Timing of emergence in Males and Females

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Crispin

Timing of emergence in Males and Females

Post by Crispin »

We all know that males emerge before the females – usually.
But in warmer areas such as southern Europe is the time difference between emergence of the sexes lesser?

With Chalkhill, for example, I would expect to see the first female 5 to 7 days after a male. But in warmer years that could be less with both M&F emerging at almost the same time? Is this so and why?
Chris Jackson

Re: Timing of emergence in Males and Females

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hello Crispin,

I spotted my first male Orange Tip near home on the outskirts of Marseilles on April 4th.
Today is April 15th and I havn't yet seen a female. I must say that unfortunately I can't cover exactly the same patch each day (work / home patches). :(
To be scientifically accurate I would have to cover the same patch each day, but I will come back to this thread when I spot my first female. :D
Chris
Mark Senior

Post by Mark Senior »

Agree that this seems to be a general rule , but strangely the first sighting of a Grizzled Skipper this year at Mill Hill , Shoreham ( a well visited site ) was a female and she was egg laying .
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

I've only seen one Orange-tip this year in an area that they are regularly seen and it was a female(?)

Phil
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Usurally it is males that emerge first,but not always- my first Large White this year was female, as was my first home Orange Tip which i reared last year.
Crispin

Post by Crispin »

Interesting. How many Large Whites & Orange Tips did you rear? And any idea what % were M&F?
kevling

Post by kevling »

Crispin,

I have reared Large Whites this year (see my PD for more details).
Although I will post a finished report, currently 13 have emerged in the last week and the females have it by a majority of 7/6.

Kind Regards
Kev

Return to “General”