.15.jpg
BC PBF egg, Abbot's Wood 9.5.15.jpg
BC PBF female, Abbot's Wood 9.5.15.jpg
BC PBF pair (2), Abbot's Wood 9.5.15.jpg
BC Frits Van, Abbot's Wood.jpg
Fritillaries for the Future http://butterfly-conservation.org/48-87 ... earls.html
nomad

Post by nomad »

I spent a delightful day yesterday among the Pearl-bordered Frits at Cirencester Park Woods, Glos. Here are two of my images, more to follow on my diary with a woodland Duke.
470.JPG
374.JPG
jasonbirder

Post by jasonbirder »

Just to add to the Pearl-bordered Fritillary bonanza - belated pics of Pearl-bordered Fritillaries at Cwm Soden (Pembrokeshire) from Bank-holiday Monday.
My first real "trip" of 2015's butterfly season...next up...bring on the Dukes!

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I do love Mike Mullis's ice cream van. The intriguing range of work that butterfliers do to pay for their obsession is quite amazing.

Maybe there could be a simple thread listing what we do (or did) for jobs. Anonymity would no doubt be preferred by many but I don't know how to start a thread that hides contributors' names. Mind you, we would easily guess the real identity of the "exo-biologist". However "Massage Parlour Manager" could be rather more tricky :D

Jack
lee3764

Post by lee3764 »

Grizzled Skipper aberration 'Taras' photographed by me, Lee Slaughter at Penhale Sands, Perranporth, North Cornwall 10th May, 2015. With Robert Slaughter (my eldest son aged 11) and others on Cornwall Butterfly & Moth Society's 1st ever official fieldtrip. Thanks to Paul Browning and Dave Spencer for leading the walk & locating this particular butterfly. At lewast 21 people attended. Thanks to everyone for taking the trouble to attend.
Attachments
Grizzled Skipper 'Taras' 10th May, 2015.jpg
EricY

Post by EricY »

Small Heath out today @ Holme dunes NWT. I did photograph it but discarded it as blades of grass intruded. Eric
Essex Bertie

Post by Essex Bertie »

Saw 4 male Wall Browns today along the sea wall east of Burnham-on-Crouch (Essex) towards Holiwell Point. It's a poorly recorded stretch of coastline all the way up to Bradwell-on-sea, but it's still the highest count here for decades. Encouraging. Also a couple of possible Painted Ladies, but heading east, unexpectedly. Probable migrant Red Admiral just inland.
Yesterday, recorded a Clouded Yellow in Beckton, East London - perhaps flew up the Thames.
Still no Common Blues anywhere.
Attachments
Clouded Yellow-Beckton
Clouded Yellow-Beckton
David M

Post by David M »

Hooray! A Clouded Yellow.

Great spot, Bertie.
NickC

Post by NickC »

I joined an RSPB walk this morning at Fishers Green nature reserve near Waltham Abbey in Essex, primarily to hear Nightingales (we heard about 4). Plenty of butterflies too, I lost count of male orange tips, and managed to photograph a female. Quite a few other whites flying, some probably female orange tips too. We also saw 3 peacocks. Oh, and plenty of banded damoiselles by the river.
ot1.jpg
ot2.jpg
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Saturday 09th
Last year around this time, I met up with Mark Tutton to explore Butser Hill and surrounding environs. Our main aim was to see the Duke of Burgundy Fritillary 8) This year was to be no different except I wouldn't be exploring the gruelling oop hill down dale surrounding environs, and instead just focussing on Butser itself (phew). Due to a good garden moth trapping session the night before I was late in setting off. By the time I arrived at the hill-top car park Mark was already exploring down in the butterfly hotbed that is Rake Bottom.
A IMG_4819 Rake Bottom, Butser Hill.jpg
So I was late but never mind, there hadn't been any suicidal country lane cyclists on the way in this time, and also just as in 2014 the grey clouds started to break up :D . (is it me or have the BBC weather forecasts been poor lately :? )
Getting down the hill is a bit of a challenge in itself. At the brow I came across some hawthorn scrub which was housing Green Hairstreak. The bushes were taking a buffeting from the wind so the butterflies ended up in the grass but would take the opportunity to return to the bushes when the wind eased. This was in contrast to the ones I encountered with Wurzel the week before in Wiltshire, which appeared to prefer being low down in the grass :?: .
Half way down the steep hill (150 – 200ft elevation) a male Duke flitted by unexpectedly :o (as the sun had 'gone behind a cloud'). It landed, made off again, landed etc. each time the wind carrying it further up the hill, but I was able to get close to get some pictures.
B IMG_4677 Duke of Burgundy Fritillary, Butser Hill.jpg
After that I left the Duke to work out how he was going to get back down the hill again to be in with the main colony, and made my way along Rake Bottom where I met up with Mark and Flossie his even more well-behaved Springer Spaniel :) . Mark had already seen plenty of Dukes and also a roosting Orange-tip (but that was some distance away and the returning sun would soon see him off).
It wasn't long before we were encountering Dukes galore amongst the herbaceous vegetation lining the path. In amongst them and to the bushes further in were Green Hairstreak. The number of opportunities to use my Macro were too good to throw in the towel and switch to the Tamron reach lens this early :D .
C IMG_4685 Duke of Burgundy Fritillary, Butser Hill.jpg
D IMG_4688 Green Hairstreak, Butser Hill.jpg
E IMG_4695 Duke of Burgundy Fritillary, Butser Hill.jpg
One of the plants that grows along the path was forget me not which was like a magnet for Green Hairstreak.
F IMG_4840 Green Hairstreak, Butser Hill.jpg
G IMG_4843 Green Hairstreak (4), Butser Hill.jpg
We also saw a Duke nectaring on these plants but unfortunately I wasn't able to get a good picture.
H IMG_4733 Duke of Burgundy Fritillary (female), Butser Hill.jpg
prickles no problem for a Green Hairstreak
prickles no problem for a Green Hairstreak
Two other species of butterfly were also in good numbers that of Dingy and Grizzled Skipper.
J IMG_4690 Grizzled Skipper, Butser Hill.jpg
K IMG_4724 Dingy Skipper, Butser Hill.jpg
Also seen were some Orange-tips, Small Heath; a tatty Peacock and 3 or 4 Brimstones. What I didn't get unlike 2014 were Brown Argus; Small Copper and Common Blue. Perhaps the temperatures have been colder overall than this time last year :?:
L IMG_4709 Small Heath, Butser Hill.jpg
M IMG_4917 Brimstone, Butser Hill.jpg
I was also hoping for a Wood Tiger but not this year. However I did get a female Muslin Moth (Diarsia mendica) and this is the first time I've ever seen the female which is largely day flying. The grey brown males are nocturnal and frequently turn up in the garden moth trap.
N IMG_4722 Muslin Moth (female), Butser Hill.jpg
Mark had brought along his butterfly bins and found them useful for viewing cuckoos which were moving around the trees on the brow of the hill. As there was more than one calling, a melee eventually ensued with two birds which Mark said were both males, putting on an aerial display for us :D . After the 'battle' one must have got the upper hand as only one bird was seen calling.
As well as the Cuckoos there was a Red Kite and a Buzzard being mobbed by a Carrion Crow.
O IMG_4875 Cuckoo, Butser Hill t.jpg
Eventually it was time to go and face the steep climb back to the car-park. Three base-camps were needed for me at least.
P IMG_4944 Butser Hill from base camp 2.jpg
After a late packed lunch (for lost reserves :wink: I made my way home calling in at Botany Bay, Chiddingfold (I parked there no restrictions but evidence of former work) for a Wood White recce. Although it was still sunny and felt 'warm enough', by comparison to Butser it was 'sterile'. The time was around 17:30 and that may have had something to do with it :| .
On my way out I heard the drumming sound of a woodpecker. It was (as per usual) around the other side of the bough that it was hammering against but I persevered and eventually it popped up with what looked like a beakful of moss before making off. Closer inspection of the photo revealed a chick of some description mixed up with I assume is a chunk of nesting material :shock: . I'd read that woodpeckers predate other hole nesting bird's chicks and now I've actually witnessed it.
Male Great Spotted Woodpecker with chick prey
Male Great Spotted Woodpecker with chick prey
Another cracking day :D
S IMG_4790 Duke of Burgundy Fritillary, Butser Hill.jpg
Phil
CJB

Post by CJB »

Hi UK B'ers,

At last I have a picture to upload!

Weirdly cold and windy yesterday in Gloucs, but it did enable me to get this male OT:
Male OT
Male OT
Lovely report from Philzoid and great results; particularly jealous of the cuckoos.

Flutter on!

CJB
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Philzoid does himself no justice - the slope he climbed up & down goes from 270m down to 100m on the valley floor that is about 500ft over a distance of of about 200yds probably one of the steepest climbs in Hampshire - the valley is quite spectacular :D I would recommend a visit to anyone - you have to crane your neck to see the sky when on the valley floor.
There were four cuckoos present and the Dukes did not let us down although they are still not out yet on other parts of the hill so I would think we are a week or two away from peak numbers.
A thoroughly enjoyable if extremely tiring day.
The orange tip Phil missed
The orange tip Phil missed
Attachments
One of the Cuckoos
One of the Cuckoos
Battered Painted Lady seen the following day
Battered Painted Lady seen the following day
Duke nectaring on Field Forget me not
Duke nectaring on Field Forget me not
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.

Return to “Sightings”