Red Peacock

Discussion forum for sightings.
richardjackie

Red Peacock

Post by richardjackie »

Hi there

This is my first post as I have had nothing remarkable to contribute before, I think the world of your forum & check it regularly, which is always a joy especially now as the procession of treats has just begun.

We are lucky to live close to Denbies & Bookham Common, really though the whole area is studded with little gem like spots we have discovered over the summers (apologies to Northern posters, do those living on the Continent ever apologise?).

Anyway we were in Arlington nr Lewes on Saturday when a Peacock landed on the path in front of us, unlike the Blind Peacock picture in the Butterflies of Surrey book it had no blue at all just red grading to black. Needless to say I didn't get a picture as it just as quickly disappeared up into the widest blue. Is this that unusual?

Also in our local paper last weekend someone reported a Purple Emperor in Kingswood, Surrey. Could that be an escapee or somesuchlike?

thanks

richard
Jack Harrison

Re: Red Peacock

Post by Jack Harrison »

Also in our local paper last weekend someone reported a Purple Emperor in Kingswood, Surrey. Could that be an escapee or some such like?
My guess is a mis-identification or a simple mis-naming - a bit like the report of many "Scarce Tortoiseshells" last summer along the Thames. Totally wrong time of year for Purple Emperor - unless captive breeding has brought it forward by some two months.

Jack
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

[quote="richardjackie"] ... apologies to Northern posters, do those living on the Continent ever apologise? ....

Hi Richard,
No need to apologise to anybody. I love looking into the UK scene. I love to see the beautiful photos taken by the UK members of those lovely species that exist in the UK, species that I can only dream of here in the South of France (Brown Hairstreak being my favourite fantasy !).
Looking forward to hearing more of your news.
Chris
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Variant Peacocks at this time of year, have overwintered, so are the result of Last Summers weather conditions, if not a genetic form. I have seen a jet black peacock with a silver wing edge border at Hutchinson's Bank in the past, thought i had a Camberwell Beauty, but a very feint Black eye marking could be seen. These colour variants are often formed while the wing colours are forming in the pupa a day or so before the butterfly is about to hatch, extreme warmth or cold conditions can produce these butterflies.

No Purple Emperors would be seen at this time of year, as the overwintering caterpillar has only just started to feed again in the last month. Even in captivity it would be difficult to produce an adult butterfly this early. Could be an escapee from a Butterfly House, there were Purple and White Butterflies this year at Wisley.
David M

Post by David M »

Shame you couldn't get an image, Richard. That specimen would have been very interesting to see by the sound of it.
richardjackie

Post by richardjackie »

Thanks for your replies...

Yes, I thought it was more likely to be misidentification, a flashy Red Admiral perhaps. I did wonder about something from Wisley too, it is about 10 miles southwest of us.

Martin thanks for lending me your knowledge (I will try & retain it, although even if I don't I am sure it has enriched me) & thanks for showing me the best spots on Hutchinson's Bank last May. See you there on a sunny morning soon I hope.

richard

Return to “Sightings”