Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Eggs For Easter

I have yet to be at Ferring Rife under sufficiently good weather conditions to determine the size of this year’s crop of Small Tortoiseshells. During my last visit (27th March) it was too cool and cloudy, and I only saw 16 before returning to the car, at which point the sun broke through and the temperature rose rapidly. With only 10 minutes before my deadline to leave for a meeting, I quickly retraced my steps up the east bank. Over only a third of the usual stretch I survey, I counted 64 Small Tortoiseshell and 2 Peacock.

However, today (31st March) it was the turn of strong winds to disrupt my count. I only managed to find 13, but 11 were females, either egg-laying or taking a rest between episodes of doing so. This can be a prolonged business and one female I watched laid approximately 100 eggs, shifting slightly to create a second batch when the first grew to a pile 3 eggs deep.

The fact that almost all seen under such testing conditions for flight were female butterflies, demonstrates the difference in priorities between the sexes. Today was unsuitable for showboating, scrapping and wooing, so the males were largely inactive. I then moved on to the shelter of the chalk garden at Highdown, where 2 Peacock and a Red Admiral were enjoying the abundant early nectar.
BC Small Tortoiseshell egg batch, Ferring Rife 31.3.15.jpg

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Paul and Trevor. David, Jack and others - watch this space!

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Neil Hulme wrote:Thanks, Paul and Trevor. David, Jack and others - watch this space!
I've been watching this space for several days now, Neil, and I'm not sure I can stand any more!! :twisted:

This has to be something significant?

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

New Challenges

Tomorrow morning I start a part-time job with Butterfly Conservation. For me, it's the 'dream job'. That's all I'll say for now, as I don't wish to pre-empt official announcements, press releases, or the project blog which I will be running throughout the course of the project - that will soon tell you all!

However, that does mean that my priorities will change for a while, not least in terms of time - I'm going to be VERY busy. Far from abandoning UKB, this new role does mean that my contributions must be modified over the next few years. My responsibilities as a BC employee are different to those of a volunteer, so it is very important to distinguish personal views from those of the organisation.

Over the years I've had the great fortune to meet a huge number of butterfly enthusiasts, and many people associate me with BC through my voluntary activities. If, let's say, I posted that I had become convinced that Large Tortoiseshell was breeding on the IOW, it would now be too easy for that view to become attributed to BC, which might differ in its position. For that reason, my Personal Diary will become rather sparse for the duration of the project, although I will post the occasional message relating to my new activities.

My sightings will still appear on the Sightings pages of UKB and BC Sussex, but they will be straightforward records of what I'm seeing, which hopefully will still assist many others in their quest to do likewise.

Much as I've enjoyed keeping a diary for the last few years, and the debates surrounding a wide number of issues, the opportunities I now have of making a real difference to species other than my beloved Duke of Burgundy, more than make up for what is, after all, a suspension, rather than a conclusion. And the Duke won't get forgotten either, as I'll still be doing voluntary work in his service during my time off.

Without wishing to make it sound like a "goodbye", which it isn't, I would like to thank everyone who has read my Personal Diary over the last few years. I may not have time to comment, but I'll still be reading yours.

BWs, Neil

David M

Post by David M »

Thanks for the update, Neil. I'll sleep easier now. :)

BC have selected wisely. I wish you all the best.

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Congratulations Neil, all the best.
Chris

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Congrats Neil. BC's gain.

I take it you won't have to move house and home to Dorset? Mind you, Dorset is arguably the best butterfly county in England (after Sussex of course!)

Jack

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Good luck Neil (as if its needed)!! Hope to still see you out in the field from time to time. Look forward to seeing the odd report from you.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Congratulations, Neil i'm sure you'll be much appreciated by BC, you're certainly the right man for the job :D :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

My congratulations as well Neil, I'll keep looking for your imports Goldie :D

selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Brilliant news Neil. Well done

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Neil,

Let me add my congratulations. I will miss reading your own personal viewpoints in your diary but can appreciate that the demands on your time will be different now.

All the best in your new venture,

Neil.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Fritillaries for the Future

Many thanks to you all, for both the kind messages left on UKB, or sent directly.

I have now started work as Butterfly Conservation's Fritillaries for the Future Project Officer. This is a part-time (3 days per week) position for the 3 year duration of the project, which is funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund. I will continue to work as a volunteer for BC Sussex Branch in my free time, but it is important that these roles are clearly separated (hence the limited use of my UKB Personal Diary during the project period, to avoid any confusion).

Details of the project can be found on the BC national website here http://butterfly-conservation.org/48-87 ... earls.html, on the BC Sussex website here http://www.sussex-butterflies.org.uk/Fr ... uture.html and a list of project events (which will be updated) can be found here http://www.sussex-butterflies.org.uk/events.html

I won't be able to respond to any enquiries about the project through this forum, but please feel free to contact me or book attendance at project events through the links provided on those pages.

Best Wishes, Neil
BC Sussex PBF.jpg
BC Sussex SPBF.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

Thanks for the info, Neil, and best wishes for the next three years.

peterc

Post by peterc »

Neil,

Congratulations on your new 3-year contract with Butterfly Conservation. I remember seeing Pearl-bordered Fritillaries at Park Corner NR some 20 years ago and it is really sad to see that the Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary is no longer present. I am sure you've read about the dramatic numbers of PBF at Grafton Wood last year after re-introduction of the species there in 2011 when 68 adults were released.

Good luck with your project.

ATB

Peter

IainLeach
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by IainLeach »

Sounds good Neil, congratulations and I'm sure you'll really enjoy yourself

Iain

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots Neil, hope to find them soon at Gaits Barrow but I believe it's Snowed there today so it may be quite a wait :D Goldie :D

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Singing The Blues

Hi all,

Here's a rare return to my Personal Diary, not least to prove I'm alive and kicking! My role as Fritillaries for the Future Project Officer has kept me incredibly busy over the first few months - but happily so! There is a great deal to do, but I'm optimistic that it can be done. I'll provide an update in due course.

Not much time for narrative, I'm afraid, but here are a few images of the stunningly beautiful Large Blues of Daneway Banks, taken on Friday 19 June. I estimated that 20+ individuals were active (possibly significantly more) and I saw three mating pairs. On two occasions I watched the courtship prior to copulation, both being rather different in nature. One pairing lasted a very brief 16 minutes!

BWs, Neil
UKB Large Blue female 1, Daneway Banks 19.6.15.jpg
UKB Large Blue female (underside) 1, Daneway Banks 19.6.15.jpg
UKB Large Blue pair, Daneway Banks 19.6.15.jpg
UKB Large Blue female 2, Daneway Banks 19.6.15.jpg
UKB Large Blue female (underside) 2, Daneway Banks 19.6.15.jpg

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Beautiful photos Neil. Looking forward to your update! :)

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely photos Neil, I've yet to see this Butterfly and didn't realise it's markings were so out standing, Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”