Kev Ling

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
kevling

Re: Kev Ling

Post by kevling »

We rescued some Large White Larvae last November before they perished with no food plants. The first one hatched today and was released this afternoon into the Garden whilst it was sunny (6 hours old). After taking a little sustenance on some Bugle, it was off. Managed a couple of photos before it fled.
LW - Hatched 28.4.15.JPG
LW - Hatched 28.4.15 (1).JPG
LW - Hatched 28.4.15 (2).JPG
Regards Kev

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
kevling

Post by kevling »

We are continuing with our study of Large White at home and this morning a further four adults had emerged (2 male/2 female). I managed to secure a single record shot of a pupa in it's last hour before the adult merged.
Just prior to Hatching.JPG
What follows are some rather poor quality images of an adult emerging (I did not think it just to expose it to a flash). But it gives you an idea, nonetheless. Please stick with me, the photo quality does improve later on :lol:
Hatching (1).JPG
Hatching (2).JPG
Hatching (3).JPG
One of the females released this afternoon after the rain had passed.
Hatched 29.4.15 (2).JPG
One of the males released this afternoon.
Hatched 29.4.15 (8).JPG
Here follows two photos taken of the same male within seconds of each after. What is interesting is the movement of the abdomen between the two, revealing what I assume is the male's genitalia?
Hatched 29.4.15 (4).JPG
Hatched 29.4.15 (6).JPG
Regards Kev

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Nice images of your Large Whites, Kev. It's not always easy to get the best shots :D :wink:

David M

Post by David M »

Interesting shots, Kev. Always great to see a butterfly emerge from its chrysalis.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots Kev - Large Whites are often tricky especially the open wing shots :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

kevling

Post by kevling »

Maximus: Thanks for your kind comments. It's better to get a shot, that none at all
David: Thanks also. It is great to see them emerge. Even if I 'm in the habit of missing them by seconds each time :lol:
Wurzel: I know what you mean about open wing shots. That's why I resort to getting them when their semi comatosed :lol:

Here are some more images of my Large Whites, just prior to and just after hatching. Once again, I turn my back on them for a couple of minutes and they pop out (if you listen carefully you can hear my Muttley curse).

Just prior to hatching;
Near Emergence.JPG
I nip off to get some breakfast, and this happens;
30 seconds old.JPG
Released in the garden;
Released 1.JPG
Released 3.JPG
Released 4.JPG
and finally, one female decides it does want to leave us and flies back onto my daughter;
Released 2.JPG
Regards Kev

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Kev.,
The Orange Tips seem to be more scattered around here this year. But I saw quite a few Males today
whilst driving. By chance you'll find some unexpectedly ( that's how I found that Female ) :o

Best wishes ,
TREVOR.

PS. Nice Large Whites.

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Kev.,

Yes, that Holly Blue was one of the great moments , made even better as it was unexpected. But they
can turn up anywhere, as i'm sure yours did.

All the best,
TREVOR.

kevling

Post by kevling »

Thanks for previous comments Trevor :D

The last installment of ourLarge White breeding follows.
There were a total of 22 caterpillars, of which just three climbed up the walls of the house to pupate. One of those never made it to pupation and of the other two, just one hatched (female).
19 caterpillars were rescued from the wilted Nasturtiums and after fattening up,pupated in our breeding cage. Just one failed to pupate with the other 18 all safely released in early May. Of those 18, 11 were female and 7 male.
There were no parasites visible on the small number that failed to make adulthood.

Last 2015 hatching.JPG
Last Release 10.5.15 (3).JPG
Last Release 10.5.15 (6).JPG
Last Release 10.5.15 (8).JPG
Regards Kev

kevling

Post by kevling »

After a very barren period with out any Orange Tip sightings, my patience was finally rewarded at my local (Belstead Meadows, Ipswich).
After seeing a number of active males, I came to a patch of Garlic Mustard that had good numbers of eggs on show (+15).
Belstead Tunnel 10.5.15 (5).JPG
Belstead Tunnel 10.5.15.JPG
Then my first female of the year (one of three seen in total)
Female - Belstead Tunnel 10.5.15 (2).JPG
Female - Belstead Tunnel 10.5.15 (3).JPG
Also of note was this Holly Blue that seemed very content to be photographed
HB Belsetad Meadow 10.5.15 (5).JPG
HB Belsetad Meadow 10.5.15.JPG
With Brimstone, Speckled Wood, Small Tortoiseshell,Peacock, Red Admiral,Comma, Green Veined White and Large White also seen, it turned out to be the best day of the spring so far.

Kind Regards
Kev

kevling

Post by kevling »

The first Orange Tip larvae are hatching in my quite corner of Ipswich.
These first instar were seen today.
1st instar Orange Tip - Belstead Meadow 15.5.15.JPG
1st instar Orange Tip - Belstead Meadow 15.5.15 (2).JPG
1st instar Orange Tip - Belstead Meadow 15.5.15 (5).JPG
Having photographed my first female last weekend, I managed a male today preparing to roost.
Belstead Meadows 15.5.15.JPG
Regards Kev

kevling

Post by kevling »

Now that the Orange Tips are out in force, I'm getting my fill while they last. Once again I ventured to my local hot spot where I found eggs and larvae last week.
This pair were so focused on themselves, I managed to get close and capture the following images, before a second male joined them at the end.
2.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
7.jpg
Regards Kev

kevling

Post by kevling »

Having a fairly urban position at home, we were pleased to welcome our first ever recorded Orange Tip to the garden.
Unfortunately I missed it due to work, but Mrs L captured this female in addition to a Holly Blue.
Garden - may 2015.JPG
Garden - may 2015 (5).JPG
Garden - may 2015 (4).JPG
Regards Kev

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Kev,
Congrats. with the Female Holly Blue, open wings, lovely colour. This species seems to have done
well this Spring. I have found that a shot like yours is more likely to be achieved on a blustery day,
with cloud and intermittent sunshine. It was these conditions that worked for me.

Keep 'em coming,
TREVOR

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots Kev, especially the OT action shots they're fab :) :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Hi Kev,

Great shots of the Orange action :)

Re Dukes, the weather forcast for the weekend doesn't look too bad at all and you won't be too late, a lot of the ones I was seeing looked very fresh, especially the 2 females pictured in my PD so I think your chances of getting some good sightings are pretty good. I'm going for another Duke experience on Bison Hill this Saturday, they're my new favourite British butterfly :D

Buggy

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Some great images Kev, a lovely sequence of shots to illustrate your posts...well done that man :wink:

Regards,

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
kevling

Post by kevling »

Thanks Trevor. Mrs L takes the credit for that photo. Relaxing in the garden while her old man works. :lol:

Wurzel & Bill; Thanks for your comments. As my favourite butterfly, those OT will be one of the highlights of my year without a doubt. First time I've ever observed them mating.

Buggy; Thanks too. I'm contemplating a trip to Bison Hill on Saturday, myself. We may well see each other.

Regards Kev

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Just catching up on your diary Kev and they are smashing shots of the OT's :mrgreen:

kevling

Post by kevling »

Thanks Pauline. Every once in a while, my limited skills with a camera bear fruit :lol:

Return to “Personal Diaries”