Hoggers

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Hoggers

Re: Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

My Uncle Roy is visiting from Canada for a couple of weeks. He keeps talking about Monarch butterflies so I said we've got something rather more exciting over here and arranged to meet up with him, Brother Hoggles and Dad at Dungeness this morning.

The sun was out and so were the Coppers
IMG_7704.JPG
Only a few of the Blackthorns are in flower at the moment but those that were had attracted the butterflies
IMG_7706.JPG
IMG_7707.JPG
I do so enjoy seeing them in amongst the flowers
IMG_7727.JPG
IMG_7731.JPG
IMG_7732.JPG
How well they blend in with the surroundings though
IMG_7723.JPG
We saw 15 Small Coppers in total
IMG_7746.JPG
Three had just the tiniest touches of blue to the hind wings
IMG_7709.JPG
I didn't find any today that had clear blue badges

These two chaps were uncomfortable neighbours
IMG_7736.JPG
They provided us with a great deal of entertainment as they battled against one another
IMG_7738.JPG
IMG_7741.JPG
They were having a right barney
IMG_7742.JPG
We also saw Small Tortoiseshells, Peacocks, a Small White and a Green-veined White.

It was a great day out with the Small Coppers
IMG_7701.JPG
Which we rounded off with a visit to The Britannia!

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Coppers Hoggers, can't wait to see them Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Goldie I hope the Coppers come out for you soon.

I just had time to grab my camera to snap my first Orange Tip of the year as it visited my garden this morning
IMG_7761.JPG
What a treat to have one in the garden again
IMG_7767.JPG
I've got a lot of Garlic Mustard just coming in to flower so hopefully the Orange Tips will keep on coming
IMG_7771.JPG
I also saw my first Speckled Wood of the year, again in the garden but he wouldn't stop for a photo!

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Today has been dull and drizzly but Spring is very much in the air: I heard my first Cuckoo!

Our Blue Tits have returned and yesterday evening as the female settled down for the night I had a glimpse of what looked like a clutch of 8 eggs.

A Blackbird has built itself a nest in the garden but in a very exposed situation and just a couple of feet above the ground. Yesterday while the female was away I saw that there are 2 eggs.

We'll keep an eye on it.

It was very warm and bright yesterday afternoon and for a time there were no less than 4 Holly Blues in the garden
IMG_7778.JPG
two Small Whites and a passing Orange Tip.

The sun has showed some very dramatic prominences over the last few days. Here's an image I took on 23rd April
23april2015b.jpg
23april2015a.jpg
Yesterday I could see that the forest-like proms had changed shape
25april2015b.jpg
25april2015e.jpg
Here's a view of the full disc showing sun spots, filaments and prominences
25april2015a.jpg
And a close up of a spotty region
25april2015d.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great couple of reports Hoggers :D Did Uncle Roy think that Small Coppers rivalled Monarchs? :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Shots of the OT and HB Hoggers Goldie :D

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Wurzel, the Small Coppers won him over in no time at all and now they're his Number One butterfly!

(And quite right too)

Hi Goldie thanks for your comments. I hope the weather is better for butterflies where you are than it is down here today!

No chance of seeing any today as it's so cool and dull so I went up to the woods to see the Bluebells before they're over for another year
P1060598.JPG
P1060602.JPG
A treat for the eye and for the nose as well
P1060603.JPG
The air was sweet with their perfume
P1060604.JPG
P1060607.JPG
Blackcaps and Nightingales were singing
P1060608.JPG
Some Speckled Woods would have been nice but all in all we had a good walk
P1060600.JPG
Sadly, the Holiday forecast doesn't look up to much but maybe the sun will get through if even for a little time and get the butterflies out before we all have to go back to work.

David M

Post by David M »

Lovely images, Hoggers.

One of the finest treats the British countryside can offer.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

A Small White flew past me as I walked the dogs at 7 this morning.

I thought "That's a good sign!"

By 9 I was down at Dungeness on a Small Copper Hunt: and there were plenty to keep me occupied!
IMG_7817.JPG
IMG_7824.JPG
IMG_7834.JPG
I kept a careful note as I went along, doing my best to avoid double counting
IMG_7837.JPG
IMG_7843.JPG
And also tried to record the Blue Badge Holders amongst them
IMG_7788.JPG
IMG_7809.JPG
One of which was this lovely chap with a pale forewing ( a variation I come across now and again)
IMG_7854.JPG
IMG_7857.JPG
IMG_7861.JPG
Out in "The Desert" I came across 4 Grizzled Skippers
IMG_7888.JPG
and also 2 Large Whites and my first Red Admiral of the season.

There were plenty more Coppers too!
IMG_7874.JPG
IMG_7873.JPG
IMG_7878.JPG
IMG_7891.JPG
Enjoying the sunshine
IMG_7895.JPG
IMG_7913.JPG
When I got home I added up my Small Copper Tally for the day : 99 !!

If I'd known when I was there that I needed only one more to reach a hundred I'm sure I could have found it!
IMG_7906.JPG
8 of these had blue badges (at least to some extent, some having just a tiny amount of blue while others wore full regalia)

A cracking day out!

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

When I set out on my walk this morning it was blowing a gale and looked ready to pour hard so I decided not to take my camera with me. But by the time I'd reached the fields the clouds had broken and it became warm quickly. It was then that I saw a little butterfly battling against the wind before crash landing into the long grass. I couldn't guess what it might be so I went over to have a look and saw to my delight that it was a Green Hairstreak. I had no idea they were present in this area. When it moved to a bush I took a quick snap with my mobile phone
IMG_1003.JPG
Looking further I saw a GH flitting about but whether it was the same one I'd seen earlier I could not say.

On a calmer day I will go back and make a good search (and I'll take my camera!)

The Small Copper I found at Dungeness yesterday
IMG_7861.JPG
reminded me of another I found there last September
IMG_6762.JPG
IMG_6903.JPG
(And about a week afterwards I found this one but I'm not sure whether it was the same butterfly that had sustained some injury in the meantime, or a different individual
IMG_7026.JPG
)

It's a small sample size but I wonder if the fact that all have pale right forewings indicates a genetic cause rather than accident or pathology?

I will be keeping my eyes open for Small Coppers showing this kind of variation and if anyone out there is lucky enough to find one I'd be delighted to hear from them.

kevling

Post by kevling »

Hoggers,

Liked the photos of the Small Coppers (saw my first of the year at the weekend). Great photos too of the bluebells.

Regards Kev

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Kev, I wish I could add "Scratch and Sniff" photos of the bluebells, the scent was gorgeous!

I was very happy to find a female Orange Tip in my garden this afternoon
IMG_7916.JPG
IMG_7938.JPG
It was hanging on for dear life in the gale to the Garlic Mustard that I've planted especially for it
IMG_7918.JPG
And a Green-veined White was sheltering near-by
IMG_7919.JPG
IMG_7921.JPG
I also saw a Peacock, a Large White and a Holly Blue in the garden.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic photos Hoggers , all of them, I love the Small Coppers I've not seen them here yet, pity I can't get down to Kent now for the Grizzled Skippers, not got them yetGoldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Fantastic Small Coppers Hoggers, they are not out yet around my patch so until they are I will just have to feast my eyes on yours :D

Good find with the Green Hairstreak, an often overlooked and under recorded species.

Cheers,

Neil

David M

Post by David M »

Hoggers wrote:I wish I could add "Scratch and Sniff" photos of the bluebells, the scent was gorgeous!
This, believe it or not, was on Radio 2's Simon Mayo show this afternoon....how intoxicating the scent of a bluebell wood can be.

They broke it down into various components. Those I can remember were Lemon Grass, Mango, Ginger and Lychee.

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hi ,Hoggers,
Great Small Copper shots as usual, you may want to take a look at the incredible shot taken in the Dungeness bird obs garden ,on the recent sitings page.(Dunge bird obs website)
Regards Allan.W.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hello, thank you for all your comments (and yes, Allan I had seen the marvellous photo of the flowers smothered in Dungeness Small Coppers! Wonderful!)

I spent a couple of hours there this afternoon. It was warm and sunny but blowing a gale. So windy that the Coppers were mostly keeping their heads down so I had to work harder to find them
IMG_8010.JPG
IMG_8011.JPG
I counted 34 today
IMG_7957.JPG
IMG_7962.JPG
IMG_7963.JPG
Including a couple of fully qualified Blue Badge Holders
IMG_7944.JPG
Some already quite bashed about
IMG_7980.JPG
Had it not been so blowy I've no doubt I would have seen many more, but that just gives me a reason to go back
IMG_7969.JPG
Not that I need a reason!

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

A few days ago I came across Green Hairstreaks on a patch of land where I've walked for years. I'd no idea they were there. That day was very windy and I decided to go back when it was a bit calmer in the hope of establishing how many butterflies are living there.

This is how the area looks
IMG_8073.JPG
The kind of terrain that Shakespeare described as "Bosky".

When I got closer to the bushes I immediately found a Green Hairstreak
IMG_8022.JPG
Over the next hour I counted 9 individuals
IMG_8029.JPG
Some were leaning against the sun
IMG_8025.JPG
Others were chasing each other in furious little dog-fights or just watching the world go by
IMG_8033.JPG
IMG_8053.JPG
IMG_8056.JPG
This one imitated a Praying Mantis
IMG_8069.JPG
It's very satisfying to have found a healthy colony of this delightful little butterfly right on my doorstep but a bit embarrassing to admit that I've probably been walking right past them for years!
IMG_8060.JPG
Is it my imagination or is he smiling at me?

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

What a lucky find for you Hoggers, I've been to the same place for Hair Streaks now for three years so from now on you should be seeing them every year, lovely photos as well Goldie :D

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

I will certainly be keeping an eye on the Green Hairstreaks, Goldie. What a stroke of luck having them so close to home!

I went to Dungeness this morning. Rather cloudy at first but the sun came out and so did the Small Coppers
IMG_8081.JPG
IMG_8118.JPG
IMG_8120.JPG
IMG_8129.JPG
IMG_8131.JPG
IMG_8224.JPG
IMG_8225.JPG
I had three new species for me this year too: Small Heath
IMG_8192.JPG
Brown Argus
IMG_8217.JPG
And Common Blue
IMG_8166.JPG
IMG_8210.JPG
There were several Grizzled Skippers in the trapping area and one in the moat
IMG_8152.JPG
IMG_8154.JPG
IMG_8155.JPG
IMG_8160.JPG
I saw 77 Small Coppers on my walk
IMG_8175.JPG
IMG_8190.JPG
IMG_8194.JPG
IMG_8200.JPG
Looking lovely in amongst the flowers
IMG_8202.JPG
Or perched on a pebble
IMG_8103.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”