Female Provence Orange-tip

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
CFB

Female Provence Orange-tip

Post by CFB »

A couple of weeks ago down near my local quarry I saw a male Provence Orange-tip, which is not very common in my area. I didn't get any photos. Today I went down there again, and although it was cloudy, the first butterfly I saw was a female Provence Orange-tip, the first female I've ever seen. She stayed on her Biscutella laevigata while I took some photos and was still there ten minutes or so later when I continued my walk. On my way back she was still there, but as it was then sunny, she flew off as soon as she saw me :( .
IMG_2886.JPG
Isn't she cute :D :D :D.
--
Colin
David M

Re: Female Provence Orange-tip

Post by David M »

Lovely image, Colin.

Brings back happy recent memories.

I'm surprised they're scarce in your neck of the woods though.
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

I love this photo, simply stunning. I'm hoping to photograph this species this year, and I will be more than pleased it I can capture an image like yours.

Regards
Mike
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

A lovely picture. I saw plenty of these in Gibraltar last year. In France,though common near the Med,they quickly seen to dissappear once you leave this area. A great photo of a lovely species.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Lucky you, Colin.

If you want a photo Mike, I would say you have no more than 2 to 3 weeks before this species is gone.

Chris
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Hi Chris,
I'm hoping that they will still be around in the French Pyrenees later in May. Fingers crossed!

Regards
Mike
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

cjackson wrote:If you want a photo Mike, I would say you have no more than 2 to 3 weeks before this species is gone.
False Apollo wrote:I'm hoping that they will still be around in the French Pyrenees later in May. Fingers crossed!
They fly in the Pyrenees until well into July. This picture was taken on 22nd July 2005 in the Val d'Aran:

In many, many July visits to the Val (so many they did a double-page spread on me in the local newspaper one year) I have never failed to see Provence orange tips.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Thanks Guy,
Looking forward to my visit. Nice picture by the way.

Regards
Mike
CFB

Post by CFB »

David, Mike, essexbuzzard and Chris,

Thanks for your comments.

"Papillons de jour - Atlas de PACA" does indeed give the impression that I should see more of this species in my "neck of the woods" than I do.

Cheers,
Colin
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Padfield wrote:......
False Apollo wrote:I'm hoping that they will still be around in the French Pyrenees later in May. Fingers crossed!
They fly in the Pyrenees until well into July. ....

Guy
That’s good news, I’m hoping to be in the Pyrennees, myself, in June.
Chris
CFB

Post by CFB »

Having said the other day that I don't often see Provence Orange-tips, today they were more numerous than regular Orange-tips :) . I managed to get a photo of this female on Biscutella laevigata,
IMG_2945.JPG
then a few minutes later I encountered this courting, and subsequently mating, couple on what could be Erysimum nevadense.
IMG_2950.JPG
I don't think it's the same female as in the first picture. I almost missed seeing them, but the orange on the male caught my attention as I was walking past.

There were several more Provence Orange-tips down in the quarry, but I wasn't able to get any more photos :( .
--
Colin
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I love that second picture - she looks all soft and new.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
CFB

Post by CFB »

This afternoon, down by the quarry, I was looking at the Biscutella laevigata plants (there are not all that many of them) to see if there were any Provence Orange-tip ova or larvae. I didn't find any, but on one plant I did find a mating couple of Western Dappled Whites. They were very difficult to photograph due to the wind and they were holding on to each other and the plant like grim death. But more by luck than judgement I did manage a reasonable photo.
IMG_3243.JPG
--
Colin

Return to “Overseas”